Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:54:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Bitmessage - P2P Messaging system based partially on Bitcoin  (Read 89812 times)
Chaoskampf

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

order in numbers

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:49:01 PM

This is such an awesome piece of software. There's so many applications you could develop that integrate it. Can't wait to sink my teeth in.

Amazing isn't it ?  Grin

Amazing is putting it lightly. This is almost as revolutionary as Bitcoin itself (maybe I'm going a little overboard?)

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:26:19 AM

I wonder if there would be a way to make a 'super client' of Bitmessage/Namecoin/Bitcoin all rolled into one. Maybe use Namecoin as a bridge between the two. So you could do both secure communications, and payments all in one.

Perhaps it would be interesting to build a browser plugin that pulls all these things together.

more or less retired.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 02:25:42 PM

This is such an awesome piece of software. There's so many applications you could develop that integrate it. Can't wait to sink my teeth in.

Amazing isn't it ?  Grin

Amazing is putting it lightly. This is almost as revolutionary as Bitcoin itself (maybe I'm going a little overboard?)

no i dont think you are. this could be the backbone for a new internet if the government ever tried to kill switch the exiting infrastructure. it solves the problem of routing across disparate adhock networks. at first it could be used to transfer the relevant information directly, but later it could be used to allow networks to come to agreements on how to structure meshnets. this might be bigger than bitcoin.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Chaoskampf

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

order in numbers

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:30:39 PM

Amazing isn't it ?  Grin

no i dont think you are. this could be the backbone for a new internet if the government ever tried to kill switch the exiting infrastructure. it solves the problem of routing across disparate adhock networks. at first it could be used to transfer the relevant information directly, but later it could be used to allow networks to come to agreements on how to structure meshnets. this might be bigger than bitcoin.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm having trouble going to sleep because I can't step away from the protocol. It's so incredibly air tight, and the possibilities are truly amazing. I'm working on a project that's going to be using it extensively.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 07:12:30 PM

this might be bigger than bitcoin.

Um, This is bitcoin. Just without the blockchain. Credit where credit is due  Wink
Financisto

Activity: 630
Merit: 767

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 08:17:36 AM

I'd like to suggest something:

I guess that Firstbits stuff for Bitcoin addresses that were developed months ago would be a great implementation to Bitmessage as well.

Short bits are easier to remember as an "email address".

Don't you think so?

Here goes the original BTC idea: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=16217.0

BitcoinTalk's ESCROW Providers: Ranking & BlacklistCompilation of (open-source) BRAINWALLET projectsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 08:27:03 AM

After what happened with first bits, I'm not relying on something like that again.

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:52:56 PM

Yeah, I'm still getting the (admittedly non-important) issue where my systray icon displays a red circle and the context menu says "Not Connected" even though the client gives green circle and is connected.

And yes, although it makes sense to have all that stuff in the same file (subs, address book, white/black list, messages, etc) I wonder if corrupt messages become an issue. Someone mentioned losing the file because of a corrupt message.... also, smaller backup footprint.

I could imagine that having your saved contacts, subs, blacklist, etc in one file would make that a very tiny file compared to the messages.dat.

But then again, flash drives usually have many gigabytes so this isn't really that important I guess...
slacker

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 03:10:20 AM

I made some test and it looks like the creator of the pseudo-mailing-list must be online in order messages send to this address to be received by subscribers.

Why this is needed? Why messages cannot be received if the creator of the pseudo-mailing-list is offline?
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 03:23:04 AM

I made some test and it looks like the creator of the pseudo-mailing-list must be online in order messages send to this address to be received by subscribers.

Why this is needed? Why messages cannot be received if the creator of the pseudo-mailing-list is offline?
Because a pseudo-mailing-list, unlike a chan, works almost exactly like a normal mailing-list: you send a message to the server, and then the server re-broadcasts your message to everybody.
slacker

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 03:43:17 AM

Because a pseudo-mailing-list, unlike a chan, works almost exactly like a normal mailing-list: you send a message to the server, and then the server re-broadcasts your message to everybody.

Thank you. Now I understand. I just updated my blog post about this.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 09:39:41 PM

Why not make it so one can use a Bitcoin address / keypair for messaging?

Bitcoin and Bitmessage keys will be interchangeable. Today I coded the key generation sections; Bitmessage will even save keys in Wallet Import Format.

However Bitmessage will use two keys- one for encryption and one for signing. Thus Bitcoin addresses (which are only a hash of a signing key) wouldn't be sufficient for Bitmessage. It seems to me that Bitmessage addresses could be turned into Bitcoin addresses but not the other way around.

This is gonna be cool.

Now you could store those Bitmessage/Bitcoin keys in a namecoin 'alias' namespace http://dot-bit.org/Namespace:Aliases and have the Bitmessenger client just send to a human-readable name from the namecoin blockchain ... voila ... end-to-end secure, autonomous look-up, authenticated, human-readable messaging system.
About that Bitmessage+Namecoin integration again... (many more posts further up)

Namecoin development is on overdrive right now (there are working implementations of TLS / Namecoin-QT / OpenNameId / independent local DNS proxy and lots more in NMControl / easy to install .bit plugins and server based local DNS proxy)....

Atheros and everyone else, what is your stand on this, is there still interest, how could this look like? From a Namecoin point of view a bitmessage address could simply be included in the id namespace (see http://dot-bit.org/Namespace:Identity at the very bottom) but how would the integration work on the bitmessage side?

Here there is a thread about it on the Namecoin forum: http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1004

There might be cake a bounty, too.

About the Namecoin blockchain size issue: Hopefully there will be client with light checking like Multibit some time.

domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 06:33:41 AM

Just to let you know (I already posted in the Bitmessage forum though, so a lot of people reading this may already have seen it anyway), I just started work on integrating namecoin identities with the bitmessage client, see https://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1004.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:32:44 PM

Is it overkill to use PGP for the messages sent with BitMessage? (encryption^2)
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 07:36:36 PM

I would still use pgp.. for certain messages. Bm hasn't been fully audited yet, a vulernability could exist.
Plus your keys could be stolen like a wallet.

gollum

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:44:50 PM

I would still use pgp.. for certain messages. Bm hasn't been fully audited yet, a vulernability could exist.
Plus your keys could be stolen like a wallet.
Its motivating that Im not the only paranoid person here Wink I believe that paranoia is an evolutionary benefit in the society we got today.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 07:49:50 PM

I mean bm is almost pgp, million times better than email, but why not also add pgp. It's just an extra second vs in jail for years.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:03:39 AM

I mean bm is almost pgp, million times better than email, but why not also add pgp. It's just an extra second vs in jail for years.

What the hell are you involved in?

Edit: actually i don't want to know.

gollum

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 12:01:24 AM

What the hell are you involved in?

Edit: actually i don't want to know.
What is legal today may be illegal tommorow - So its better be safe than sorry.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 12:28:25 AM

Yup and a lifetime in jail or Guantanamo would suck

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: