Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:32:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All speculators invited: 2015/6 Price Prediction Contest. Win 0.44 BTC.  (Read 3968 times)
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:43:45 PM

Fun game, thanks Oda !

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 09:44:49 PM

Equus, what the fuck!? Grin

Realisticly, Norrisk(no risk?) has the highest chance to win.

Thanks everyone for participating! Pleasure, as before Smiley
Thank you, oda. Smiley

Haha, it is not no risk Wink It was made from chuck norris and kek, which in time led to this shorter version.

I don't think I ahve the biggest chance, someone has put his range right in the middle of my estimate, which blocks a large portion of my range.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 12:37:07 PM

hands up those who are rooting for equus to win...

*raises hand* Grin

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 07:21:46 PM

Wait a year. Win 0.3 BTC (or 100$ in BTC)...

How fast times are changing. Smiley
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 08:08:53 PM

Wait a year. Win 0.3 BTC (or 100$ in BTC)...

How fast times are changing. :)

It seems you left out the "by my choice" part :D

Anyway, 5 1/2 months left before evaluation... maybe the more bullish submissions to the contest have a shot at winning after all.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
crilleaz

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

★ Always strive for the best ★

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2016, 06:57:34 AM

Maybe we need to start a new one starting now which ends on the same date as this one. We can see how people react on the current price.

LiskFaucets. The hub and rotator for Lisk faucets. Overview faucets | RotatorReferral generator
Vote for 'liskfaucets' as delegate so we can ensure higher faucet rewards!
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 10:59:48 PM

check my figures! there were so few entries it didn't seem worth working out out programmatically so I just figured it out by hand, so inevitably there could be some human error :)

~3 more months to go for 51k USD :D

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 12:38:58 AM

And the winner of this Bitcoin price one year from now prediction contest is:

windjc

As of today's close (UTC), the 20 day SMA over USD/BTC on Bitstamp is 729.8.

Windjc's prediction was 650 to 750, so the actual (average) price is within windjc's prediction range.

The only other contestant who entered a range that includes the actual price is NorrisK (who entered 300 to 3,000). By the tie-breaking criterion stated in my OP, "narrower width of prediction range wins", windjc is the winner of the contest (100 < 2700).

Congratulations. You're a true market wizard, Harrywindjc!

Let me know which address you want me to send the funds to: 0.3 BTC pledged by myself, plus accumulated participation fees worth ~0.14 BTC (generously rounded up by several participants), for a total of ~0.44 BTC (~325 USD).

oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 12:53:25 AM

Just to wrap it all up:

A year ago, when the contestants entered their predictions, the price (by the same metric as used above) was 337 USD, so up ~117% since then. Not quite as much as the majority of contestants predicted, but not too shabby either imo ;)

Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 10:55:04 AM

Congratulations!
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 12:48:37 PM

I thought windjc was a permabull, so this is a major surprise for me. Shocked
Congrats anyway!

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 02:44:34 PM

Congrats windjc ! And thanks again for the game Oda, it was quite generous.  I was astounded that so few people entered given that it is both fun, potentially lucrative and easy. 
I knew I was being optimistic, but I figured I needed to carve out a niche.  Maybe in a few months  ;-) ?
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 08:58:25 PM

Maybe in a few months  ;-) ?

That's the spirit! Cheesy

I was astounded that so few people entered given that it is both fun, potentially lucrative and easy. 

Thought so too. Maybe the rules were too complicated? If there's enough interest in it, I wouldn't mind running another one.

uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 09:33:17 PM

Maybe in a few months  ;-) ?

That's the spirit! Cheesy

I was astounded that so few people entered given that it is both fun, potentially lucrative and easy. 

Thought so too. Maybe the rules were too complicated? If there's enough interest in it, I wouldn't mind running another one.
That would be great, as I was regreting to be late last time! Wink
117% growth over a year is actually a great score, if you ask me, I was gonna predict somewhere around $500.
It will be very hard to repeat that growth this coming year.

this space is intentionally left blank
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 11:35:22 AM

I would certainly be up for it :-) .  I thought the range guessing was a very interesting setup, but just guessing a price would be easier.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 06:33:49 PM

I would certainly be up for it :-) .  I thought the range guessing was a very interesting setup, but just guessing a price would be easier.

Maybe I should have stated this more clearly, but contestants were able to enter a point estimate -- it just means that you were at a disadvantage to actually 'hit' the correct price compared to those entering a range, while having a major advantage on the second criterion ("width of range").

lolikop

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 09:56:41 PM

Congrats to the winner did he replyed yet or he allready got so much money predicting the value he dont even care
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 11:13:28 PM

Congrats to the winner did he replyed yet or he allready got so much money predicting the value he dont even care

Haha, no, he didn't respond yet.

And, well, I do think windjc has been a pretty successful trader, but if I had to guess, lack of an answer is more due to infrequent forum presence than anything else.

I'm writing him a PM now, and then let's wait another week to see if he drops by to collect.

windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 12:47:05 AM

And the winner of this Bitcoin price one year from now prediction contest is:

windjc

As of today's close (UTC), the 20 day SMA over USD/BTC on Bitstamp is 729.8.

Windjc's prediction was 650 to 750, so the actual (average) price is within windjc's prediction range.

The only other contestant who entered a range that includes the actual price is NorrisK (who entered 300 to 3,000). By the tie-breaking criterion stated in my OP, "narrower width of prediction range wins", windjc is the winner of the contest (100 < 2700).

Congratulations. You're a true market wizard, Harrywindjc!

Let me know which address you want me to send the funds to: 0.3 BTC pledged by myself, plus accumulated participation fees worth ~0.14 BTC (generously rounded up by several participants), for a total of ~0.44 BTC (~325 USD).

Cool. Nice bonus. I'll use this to pay for my Christmas present to myself - a hoverboard. So when I'm rolling around my house I'll think of all of you fondly. Smiley
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2016, 11:01:15 AM

(to windjc)

Hey, look who's here! Glad to see you, champ!

(to himself)

Damn, he showed up after all. And here I was thinking I could keep the reward. Screw this guy and his hoverboard.

Transfer's on the way. Well deserved bonus, that was an exceptionally accurate prediction. If there's another game like this, hope you can join again.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: