Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:47:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another analyst :)  (Read 269515 times)
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 03:39:29 PM

Anybody ever ask him what he thinks of Bitcoin?

While Prechter has his admirers, he has been criticized by media and pundits for his long term record. For example, The Wall Street Journal ran a page one article in August 1993 with the headline, "Robert Prechter sees his 3600 on the Dow – But 6 years late," in reference to Prechter's 1987 forecast for the Dow Jones Industrial Average.[32] Technical analyst David Aronson wrote:

The Elliott Wave Principle, as popularly practiced, is not a legitimate theory, but a story, and a compelling one that is eloquently told by Robert Prechter. The account is especially persuasive because EWP has the seemingly remarkable ability to fit any segment of market history down to its most minute fluctuations. I contend this is made possible by the method's loosely defined rules and the ability to postulate a large number of nested waves of varying magnitude. This gives the Elliott analyst the same freedom and flexibility that allowed pre-Copernican astronomers to explain all observed planet movements even though their underlying theory of an Earth-centered universe was wrong.[33]

EW works but cant predict what a single man will do  but ofc most of "smart ppl" ignore that

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 05:12:46 PM

To be clear I didn't write that, I stole it from wikipedia.  edit, fixed.
waveaddict

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 05:55:25 PM

Its a fractal theory, thats why it apply to any movement. I dont know if it is wrong or right, but it has worked for me.

Same here. I don't think it's a coincidence that Paul Tutor Jones (one of the greatest traders) is an avid follower of Elliott Wave (EW). IMO, Elliott Wave receives a terrible rap from the vast majority of people who discover it and subsequently bet the farm with one EW interpretation because they barely understanding it, lose everything, and inevitably demonize it.

As I've frequently stated, Elliott Wave is not the holy grail of trading. It's merely a tool (one of many) that a trader uses to help lower risk and maximize gains.

Anybody ever ask him what he thinks of Bitcoin?

While Prechter has his admirers, he has been criticized by media and pundits for his long term record. For example, The Wall Street Journal ran a page one article in August 1993 with the headline, "Robert Prechter sees his 3600 on the Dow – But 6 years late," in reference to Prechter's 1987 forecast for the Dow Jones Industrial Average.[32] Technical analyst David Aronson wrote:

The Elliott Wave Principle, as popularly practiced, is not a legitimate theory, but a story, and a compelling one that is eloquently told by Robert Prechter. The account is especially persuasive because EWP has the seemingly remarkable ability to fit any segment of market history down to its most minute fluctuations. I contend this is made possible by the method's loosely defined rules and the ability to postulate a large number of nested waves of varying magnitude. This gives the Elliott analyst the same freedom and flexibility that allowed pre-Copernican astronomers to explain all observed planet movements even though their underlying theory of an Earth-centered universe was wrong.[33]

It just so happens that Pretcher is an avid longer term bitcoin bull. In fact he believes it is the only asset besides cash that is a good investment during what he sees as the upcoming grand super-cycle bear market.

lucif (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Clown prophet

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 07:23:34 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2013, 07:34:04 PM by lucif

MO, Elliott Wave receives a terrible rap from the vast majority of people who discover it and subsequently bet the farm with one EW interpretation because they barely understanding it, lose everything, and inevitably demonize it.
Sounds like a slap for me as your disciple. So probably I should justify myself here.

Yes, I share only one EW prediction, while there are a lot. But..
1. My count is based on many background indicators which I dont share here.
2. Also based on my personal market observation since 2011 boom. For example,  curent bubble wave is a perfect fractal of 2011 one.
3. Also based on personal daily overview of bitcoin and stock market events. For example I know that global campaign against money laundering is in active stage and many exchanges will (or already) have problems with fiat.
4. Also based on paid analysis subscriptions. But I dont copy anyone and have personal view. I drew that triangle in weekly timeframe before many others just because I know that triangle always develops after huge moves and especially in 4th wave.

Etc, etc. I have serious background behind my pics which makes me confident along with my profits.

But I always have key indicators which will ruin my view on their break and turn my strategy in opposite direction.
I.e. I perceive market signals directly and I stopped to live in imagine world. Market taught me with this. Market is always right - not me.

tl; dr - I have different views but post here only most probable one from my own complex considerations.
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:06:52 PM

Lucif,

I respect your opinion like many of the others here and appreciate your detailed analysis.  You appear to be right more often than not.  I agree that regulation is coming against exchanges and there will be a period when bitcoin will not flow freely.  Maybe that changes if the peer to peer trading starts to take off.  

I believe regulation is good for bitcoin.  While it will be expensive to build a compliant exchange I expect one to appear in the next year or two.  Maybe even one in America.  ? https://pro.bitcoincharts.com/ ?

How do you interpret what is said here?

It just so happens that Pretcher is an avid longer term bitcoin bull. In fact he believes it is the only asset besides cash that is a good investment during what he sees as the upcoming grand super-cycle bear market.

Like Mr Pretcher I'm concerned about a grand super-cycle bear market.  Assuming the US Dollar will continue to lose it's buying power is the future of bitcoin not strong?  Why would people stop trading it if there is:

1) an underground market for it which, like with fiat money, will never go away
2) an above ground market for it where non-law breakers speculate with btc vs USD
3) scarcity
lucif (OP)

Clown prophet

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:21:12 PM

Regulation for bitcoin is good? I don't think so. FATF is involved in war with cash. Their purpose is total annihilation of cash, total control of centralized electronic fiat flow. So you think they will say welcome to bitcoin, which is digital cash? Its a trap. "Come here, get destroyed , oh sorry, regulated of course!"
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:31:23 PM

Bank account can be seized but no bitcoin.
lucif (OP)

Clown prophet

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:37:32 PM

We have alot "bank bitcoin accounts" which stays in order to get regulated. Mtgox for example.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:21:59 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2013, 09:32:29 PM by Odalv

Colored Bitcoins (almost same as bitcoins) can be used for $ transfers.

a) to make your bitcoin colored, you have to deposit $10,000/BTC (in special account)
b) if you have Colored Bitcoin then you can anytime withdraw $10,000/BTC (from special account) and make them an ordinary bitcoins.

question: how to build bank account where you can deposit money and NOBODY can seize it ?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 09:24:18 PM

Colored Bitcoins (almost same as bitcoins) can be used for $ transfers.

Gentoo Linux can be used to to setup a office PC. Grin
waveaddict

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:56:20 PM

MO, Elliott Wave receives a terrible rap from the vast majority of people who discover it and subsequently bet the farm with one EW interpretation because they barely understanding it, lose everything, and inevitably demonize it.
Sounds like a slap for me as your disciple. So probably I should justify myself here.

No not at all. To the best of my knowledge you have been showing various alternatives with valid reasoning. I was merely referring to those who demonize EW because they have either lost money in it and/or failed to work with it enough to truly appreciate it...and there are a lot of people who do this.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 10:20:17 PM

Yeah a lot of people "truly appreciate" numerology too. (Or "investing" in Bitcoins for that matter Tongue)
waveaddict

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:27:43 PM

Yeah a lot of people "truly appreciate" numerology too. (Or "investing" in Bitcoins for that matter Tongue)

I'm guessing you're a hardened disbeliever, ElecticMucus. What characteristic about Elliott Wave is troubling you?

lucif (OP)

Clown prophet

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:32:01 PM

EW is just a map. Not really accurate with coordinates, but direction is okay. A lot of other instruments required to read it, including intelligence, ta, feeling, expirence.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 10:36:07 PM

I'm guessing you're a hardened disbeliever, ElecticMucus. What characteristic about Elliott Wave is troubling you?

No check for consistency is done. (Usually by the drawing lines on a chart approach)
But I hold about every other method in the same regard, that includes traditional indicators, candle sticks and whatnot. I would even say every approach which isn't fully automated isn't worth the effort.

Interpreting the chart as a continuous non-differentiable function is ok, but attribution of arbitrary constraints is not. (Like Fibonacci ratios which are literally Numerology)
Don't come with a "track record" unless you show me statistical proof I call BS.
waveaddict

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:59:54 PM

EW is just a map. Not really accurate with coordinates, but direction is okay. A lot of other instruments required to read it, including intelligence, ta, feeling, expirence.

That's a good analogy. I'd further it by describing it as a pre-satellite map that isn't exactly accurate with coordinates but understandable from landmarks/shape (landmarks/shape off course being EW rules and guidelines in this analogy). And, like you said, it takes experience, intelligence, feeling etc to navigate without roads, especially without GPS.

The best analogy is easily the weather one though. Meteorologists are definitely the EW practitioners of the science world, and better yet, we both love predicting further out than we probably should.

waveaddict

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 11:47:19 PM

No check for consistency is done. (Usually by the drawing lines on a chart approach)
But I hold about every other method in the same regard, that includes traditional indicators, candle sticks and whatnot. I would even say every approach which isn't fully automated isn't worth the effort.

Interpreting the chart as a continuous non-differentiable function is ok, but attribution of arbitrary constraints is not. (Like Fibonacci ratios which are literally Numerology)
Don't come with a "track record" unless you show me statistical proof I call BS.

You have to realize that Elliott Wave wouldn't work if it was an exact reproducible science. It can only have a small niche in TA/investing to function properly. The basic premise of the whole theory is predicting irrational and emotional herd behavior. If, instead, the entire investment community all traded rationally based on an EW formula with a set path, then everyone would front-run the next person resulting in a non-patterned and unpredictable structure.

But, the fact that it's not a precise theory which follows the basic scientific method will ensure its survival and practical use because it will stay a pseudoscience that few believe and therefore follow.

Also, you'd be surprised at how practical Fibonacci ratios are in the trading world. Basically, every successful day-trader trades on these ratios, even if he doesn't use Elliott Wave. 

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 01:03:37 AM

Price is certainly not continuous.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 01:27:15 AM

Here is a daily chart using fibo. There are many occurrences of near perfect fibo retraces. If you zoom in (hourly), there are hundreds. If you zoom in further (15min), there are literally thousands.

Fibo is also not a holy grail tool. It gives you an idea of where the price may end up to place orders. It's still better than blindly guessing on a target.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 02:35:48 PM

Price is certainly not continuous.

But the function you can describe it with can be. The concrete description becomes non-continuous once you calculate it. An EW is continuous on it's own for example.

@RyNinDaCleM Bullshit. I told I'll do it.
Pages: « 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 »
  Print  

Jump to: