Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:38:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Butterfly Labs November Update (ASIC Chips are "flawed". Delays.)  (Read 24622 times)
bitmar

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 06:36:49 PM

They have stated that the refund/ship-by date is January 1st.  They never guaranteed a shipment prior to this date, only said it was possible.
Does US consumer protection law not apply to BFL?
How did you get that from what he just said? If it's 30 days after Jan 1st, then they've broken the law.

So, BFL has a chance to go down in history  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 06:40:23 PM

They should sell the bare "dud" chips as souvenirs.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 06:43:34 PM

They should sell the bare "dud" chips as souvenirs.

Not a bad idea really, earrings, necklaces, keychains. Turn a negative into a positive. Though I think they need to deliver a working product before people are in a good enough mood to buy those heh.
davidspitzer

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 07:10:04 PM

Just to save everyone the time and cut down on the post clutter here are all the BFL Conspiracy theories in one post:

J. Edgar Hoover created a hit squad made up entirely of homosexuals "to assassinate JFK." "If, after the 'hit,' the street clothes were changed to "flamboyant/gayish" attire, would those people have been detained/questioned as any "normal/regular" looking individual on the street that day, or would they have been ignored as "homosexuals" that couldn't possibly have committed such a horrendous act?" J. Edgar was frozen and later revived and is now running BFL

The Preorders are all rigged  "Bitcoins go up and up. People with get rich quick fever are willing to wait in a line just like the ones for bread in the former Soviet Union for the pipe dream of striking it rich."

We already have cures for cancer but the government has re-purposed all of the chips used to find it in order to make ASIC gear at BFL

Redheads are the offspring of aliens and have been quietly infiltrating BFL in order to seed mind control hardware disguised as ASIC gear

Sono Bono was murdered [on the ski slope] because he was going to expose BFL shipping delays

There is a concentration camp under the Denver International Airport. It has an 8 level underground military base, a gas chamber... and it's rumored that there is genetic experiments taking place. People who cancel their BFL preorders are sent there

Fox News broadcasts invisible signals that affect your sense of smell. “Fox News Channel --- though it might not be the only one, has inaudile/invisible signals that are being broadcast with the audiovisual that's consciously perceived by the viewers." The ASIC gear are repeaters for this signal and soon everything in the world will smell like raspberry tarts

BFL is spearheading the efforts between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico to become one country.

The number on the back of your social security card is a World Bank account number where BFL is depositing your Preorder money, “there is a form that you can fill out to get that money back from the government, but if you do that you become marked as a “person of interest”

Dentists are putting small microwave-type things in your teeth. “Dentist are putting small microwave type things in your teeth! This is the only way that BFL is able to deliver such high hash rates with their new gear

BFL employees are actually shape shifters. “BFL top brass are actually aliens dressed as humans. I have eye witnessed  Josh blinking very fast then his eyes went completely black then back to normal. Aliens are really walking amongst us now to monitor us”

BFL has fine print saying the company is not responsible for any surveillance done through it gear by the US government.

AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 07:14:22 PM

You got it all wrong. JFK was shot by his driver.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 07:32:37 PM

I was wrong, they will wait until 1BTC be worth 1000 $, then a refund will be possible  Wink

Dude they get their Bicoin payments through Bitpay, which means they never actually accept a Bitcoin. All is converted to U.S. dollars before it enters their account.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
bitmar

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 07:48:52 PM

Just to save everyone the time and cut down on the post clutter here are all the BFL Conspiracy theories in one post:

J. Edgar Hoover created a hit squad made up entirely of homosexuals "to assassinate JFK." "If, after the 'hit,' the street clothes were changed to "flamboyant/gayish" attire, would those people have been detained/questioned as any "normal/regular" looking individual on the street that day, or would they have been ignored as "homosexuals" that couldn't possibly have committed such a horrendous act?" J. Edgar was frozen and later revived and is now running BFL

The Preorders are all rigged  "Bitcoins go up and up. People with get rich quick fever are willing to wait in a line just like the ones for bread in the former Soviet Union for the pipe dream of striking it rich."

We already have cures for cancer but the government has re-purposed all of the chips used to find it in order to make ASIC gear at BFL

Redheads are the offspring of aliens and have been quietly infiltrating BFL in order to seed mind control hardware disguised as ASIC gear

Sono Bono was murdered [on the ski slope] because he was going to expose BFL shipping delays

There is a concentration camp under the Denver International Airport. It has an 8 level underground military base, a gas chamber... and it's rumored that there is genetic experiments taking place. People who cancel their BFL preorders are sent there

Fox News broadcasts invisible signals that affect your sense of smell. “Fox News Channel --- though it might not be the only one, has inaudile/invisible signals that are being broadcast with the audiovisual that's consciously perceived by the viewers." The ASIC gear are repeaters for this signal and soon everything in the world will smell like raspberry tarts

BFL is spearheading the efforts between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico to become one country.

The number on the back of your social security card is a World Bank account number where BFL is depositing your Preorder money, “there is a form that you can fill out to get that money back from the government, but if you do that you become marked as a “person of interest”

Dentists are putting small microwave-type things in your teeth. “Dentist are putting small microwave type things in your teeth! This is the only way that BFL is able to deliver such high hash rates with their new gear

BFL employees are actually shape shifters. “BFL top brass are actually aliens dressed as humans. I have eye witnessed  Josh blinking very fast then his eyes went completely black then back to normal. Aliens are really walking amongst us now to monitor us”

BFL has fine print saying the company is not responsible for any surveillance done through it gear by the US government.

I see more legitimate concerns than conspiracy theories.  BFL has a plan B or C, we keep our fingers crossed, but customers also need to be protected from the potential failure, BFL risking their money. People do not see the progress of BFL, there are more delays and failures. PCB photos are worth nothing, every electronics engineer can do this. So it is what it is.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 07:54:06 PM

meaningless bullshit removed

Here's the actual list:

1. The CEO is a convicted felon who
1.a. Is in probation/supervised release.
1.b. Is prohibited by the terms of his deal from doing a number of things BFL is doing, such as taking money from people.
1.c. Failed to disclose this; once discovered by 3rd parties he made a half-assed statement about "the mean government". Promised post with further details "over the weekend", never materialized.

This was explained away on the vague theory that while convicted "he wasn't really guilty" and while the CEO "he doesn't really have anything to do with the company".

2. BFL is a company that
2.a. Consistently made promises which were then not kept, such as to the time of delivery (blown in the past by 4 months +) and specifications of the items delivered (significantly larger power consumption).
2.b. Consistently takes money from perspective customers in exchange for products that do not actually exist. These don't constitute pre-orders, even if BFL calls them that, but loans to the company.

This was never explained other than "doing things is hard".

3. BFL PR is a guy who
3.a. Is a loudmouth just like I am, except he makes a lot less sense, rarely has a point and also lacks tits.

Enjoy.

(And yes, my personal opinion is that dud run = bankruptcy.)

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 07:56:27 PM

Here's the actual list:

1.b. Is prohibited by the terms of his deal from doing a number of things BFL is doing, such as taking money from people.
1.c. Failed to disclose this; once discovered by 3rd parties he made a half-assed statement about "the mean government". Promised post with further details "over the weekend", never materialized.

This was explained away on the vague theory that while convicted "he wasn't really guilty" and while the CEO "he doesn't really have anything to do with the company".

2. BFL is a company that
2.a. Consistently made promises which were then not kept, such as to the time of delivery (blown in the past by 4 months +) and specifications of the items delivered (significantly larger power consumption).
2.b. Consistently takes money from perspective customers in exchange for products that do not actually exist. These don't constitute pre-orders, even if BFL calls them that, but loans to the company.

3. BFL PR is a guy who
3.a. Is a loudmouth just like I am, except he makes a lot less sense, rarely has a point and also lacks tits.

Enjoy.

I'll quote this for the people that ignore you and boobies Smiley

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 07:59:02 PM

Here's the actual list:

2. BFL is a company that

3. BFL PR is a guy who

Enjoy.

I'll quote this for the people that ignore you and boobies Smiley

I LOVE BOOBIES

-- Signed, The Male League to Promote Boobies, 301st Tit Watching Corps

davidspitzer

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 07:59:27 PM

bitmar

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:01:17 PM

I was wrong, they will wait until 1BTC be worth 1000 $, then a refund will be possible  Wink

Dude they get their Bicoin payments through Bitpay, which means they never actually accept a Bitcoin. All is converted to U.S. dollars before it enters their account.

Damn, I thought it would be any chance  Wink
But they can buy 5000BTC and withhold the refund   Wink   Or build a large FPGA mine,  or maybe they already have one, they gathered a lot of money...  Wink (subtle conspiracy theory Wink )
davidspitzer

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:02:25 PM

End of message
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:14:36 PM

Apparently even people within BFL itself don't keep Josh updated on what's happening.  According to Nasser, the chips are not flawed and the delay is being caused by BFL making changes.

There is a correction to be made: Chips are not and were not flawed. We decided to add certain clock buffers to improve noise-resistance and possibly increase frequency even further. The improve in noise resistance was our real goal (average frequency increase across a full wafer can be a bi-product). The decision was made to increase the near 100% chance of success even more.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/437-asic-update-26-november-2012-a-4.html#post6311

It's more than ridiculous that Josh is not being kept informed of things like this.  BFL's a small enterprise and even people whose role is purely technical must be aware that with the slip in shipping dates customers want both explanations of what's happening and information about when they can really expect to receive their ASICs.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:21:18 PM

@davidspitzer  Hilarious! Cheesy

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
bitmar

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:37:12 PM

Apparently even people within BFL itself don't keep Josh updated on what's happening.  According to Nasser, the chips are not flawed and the delay is being caused by BFL making changes.

There is a correction to be made: Chips are not and were not flawed. We decided to add certain clock buffers to improve noise-resistance and possibly increase frequency even further. The improve in noise resistance was our real goal (average frequency increase across a full wafer can be a bi-product). The decision was made to increase the near 100% chance of success even more.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/437-asic-update-26-november-2012-a-4.html#post6311

It's more than ridiculous that Josh is not being kept informed of things like this.  BFL's a small enterprise and even people whose role is purely technical must be aware that with the slip in shipping dates customers want both explanations of what's happening and information about when they can really expect to receive their ASICs.

Information about the flawed chips caused such a fuss and doing a bad reputation BFL. The truth was uncomfortable so they had to change it.  Funny discrediting Smiley And then people wonder why others do not trust them... I think there is no need now to explain.
tbcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 08:49:02 PM

BFL's reputation really does not matter , we already buy, and those who didn't, they would not do anyway until our orders were shipped.

They already had a bad reputation for FPGA delays and didn't mind

Request your money back by mistrust seems absurd, if you don't trust in they delivery your order, why would you trust they send you money back?

We just have to be patient

Sorry for my bad english Wink
Bitcoin card for deposit and payment + Little POS
Donations:1N65efiNUhH6sEQg7Z6oUC76kJS9Yhevyf
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:50:34 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2012, 09:00:55 PM by MPOE-PR

It's more than ridiculous that Josh is not being kept informed of things like this.

Alternatively, the chips are in fact duds and the announcement was a feeler, BFL wanted to see just how well it shall be received. In this perspective they decided it's not being received well at all.

Duh.

But I am sure that this has nothing to do with the unexplained increase in specs which happened just about the time competition was coming out with better efficiency promises. That surely was legitimate.

Duh.

Request your money back by mistrust seems absurd, if you don't trust in they delivery your order, why would you trust they send you money back?

It's a classical run. If you get your refund order in fast you have a hope of being repaid before too many other people ask for a refund and they realize they're fucked.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 09:02:32 PM

BFL's reputation really does not matter , we already buy, and those who didn't, they would not do anyway until our orders were shipped.

They already had a bad reputation for FPGA delays and didn't mind

We just have to be patient

Not really true, reputation of course matters. Both for retaining customers (as a US based business they don't get to just "not refund" with no consequences, even if it might be onerous to follow up on), and gaining new orders, to whit:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/437-asic-update-26-november-2012-a-2.html#

There is someone who claims to be buying MORE BFL products after announcement of delays, because they were at least telling them something. Reputation is definitely worth something.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 09:23:41 PM

There is someone who claims to be buying MORE BFL products after announcement of delays, because they were at least telling them something. Reputation is definitely worth something.

Yeah, but according to the guy's photostream, he's pretty much piss drunk all day everyday, so he's probably not the most sensible guy anyway.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: