Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:46:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I earn trust on Bitcointalk?  (Read 775 times)
cpfreeplz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 07:55:42 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2015, 09:12:48 PM by cpfreeplz

What with me being new to this forum no one has any reason to trust me. Which obviously I don't blame them at all! I'm never going to need a loan (I don't like paying interest) so how else could I earn trust?

Seems like an obvious answer "do something trustworthy" but I'd really like someone to explain it in a little more detail.

Also can Newbie's give positive or negative trust on someone's account? It seem like you shouldn't be able to make an account one day and give someone + or - trust the next.

If there's already a sticky about this could you lead me to it? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: HERE'S A GREAT POST BY THEYMOS TO UNDERSTAND "TRUST" MORE
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=211858.0
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Studio60

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 08:29:21 PM

One thing you can do is offer free escrow services. There is a user called Monbux with a ton of trusted feedback from doing this. You do need to be trustworthy to get started, but you can start small. So for example, start in the currency exchange section whenever you need to trade bitcoin for Paypal or something. Start with small amounts and ask for positive feedback for successful trades. Once you start having trusted feedback you can offer free escrow services where you hold a small amount of bitcoin for people and settle disputes if something goes wrong. 
XERES

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 08:33:53 PM

buy or sell equipment, give both positive ratings of people with honest and most importantly just post, a few badges can go a long way

vendetahome

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 09:50:17 PM

you can earn trust only by doing some deals with the reputable members besides that i doubt anything else is possible in my opinion
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2015, 10:00:11 PM

One thing you can do is offer free escrow services. There is a user called Monbux with a ton of trusted feedback from doing this. You do need to be trustworthy to get started, but you can start small. So for example, start in the currency exchange section whenever you need to trade bitcoin for Paypal or something. Start with small amounts and ask for positive feedback for successful trades. Once you start having trusted feedback you can offer free escrow services where you hold a small amount of bitcoin for people and settle disputes if something goes wrong. 

With all due respect, starting out offering escrow services is a sure way to be stamped as not being trustworthy.
I have seen many users getting a very bad start by doing this.

The best way to "earn" trust is to start with being a good community member, make good posts and contribute the community.
The actual "trust" is in most cases given based on a some type of trade or business relation.

In order to trade, then will you need a product, either digital, physical or a service.
In any cases will you have to use a recognized escrow for the trade, most people will not trust a person with no record.

After some time will you start to have a trade record and together with your community contribution can the person that potentially will trust you have an idea what type of person/trader you are and use this as parameter in the trust evaluation of you.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
zencomp

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★ Nakedbitcoins.com ★

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 11:04:43 PM

With all due respect, starting out offering escrow services is a sure way to be stamped as not being trustworthy.

The best way to "earn" trust is to start with being a good community member, make good posts and contribute the community.
The actual "trust" is in most cases given based on a some type of trade or business relation.

In order to trade, then will you need a product, either digital, physical or a service.
In any cases will you have to use a recognized escrow for the trade, most people will not trust a person with no record.

After some time will you start to have a trade record and together with your community contribution can the person that potentially will trust you have an idea what type of person/trader you are and use this as parameter in the trust evaluation of you.

the reply was perfect way of getting trust on bitcointalk, as you are newbie first you have to post on thread some good information and help others, and after you earn some higher position then i think you can start the escrow service, but the above reply explained you everthing what you need to do to gain trust on bitcointalk

Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2015, 01:10:42 AM

the reply was perfect way of getting trust on bitcointalk, as you are newbie first you have to post on thread some good information and help others, and after you earn some higher position then i think you can start the escrow service, but the above reply explained you everthing what you need to do to gain trust on bitcointalk

In theory yes, in practice it's much more difficult. There are plenty of people here offering escrow. If you or I, with no trust, go advertise our services we'll kind of be laughed at because it's so easy to find someone with a lot of trust! Believe me, I've tried and every one laughed at me. (Not that that is a reason to not try, but still...)

I think a better way to do it is to arrange a transaction to earn trust, ideally with friend. They send you some BTC, you send it back. The trust was gained, they can give you the trust remarks formally and you have something to work with for escrow services going forward.

XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 12:28:42 PM

You are already extremely suspicious, at least to me, just by asking that question. Why do you need to earn trust in the firstplace? Is not having positive trust affecting you in any way here? Would you mind asking those questions first?
cpfreeplz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 08:51:56 PM

You are already extremely suspicious, at least to me, just by asking that question. Why do you need to earn trust in the firstplace? Is not having positive trust affecting you in any way here? Would you mind asking those questions first?

Edit: TL;DR version: I couldn't find a guide on the forum for how the trust system actually worked on Bitcointalk. So thought I might as well ask how some people earn trust.

Well understandably I seem suspicious. I'm just some random on a Bitcoin forum. I get it. I'm just starting to understand how Bitcoins work and stumbled across this forum.

I'm assuming you want me to answer the questions? I didn't really understand what "trust" is on this forum. It seems like people have it only if Bitcoins were risked with you. I wanted to see if people ever earn trust without holding on to people's Bitcoins. In all honesty I wouldn't trust anyone with escrow. I don't really care about how many Bitcoins they've escrowed in the past. It just seems like this is a currency where you can't trust anyone because it's irreversible. Just because some has a magical title of ultra super magic man just means... they post a lot. Which clearly means nothing. But if someone has trust it just shows you're an actual good person and you've proven it. That's what it seems to be anyways.

Is not having positive trust affecting me in any way? Nope. I'm a very trustworthy person in real life so was wondering how someone would earn trust on a forum where you never actually meet these people in real life. To me it seems like a place where I wouldn't ever completely trust anyone. There's absolutely no way to get back anything you've sent.

I guess I was just wondering because it's something to aim for. Like I said, I'm never going to borrow. I won't ever have that need. If I did I definitely wouldn't ask people on a forum for money.

XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 09:01:40 PM

You have to trust a lot of things even if you don't want to. I assume you use bitcoins and I assume you used a few exchanges until now, you basically trusted them without even knowing them. The escrows work very well here and rarely someone has been scammed by an escrow. There is always risk.

If you want to earn trust, don't try to earn trust. I know it seems redundant but it's the best way to earn ''real'' trust
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 10:23:25 PM

What with me being new to this forum no one has any reason to trust me. Which obviously I don't blame them at all! I'm never going to need a loan (I don't like paying interest) so how else could I earn trust?

I've never taken out a loan, but look at my trust rating.

Just be an honest person.  Think, type and act honestly.  People will pick up on that.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: