Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:25:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCFPGA bASIC updated from 54GH/s to 72HG/s  (Read 10681 times)
mightycount

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 06:41:09 AM

I would say that you cannot count on a warranty of any longer than 1 year. There's a pretty decent chance we might be in ASIC gen 2 a year from when BFL ships, and there's no real point in continuing the existing line once the next gen is ready.

That was my point, a lifetime warranty is effectively a one-year warranty, most likely. Still, it has to last that one year. If you start seeing mass RMA's in 3 months, you better roll your v.2 real fast after that and take trade-ins Smiley

Personal Bitcoin Black List - Companies and people to avoid!
````` Butterfly Labs...MtGox...ragingazn628...(reserved)...  `````
AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:07:18 AM

Somehow, based on my experience, I think the same, but Inaba seems overconfident in last posts, I guess they might already got their "last version" of their chip, test it already and proved it qualifies.
BFL is also now deleting threads from customers with content which is not unexpected nor even offensive considering they invested in the company as a paying customer. I just left a thread open in my browser this morning  and refreshed it....poof, it is gone.

The censoring has apparently begun on their forums (IMO).
I know.. weeks ago I got deleted on butterfly forums when I asked if they re-spin.. I'm an Engineer specialized in this field, I can understand, mostly, the big picture. 65nm and full custom asic is difficult for a small company.. difficulty can be described mathematically.. Ofc BFL can be plaint lucky, but from customer POV it is gambling despite what they say.. I need to cover one - two months of gap, I need to buy something, I will use my skill to discriminate.. Wink

What is "re-spin" and what are the implications?

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 09:20:24 AM

With two clusters on the larger unit, it will conservatively produce 72GH/s.  Yes, this is very good news - a 33% increase in hashing power!  Yes, this means the 27G unit now becomes a 36G unit.

From https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/

Those ordering from Tom are happy!-)

But most likely this will add 3 extra weeks to deliver. One week redesigning board layout to accommodate more chips (this includes power circuit redesign), one week (they said 8 days) to produce pcb, one week to assemble everything.

PS: I'm a customer.
Unless they foresaw a potential issue related to throughput and designed the PCB for 8 in the first place, and then once the Chinese started to bullshit, they thought  "fuck it" let's  fix  both competitors in one go......... and fully populate.....

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:57:44 AM

What is "re-spin" and what are the implications?

A re-spin is a process whereby light sensitive material is reapplied to a previously processed wafer so a new masking can be applied and the wafer re-etched to correct bugs detected in a previous run.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 10:21:53 AM

Unless they foresaw a potential issue related to throughput and designed the PCB for 8 in the first place, and then once the Chinese started to bullshit, they thought  "fuck it" let's  fix  both competitors in one go......... and fully populate....

It would have been a truly awesome move business wise if Tom was planning this all along. Now, people will have an easy choice for best bang for your buck ASIC  if you have decent KWh rates.

It seems like BFL is too late in the design/production phase to change their design like this. The only thing they will be able to do are firmware upgrades. Firmware upgrades for BFL to match bASIC speeds kind of sucks, because the bASIC will certainly have firmware upgrades of its own. I'd rather have the faster ASIC right out of the box.
dextryn

Activity: 198

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 06:46:59 PM

The btcfpga.com website is up and down today.  I wonder what's wrong.
gemm

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 06:49:22 PM

well, problems with a webserver are not ultimately uncommon.... Roll Eyes
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 09:31:40 PM

Posters on BFL forums are reporting having received email from bASIC giving a new shipping date of January 2013. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 09:34:44 PM

Posters on BFL forums are reporting having received email from bASIC giving a new shipping date of January 2013. 
Link?
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 10:00:33 PM

Joke?

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 10:05:33 PM

Link?

Maybe this:

https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=115.0

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 11:24:03 PM

Link?

Maybe this:

https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=115.0

Ok, its official:
https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=125.0

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 03:12:29 AM

Ah, shit happens.  You can't blame Dave or Tom.  I can't imagine either of them isn't working their arse off to make things work and they probably haven't gotten much sleep lately.  Regardless of who your hoping to get your ASIC through, we're looking at brand new tech and there's bound to be bumps.

And for all the dinks ready to jump in with the "I told you ASIC was a Scam!"  This is for you...

Seriously, there's no way all these different vendors, some of which dislike each other a great deal, are in on some massive "Let's screw with people's with some vaporware!" plot.  We'll get there, it's just gonna take some time.
superfastkyle

Activity: 437

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 03:41:36 AM

just because the different asic companies don't like each other doesn't mean they aren't scammers, nor does it mean they are competent enough to design something that never has been done before.

Seriously, there's no way all these different vendors, some of which dislike each other a great deal, are in on some massive "Let's screw with people's with some vaporware!" plot.  We'll get there, it's just gonna take some time.
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 03:54:17 AM

I would say that you cannot count on a warranty of any longer than 1 year. There's a pretty decent chance we might be in ASIC gen 2 a year from when BFL ships, and there's no real point in continuing the existing line once the next gen is ready.

That was my point, a lifetime warranty is effectively a one-year warranty, most likely. Still, it has to last that one year. If you start seeing mass RMA's in 3 months, you better roll your v.2 real fast after that and take trade-ins Smiley

........ you my friend need to read up on European law.
ATLEAST 3 YEARS, and bollox to them "not having spare parts".
 Apple recently got kicked in the nuts for their "extended" warranties
because under European law you have at least 3 years, so apple cannot legally charge for "extended warranties" during the warranty period.
And it has been this way for YEARS, just it is a big secret that these companies like to keep from their customers(for obvious reasons).

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 04:09:06 AM

And for all the dinks ready to jump in with the "I told you ASIC was a Scam!"  This is for you...

"ASICs are a scam" would be a stupid statement given that the technology itself is not new and is already in use.

The bigger question is whether Bitcoin mining ASICs are simply a more expensive shovel which can only be used for one thing - will anyone except the shovel-makers and the shovel-sellers ever make money from them?  And that's really something which buyers should have considered before placing orders.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 04:13:00 AM

just because the different asic companies don't like each other doesn't mean they aren't scammers, nor does it mean they are competent enough to design something that never has been done before.

ASIC done before. SHA done before. Sure, it's difficult and time consuming to produce the product in question, but anyone thinking it's impossible has no idea what the fuck they're talking about. If you think the idea of a bitcoin ASIC is a scam, you're goddamn delusional.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 05:41:21 AM

Ah, shit happens.  You can't blame Dave or Tom.  I can't imagine either of them isn't working their arse off to make things work and they probably haven't gotten much sleep lately.  Regardless of who your hoping to get your ASIC through, we're looking at brand new tech and there's bound to be bumps.

Very well put Meatball  Wink

I feel for ALL who are delayed,not just BFL  Sad

Yeah,all the ASIC companies are trying to delay the release of said products,WTF  Huh Roll Eyes

Talk about conspiracy theories,I bet they would believe 9/11 was done by BoA,because the mortgage was due on the World Trade Center  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:23:09 AM

Very well put Meatball  Wink

I feel for ALL who are delayed,not just BFL  Sad

Yeah,all the ASIC companies are trying to delay the release of said products,WTF  Huh Roll Eyes

Talk about conspiracy theories,I bet they would believe 9/11 was done by BoA,because the mortgage was due on the World Trade Center  Cheesy

9/11 was done by BoA

(Bunch of Assholes)
superfastkyle

Activity: 437

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:42:50 AM

I love it when people argue points that were never made. I didn't say it was impossible. I don't see any of the three companies making a decent product anymore. They all seem to be in over their head. They could all go bankrupt trying to get something that works, and can be mass produced easily.

ASIC done before. SHA done before. Sure, it's difficult and time consuming to produce the product in question, but anyone thinking it's impossible has no idea what the fuck they're talking about. If you think the idea of a bitcoin ASIC is a scam, you're goddamn delusional.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: