Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:53:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitcoin get faster transactions like Litecoin?  (Read 3345 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:57:39 AM

I know how disappointing it is for having to wait around 15 to 30 minutes for a Bitcoin transaction to get confirmed by the network. But I think faster transactions could be achieved if devs decide to improve the code. Just look at Litecoin, Dogecoin, and Ethereum. They have faster confirmation times and some good features. I have no doubt that Bitcoin will be improved in the near future and it will remain as the top crypto currency.
What do you think about it?  Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 01:06:47 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 02:37:23 PM by calkob

I know how disappointing it is for having to wait around 15 to 30 minutes for a Bitcoin transaction to get confirmed by the network. But I think faster transactions could be achieved if devs decide to improve the code. Just look at Litecoin, Dogecoin, and Ethereum. They have faster confirmation times and some good features. I have no doubt that Bitcoin will be improved in the near future and it will remain as the top crypto currency.
What do you think about it?  Smiley

im not sure your understanding how crypto currencies work, to change the confirmation time of Bitcoin would be to change Bitcoin, which would probably destroy it at this stage.  there are a set amount of Bitcoins to be created on a set time scale, with each confirmation.  Every 10mins 25BTC and after (roughly) July 2016 every 10 mins 12.5BTC and so on halving every 4 years.  

Can you see how lowering the confirmation time would be detrimental?  it would need to either create more Bitcoin or some confirmations would not create any bitcoin which miners need at this stage to reward them...... litecoin, dogecoin and ethereum are all set up with vastly greater amounts to be created.  For example litecoin confirms i think 4 times faster but also is set to produce 4 times more coins.  dogecoin and ether dont have any limet on the coins created as far as i am aware, all tho i do stand to be corrected on this one.  

21,000,000BTC is all that is ever going to be created, this is what makes each bitcoin valuable and scarce.

i find it really strange that someone who is a full member on bitcointalk dosnt understand this Huh Huh Huh confirmation times on bitcoin will never be changed
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 01:17:29 AM

You can't just change a major part of Bitcoin, the transaction code, without completely changing Bitcoin. I don't think you understand how cryptocurrencies work. All those other cryptocurrencies that you listed are different to Bitcoin. Bitcoin will never become like them.
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 01:32:00 AM

It is technically possible to change this within Bitcoin, the emission schedule could even be adjusted to allow for quicker confirmation times without changing the total supply of Bitcoin. However I doubt that this is practically possible, such a change would require the economic majority to believe very strongly that such a change is important, I do not think that such a change would be implemented in Bitcoin because it is simply not important enough unlike present issue with the blocksize.
Pattart

Activity: 1190

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:34:19 AM

This is not some matter that can be fixed with "improved code". The confirmations times are with block generation times and network consensus. To change this would require a hard fork, and there is no reason to change it.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 03:42:02 AM

21,000,000BTC is all that is ever going to be created, this is what makes each bitcoin valuable and scarce. for example if you own 21BTC you are always going to be in the 1% club.

Actually, you would need 210,000 btc to be in the 1% club.  Smiley

i find it really strange that someone who is a full member on bitcointalk dosnt understand this Huh Huh Huh

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 06:52:27 AM

Noway bitcoin confirmation time is always set at 10 minutes or around 10 minutes. If it can be set lower than block halving will occur to often and people specially miners don't get time to adjust them self with the price and mining reward. This may kill the entire bitcoin network.
quentincole32

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 07:28:01 AM

no i dont think bitcoin transaction will be like litecoin transaction,it because different node and amount of transaction,so many bitcoin and high amount of transaction,it sometime make bitcoin transaction longer than litecoin.

▃▃▌▌AMBROSUS▐▐▃▃▃ - TRUSTED QUALITY OF FOOD & MEDICINE
ICO date 13 September
Blind Legs Parker

Activity: 2002
Merit: 721

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:27:35 AM

Actually, you would need 210,000 btc to be in the 1% club.  Smiley
Being in the 1% club doesn't mean that you own 1% of all the bitcoins that are out there. It's about being in the 1% people in the world who own the most bitcoins.
In the most extreme case it can even be done by just having 1 satoshi if the rest of the bitcoins belong to only one person. In that case you would even be in a much more restricted club since only two people own bitcoins: you and an extremely wealthy guy. You'd be in the 2/7000000000 club (7000000000 being an estimation of the world's population as of now). That's the 2.857142857142857*10e-8% club. Very restricted indeed.

I don't know what sources calkob used to claim that having 21BTC would make you a member of the 1% club, though. As far as I know it could be less, or it could be more. But it definitely doesn't share that close a connection with what share you actually own.

As for the subject of the topic, calkob already answered the question: bitcoin confirmation time will never get faster.

Vous pouvez maintenant refermer ce topic et reprendre une activité normale. À ciao bonsoir.
bearex

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:47:03 AM

I think it will not be possible. I do aggree however that this is a major downfall for bitcoin; 10 minutes for a single confirmation.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:48:54 AM

only with sidechain maybe, so if you're worried about this to happen or not, wait for that because it the most near thing to altcoin, you cna get for bitcoin

no hard forking for change this stuff will ever be made in bitcoin
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 08:50:48 AM

i dont think that this is necessary for bitcoin. you can get fast transactions without changing that (SC). but in any case: it is wise to hold some Litecoin too  Wink

delliaerd

Activity: 672

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:16:47 AM

I think how long the bitcoin transactions not serious problem. We just be patient. But if the developer wants to improve this feature it would be better Smiley

..C..
........Finally C is .........
...........            ............
       ............            ............
...................      ....................

andreld

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 09:23:18 AM

Faster block time (first confirmation) will create more orphan blocks. It is not good for the security of the coin. If really fast confirmation is needed, you can use Ethereum. The block time is about 18 seconds. But you need hundreds of confirmation to say you securely receive the funds.

n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:23:33 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 10:07:22 AM by n2004al

What do you think about it?  Smiley

The above things are developers stuffs. So I cannot tell nothing because I don't understand nothing about the probable possibilities or the ways that must be followed to have confirmations. Have no meaning to tell that is very boring to wait for the confirmation in order that your bitcoin have the right to be used or treated as given definitely to its destination. It is a little improvement compared with the beginning (two-three years ago) regarding the confirmations (before needed at least 6 confirmations that the transaction be considered as good from the other part which received the bitcoins while today it is enough even if have only one or two or max three) but not enough to not consider again boring the wait.

Anyhow the main reason of this my post is not much the normal wait for the first, second or third confirmation for the normal transactions (which normally last 10-30 min) but for the "lack and the missing first one confirmation" for that kind of transaction treated by the blockchain and the miners as unworthy and leaved without confirmation for hours and hours. Its turn to be confirmed bypassed continuously from more "important" ones and the sender must wait since some miner or the God itself see that exist and must be treated as the others. This is the must tormentress wait. Especially if you need that this transaction goes as soon as it would possible in destination (because of various reasons or needs). There are such kind of things that must be fixed before all. Every transaction must have the undeniable right to be confirmed when it is its turn. Period. After the solution of this situation can come the solution of all the other ones.
avw1982

Activity: 644

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 10:26:53 AM

BTC transactions takes longer time to complete the transaction especially in confirmation part, I think this problems will fix soon and more faster transaction We can see and confirmation also will be very fast as soon as possible.
betohell

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 10:48:46 AM

I think how long the bitcoin transactions not serious problem. We just be patient. But if the developer wants to improve this feature it would be better Smiley
Nope. users need fast transactions. now sending bitcoin to get 1 confirmation takes a few minutes. maybe 10 minutes
If this continues to happen. customers will go out
not everyone can wait

Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 11:03:49 AM

10 minute blocks are there for a reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0fHpQV9wHo

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 12:21:47 PM

Nope. users need fast transactions. now sending bitcoin to get 1 confirmation takes a few minutes. maybe 10 minutes
If this continues to happen. customers will go out
not everyone can wait

I rather wait 10 minutes than 3 days when using bank.

xeryan

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

HTML5/Node.js/PHP developer

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:29:22 PM

6-15 minutes are for one block, but usually you'll need at least 3 confirmations to trust a payment which increment the waiting time to 18-45 minutes (average is 30).
Still better than banks Wink

For now, focus on major scaling problems of the bitcoin that require more attention
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: