Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:42:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking  (Read 5256 times)
Aamir1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 03:59:18 PM

Well i don't think it's that much easy to hack someone's wallet, but if it happens then not usually, maybe once in a blue moon you know what i mean.
I never heard someone saying to me that his/her wallet has been hacked, and that proves that it only happens to some people unfortunately.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:32:44 PM

The important difference is that bitcoin is not hacked (I assume you mean cracked).
There will always be creative deviants who figure out a way to get to some wallets. They may trick you into revealing your private keys or place a keylogger that watches and waits for you to enter a password. Or someone could beat you with a hose until you tell them the password.  Undecided

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:41:42 PM

I keep seeing all these posts that someone can hack my wallet.  First I did not think that this could be done?  If it can be done, how can I prevent it from happening?  Does my wallet need to be online in order for them to be able to hack it or can they still hack a paper wallet?

No one can hack a paper wallet, but if you keep your bitcoin at a webite that holds the private keys then yes you could lose the bitcoin.  the bitcoin is not yours unless you hold the private keys......  Smiley
KenR

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 05:31:09 PM

Its recommended not to use online wallets like blockchain.info because the website has been DDos's by hackers multiple times.You could never know if your funds are totally safe there.Its very tough for the hacker or say impossible to hack a cold storage.If you use bitcoin core or electrum,secure your funds ,keep the private key safe,maybe paper wallet.There are no chances of hacker getting any access to them.Plus you store the keys away from your computer.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2016, 06:38:40 PM

Can you get malwares and keylogers if you downloading movies via torrents?

Sure, maybe not in a video file, but there might be an executable involved.

Will antivirus react on it?

Maybe.

Someone have experience with this?

No, I havent pirated something in years. It was however common that pirated material had viruses with the files, esp. for programms or games and cracks or key generators for those. Most viruses are made for Windows, but this is changing as Linux and Mac are more and more common.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 06:57:51 PM

I keep seeing all these posts that someone can hack my wallet.  First I did not think that this could be done?  If it can be done, how can I prevent it from happening?  Does my wallet need to be online in order for them to be able to hack it or can they still hack a paper wallet?

No one can hack a paper wallet, but if you keep your bitcoin at a webite that holds the private keys then yes you could lose the bitcoin.  the bitcoin is not yours unless you hold the private keys......  Smiley

The only problem is it has to be done right.  Say you use a newer printer and it's compromised.... you could lose it through there.  Rare yes but not impossible.  The dumber the printer the better, also if you print a wallet might look into how to clear cache on your printer.

Also storage of that paper wallet is key.  Best is stored on a piece of paper in a place such as a bank safty deposit box.  Don't upload it to the clouds or anything or you defeat the entire purpose of it.

If your actively going to be using it look into hardware wallets keeping the signing of transactions on them where eve if computer is compromised your coins should be safe.
rik2

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 08:43:52 PM

i think mycelium wallet in android is much safer , secure and untracable than the desktop wallets
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 03:20:06 PM

Always Remember, as long as you have 2FA enabled there will be few little chances of your account being hacked.

I am not that much in BTC , but I am in technology , I am using other sites with 2FA, you can get burned if you try to setup 2FA in an infected machine. The hacker can see that one time key needed for manual entry to disable your 2FA, so I insist that you do the setup of your 2FA in a PC you are 1000% sure it is not infected with anything.
Paracelsus

Activity: 347
Merit: 250

Activity: 2017

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 06:34:02 PM

What is best combination antivirus+spybot?
What else to use?
Windows 7.
john2231

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 07:30:37 AM

For to prevent to hack your wallet i think you need a two factor authentication or sms verification for every login to make sure that you are the only can open your wallet.. or you may try also cold storage of electrum and make sure you save your seed and password and some important thing like default_wallet.dat save anywhere in your computer that you think its safe..
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:02:19 AM

Even SMS verification won't help when the hacker have the private key of yours. He can open that wallet in any PC without any verification at all.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:03:11 AM

The only problem is it has to be done right.  Say you use a newer printer and it's compromised.... you could lose it through there.  Rare yes but not impossible.  The dumber the printer the better, also if you print a wallet might look into how to clear cache on your printer.

Power it off?

I dont know about you guys but I have a normal printer that prints only. Not with wireless crap and other stuff that has attack vector.

I just power off the printer, and the cache clears, because it doesnt have memory card and things like that.

Also storage of that paper wallet is key.  Best is stored on a piece of paper in a place such as a bank safty deposit box.  Don't upload it to the clouds or anything or you defeat the entire purpose of it.

Wow storing it in a bank, how logical is that.

We all use bitcoin because we dont want to use banks, but theN you say just put the access to the bitcoin wallet into the bank. That makes sense....

Nudies Fluffer

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:10:57 AM

Any computer system online could potentially have exploitable weaknesses that could be used to gain access to one BTC and private keys.
Common sense and a decent understanding of how BTC works is a must when dealing with the storage of coins.

All sorts of ways a would be hacker could gain access to a persons Bitcoin, The trick to avoiding this is to be cautious of downloads and keep all private keys backed up in multiple places offline and have them secured by password.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 10:41:42 AM

Power it off?

I dont know about you guys but I have a normal printer that prints only. Not with wireless crap and other stuff that has attack vector.

I just power off the printer, and the cache clears, because it doesnt have memory card and things like that.
-snip-

This is mainly for commercially used printers. In which case a power off would not help either, because they use a harddisk for long term storage. AFAIK this is not common on end user printers.

RealBitcoin

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 01:55:57 PM

Power it off?

-snip-

This is mainly for commercially used printers. In which case a power off would not help either, because they use a harddisk for long term storage. AFAIK this is not common on end user printers.

I see, well, dont print out sensitive info with 3rd party printers ever.

There are many shops that offer printing services, but one has to be a fool to print out sentitive data with them.

Only use your own printer (not even your neighbors) to print out sensitive data.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 05:39:44 PM

-snip-

There are many shops that offer printing services, but one has to be a fool to print out sentitive data with them.

Only use your own printer (not even your neighbors) to print out sensitive data.

I agree, but I think thats where the fear printers might store the data comes from. If someone uses a printer at home and think it might still have sensetive data on it, they could just destroy the printer once its lifetime ended. I also doubt home use printers will have hard disks as they have next to no need to store a large amount of data and it would only increase the price per device.

romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1213

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 08:25:11 PM

These days it very difficult to hack and spend bitcoins in this technology.
Accounts gets hacked only if online wallets are preferred. Now most has
a offline wallet like electrum. So the risk of hacking is found to be very
less. Even it has got various authentication features in online wallets
too which won't be that easy for hackers to enter.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
arbitrage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:39:14 PM

And one day you just enter again your username and pass on web and soon
you realise you can't connect anymore to your account..One small mistake and you won't notice.
Phishing is worst of all i think!
Cyaren

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:41:38 PM

Anything could be hacked, not just bitcoin wallets. Bitcoin wallets are obviously harder to crack than normal passwords since the length is much longer +  the characters are completely random.

If your wallet is online then it'll stand a much higher chance of being hacked, however even offline wallets can be cracked using brute force methods...
RealBitcoin

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 04:00:38 PM

-snip-

I agree, but I think thats where the fear printers might store the data comes from. If someone uses a printer at home and think it might still have sensetive data on it, they could just destroy the printer once its lifetime ended. I also doubt home use printers will have hard disks as they have next to no need to store a large amount of data and it would only increase the price per device.

You can always check the vendor's site and see what specs the printer have, my printer only has a cache that clears every poweroff (worse case scenario after 2 printings).

So if 1 print out a password, I can then print out a photo aftewards and the cache is overwritten.

I`m not sure why any other printer has hard disks, it has no sense, you can just store the config of the printer on your OS with the printing software that you got with the printer. No need to put separate harddisk in the printer itself.

Its very insecure architecture then,

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: