Bitcoin Forum
July 12, 2024, 10:26:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 22 Kids Stabbed At School In China  (Read 15549 times)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 10:46:54 AM

Even if you could prove anything you claim, the criminals' utopias achieved outside of the U.S. (and even some in the U.S.) by "gun control" (making sure only criminals, and many minutes-away cops have the most effective tool for self-defense) cannot be justified by having allegedly lower murder rates (especially if government criminals redefine justifiable homicide in defense of innocents as "murder", and summary execution as "suicide").

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 10:56:11 AM

In 2010, Automobile accidents claimed 32,885 lives. Is being able to travel at 70 miles per hour worth 32,000 lives per year?

That is a good question. Automobiles impose costs on society and therefore should be taxed at a punitive rate to discourage excessive use. Here in Singapore the costs of purchasing a Honda Civic are in the neighborhood of USD$150,000. Part of this is tax. All cars are taxed at 200%. There is also purchase of entitlement to own an automobile (~$30,000).  There is also purchase of the entitlement to drive which is about $20,000 per year if you want to be able to drive during peak hours (much cheaper for an off peak license).

These are excellent moves. Cars cause external harm and therefore call for punitive taxation.

Guns should also be heavily taxed (e.g. there is one paper which suggests that $600/gun is an appropriate tax rate).

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 03:15:39 PM

I'll just leave this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 09:04:28 PM

I see no similarity to the US' f**ked-up attitude. Grin

Yes, attitude is the key word here, not deadly inanimate objects.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 03:24:45 AM

Indeed. It's attitude which creates policies which allow an unhealthy and unnecessary quantity of guns in the US.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 04:40:01 AM

Indeed. It's attitude which creates policies which allow an unhealthy and unnecessary quantity of guns in the US.

And knives.
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 04:42:22 AM

And knives.

You don't want restaurants to have knives for meal preparation? What about in your kitchen?
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 06:58:01 AM

And knives.

You don't want restaurants to have knives for meal preparation? What about in your kitchen?

Chopsticks.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 07:16:18 AM

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?353040-Is-it-possible-to-kill-effectively-with-chopsticks&s=5b3f5787d9a045e4528ffefb3877308d

My brother owns stainless steel ones, too. Wood, metal, plastic and composites, even flesh are all effective weapons. Let's just watch as government sociopaths hack off everyone's limbs before the inevitable genocide.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 04:48:30 PM

And knives.

I believe he's referring to the long pointy knives which are solely intended for stabbing and have no place in the kitchen. As far as I know, the UK is the only place that is addressing this problem. We could prevent a lot more deaths and far more injuries by outlawing these vicious instruments.
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 05:17:24 PM

And knives.

I believe he's referring to the long pointy knives which are solely intended for stabbing and have no place in the kitchen. As far as I know, the UK is the only place that is addressing this problem. We could prevent a lot more deaths and far more injuries by outlawing these vicious instruments.

So you're in favor of such measures? That's great. And that certainly does not preclude gun control, but complements it. Glad you're on board.
bitster

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 05:36:32 PM

How about its no ones business what type of knifes a person owns. The owner need not explain to anyone why he owns it and the answer "because i like it" should suffice!
FirstAscent

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 05:38:28 PM

How about its no ones business what type of knifes a person owns. The owner need not explain to anyone why he owns it and the answer "because i like it" should suffice!

Let's at least focus on gun control then, since we have proven models of effectiveness in many other countries.
blablahblah

Activity: 775

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 08:40:00 PM

At a rough estimate, the US would have to reduce its domestic gun ownership by about 25 times* to bring it down to Switzerland's levels.

*Already corrected for population size.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 02:49:50 AM

After we're done with knives, don't forget sticks. In Kendo, we use long bamboo sticks to represent swords during sparring matches, and without the heavy steel and fiberglass padded armor that we have to wear, those sticks can very easily break bones and cave in heads.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 02:58:49 AM

In 2010, Automobile accidents claimed 32,885 lives. Is being able to travel at 70 miles per hour worth 32,000 lives per year?

That is a good question. Automobiles impose costs on society and therefore should be taxed at a punitive rate to discourage excessive use. Here in Singapore the costs of purchasing a Honda Civic are in the neighborhood of USD$150,000. Part of this is tax. All cars are taxed at 200%. There is also purchase of entitlement to own an automobile (~$30,000).  There is also purchase of the entitlement to drive which is about $20,000 per year if you want to be able to drive during peak hours (much cheaper for an off peak license).

These are excellent moves. Cars cause external harm and therefore call for punitive taxation.

Guns should also be heavily taxed (e.g. there is one paper which suggests that $600/gun is an appropriate tax rate).

The problem with this is only the rich can afford to defend themselves. people living in low income areas would not only be the most numerous demographic, but also the most likely to need a firearm for self defense. If you need to get somewhere and don't own a car, you can carpool, get on a bus, or call a taxi. If you are being attacked and you don't have a gun you are a victim, and if the police show up it most of the time it will only be to fill out paperwork if you are lucky enough to be alive.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 02:59:57 AM

Most people are lemmings hence so few of them lead meaningful lives or achieve anything.

Feel free to post some charts and graphs that correlate meaningful life to gun ownership. For that matter, feel free to post some charts and graphs that correlate life expectancy with gun ownership.

Argument destroyed? CHANGE THE SUBJECT!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: