Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:29:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much would you trust trezor?  (Read 10226 times)
Skaven

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 02:11:08 PM

I just ordered a trezor device today, I've read that people don't like the flimsy, cheap part of it. We'll see what when it arrives. I really think that the device itself is a bit overpriced, but I'm not going for a Chinese one which might have some security issues.

Good luck with your trezor I think is just a good device is your planning to hold your bitcoins.
Reply back so that I can know your review about it.
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:29:54 PM

Does trezor re-use addresses?
IIUC, the trezor device itself is not involved in that decision. It is up to the wallet that trezor uses, which can be mytrezor.com, Mycelium, Electrum, and maybe others. All of those wallets will not re-use address in their normal use.

Quote from: HappyComplex
Are coins stored on a trezor safe from quantum computers maybe 10 years in the future?
IIUC, trezor uses the same key generation and length as other Bitcoin implementations, so the risk of which you speak is no different.
bitcoin revo
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:40:18 AM

Just something I've been thinking lately - I hold a sizeable sum in a trezor that I bought lately (after I did some review of the code and the protocols used), but I'm wondering about how much others would trust a trezor personally. I used to use Offline Armory exclusively but it's taking a toll on my SSD's by running a full client on my online computer.
honestly i really want trust trezor,but i just use online wallet,and still not interest with offline wallet.
sometime i just wonder,how much trezor user,and why they choose offline wallet like trezor.

If you don't know why someone would choose an offline wallet then you need to do some reading up on bitcoin and how it works. (Perhaps it'll influence your decision on choosing an online wallet for storage of large amounts of bitcoin.)

Here's a good page about wallet securing that covers offline/online/web wallets - specifically here.
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 02:01:52 AM

its currently one of the hardware wallet options you have currently available on the market
HappyComplex

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 03:09:18 AM

Does trezor re-use addresses?
IIUC, the trezor device itself is not involved in that decision. It is up to the wallet that trezor uses, which can be mytrezor.com, Mycelium, Electrum, and maybe others. All of those wallets will not re-use address in their normal use.

Quote from: HappyComplex
Are coins stored on a trezor safe from quantum computers maybe 10 years in the future?
IIUC, trezor uses the same key generation and length as other Bitcoin implementations, so the risk of which you speak is no different.

Okay, yes it looks like mytrezor.com does not re-use addresses.  Leftover coins are sent to a fresh address with every transaction.

I guess this means trezor is safe from quantum attacks as well.

I was reading a thread that said addresses which have never been spent from are quantum safe:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3wfmg2/satoshis_unmoved_coins_are_the_worlds_biggest/
woodson

Activity: 129

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 03:31:22 AM

Never had an issue and secured with 24 word seed.  Superb service and open line communication.  Great company.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 08:40:11 AM

I doubt the products was made to screw people over.  I think it's a great product and the company seems like it is run like a true business.

i think that they should at least reduce the price so it will not be used for a niche market only, but it can be bought by more people

maybe they should also upgrade it a bit, like making the display a bit larger and adding info on the buttons(i see they are blanks, looks dull)
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 10:03:46 AM

I doubt the products was made to screw people over.  I think it's a great product and the company seems like it is run like a true business.

i think that they should at least reduce the price so it will not be used for a niche market only, but it can be bought by more people

maybe they should also upgrade it a bit, like making the display a bit larger and adding info on the buttons(i see they are blanks, looks dull)

Well aren't they reducing the price slowly? When I got it it was $129 and today it's $99!

That's a considerable decrease in price and I predict that the price will be falling as there is more competition and as they sell more and more of these devices.
bearex

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 12:07:10 PM

If i had a really big ammount of BTC, i would consider a paper wallet. It is the safest because it is isolated from the computer-world. But you should be ok with trezor, it is very secure and cant "scam" you.
tobacco123

Activity: 552

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 02:06:16 PM

If i had a really big ammount of BTC, i would consider a paper wallet. It is the safest because it is isolated from the computer-world. But you should be ok with trezor, it is very secure and cant "scam" you.

Totally agree with you. A properly printed and store paper wallet will do the job.
I am not sure how durable is Trezor. I have some old handphones with the LCD screen burned/melted after using for many years... How about the ones used by Trezor??? 

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2015, 02:49:55 PM

Totally agree with you. A properly printed and store paper wallet will do the job.
I am not sure how durable is Trezor. I have some old handphones with the LCD screen burned/melted after using for many years... How about the ones used by Trezor??? 

Durability is over rated. The Trezor is sturdy enough. Buy a spare in case you trash or lose yours, all you need to do is restore from seed. Realize that the 24 word seed is your bitcoin stash, that is what you seriously protect. Consider the plastic device to be disposable. There are too many stories around about folks spending from paper wallets and losing their bitcoin. Anyone can use a Trezor and after reading the manual not cock it up. Paper wallets should be reserved for bitcoin veterans who understand the limitations.

bitcoin-hunter

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 08:00:05 PM

You can trust trezor, because they are some good reviews of it and people also said there experience and they don't have that much complain.
Is better than paper wallet when it goes to fire or whatter your bitcoin is just gone.
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 08:38:41 PM

Paper is fine, and you can easily make it fire and water proof Smiley

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 04:06:20 PM

You can trust trezor, because they are some good reviews of it and people also said there experience and they don't have that much complain.
Is better than paper wallet when it goes to fire or whatter your bitcoin is just gone.

Good reviews does not mean You can trust them by definition.. The thing is, trezor Will never ever have acces to your seed or private keys for that matter and thats why It is ok to trust them.

Im seriously thinking about getting one lately, just deels better Than paper somehow. Also the security It provides with regards to protecting your private keys are sublime.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 04:19:45 PM

The vulnerability of trezor is social engineering / potential inside job.

I`ve watched their security documentation, and it blows my mind that they download updates into the trezor device constantly. This is a huge attack vector.

Banks have faraday shielded bunker server rooms, where they keep the digital money. Trezor has a good offline security, but it mixes it with careless online patch downloads.

Yes the patches are signed by their key, but all it takes is a social engineering attack or an inside job to get hold of those and then millions of people will be exposed to bitcoin theft risk.

I might trust trezor's device, because if I buy it now, and later some error gets figured out, then I can quickly buy a new one, and if it turns out its safe then time will test it.

But if it constantly downloads updates to it, then the risk of theft is gigantic.

Sorry this is the main reason I dont use hardware wallets Smiley

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 04:44:35 PM

The vulnerability of trezor is social engineering / potential inside job.

I`ve watched their security documentation, and it blows my mind that they download updates into the trezor device constantly. This is a huge attack vector.

Banks have faraday shielded bunker server rooms, where they keep the digital money. Trezor has a good offline security, but it mixes it with careless online patch downloads.

Yes the patches are signed by their key, but all it takes is a social engineering attack or an inside job to get hold of those and then millions of people will be exposed to bitcoin theft risk.

I might trust trezor's device, because if I buy it now, and later some error gets figured out, then I can quickly buy a new one, and if it turns out its safe then time will test it.

But if it constantly downloads updates to it, then the risk of theft is gigantic.

Sorry this is the main reason I dont use hardware wallets Smiley

You obviously do not own a Trezor. They have not done a firmware update in five months. The latest 1.3.4 firmware was released back in August. Anyone concerned about security of firmware updates can browse https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-faq/threats.html and https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-user/updatingfirmware.html

StevenS

Activity: 206

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 11:39:21 PM

You can't do a Trezor upgrade without knowing about it, because the (current) firmware asks you on the little display and requires you to press one of the buttons to proceed. They probably will keep the interface backwards compatible, so if you're not trusting the web site, you can likely go without ever upgrading it.

Personally, I use my Trezor with Mycelium on Android, and as far as I know, it doesn't have the ability to upgrade the Trezor.

Assuming there are no back doors on the Trezor, the security is very similar to what you can achieve with a stack of paper wallets, and an off-line computer, but much more convenient. To get similar security with paper wallets, you would spend from one paper wallet, putting the change in another paper wallet, and you would have to do this with a trusted application. (Once the transaction was done, and verified, the application would not need to be trusted until the next spend.)
Cuidler

Activity: 294

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 10:24:41 AM

Durability is over rated. The Trezor is sturdy enough. Buy a spare in case you trash or lose yours, all you need to do is restore from seed. Realize that the 24 word seed is your bitcoin stash, that is what you seriously protect. Consider the plastic device to be disposable. There are too many stories around about folks spending from paper wallets and losing their bitcoin. Anyone can use a Trezor and after reading the manual not cock it up. Paper wallets should be reserved for bitcoin veterans who understand the limitations.

Your right spending from paper wallet is the weak point where you can loose the Bitcoins, but for those dont having stored at least few Bitcoins, Trezor is not much option because of the price. It is implemented in trezor the ability to put private key from paper wallet to make it secure to redeem old paper wallets ?

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
knightkon

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 12:33:07 PM

I am sorry, but I do not see the point in wasting all the money on tenzor.  It is secure and i agree with the reviews here, but there is a cheaper way that is just as secure as wasting all this money.  Maybe down the line where the attacks on Bitcoin are more common and there are new methods of stealing it, trezor may be worth the investment, but not a this time.

███████████████████████████
██████████▄▄███▄▄██████████
████████▄█████████▄████████
██████▄█████████████▄██████
█████▄███████████████▄█████
█████▀███████████████▀█████
███████▀███████████▀███████
█████████▀███████▀█████████
███████████▀███▀███████████
.BITAMP..
   BITAMP BITCOIN WALLET   
Easy to use, client-side, &
open-source Bitcoin wallet
████████▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄████████
████▄▀▀▀   ▄▄█▄▄   ▀▀▀▄████
█████ ▀▄▄▀▀     ▀▀▄▄▀ █████
█████  █    ███    █  █████
█████  █   ▄███▄   █  █████
█████  █  ███████  █  █████
████▀▄ ▀▄ ███████ ▄▀ ▄▀████
█████▀▄ ▀▄       ▄▀ ▄▀█████
██████▀▄  ▀▄▄ ▄▄▀  ▄▀██████
████████▀▄   █   ▄▀████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▀▀██████████
████▄▀▀▀▄  ▄███▄  ▄▀▀▀▄████
█████   █ ▐█████▌ █   █████
███▄▄▀ ▀▄  ▀███▀  ▄▀ ▀▄▄███
██      ▄██▀▀▀██▄      ███
██     ███▄███ ███     ███
███▄▄▄▄ █████▄▄████ ▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████████████
█████████████████▄▄▄▄█▄████
███████████████████████▀███
█████▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄████████
███████▄▀  ▄█▄█▄  ▀▄███████
██████▄▀   █    █  ▀▄██████
███████    █▀▀▀▀▄   ███████
██████▀▄   █    █  ▄▀██████
███████▀▄  ▀█▀█▀  ▄▀███████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄█████
███▄███████████████████████
████▀█▀▀▀▀█████████████████
|SECURE
ANONYMOUS
INSTANT
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 02:12:21 PM

I am sorry, but I do not see the point in wasting all the money on tenzor.  It is secure and i agree with the reviews here, but there is a cheaper way that is just as secure as wasting all this money.  Maybe down the line where the attacks on Bitcoin are more common and there are new methods of stealing it, trezor may be worth the investment, but not a this time.

Attacks are already common. Have your bitcoin stolen by malware and you would change your mind right quick. If you can live without the screen Ledger sells the HW.1 for less than $20 shipped.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: