Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:47:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: national minimum wage LAWS. good or bad?  (Read 21127 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:09:33 PM

I think his response after the election was rather telling.

Which was?

You don't know? He boasted that Obama's taxes would make his business unsustainable with all of his employees if he was elected. The takeaway is taxes were killing his business. He would have to do layoffs. Or lower their wages.

He was blustering and bluffing and whining, not unlike many here. After the election, his bluff was called. He realized he was a douchebag and gave everyone a raise. And guess what, he's still going to keep his house, which is the largest in America: http://gawker.com/5950189/the-ceo-who-built-himself-americas-largest-house-just-threatened-to-fire-his-employees-if-obamas-elected

Truly douchebag of the year, if ever there was one.

The argument for no minimum wage floor isn't what you think it is. It's about greed and laziness to not run an efficient business.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 08:13:37 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2012, 08:30:10 PM by Rassah

Incorrect. An outside agency which is not influencing the market is not part of the market. But upon influencing the market, then that outside agency is part of the market. And don't come back and say that the agency must be a buyer or seller. An event, caused by an outside agency XYZ, which renders property owner Smith's goods no longer fit for sale, has influenced the market. Is XYZ a market participant? Has the market been distorted?

OK, I'm sorry, but the curiosity is killing me. Do you actually have a degree in this stuff, or are you spouting bullshit you picked up in other forums? Because what he said was exactly what you said, but more summarized.
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:17:20 PM

Incorrect. An outside agency which is not influencing the market is not part of the market. But upon influencing the market, then that outside agency is part of the market. And don't come back and say that the agency must be a buyer or seller. An event, caused by an outside agency XYZ, which renders property owner Smith's goods no longer fit for sale, has influenced the market. Is XYZ a market participant? Has the market been distorted?

OK, I'm sorry, but the curio city is killing me. Do you actually have a degree in this stuff, or are you spouting bullshit you picked up in other forums? Because what he said was exactly what you said, but more summarized.

If I'm spouting bullshit, and it's exactly what myrkul said, then myrkul is spouting bullshit as well. Please correct your assessment of my comments. I'll help you distinguish the difference:

Once an outside agency influences the market, it is part of the market, whether or not it is a buyer or seller, which is exactly what I said, and what you quoted.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 08:19:38 PM

this 3 minute video does a great job explaining pretty much everything you need to know on this subject (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siW0YAAfX6I)

do let me know if you actually watch it, tell me what you think

Liked.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 08:32:14 PM

You don't know? He boasted that Obama's taxes would make his business unsustainable with all of his employees if he was elected. The takeaway is taxes were killing his business. He would have to do layoffs. Or lower their wages.

He was blustering and bluffing and whining, not unlike many here. After the election, his bluff was called. He realized he was a douchebag and gave everyone a raise. And guess what, he's still going to keep his house, which is the largest in America: http://gawker.com/5950189/the-ceo-who-built-himself-americas-largest-house-just-threatened-to-fire-his-employees-if-obamas-elected

His argument being dumb and having nothing to do with economics because Obama lowered taxes instead of raising them aside, what did his douchebaggery have to do with minimum wage, or economics, or anything for that matter???

If I'm spouting bullshit, and it's exactly what myrkul said, then myrkul is spouting bullshit as well. Please correct your assessment of my comments. I'll help you distinguish the difference:

Once an outside agency influences the market, it is part of the market, whether or not it is a buyer or seller, which is exactly what I said, and what you quoted.

I see. So you are spouting bullshit you just randomly picked up somewhere...

And same question to you: how do you define a market distortion?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:39:39 PM

Short video about minimum wage.  Very straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbYM2EDz40

that one is really good also. i love the art design, atmosphere and production values.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 08:42:18 PM

So you're saying that a government does become part of the market when it passes a law that limits that market?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:47:44 PM

So you're saying that a government does become part of the market when it passes a law that limits that market?

this is a semantic argument

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:52:10 PM

His argument being dumb and having nothing to do with economics because Obama lowered taxes instead of raising them aside, what did his douchebaggery have to do with minimum wage, or economics, or anything for that matter???

Individuals like him are the source of arguing against minimum wage floors.

I see. So you are spouting bullshit you just randomly picked up somewhere...

No. I'm not spouting bullshit.

And same question to you: how do you define a market distortion?

There's no such thing as a market distortion. Everything affecting market prices are simply affecting market prices.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 09:26:35 PM

this 3 minute video does a great job explaining pretty much everything you need to know on this subject (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siW0YAAfX6I)

do let me know if you actually watch it, tell me what you think

Liked.
Yes, very clear and concise.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 09:30:55 PM

I knew about his "Vote for Romney or else" bullshit, but not about his minimum wage stuff (which isn't even there, since his complaint was about taxes, not minimum wage), thus he wasn't the source of my argument, and thus your claim is invalid.
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 09:43:20 PM

I knew about his "Vote for Romney or else" bullshit, but not about his minimum wage stuff (which isn't even there, since his complaint was about taxes, not minimum wage), thus he wasn't the source of my argument, and thus your claim is invalid.

He gave his employees a raise after the election (and backlash). It demonstrates his insincerity about the expenses his business incurs, one of which is wages.
asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 09:49:49 PM

A market, by definition, requires that property rights are respected. Any entity that initiates force is not a part of the market, but a distorter of it. The use of force is the distortion, fundamentally.
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 09:51:55 PM

A study on how minimum wage floors and increases alter unemployment:

http://www.hss.caltech.edu/~camerer/SS280/Card-Kruger-AER_Jan95.pdf

FirstAscent

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 09:53:45 PM

A market, by definition, requires that property rights are respected. Any entity that initiates force is not a part of the market, but a distorter of it. The use of force is the distortion, fundamentally.

So you're in favor of laws, correct? Because property rights don't exist without laws.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 09:55:13 PM

So you're in favor of laws, correct? Because property rights don't exist without laws.

Laws don't create rights.

FirstAscent

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 10:00:08 PM

What creates the right for you to say that this line is the boundary of the land you claim to own? What creates the right for you to say that the the 2 ounces of steel in some gadget you claim is yours is owned by you? Going back to first principles, where did the steel originate from, and how did it enter into a state that allows you to claim you own it?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 10:08:26 PM

Going back to first principles, where did the steel originate from, and how did it enter into a state that allows you to claim you own it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-ownership

I own myself, as did the miner, steelworker, etc, and they (and I) freely contracted our labor to, respectively, mine the ore and shape that steel into something I would desire, and earn the money that I would use to buy it.

augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 10:24:54 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-ownership

I own myself, as did the miner, steelworker, etc, and they (and I) freely contracted our labor to, respectively, mine the ore and shape that steel into something I would desire, and earn the money that I would use to buy it.

Oh dear... Here we go again. Myrkul and his daily distortion of well established concepts...

http://lawbrain.com/wiki/Substantive_Law

Substantive Law
The part of the law that creates, defines, and regulates rights, including, for example, the law of contracts, torts, wills, and real property; the essential substance of rights under law.

Could anyone tell Myrkul to free himself from the "Biaspedia" and start to search for independent sources?
Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 12:04:00 AM

Yes, he does have a good point.  He's just been insistent all the time that there's no way to deduce the effects of wage price floors.  Yet there is, and he proves so in the very second paragraph by giving out a deduction of that which he calls impossible.  He contradicts himself in the same post.  How is that logical?

I'm sorry, but you are confusing me with someone else. I've been insisting that there ARE specific effects of wage price floors. My point with "good v.s. bad" was just regarding whom specifically it's good for. Overall, yes it slows down the progress of global economy. But some people do find it good, because they end up being better off at the expense of others.

OK.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: