Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:43:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the standard display of value in the bitcoin client be shifted 6 decimal places to the right?  (one bitcoin now would become 1,000,000 bitcoin in the client after changeover)  (Voting closed: June 14, 2011, 08:14:12 PM)
Yes!  I wanna be a Bitcoin Millionare! - 109 (67.7%)
No!  I prefer counting zeros! - 39 (24.2%)
Wait, what? - 13 (8.1%)
Total Voters: 158

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shift the decimal point over?  (Read 16559 times)
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:14:12 PM

Informal poll.  Do you think it's time for the Bitcoin community to change the view of the bitcoin balance in the standard client?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Findeton

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:17:54 PM

Absolutely. But you should make it clear that those are microbitcoins (UBT). This is a essential step in order to normalize small tradings in the midterm.

Bitcoin Weekly, bitcoin analysis and commentary

14DD7MhRXuw3KDuyUuXvAsRcK4KXTT36XA
cc5alive

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 08:18:11 PM

No. That time will never come.  It makes no sense whatsoever and will never happen.

Now accepting Bitcoin for the children's book "How to Keep Your Helicopter"
http://altanimus.com/product/how-to-keep-your-helicopter
cc5alive

Activity: 93

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 08:19:33 PM

No. That time will never come.  It makes no sense whatsoever and will never happen.

OK, that's actually a reasonable point.  Changes the actual value of the currency would make no sense, but just changing the denominations that we handle would work.

Now accepting Bitcoin for the children's book "How to Keep Your Helicopter"
http://altanimus.com/product/how-to-keep-your-helicopter
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:20:41 PM

OK, that's actually a reasonable point. 

Do you agree with yourself often?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:21:43 PM

6 no, but 3 would be nice IMHO
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 08:27:29 PM

Copying my post from this thread: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8282.140.

I think that instead of coming up with names for 0.001 and 0.000001 bitcoins we should seriously consider changing the value of 1 bitcoin. I propose that what now is 0.000001 bitcoins becomes the new bitcoin. If we want bitcoin to be widely used we have start thinking about how to make things simple for Average Joe. So, a couple of reasons why this would be better:

• Bitcoin sounds like a small amount.
  • While milli- and micro- is very simple to understand for a scientific community, "a thousand" and "a million" is understood more intuitively by Average Joe. So instead of having "a microbitcoin", "a millibitcoin" and "a bitcoin" in everyday use it would be better to have "a bitcoin", "a thousand bitcoins" and "a million bitcoins".
  • No currency that I have used have smaller amounts than 0.01 main units. Using the new definition of a bitcoin the smallest possible amount would be just that, 0.01 bitcoins.

I don't think that it's too late to make a change like this.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 08:31:49 PM

The reason for doing 6 right away is that we don't want to have to do it again later.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:34:43 PM

If you do it now, people may think Mugabe overtook the network
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:37:24 PM

We need to explain this, and set a date for the shift.  Otherwise this is going to have to happen later, when the average bitcoin user is much less informed than the average user of this forum.  The results, I believe, could be mass confusion.  It could cause mass confusion anyway.

MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:39:06 PM

I suggested 3 back in November, nobody listened.  Now we have a condition wherein we are already pricing things in fractions of a coin.  If we only move 3 over, we will have to do it again in another 6 months.

mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:41:05 PM

We need to explain this, and set a date for the shift.  Otherwise this is going to have to happen later, when the average bitcoin user is much less informed than the average user of this forum.  The results, I believe, could be mass confusion.  It could cause mass confusion anyway.

Yes, I agree. I think if we ever do it, it should probably coincide with halving the reward so people have time to prepare and adjust their thinking. Just like with summer/winter times
Alternatively, we could just leave it as it is and use mBTC uBTC
shady financier

Activity: 84

etcetera

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:42:54 PM

I think it's time we had an option in the client about what denomination of bitcoin to display. The default as is, and then a clear and well-explained drop-list or something for lower denominations.

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:43:09 PM

maybe an option? I like the classic numbering scheme better.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Threshold

Activity: 88

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 08:43:41 PM

Personally, I think a solution might be to allow the app's user to zoom in or zoom out (showing bitcoins, millicoins, etc.).

This way each person may decide what is appropriate for their uses.

(It also saves us from having this conversation when the bitcoin values double or the bubble bursts -- whatever comes first!)

Earn free bitcoins at:  http://www.freebitcoins.org/4296
lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:45:29 PM

yes, most of us find reading numbers like

1000 easier than .0001

I predict that this is one thing that must happen before bitcoins gain wider adoption, but being as the price of BTC is still so volatile (for all we know it could settle at $1=1BTC it is hard to know how many decimal places.

One thing that might help is including a currency converter within the client so even if people see that their btc balance has changed, its value has not. In the long term, people might need to get out of the habit of converting in and out of their home currency, but that is far far into the future of btc evolution

Digigami

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:48:31 PM

I think a change like this is inevitable. That said, it's also better done quickly because no matter how much information and warning goes out before it, there will be confusion.

Do it now, and it will affect fewer users. Not sure what this change would do the rate of new people adopting bitcoins.

My biggest concern is if all current sites and services that handle bitcoins are prepared for a change like that yet.. What happens if a site operator hasn't been paying much attention, and misses the change. Would people's coins be in any danger?
MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:48:32 PM

i don't have an issue with a client that presents the balance however the user wants, but I'm talking about changing the default state, and thereby changing the standard way we discuss value.  Otherwise, there will be the need to explain our personal frames of references with every transaction, or risk a misunderstanding undermining our businesses.

MoonShadow (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:52:11 PM

I think a change like this is inevitable. That said, it's also better done quickly because no matter how much information and warning goes out before it, there will be confusion.

Do it now, and it will affect fewer users. Not sure what this change would do the rate of new people adopting bitcoins.

My biggest concern is if all current sites and services that handle bitcoins are prepared for a change like that yet.. What happens if a site operator hasn't been paying much attention, and misses the change. Would people's coins be in any danger?

No, no danger there.  The value of the bitcoins won't change, just the display of them.  If the users of said site transfer their coins out from that site, their new client would display the new number.  In truth, bitcoins are just a 64 bit integer anyway, and the decimial point was put into the middle of that 16 decimal place (in base ten) integer as an arbitrary decision by Satoshi.  We have all known that it would have to move eventually, we just didn't really expect that day would come so quickly.

defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:53:46 PM

Otherwise, there will be the need to explain our personal frames of references with every transaction, or risk a misunderstanding undermining our businesses.

We do this every day. Five bucks, 2 K's, a million etc.

(Ok, so I don't do transactions of a million dollars every day, but .. )

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: