Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:57:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking  (Read 5256 times)
xmax (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 03:41:07 AM

I keep seeing all these posts that someone can hack my wallet.  First I did not think that this could be done?  If it can be done, how can I prevent it from happening?  Does my wallet need to be online in order for them to be able to hack it or can they still hack a paper wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AllInCrypto

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 06:22:01 AM

I keep seeing all these posts that someone can hack my wallet.  First I did not think that this could be done?  If it can be done, how can I prevent it from happening?  Does my wallet need to be online in order for them to be able to hack it or can they still hack a paper wallet?

Your wallet on your pc or in an exchange is only as safe as your pc  or that exchange.    Your pc could easily be compromised by any keylogger or trojan.   And as far as exchange wallets go, well, Mt. Gox is really all that needs to be said about that.     Paper wallets are safest, however not perfect because they need to be generated usually by your PC.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2016, 09:00:41 AM

It is possible that someone can just guess or brute force your private key. The chance however is so small you might as well call it impossible. Its as likely as someone winning the lottery several times in a row and will for all we know never happen as long as the sun is still burning.

Other than that it mostly depends on the way you use your machine. As AllInCrypto said if the machine that you use to control your wallet is infected by malware, its easy for the attacker to spend your coins. Its however not "easy" to infect a modern, well updated system, unless you do something to help the malware. Commonly bitcoin related malware will require you to execute it yourself, so be careful what you download and use.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
b-trading

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 09:33:42 AM

for about 4 years since i know about bitcoin i never have my own wallet running on my pc i usually using bitcoin wallet address from an exchange or an online wallet like coinbase, after i read much information from here in this forum i have consider to install bitcoin wallet on my pc and running it as my own private wallet and i also using paper wallet that i use it for saving in bitcoin and will never redeem it untill 5 years from now, and my opinion is that wallet on our pc and paper wallet is the safest place to store our bitcoin on there rather than any other kind of wallet
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 11:24:44 AM

Those hacking method are mostly brute force. You usually encrypt your wallet with a password. If your password is short (less than 8 characters ) it could be cracked by brute force methods. It needs a while, and the hacker needs a computer with lot of power, but it is possible. Especially, if the hackers knows the length and some chars of the password.
To get sure, choose a password of at least 12 characters including letters, numbers and special characters.
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2016, 12:35:40 PM

Bottom line is if you have a lot of bitcoin that you dont need instant access to then stick it on a paper wallet, if you need to use that bitcoin a lot then considor a hardware wallet, if its just a small amount then just store it on your phone or pc but be carefull with what you download. As far as i know most people arent targeted for specific bitcoin stealing programs unless the attacker knows that you use bitcoin but if you were infected by a trojan then someone would soon find you are using bitcoin.

zodiac3011

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 01:49:53 PM

well... with keylogger they can turn your life to very miserable I have to say because everything you do will be recorded, typing password to unlock wallet, generating wallet paper. The only way to prevent it is scanning your pc often and do not download potential virus software. By doing, you can be considered safe I think
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 02:46:26 PM

The is way you should use a second PC in order to do your crypto stuff. This computer should never go to the internet. So, you can make sure that are save from keylogger, viruses and other hacking software.

well... with keylogger they can turn your life to very miserable I have to say because everything you do will be recorded, typing password to unlock wallet, generating wallet paper. The only way to prevent it is scanning your pc often and do not download potential virus software. By doing, you can be considered safe I think
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 03:10:23 PM

It is next to impossible that someone cracks your bitcoin wallet through brute forcing your private key. The number of keys is so astronomically big, that you are better of buying a lottery ticket.

Hacking is a whole different thing, and mostly relies on stupidity of the users. If you install dubious software or give away sensitive information, you may get hacked.
zodiac3011

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 03:25:03 PM

The is way you should use a second PC in order to do your crypto stuff. This computer should never go to the internet. So, you can make sure that are save from keylogger, viruses and other hacking software.

so it works like a cold storage right? I think we just need a virtual machine or maybe dual boot with an clean OS (nothing got installed at all) and everything will be alright but extra precautions are advised so you might want to use a second PC like tyz said Grin
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 03:34:01 PM

it's not hack, it's stealing let don't get confused here

bitcoin can not be directly hacked in the sense that the hacker can not steal you funds by brute forcing your public key

but he can steal those if you have an infected machine with a rootkit or whatever
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 08:13:11 PM

If it is coins you need access to and are actively using I suggest hardware wallet.  They keep the private key off of computer and sign the transaction on the device.  So it is very secure.  If used properly even if infected you are still safe with a good hardware wallet.

Other option is if you are not going to touch them at all look into paper wallet.  You can monitor the address online and send it, just keep private key on paper only.   Again it is if done properly, if not your insecure.

Those are best two options I think.
FruitsBasket
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1017

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 08:16:48 PM

The most used way by hackers is that they install a keylogger on your computer through software that you have downloaded somewhere. If you login to your wallet, all the keys u clicked will be sent to them, also your password and wallet information. So they login and steal your coins, as easy as that.
Another way would be brute force, to prevent this from happening, you need a strong password with much charachters and special numbers/symbols and uppercase and lowercase. To prevent keylogging, do not download anything fishy or from a non reliable source!

fck@dt-alwayzz_newbz
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 08:33:01 AM

If you have an easy to guess private key, then anybody can hack it from anywhere.

If you have a virused online PC where you keep your wallet, or you have an online web wallet then its also vulnerable.

Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 05:08:32 AM

Always Remember, as long as you have 2FA enabled there will be few little chances of your account being hacked.
BTCBinary

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 05:10:31 AM

Yes your wallet can and will be hacked if you do not take the needed measures. If you are using a web wallet be sure to activate you 2FA security option and always be sure to have a very very strong password for your accounts. if you have a Desktop wallet be careful, don't hold many bitcoin in there.

As for a paper wallet if you follow all the right procedure it is nearly impossible to hack
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 05:16:48 AM

The most used way by hackers is that they install a keylogger on your computer through software that you have downloaded somewhere. If you login to your wallet, all the keys u clicked will be sent to them, also your password and wallet information. So they login and steal your coins, as easy as that.
Another way would be brute force, to prevent this from happening, you need a strong password with much charachters and special numbers/symbols and uppercase and lowercase. To prevent keylogging, do not download anything fishy or from a non reliable source!

Don't forget that Microsoft has installed a keylogger in Windows 10.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
PartsSlinger

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 05:31:52 AM

Wow I'm glad I didn't install 10. Is there at least an option to turn it off?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 08:11:36 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2016, 03:45:24 PM by Amph

Wow I'm glad I didn't install 10. Is there at least an option to turn it off?

yes there are some guide, on how to turn off cortina and everything in the privacy windows

but i doubt win 10 will ever steal your private key, it's as good as the best fud out there about the value of bitcoin...
adibe

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 09:46:44 AM

I think it's not about hack, but it must be their relative that hack his/her wallet. i think it's hard to hack someone wallet on online wallet. for prevent this maybe you should make your password hard and only you that know your password.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: