Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:20:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptsy Hacker identity incoming - pending bounty  (Read 7999 times)
Zedmony

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:20:08 PM

Do we know if the authorities are watching to see if he comes back to the US or do they even care about this issue?

At least his wife is very keen to find out if he is in the US. She had a complaint against him.

That's true, so maybe her lawyers can find him.  The problem with that is she want money in the divorce and all the cryptsy customers want their money back too, so their won't be much to go around.

Would his wife know his criminal activity before they split? If so, would she be liable for his action as well?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:09:57 PM

Do we know if the authorities are watching to see if he comes back to the US or do they even care about this issue?

At least his wife is very keen to find out if he is in the US. She had a complaint against him.

That's true, so maybe her lawyers can find him.  The problem with that is she want money in the divorce and all the cryptsy customers want their money back too, so their won't be much to go around.

Would his wife know his criminal activity before they split? If so, would she be liable for his action as well?

I don't know.  Also, the business money could be separate from the personal money but I don't know how that works.
SparkyU

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 08:21:13 PM

Let's face it. There will be no law suit.
Like always in crypto the hacker wins and get away with it.
None of the big scammers was caught and brought to justice.

It makes you wonder if you should stop trying to beat them and instead join them...
aardvark15

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 11:17:44 PM

There is actually a class action lawsuit but I don't think we will get much from it.  From what I have found out, we will by lucky to get pennies on the dollar.
mirana12345

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

PM me to buy traffic for your site!

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:19:35 AM

i have a pic of the hacker, can i get a % from bounty ?

I think most of us here can agree that there was no actual "hack" to begin with. It's the same with all the exchanges that went under in similar way.
As soon as the exchange starts showing signs of losing traffic, the "hackes" come, yeah right. I would put Vern with Karpeles in Russian gulag to serve
as an example to the rest of the exchange owners.
aardvark15

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 01:36:34 PM

You're probably right.  And we know for sure that BigVern hid the "theft" for 18 months so he was basically running a ponzi scheme from that point on.
adonai

Activity: 139
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:59:51 PM

Hi, friends.

I think we should to structure the information about current situation. I am personally have nearly 2 BTC on cryptsy in LTC and DASH. While I am not a US citizen and located far away (so I can't call feds,  find Vern there or sue with him), I have interest in cashback )

My proposiotion:
make a document with all users losses from Cryptsy scam, write detailed artical about situation, than promote that stuff via Internet (crypto-related sites should support us). After that someone in USA should go to police or FBI(i think better go to FBI because it's international crime) with all docs (about losses and acount nicknames on Cryptsy), prints of articles from the web and other stuff that we can get.

Who agrees?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:26:19 PM

They are also not letting customers get out US dollars.  I have some money there in US dollars that I tried to get out earlier this month but they would not send me the money.  They still won't let me withdraw it.

It seems to me that the owner could be in trouble for running a Ponzi scheme for the last year and a half.  That is illegal and he was using deposits to cover withdrawals for a long time and not disclosing the problems.  My deposits we being used to pay other customers.

He openly admitted "attempting to cover the losses from on-going profits" (or very similar)
I was very surprised when he posted that, since it seems to be a direct confession of a major felony.

aardvark15

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:31:51 PM

Hi, friends.

I think we should to structure the information about current situation. I am personally have nearly 2 BTC on cryptsy in LTC and DASH. While I am not a US citizen and located far away (so I can't call feds,  find Vern there or sue with him), I have interest in cashback )

My proposiotion:
make a document with all users losses from Cryptsy scam, write detailed artical about situation, than promote that stuff via Internet (crypto-related sites should support us). After that someone in USA should go to police or FBI(i think better go to FBI because it's international crime) with all docs (about losses and acount nicknames on Cryptsy), prints of articles from the web and other stuff that we can get.

Who agrees?

I lost money there too, but I don't know if I want may name out there publicly.  If we could use user ID's then I think people may go along with that idea.  However, I don't expect to get my money back.  I think it's hidden or long gone.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:50:16 PM

Why do people expect the feds to just know what's going on in every corner of the internet?

Because they built a huge mega multi million dollar facility to funnel every bit and byte through the US of A to do exactly that...

They got resources but not by far to control everybody. This is why there are plenty of criminals out in the open.
I did expect however they would find the hacker who stole so much money.

Many of the "plenty of criminals out in the open" are potential future assets to a corrupt government. The people they really seek to control include (among others) independent thinkers, pro-freedom "radicals", and idealistic believers in the possibilities of Bitcoin.

Intristing

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 08:08:58 PM

You're probably right.  And we know for sure that BigVern hid the "theft" for 18 months so he was basically running a ponzi scheme from that point on.

I think it is criminal act to run a Ponzi scheme. A guy called Madoff (?) was sentenced to be in prison due to this.
aardvark15

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 12:09:59 AM

I think it is criminal act to run a Ponzi scheme. A guy called Madoff (?) was sentenced to be in prison due to this.

That's right, Ponzi schemes are illegal.  I don't know why the justice system isn't going after him for running a Ponzi scheme.  There is a class action suit against him but he should be investigated for criminal activity even if money was stolen from the site.  He basically took money from people like me to pay out withdrawals to other people.
Phildo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 03:18:03 AM

That's right, Ponzi schemes are illegal.  I don't know why the justice system isn't going after him for running a Ponzi scheme.  There is a class action suit against him but he should be investigated for criminal activity even if money was stolen from the site.  He basically took money from people like me to pay out withdrawals to other people.

This is not a ponzi scheme.

A ponzi scheme is when the operator tells you they are investing the money for you, like with Pirate, GAW, etc. This is more like a failed bank that lost/took a bunch of the money and tried to keep going. It's also illegal, but at least ask the authorities to look in the right direction.

Prosecution or not, you are unlikely to get any money back because it's either really stolen or hidden by Vern. The warning signs were there, you should have gotten out when you could have. It would be nice if he gets sent to jail, but that probably won't get your money back. Learn waht warning signs you missed this time to prevent yourself from ending up like this again in the future.
aardvark15

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 10:13:48 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2016, 10:23:54 PM by aardvark15

You're probably right.  And we know for sure that BigVern hid the "theft" for 18 months so he was basically running a ponzi scheme from that point on.

That's right, Ponzi schemes are illegal.  I don't know why the justice system isn't going after him for running a Ponzi scheme.  There is a class action suit against him but he should be investigated for criminal activity even if money was stolen from the site.  He basically took money from people like me to pay out withdrawals to other people.

A ponzi scheme is when the operator tells you they are investing the money for you, like with Pirate, GAW, etc. This is more like a failed bank that lost/took a bunch of the money and tried to keep going. It's also illegal, but at least ask the authorities to look in the right direction.

Prosecution or not, you are unlikely to get any money back because it's either really stolen or hidden by Vern. The warning signs were there, you should have gotten out when you could have. It would be nice if he gets sent to jail, but that probably won't get your money back. Learn waht warning signs you missed this time to prevent yourself from ending up like this again in the future.

I did try to get my money out.  They did not allow me to withdraw it.  When someone steals money or scams someone, its not always the fault of the victim for not doing something correctly.  Sometimes the person that steals the money is at fault.  In fact, the person that steals the money is always at fault.  Please don't blame victims.
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 10:47:14 PM

It can be used against him if they are still in the states.

And everything they own to their deed or ownership can be taken away if the the judge takes certain judgment on the class action case, similar to BFL Labs.

DropsOfJupiter

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 10:58:48 PM

Yeah, this is very suspect...declaring insolvency and preferring some customers (those with alts) over other customers (those with BTC). This is also quite illegal. Does he need a powershovel to dig himself a bigger hole with the authorities?

How is this illegal?

It is illegal for bankrupt/insolvent companies to prefer creditors of the same rank (ie in this case unsecured creditors) over other creditors of the same rank. Otherwise they could pay out friends, close business partners first and leave people who should have the same rights to reimbursement with nothing.

dude, we are not creditors as we just deposit our altcoins and not selling them to Cryptsy LTD, so we are sharesholders on each type of cryptocurrency, claiming that my shares need to be sold(on which price, probaly on 1 satoshi each first million and rest for free?) in order to cover your stolen type of shares is mass theft, and that is illegal! Cryptsy LTD was a private vault with just one lock box on same type of "shares"
I know this sounds harsh, but Cryptsy isn't a bank.

You asswipe.  Tongue
So was he right?

EDIT

FUCK YOUR BOUNTY. Tongue
Is that evidence that BitJohn has access to Cryptsy wallets? I don't really get it.

The most amazing graphic designer in the universe
Phildo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

View Profile
February 24, 2016, 01:36:38 AM

You're probably right.  And we know for sure that BigVern hid the "theft" for 18 months so he was basically running a ponzi scheme from that point on.

That's right, Ponzi schemes are illegal.  I don't know why the justice system isn't going after him for running a Ponzi scheme.  There is a class action suit against him but he should be investigated for criminal activity even if money was stolen from the site.  He basically took money from people like me to pay out withdrawals to other people.

I did try to get my money out.  They did not allow me to withdraw it.  When someone steals money or scams someone, its not always the fault of the victim for not doing something correctly.  Sometimes the person that steals the money is at fault.  In fact, the person that steals the money is always at fault.  Please don't blame victims.

You probably waited too long, or didn't want to take the partial loss by buying some overpriced shitcoin that you could withdraw and are now sitting with a total loss.

Cryptsy and/or the thieves definitely shoulder most of the blame, but anyoen that say here with their fingers in their ears while withdrawal delays and other issues were springing up over time get part of it. I'm not saying that to make you and the others like you feel bad, but so you guys can see what went wrong and how you could have done more to protect yourself so this doesn't happen to you again.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 12:16:37 AM

Anyone found "Big Vern" yet?  He's supposedly in China.
teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 01:06:35 AM

Anyone found "Big Vern" yet?  He's supposedly in China.
China is massive with billion of people there, it's gonna be a one tough challenge to find him there
Maybe we can conduct a search team to search the whole China, at least Big Vern won't be able to move from one place to another place easily that way Tongue

Though, we need to have crowdfunding to pay the search team
aardvark15

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 03:13:57 AM

Anyone found "Big Vern" yet?  He's supposedly in China.
China is massive with billion of people there, it's gonna be a one tough challenge to find him there
Maybe we can conduct a search team to search the whole China, at least Big Vern won't be able to move from one place to another place easily that way Tongue

Though, we need to have crowdfunding to pay the search team

If we can get crowdfunding to pay for a search team, maybe we should just use the crowdfunding to pay for our losses instead.  Because even if we find him, we probably can't get the money back.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: