Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:41:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCFPGA bASIC updated from 54GH/s to 72HG/s  (Read 10681 times)
Easy2Mine

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

einc.io

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 04:41:49 AM

BFL single has 8 asic chips per cluster.
Their boards and enclosure are already at final stage.
I don't think BFL has enough room to overclock the chips within a safe working enviroment.
The easiest way is give every customers 2 BFL singles for the price of 1.
2 BFL singles*8 asic chips per board=16 asic chips
Same amount chips as the bigger bASIC unit and we are all happy.

Dagger75

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 05:18:24 AM

I don't think BFL has enough room to overclock the chips within a safe working enviroment.

No offense Easy2Mine but as much as i'd love 2 Singles for the price of one this isn't going to happen.  You should read up a bit more on BFL's actual process and I think you'd realize that BFL shouldn't have an issue bumping up the speeds of their chips to match this...  Currently at 7.5GH per chip at 500Mhz and able to generally reach 1Ghz (if there was proper cooling).  *From the information that's been given I think it'll just take a firmware tweak to bump it up no problem.

I'm certainly no fanboy but I'm quite sure it's not an issue.  That said if I can find a way to come up with some more $$ I'd like to pick up a few of Toms bASICs asap.  Tom is using the 90nm manufacturing process for his ASICs and will generally use more electricity than BFLs 65nm process thus giving off more heat (in general) but, I think he's doing pretty damn well with what he has, and will be keeping ever other ASIC Company on their respective Toes.  I hope we all end up getting more GH/$ because of this as well as keeping our Electric bills a little more reasonable in the near future.

Now we just have to keep waiting as there're more delays from both companies because of changes made.  I hope they are minor and finish up sooner than later... Huh 

>>>http://foundation.leafco.in/<<<  Please help support our cause

>>>A True Alt, with a True Purpose<<<  $$Leafcoin$$
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4522
Merit: 1844

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 05:36:57 AM

BFL's ASIC can match that if they want. At 40Ghash their ASIC was running at 500Mhz, and they said it can do 1Ghz but not all chips will reach it. So 72GHash is possible.
and that's still a conservative estimate.

These initial numbers are conservative estimates, but we expect that firmware and software updates will be able to iteratively increase hashing power as well.
so it might be even faster than 72 gh/s

in normal circumstances, i strongly dislike luke-jr, but at times, he can work some magic.

Eh what?
what?

luke-jr?

aside from shitting on other people that disagrees with him.
I mean I'm wondering what he's done?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 07:13:45 AM

Wow this is great news and a smart move. BFL has better hash/watt ratio but bASIC now has a much better hash/$ ratio. If BFL delays again I think Tom will pick up some diversifying miners.

Is there still room on the preorder list?

The hardware wars begin!

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 07:38:25 AM

As far as I understand it, all 3 major vendors first batch pre-order lists are full. Always room on the 2nd wave lists though (think they said that's scheduled for Jan '13)
Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 09:04:39 AM

How much of the board design work and time was wasted by changing to 8 chips per cluster? Haven't they been working on a design with 6 chips per cluster for many weeks? How much has to be scrapped?

Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 12:03:52 PM

And so the saga goes on..

So now we just wait until BFL comes with a (40) (60) 80gh device..

Maybe they will get some more pre-orders now..and gives m more time(to)frame..

COINDER
COINDER
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 12:37:15 PM

I hope BFL does NOT try to match this new speed. I'd rather get the new device in my hands first and let them worry about trying to increase the speed later when things have settled down. But competition is a good thing. Congratulations.
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 12:48:01 PM

I hope BFL does NOT try to match this new speed. I'd rather get the new device in my hands first and let them worry about trying to increase the speed later when things have settled down. But competition is a good thing. Congratulations.
Quote BFL_Josh: "We haven't decided specifically which way we want to make things even up with competitors products yet, but we have a lot of options and we will match competitors products that actually ship. We will not leave BFL customers behind the curve when it comes to hardware".

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:30:30 PM

I hope each companie will deliver quality product, competition is good, but often compromise quality.  I prefer to have a solid, durable and reliable thing than a cheap one, whatever performance it accomplish !
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:47:20 PM

The only announcement from any company that will get me excited is someone announcing an actual shipment date. I could care less about a hashing power increase, especially when the rest of the announcement simply reads "we don't have any work done at all."

I'd have gladly taken a 20GH device 3 months ago over a 70GH device 2 months from now.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 04:10:09 PM

As far as I understand it, all 3 major vendors first batch pre-order lists are full. Always room on the 2nd wave lists though (think they said that's scheduled for Jan '13)

http://store.avalon-asic.com/

Avalon project has 9 left over from the first batch.
mightycount

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 05:06:18 PM

The only announcement from any company that will get me excited is someone announcing an actual shipment date. I could care less about a hashing power increase, especially when the rest of the announcement simply reads "we don't have any work done at all."

I'd have gladly taken a 20GH device 3 months ago over a 70GH device 2 months from now.

Ditto... Paper hash rate wars in the environment where time is so much more important are just silly.

Personal Bitcoin Black List - Companies and people to avoid!
````` Butterfly Labs...MtGox...ragingazn628...(reserved)...  `````
monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 08:57:53 PM

Quote BFL_Josh: "We haven't decided specifically which way we want to make things even up with competitors products yet, but we have a lot of options and we will match competitors products that actually ship. We will not leave BFL customers behind the curve when it comes to hardware".

If BFL will do that , that would be great. From the other hand, that could take more time. Wait and see.
Easy2Mine

einc.io

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:51:05 PM

No offense Easy2Mine but as much as i'd love 2 Singles for the price of one this isn't going to happen.  You should read up a bit more on BFL's actual process and I think you'd realize that BFL shouldn't have an issue bumping up the speeds of their chips to match this...  Currently at 7.5GH per chip at 500Mhz and able to generally reach 1Ghz (if there was proper cooling).  *From the information that's been given I think it'll just take a firmware tweak to bump it up no problem.

I'm certainly no fanboy but I'm quite sure it's not an issue.  That said if I can find a way to come up with some more $$ I'd like to pick up a few of Toms bASICs asap.  Tom is using the 90nm manufacturing process for his ASICs and will generally use more electricity than BFLs 65nm process thus giving off more heat (in general) but, I think he's doing pretty damn well with what he has, and will be keeping ever other ASIC Company on their respective Toes.  I hope we all end up getting more GH/$ because of this as well as keeping our Electric bills a little more reasonable in the near future.

Now we just have to keep waiting as there're more delays from both companies because of changes made.  I hope they are minor and finish up sooner than later... Huh 

BFL already overclock the asics.
If they overclock to the maximum, the singles will do 8*10 GH/s=80 GH/s.
Not all asic chips will achieve that speed and I don't think they will last long.
Despite the smaller manufacturing proces they use, BFL asics seems to run slower per chip.
BFL chips are full custom made, I think they have plenty of room to optimize teir design at the next batch.
Cablepair is using already proven and optimize design technique. I don't think Cablepair has much room left to clock their chips higher if they want their chips to be reliable.
I think he will switch to a smaller proces at the next batch to stay competive.
Just my humble opinion.

Fcx35x10

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 12:20:48 AM

more for the customers! weeeeee Smiley i think regardless people who pre-order will get their money worth. perhaps throw in a little single SC making a total of 90 gh/s Cheesy
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 12:26:48 AM

Not all asic chips will achieve that speed and I don't think they will last long.
Despite the smaller manufacturing proces they use, BFL asics seems to run slower per chip.
BFL chips are full custom made, I think they have plenty of room to optimize teir design at the next batch.
Cablepair is using already proven and optimize design technique. I don't think Cablepair has much room left to clock their chips higher if they want their chips to be reliable.
Just my humble opinion.

Somehow, based on my experience, I think the same, but Inaba seems overconfident in last posts, I guess they might already got their "last version" of their chip, test it already and proved it qualifies.

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 12:42:59 AM

Just my humble opinion.
Actually, bfl under-clocks the chips, in theory they can run at 16Gh/s, but stability and life expectancy would suffer. Just as btcfpga said for their chips btw. There is room for overclocking for sure.

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 12:45:35 AM

Actually, bfl under-clocks the chips, in theory they can run at 16Gh/s, but stability and life expectancy would suffer. Just as btcfpga said for their chips btw. There is room for overclocking for sure.

How much room? I thought they can go to 200% but people say they are already overclocked. Cheesy

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
Easy2Mine

einc.io

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 12:52:32 AM

I am a bit lazy to search the post where BFL state that their asic chip are already overclock and that there is still a bit room left for further overclocking.
I might search it tomorrow when I am not lazy anymore.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: