Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:12:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting Up a Bitcoin Node  (Read 28487 times)
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 12:04:44 PM

Is there any other benefit to running a full node beyond increasing the diversity/stability of the network?

Im not sure but having more connections would mean that blocks are loaded faster if you have to download blocks for some days. With standard client it can be hard to wait to download the blocks of last days.
Its hard to wait until to get confirmations but even harder when you cant use bitcoins because you miss the last blocks. With more connections this should be faster.

That is false, downloading of blocks are depended on I/O speeds, CPU, and network, this will not make blocks download faster.

The benefits are that your helping the network and protecting it.

Strange. I never had much traffic or cpu and blocks were loading painful slow with 8 connections. So my guess was that, like with every other p2p-network you only need more partners to get blocks faster. Ok, then the border is somewhere else...

whenever i have a significant amt of blocks I need to catch up on, i just connect to one fast node..   then there's no risk of slow peers, taking the 'network' out of the equation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:03:53 PM

Alright Gents, I have 25 connections now and have relayed a couple of transactions first on blockchain.info. 
-Wave

I setup port forwarding to my client last night.  I'm up to 28 connections now.

How do you know you've relayed transactions?  Does the client log that?
Thanks,
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Wave (OP)

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:59:38 PM

Os2Sam,
Search for your IP address on blockchain.info site is how I did it.

-Wave
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 03:03:16 PM

Os2Sam,

-Wave

Oh, OK.  Obvious enough Smiley.

Well you've helped me move forward a little more.  Hadn't really thought much about setting up port forwarding to my Bitcoin node in a while, now with your, and others, here input I've gotten it done.
Thanks,
Sam

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 10:38:31 PM

Is there any other benefit to running a full node beyond increasing the diversity/stability of the network?

Im not sure but having more connections would mean that blocks are loaded faster if you have to download blocks for some days. With standard client it can be hard to wait to download the blocks of last days.
Its hard to wait until to get confirmations but even harder when you cant use bitcoins because you miss the last blocks. With more connections this should be faster.

That is false, downloading of blocks are depended on I/O speeds, CPU, and network, this will not make blocks download faster.

The benefits are that your helping the network and protecting it.

Strange. I never had much traffic or cpu and blocks were loading painful slow with 8 connections. So my guess was that, like with every other p2p-network you only need more partners to get blocks faster. Ok, then the border is somewhere else...

whenever i have a significant amt of blocks I need to catch up on, i just connect to one fast node..   then there's no risk of slow peers, taking the 'network' out of the equation

How do you connect to just one node (and know it's fast)? I have to download the entire blockchain, and its going to take days at the current rate.
Fcx35x10

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 06:04:10 AM

I just set up mines on a vm. Took about 2 hours to dowoad. Supporting ฿ all the way!
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 12:24:52 AM

If it doesn't increase it numbers of connections try:

bitcoin-qt.exe -maxconnections=x , while x is the number of connections you would like to have at max.

This option only limits your connections to your "x" value.

Is there a reason to limit the number of connections?  If so what is a good number to limit it to?
Sam

Wave (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:21:52 AM

Been going a few weeks now, and it seems I average around 60 connections.  How do I improve that?

-Wave
owenmichaels

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:31:00 PM

I got it, up to 10 connections now and slowly climbing.

The short of it...

Install bitcoinqt client and sync with block chain
Be sure the computer running the bitcoin client gets a static IP address assigned by your router
Forward port TCP port 8333 from internet to the IP you assigned in the step above
Done ;-)

-Wave

Why does it have to be TCP port 8333?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:43:31 PM

I got it, up to 10 connections now and slowly climbing.

The short of it...

Install bitcoinqt client and sync with block chain
Be sure the computer running the bitcoin client gets a static IP address assigned by your router
Forward port TCP port 8333 from internet to the IP you assigned in the step above
Done ;-)

-Wave

Why does it have to be TCP port 8333?

Why not?  It has to be something.  I guess that is what the programmers decided on when they started the Bitcoin Client development.

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 06:05:21 PM

It's the default port. You can change it in the config file.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 11:37:39 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2013, 11:18:20 AM by os2sam

Os2Sam,

-Wave

Oh, OK.  Obvious enough Smiley.

Well you've helped me move forward a little more.  Hadn't really thought much about setting up port forwarding to my Bitcoin node in a while, now with your, and others, here input I've gotten it done.
Thanks,
Sam

I haven't paid much attention to my "Full Bitcoin Node" in a while.  But today I took a look at my bandwidth usage.  My uplink bandwidth is peaking around 1.4Mb and I'm relaying 7 to 15 transactions a day now.  I was a little surprised by my bandwidth usage though.

Was curious as to what others mileage was now?
Such as:

How many connections?
How many transactions relayed a day?
Upstream bandwidth usage?

Sam

Wave (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:19:34 PM

Have not looked at bandwidth.  So, I have my own URL and was thinking or setting up a port forward for a URL so my IP address is not an issue.  Thoughts?  Anyone done this?
Cranky4u

Activity: 810

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:21:03 AM

Thinking about setting up a full node...mainly interested if you get paid those small transaction limit BTCs that are sometimes asked for in transactions...if not, were do those micro-BTC units get sent to when your over the limit?

The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:25:10 PM

Can you guys help me do this on a Mac? I too would like to help improve the network.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:45:50 PM

Can you guys help me do this on a Mac? I too would like to help improve the network.

Just download bitcoin-qt

I have it. I'm reffering to configuring the port forward to allow for more connections. I'm currently only able to connect up to 8.
T-rage_11

Activity: 74

www.btcaudio.eu || LIVE-AUDIO-TICKER

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 10:09:44 PM

can someone compile this for windows? https://github.com/TvdW/bitpeer

Bitpeer is an experimental Bitcoin relay server. Its event-driven architecture makes it extremely fast, and it was designed to be very lightweight.

this is the creator: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/users/4358/tom-van-der-woerdt

the creator donates 250GB a day with this software to the network !!!!!

I wrote my own lightweight tx/block relay that can easily handle up to 10000 incoming connections as long as the network connection allows it. I then tweaked it to ensure a high amount of connections (incoming or outgoing, currently ~750) and since it's usually first with relaying blocks/transactions, that causes a lot of network traffic. – Tom van der Woerdt

i need this for windows or linux  Grin but I have no idea how to build this ..  Huh

Bitcoin Donation: 1337WiNsz5zEnjCUtpvfGaztJqLe5Wxge2
www.btcaudio.eu - LIVE-AUDIO-TICKER
www.t-rage11.bplaced.net - watch & chat
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 11:50:27 PM

Bitpeer is an experimental Bitcoin relay server. Its event-driven architecture makes it extremely fast, and it was designed to be very lightweight.

this is the creator: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/users/4358/tom-van-der-woerdt

I wrote my own lightweight tx/block relay that can easily handle up to 10000 incoming connections as long as the network connection allows it. I then tweaked it to ensure a high amount of connections (incoming or outgoing, currently ~750) and since it's usually first with relaying blocks/transactions, that causes a lot of network traffic. – Tom van der Woerdt

i need this for windows or linux  Grin but I have no idea how to build this ..  Huh

Uhmmm this is a huge security risk. If you want to use a central server I suggest using electrum which has window binaries.

This is a horrible program it does nothing and can be easily converted to a cancer node and hurt the network.

If you want to donate to the network use bitcoin-qt.
T-rage_11

Activity: 74

www.btcaudio.eu || LIVE-AUDIO-TICKER

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2013, 10:26:54 AM

Uhmmm this is a huge security risk. If you want to use a central server I suggest using electrum which has window binaries.

This is a horrible program it does nothing and can be easily converted to a cancer node and hurt the network.

okay, but it would be nice if someone makes a modified version of bitcoin-qt for more connections .. I only get 40 connections or something..
Also an external IP detection every 10 minutes for users with a dynamic IP would be nice !
My ISP changes my IP every 24h .. and than the connections drop to 8 because the client doesn't update his external IP !!!!   Undecided
I already posted this problem in the dev-forum but I think it got ignored..  Huh

Bitcoin Donation: 1337WiNsz5zEnjCUtpvfGaztJqLe5Wxge2
www.btcaudio.eu - LIVE-AUDIO-TICKER
www.t-rage11.bplaced.net - watch & chat
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 06:11:12 PM

i need this for windows or linux  Grin but I have no idea how to build this ..  Huh

okay, but it would be nice if someone makes a modified version of bitcoin-qt for more connections .. I only get 40 connections or something..
Also an external IP detection every 10 minutes for users with a dynamic IP would be nice !
My ISP changes my IP every 24h .. and than the connections drop to 8 because the client doesn't update his external IP !!!!   Undecided
I already posted this problem in the dev-forum but I think it got ignored..  Huh

The stock bitcoind, accepts default 125 connections, if you want to change that you can add
Code:
maxconnections=200
To your bitcoin conf file. Remember bitcoin is P2P so your not going be be able to connect to a lot of nodes on it's own. You may want to look at
Code:
connect=<ip address>
So you can connect to more people.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: