Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:33:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we deal with an internet blackout?  (Read 6735 times)
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:45:48 AM

It's entirely plausible to expect Internet access in a certain geographic region to be unavailable for days, possibly weeks, in the event of temporary anarchy. Everyone here understands how regulation and economic forces can devastate a society, sending it back significantly in terms of technology and standard of living.

I think the best way to deal with this is to have a small amount invested in physical precious metals, like one ounce gold and silver rounds. These are more readily spent if there's no electricity and the local currency collapses.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:49:48 AM

It's entirely plausible to expect Internet access in a certain geographic region to be unavailable for days, possibly weeks, in the event of temporary anarchy. Everyone here understands how regulation and economic forces can devastate a society, sending it back significantly in terms of technology and standard of living.

I think the best way to deal with this is to have a small amount invested in physical precious metals, like one ounce gold and silver rounds. These are more readily spent if there's no electricity and the local currency collapses.

Yes, and for those having the resources, perhaps investing in a backup of sorts (sattelite connection / ham radio connection) and solar panels / wind mills, could be an idea?
Trader Steve (OP)

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:54:55 AM

Yes, and for those having the resources, perhaps investing in a backup of sorts (sattelite connection / ham radio connection) and solar panels / wind mills, could be an idea?

Agreed. You would possess valuable assets that, in turn, make you valuable to your local community. This is one more asset/service you can offer in trade to help sustain yourself.

Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:06:21 AM

Here's  a relevant article to this discussion:

Syria's Internet Outage and the Future of Information Warfare
http://www.activistpost.com/2012/12/syrias-internet-outage-and-future-of.html

miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:25:13 AM

Agreed regarding precious metals.

By the end of 2013, basic meshnet infrastructure will have been rolled out. Exclusive reliance upon it will result in slow transmission speeds, but so long as there is power, there will be Internet access. Sometime in 2014-15, an even more resilient network should be gaining traction and capable of providing more robust services.
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:34:10 AM

Agreed regarding precious metals.

By the end of 2013, basic meshnet infrastructure will have been rolled out. Exclusive reliance upon it will result in slow transmission speeds, but so long as there is power, there will be Internet access. Sometime in 2014-15, an even more resilient network should be gaining traction and capable of providing more robust services.

That sounds great. How does one get involved and help move this along?
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:57:14 AM

In scenarios where countries or large Geos are isolated form the rest of the Internet, I'd be concerned about which of the two blockchains will orphan the other when connectivity is restored.  

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:58:27 AM

has there been any larger test cases for a mesh net ?
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 02:53:51 AM

I found this : https://commotionwireless.net/[/b]]https://commotionwireless.net/

If this project mature enough and gain a lot of participant, this could be an alternative in the event of an internet blackout !

very interesting !
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 03:36:55 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2012, 04:32:58 AM by BkkCoins

It may be helpful to set up some standards for handling transaction verification via voice calls or radio. It's very hard to say addresses and other long strings by voice reliably.

The Electrum client uses a set of words that are standardized and readable without confusion. It might be handy to create tools for taking addresses, keys, transactions, or signatures and converting them to readable word lists that can be verbally used to verify or send trx.

I wouldn't mind adapting code and writing such tools but I'd need help to determine what's useful and what's not. So given certain scenarios people have for trying to do something by voice with no net, or even by SMS or mail, what bits of info need to be exchanged?

Having a map of what's viable to do this way, a tool for encoding the right data when needed, may just make it feasible in situations. Without having it worked out in advance it would be hard to know what to do or what is secure or even that it may be doable.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 04:26:35 AM

Remember connection via satellite  Wink

But. isn't that even easier to blackout than any other route??? We don't put sats up the, the Governors do, and we couldn't keep 'em there cos we aren't military.

I think he's talking about the case for example if Iran's government black out the Internet for the people of Iran, then satellite would definitely be an option. Iranian government can't take down other country's satellites. Satellite companies can provide people in Iran satellite internet (though I guess you have to smuggle equipment into Iran first).

Actually they can take out satellites by jamming.  This jamming can be local on the downlink side (possible to get around) or be on the uplink side (much harder to get around). 

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/world/iran-accused-of-jamming-satellites-300145.html

If you have good techs with equipment you can do microwave links in some areas to bridge.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:38:56 AM

Yes, and there is an org that is doing testing of a wireless mesh WAN, although I can't think of the name just now.  I believe they are working in Arizona right now, but they already have a nationally allocated frequency band license from the FCC, so this is no fly by night operation.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:39:59 AM

In scenarios where countries or large Geos are isolated form the rest of the Internet, I'd be concerned about which of the two blockchains will orphan the other when connectivity is restored.  

There are ways to determine if you are on the small side of a network split, but none have been implimeted in any client yet, as far as I know.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:47:09 AM

PM are not really a solution in the near term, as the vast majority of people have zero practical experience with silver or gold coins, in order to recognize them when they need to.  It's relatively easy to create credible fakes of gold plated tungsten while the lights still work that would fool 98%+ of the population after the lights go out.  This condition would last for months, until people began to figure out how to recognize the fakes; and until then most people simply aren't going to trust some guy with gold coins.  Silver has less of a problem here, and is useful in other ways for disinfection, etc, but most people aren't going to have need for silver anyway.  Barter items, such as common firearm caliber ammo, are better for the near term.  Bullets are already money anyway.  They are made of several commodities, are themselves useful, come in common units, are readily recognizeable to those who might wish to trade them, and any one is pretty much interchangeable with any other, and they don't rot.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:55:22 AM

Yes, and there is an org that is doing testing of a wireless mesh WAN, although I can't think of the name just now.  I believe they are working in Arizona right now, but they already have a nationally allocated frequency band license from the FCC, so this is no fly by night operation.

Sounds like Free Network Foundation.   They have a nationwide license for 3.6 GHz  (for backhaul of a Kilometer-wide range).
They are operating a mesh in Kansas City right now.
 - http://commons.thefnf.org/index.php

Incidentally there's another recent thread with some overlap:

Bitcoin + Decentralized Internet = ?
- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=127849.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 05:38:32 AM

Here's  a relevant article to this discussion:

Syria's Internet Outage and the Future of Information Warfare
http://www.activistpost.com/2012/12/syrias-internet-outage-and-future-of.html

does anyone else see the irony of the State being actively involved in developing the very tools that will eventually undermine the immense power they so lust?  the Internet itself was developed by the military in conjunction with academia, Tor was developed by the Dept of the Navy, and now NATO is developing the Internet in a Suitcase?  no wonder i'm so bullish on Bitcoin.

this was a great article, as i had articulated earlier this week that the rebels, in fact, had just as much of a motive to disrupt Internet communications within Syria as the gov't.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 06:35:34 AM

My bitcoin? What would I do with my day and my life? Walk around and look for berries I guess, maybe fashion a slingshot and take out the fattest squirrels.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 03:52:33 PM

Here are some relevant comments as well:

What happens to bitcoin if the internet were to be controlled by the government?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/141j2t/what_happens_to_bitcoin_if_the_internet_were_to/

miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 05:23:42 PM

does anyone else see the irony of the State being actively involved in developing the very tools that will eventually undermine the immense power they so lust?  the Internet itself was developed by the military in conjunction with academia, Tor was developed by the Dept of the Navy, and now NATO is developing the Internet in a Suitcase?  no wonder i'm so bullish on Bitcoin.

Digging their own graves. Delicious, isn't it?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 06:27:17 PM

does anyone else see the irony of the State being actively involved in developing the very tools that will eventually undermine the immense power they so lust?  the Internet itself was developed by the military in conjunction with academia, Tor was developed by the Dept of the Navy, and now NATO is developing the Internet in a Suitcase?  no wonder i'm so bullish on Bitcoin.

Digging their own graves. Delicious, isn't it?

yes it is.  where can i buy one of those suitcases?  do they come with rollers?  i'll take one in red with leather.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: