Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:42:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get free power?  (Read 6002 times)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 12:46:51 AM

There is no free power. Every source has it`s cost, even solar system must be build, purchased and needs some maintenance. If someone has a free power, then he steel it and consume as add cost for the someone else.

If i don't pay for my electricity, then its free electricity for me. Doesn't matter if the electricity we get is the government's responsibility. You can say that the taxes pay the electricity, so its not free;

But that is moot, because i would not pay more if i use more electricity. I would just pay a fix amount for having electricity. Therefore my electric cost for using 1 miner would be the same as not mining at all.

Therefore for me, mining would be free.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 12:54:14 AM

There is no free power. Every source has it`s cost, even solar system must be build, purchased and needs some maintenance. If someone has a free power, then he steel it and consume as add cost for the someone else.

If i don't pay for my electricity, then its free electricity for me. Doesn't matter if the electricity we get is the government's responsibility. You can say that the taxes pay the electricity, so its not free;

But that is moot, because i would not pay more if i use more electricity. I would just pay a fix amount for having electricity. Therefore my electric cost for using 1 miner would be the same as not mining at all.

Normally it's not the government footing the bill on electricity but a landlord or parents, etc.   Are you living in something that is like government assisted?   

Or is it a company/person who you pay a fixed bill to?   Most fall into this category very few I think have government paying electricity.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8008

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:00:01 AM

I round up bums, and dangle $10 and a few beers in front of them while they walk in a big hamster wheel hooked to a generator.  Grin

Yeah good luck with that.  If bums were willing to work for money and beer, they wouldn't be bums.  You'd have more success with big hamsters.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:09:13 AM

Normally it's not the government footing the bill on electricity but a landlord or parents, etc.   Are you living in something that is like government assisted?  

Or is it a company/person who you pay a fixed bill to?   Most fall into this category very few I think have government paying electricity.

You're pretty much right. I formatted the sentence that way just to debunk the "Free doesn't exist" argument, if in effect you don't pay more if you consume more and its legit, then its "Free" to use more. Sure there is always a cost to production, but there is not obligatory a cost to raising consumption.

I said government because since the electricity production here is Government owned which make the electric cost cheap, is thus the reason why those flat rate deal exist with landlords of any kind in the first place.

Personally i deal with a big company, in a big apartment block complex. I don't think its a big deal that i take 200$ of electricity per month during winter when i pay 4 time that as rent. And i don't really think they care, when me using that much electricity doesn't even raise the average of electric cost in the block by 2$.

If you had individual meters and the landlord was just a dude owning a tri-plex. Then yeah they get stingy when you use more electricity than you should. It has happened. Which is probably what most people everywhere are used to.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:07:49 AM

I had free power a couple of times - in apartments with "utilities included", but with VERY limited number of outlets and power available.
It's quite a bit more common in small offices, but STILL with limited outets and power available.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:16:22 PM

In my area you can rent small office spaces for around $650 USD a month. Its in a new steel and concrete building so sound is not an issue. Power is included in the rent. You can get up to three 20A circuits so if you get them switched to 240V sockets that's about 12,000W (10,000W to be safe) of free power. I looked into it and did a tour, even got quotes on the upgrades (about $1,000). In the end the free power pays the rent and then some. It was not a bad deal but $650 a month is not "free".

BTW, they had no way of figuring out how much power any one office was using because all the offices in a quadrant were hooked up to the same meter. Not the worst idea in the world, but equivalent to ~$0.09 per Kwh and free rent. The local rate is $0.11 per Kwh in homes so its still 20% savings over me hosting at home...
Vika NSFW

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 07:36:00 PM

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:52:21 PM

Heck of a solar setup Vika NSFW.  I might suggest moving from the Jalapeno to a more modern one.  If you used like a compac seems like you would get a lot more life out of battery.  It would not ROI... but would be a fun project.
BTCish

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:54:18 PM

Those solar panels are awesome. But using miners for heating house is common thing, very efficient in some cases. That how it's comes for free.

Vika NSFW

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 07:55:17 PM

If you used like a compac

this are not my pictures

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 08:06:12 PM

If you used like a compac

this are not my pictures

Ahhh IC.  Next time I suggest to link to original source or mention it's not yours.

Just scrolling through page it appeared to be yours.  Any kind of words saying source would solve this.
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:24:41 PM

I round up bums, and dangle $10 and a few beers in front of them while they walk in a big hamster wheel hooked to a generator.  Grin

Yeah good luck with that.  If bums were willing to work for money and beer, they wouldn't be bums.  You'd have more success with big hamsters.

I tried to get funding to make genetically engineered hamster in the lending section but no one lent me the funds. Sad

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 11:00:42 PM

I tried to get funding to make genetically engineered hamster in the lending section but no one lent me the funds. Sad

It's not the worst idea out there.  Took me a minute to find the material but at least you are not making an altcoin in hopes to fund solar technology.   - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1214592.msg12734126#msg12734126  , about coin dev - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1204912.0

And if the whole altcoin idea does not pan out try to get people to join and do the work - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1220483

I am amazed sometimes what people think others will invest in.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 07:42:35 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2015, 08:13:11 AM by Amph

there is no free, power, even solar or wind, or what you want require initial investment, what people want to say with free power is

abusing power of other(like student in college) or stealing it like soe russian, with the magnet trick(apprently still working there)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 07:59:13 AM

there is no free, power, even solar or wind, or what you want require initial investment, what people want to say with free power is

1) abusing power of other(like student in college) or stealing it like soe russian, with the magnet trick(apprently still working there)

I don't know on college student depends on contract if it's abuse.  I personally did not bring miners with me when I was in university... I just did not want sound/heat so mined and paid electricity at family home.   

One apartment I had had a 25 dollar cap on electricity. It was student apartments and costed a small fortune but each roommate could not get charged more then 25 extra per month no matter electricity bill.  But I did not want to have my roommates paying that, and again did not really want miner in room so did not mine there. But I could have with the policy they had.  But again it was student housing with 2 pools, tons of extras, so they charged a ton and did not really care on electricity.
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 08:26:07 AM

@ Vika NSFW Do you have the source for those Solar Mining pictures?

The issue I am intrigued to see an answer to is what do people do when the battery runs flat and the Sun's not out?

Do they just leave the setup to it's own devices, Sun comes out get's some charge and runs again? My concern is if the Miner takes more power than the panels can supply then the batteries will get no charge and the Miner will do a slow on  off cycle. Or do people include some sort of controller to allow the batteries to get half charged before mining starts again?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
Vika NSFW

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2015, 10:33:35 AM

@ Vika NSFW Do you have the source for those Solar Mining pictures?

check where they hosted and tineye + google image search

Check Your local SunPower sales agent

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 12:25:22 PM

All the people that claim having a free power on this forum are probably getting it or it's included in their rent of the apartment, office space or something like this!

I don't see how else can they get it? Well it always is a possibility of stealing electricity or messing with the electric distribution measuring systems!
javierfjavier

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 03:32:04 PM

Sadly for my QOL, here in my country (a oil-rich country in the north of southamerica) the power is ridiculously cheap. My house has 2 12kBTU air conditioner, a couple of fridges, few tvs and aprox 2kW more of electronics (computers, miners, etc) and I pay a legal monthly flat rate of 0.3 usd.

Yes, 0.30 usd. Monthly

Yes, monthly.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 08:06:39 PM

Sadly for my QOL, here in my country (a oil-rich country in the north of southamerica) the power is ridiculously cheap. My house has 2 12kBTU air conditioner, a couple of fridges, few tvs and aprox 2kW more of electronics (computers, miners, etc) and I pay a legal monthly flat rate of 0.3 usd.

Yes, 0.30 usd. Monthly

Yes, monthly.

What's the price per unit there?
You should start a mining company like hashnest or mining sweden (you'd make a bit, if you charge at slightly less than their rates!) I assume land is cheap there, it is quite a large country in comparison to where I live in the UK.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: