Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 09:19:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgin Coins  (Read 15403 times)
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 12:46:06 AM

I was lucky enough to receive the first bitcoin transaction, and then I was careless enough to spend it accidentally.

That is both awesome and heartbreaking all at the same time.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 01:02:55 AM

I'll still take 1 for novelty....let me know your BTC address and how much you want.

You can have bitcoins generated directly to your address by mining at a pool that does it's payouts like that. P2Pool and Eligius might be the only ones, here's an example of an Eligius payout. But that's still not the same as having the whole block reward generated to you.. or is it? I don't really know what's the value-adding thing here.

The value add is in finding the morons willing to pay over the odds for a bitcoin block and as I expected the usual suspects are in with how great this can be hold onto your wallet their at it again...

SAC,

Please refrain from personal attacks on these forums. If you want people to give you respect, you should respect other people.

Some peoples garbage are other peoples treasures.

For those of working on the front lines of Bitcoin, sometimes these small novelties and memento's of Bitcoin excite us. We have the right to enjoy what we work so hard on every single day.

If you can't see the value in a free market economy, and true value by someones own accord, there is a bigger problem here.

-Charlie

Whatever free market manipulating more like it but you people are used to that anyways. So in short if your fine with these scammers pulling another one give it your full support.

Oh? Another personal attack? No wonder people don't take you seriously!

Dude, its simple:

1. Seller lists something
2. Buyer wants it
3. Buyer pays for it, everyone is happy.

If there is no buyer, there is no sale

...but you people are used to that anyways. So in short if your fine with these scammers pulling another one give it your full support.

If your gonna make a dumb comment like that, at least back it up with sources and proof.

'you people' - who is you people?
'used to that anyways' - used to what?
'scammers' - what scammers? Who is scamming you?

- Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 01:15:18 AM
Last edit: December 23, 2012, 03:16:01 AM by BkkCoins

What kind of bitcoins goes on those 'Casascius coins'.  The ones you use to purchase them or something else because it'd be good if you could get whole virgin BTC25.00 blocks on them  Tongue

Usually it's just the one used to purchase them, but I would be happy to make 25 BTC coins out of virgin coins if there were buyers willing to pay extra to make the effort worthwhile.  Part of the problem is that everyone agrees they'd be neat but wouldn't pay much more than a couple percent premium to get one.  I'm open to be proven wrong, but am somewhat resigned to the idea that bothering would barely be worth the effort.

If someone wants to arrange it themselves, I'd be very open to it... in other words, you buy the coin and then instead of saying "OK it arrived please fund it", you'd say "OK it arrived and I funded it myself so you don't have to, so now please refund me my original 25 BTC at address X".  I already do deals very similar to this from time to time when buyers want to fund them with bitcoins from a specific origin.
Or if you can reach an agreement with a miner/pool that they trust you, then why not sell the coin, and when the block is confirmed mined onto the coin's address you send the 25btc to the miner instead of putting it on the coin. In essence you act as escow between the miner and bidder, and perhaps automate it, and take a small fee to make it worthwhile.

I could see Virgin Casascius coins as quite interesting because they bring a physicality to the idea of a pure block. I could see down the road people being interested in such a coin being more collectible than others. The difficult part is how such an item could be traded if the private key is not trusted to be destroyed. I come back to the same as your other coins - perhaps the trust of Casascius destroying the key is better than the trust of the first buyer doing so?

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 01:27:45 AM

Indeed as old PT said there is one born every minute and all these collector fools are just a shinning example of it.

Oh, who's got too much angst and an internet connection  Roll Eyes  People have always collected things and when those things are rare things the collection can become valuable.  Certain gold coins coins are worth >x10 the magnitude of 'spot' price.

Sure they are that gold in there has them super special atoms never to be found again ...
You sound like a real bore; hung up with a super dull idea of value. I say "Thanks" to all the imaginative and visionary people in Bitcoin, technology companies, artists, art dealers and just about anyone who isn't quite so dull - for making this world a more interesting place to live. What I can't understand is why you bother wasting your super-valuable time being so critical of people.

SAC

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 03:12:23 AM

Indeed as old PT said there is one born every minute and all these collector fools are just a shinning example of it.

Oh, who's got too much angst and an internet connection  Roll Eyes  People have always collected things and when those things are rare things the collection can become valuable.  Certain gold coins coins are worth >x10 the magnitude of 'spot' price.

Sure they are that gold in there has them super special atoms never to be found again ...
You sound like a real bore; hung up with a super dull idea of value. I say "Thanks" to all the imaginative and visionary people in Bitcoin, technology companies, artists, art dealers and just about anyone who isn't quite so dull - for making this world a more interesting place to live. What I can't understand is why you bother wasting your super-valuable time being so critical of people.

Most certainly I believe in value for your money spent not this pie in the sky BS most around here seem to think of as normal, it does not turn my crank at all. And I hate fucking scammers with a passion and that is all this is just one more opportunity for them to ply their trade. In case any of you have not noticed it is pretty much always the same group of people who show up in these threads designed to separate people from their btc short a few members now that pirate, nefario, patrick among others are gone but still out in force when they come up with new one.
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 04:07:19 AM

And I hate fucking scammers with a passion and that is all this is just one more opportunity for them to ply their trade.
Scam? What scam?
Anyone looking at buying a virgin block knows what they're getting and that it may never be worth more than 25 btc. It would only be a scam if they didn't get what they paid for or were sold a private key that was later emptied on them.

In case any of you have not noticed it is pretty much always the same group of people who show up in these threads designed to separate people from their btc short a few members now that pirate, nefario, patrick among others are gone but still out in force when they come up with new one.
That's way out in left field. As far as I see the people posting in this thread have been mostly ongoing trustworthy community members. Casascius, Yankee, gigavps, Hal - I've never heard of any of them pulling any scam. I guess you mean offering something that you don't think is worthwhile?

siggy

Activity: 381

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 03:23:35 PM

What kind of bitcoins goes on those 'Casascius coins'.  The ones you use to purchase them or something else because it'd be good if you could get whole virgin BTC25.00 blocks on them  Tongue

That is definitely an interesting idea. Although, it would probably be over 25 coins with the transaction fees in there.

Being kinda anal... I'd want my "25-coin" to be exactly 25.000... bitcoins.   Is it possible for a miner to split the 25 bounty into one address and put the fees into a different address?

Sigg
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 03:29:38 PM

Being kinda anal... I'd want my "25-coin" to be exactly 25.000... bitcoins.   Is it possible for a miner to split the 25 bounty into one address and put the fees into a different address?

Sigg

I believe with the pool setup correctly, this could be done. I'm pretty sure it can be setup to fill an address to an exact amount or over a specific amount.

I'll make sure to add this to the feature list.
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 10:38:48 PM

I was lucky enough to receive the first bitcoin transaction, and then I was careless enough to spend it accidentally. I probably still have the key sitting on a switched-off computer, so I could auction off the key. Usual caveats about making sure I delete it when I sell it...
This will be very interesting.

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 08:09:19 PM

Giga, neat idea. To me, your proposal sounds like GPUMax though. Am I missing something?
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 08:21:03 PM

Giga, neat idea. To me, your proposal sounds like GPUMax though. Am I missing something?

I guess you could consider that GPUMax was doing something similar but they used other's hashing power to back the service. You would only get "virgin" coins if you directed your hashing power to a pool that allowed coins generated directly into your wallet.

So just pointing hashing power to say ozco.in, would get you nearly virgin coins, but there would still be transactions leading from the generation.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 07:42:50 PM

What about a mining pool strictly designed solely to mine virgin coins, whereupon all those contributing to the pool receive a 10%(?) premium?

~Bruno K~
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

What about a mining pool strictly designed solely to mine virgin coins, whereupon all those contributing to the pool receive a 10%(?) premium?

~Bruno K~

If this idea proves out, that might be an idea. I wish there was more time in the day.....
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 07:56:39 PM

~Bruno K~

If this idea proves out, that might be an idea. I wish there was more time in the day.....

Im down to throw my new ASIC's toward that pool if such existed....

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 05:09:23 PM

It's funny to see everyone in this thread basically reinventing Eligius and P2Pool.
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 05:32:28 PM

It's funny to see everyone in this thread basically reinventing Eligius and P2Pool.

IMO, there are many more people who do not mine than do. So virgin coins are accessible to only a small portion of the bitcoin user base.

My idea is to simply give non miners a chance to also own coin without a transaction history.

My original questions still stand, the implementation of such a service is not as important.
SAC

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 05:54:47 PM

My idea is to simply give non miners a chance to also own coin without a transaction history.

Sure encourage parasite blocks that are of no benefit to the BTC network get enough of them no transactions get done, hardly surprising you would come up with this idea though based on your "business" dealings of the past fits you to a tee.
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:01:45 PM

Sure encourage parasite blocks that are of no benefit to the BTC network get enough of them no transactions get done, hardly surprising you would come up with this idea though based on your "business" dealings of the past fits you to a tee.

You usually make sense but what exactly are "parasite blocks"? How is mining and finding blocks of no benefit to the BTC network?

SAC, did you take your medications today?
jcpham

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

Your Argument is Irrelephant

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:05:41 PM

I still like the idea of "solo pool" where the highest hasher wins everything and everyone else gets nothing.
SAC

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 06:13:39 PM

You usually make sense but what exactly are "parasite blocks"? How is mining and finding blocks of no benefit to the BTC network?

SAC, did you take your medications today?

A block with no transactions it only takes and gives nothing back to the host (the btc network if that did not filter into your brain) hence a parasite.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: