Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:09:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 603 times)
niallo27 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:26:14 PM

Hi there, i am looking to buy a Antminer off ebay. I contacted the guy and he said he had a few to sell and said i could pay by BTC if i preferred. My question is how do i send safely. If i send to his address what is stopping him from just keeping the bitcoin and not sending. So my question is how do i protect myself.
Thanks
Niall

▲▼ No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options ▲▼
████████████ sec◔nds trade ████████████
↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2015, 10:30:16 PM

You would have to use a trusted escrow. You send the Bitcoin to an escrow and then he sends you the miner. You confirm that the miner has reached you and then you tell the escrow to release the funds.

a7mos

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:33:10 PM

If you deal with him directly with bitcoin so you are not buying now from ebay and he might scam you so take care and ask him to accept escrow to be in the safe side
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:34:24 PM

You would have to use a trusted escrow. You send the Bitcoin to an escrow and then he sends you the miner. You confirm that the miner has reached you and then you tell the escrow to release the funds.

How do we both agree on someone we can trust though.

niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:35:32 PM

If you deal with him directly with bitcoin so you are not buying now from ebay and he might scam you so take care and ask him to accept escrow to be in the safe side

Yes thats what i am worried about.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:36:29 PM

You use someone trusted from here, like OgNasty. The list is here;
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=855778.0

There are also actual escrow services in offices, but that sound a bit silly. You're probably better off turning the money into FIAT and buying with credit card or whatever. Beware though Ebay tend to be 50-100% overpriced.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:40:33 PM

check out www.Bitrated.com its perfect for this  Grin

also if hes legit he should have no problem using escarow, its the only way to go in a this enviroment.
niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:42:42 PM

There are also actual escrow services in offices, but that sound a bit silly. You're probably better off turning the money into FIAT and buying with credit card or whatever. Beware though Ebay tend to be 50-100% overpriced.

I am finding it hard to get one in europe though so will have to pay a bit extra to get one over here, unless you know any decent place to get one in europe.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:46:37 PM

I am finding it hard to get one in europe though so will have to pay a bit extra to get one over here, unless you know any decent place to get one in europe.

The way it would work is in BTC. For example, for OgNasty which has pretty strict protocol;

You send BTC to OgNasty (1BTC+0.01BTCFee) you link the TxID to;
You message OgNasty saying you are escrowing let say 1BTC for a S5, to be released at "sellersbtcaddresshere" when i received and verified the good. The buyer is *put other guy's forum name here*.

So he would need to have an ID here.

Some other escrow might be able to cater to particular needs, but i would do it this way, if i absolutely had to do it with BTC.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2015, 10:47:42 PM

You don't need to have an escrow to be near you. The escrow can just hold the Bitcoin until either you confirm the receipt of the goods and they are as advertised, or one of you disputes. Of course that escrow will probably need information and proof like pictures, video, and tracking numbers. If they only hold the Bitcoin, then they do not need to be anywhere near you.

niallo27 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:52:04 PM

You don't need to have an escrow to be near you. The escrow can just hold the Bitcoin until either you confirm the receipt of the goods and they are as advertised, or one of you disputes. Of course that escrow will probably need information and proof like pictures, video, and tracking numbers. If they only hold the Bitcoin, then they do not need to be anywhere near you.

No i meant i am finding it hard to get an Antminer in europe not an escrow. Thanks for the help guys, he probaly knows this place anyway if he doing a lot of mining himself.

mark coins

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 02:13:45 AM

No i meant i am finding it hard to get an Antminer in europe not an escrow. Thanks for the help guys, he probaly knows this place anyway if he doing a lot of mining himself.

you can find antminer anywhere in the world as long as both parties are willing to cover up the shipping fees. anyway escrow could be from anywhere too but be sure they are trusted enough to hold such amount
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 03:29:52 AM

you can find antminer anywhere in the world as long as both parties are willing to cover up the shipping fees. anyway escrow could be from anywhere too but be sure they are trusted enough to hold such amount

Escrow is not really a bad thing as long as its through a very trusted member.   That is the key make sure it's someone who's done it a long time. 

But Europe with the crazy VAT/import taxes I could see why even older miners still need escrow.  Seems that tax sucks to pay but it does keep your miners up a tad in value compared to places with no vat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: