Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:14:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Distribution models for crypto  (Read 1823 times)
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 06:38:33 AM

unless you start asking for ID which is not going to work

Why won't that work?

My other idea is to make the recipient consume a resource which is more expensive than the current market value of the tokens distributed, e.g. verified mobile numbers. But apparently in some locales, mobile numbers can be obtained for free in unlimited quantities (or am I mistaken about that?).

That is interesting and something to look at. I said it won't work because I believe most people are sceptical about giving their ID and I think I would loose a lot of people in that way. Also, I would have no meaningful way of verifying any ID but just assume that it was real etc. You mean verified mobile numbers as in some kind of verification code by text message?

Soooooooon...............

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davien

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 09:49:31 AM

unless you start asking for ID which is not going to work

Why won't that work?

My other idea is to make the recipient consume a resource which is more expensive than the current market value of the tokens distributed, e.g. verified mobile numbers. But apparently in some locales, mobile numbers can be obtained for free in unlimited quantities (or am I mistaken about that?).

That is interesting and something to look at. I said it won't work because I believe most people are sceptical about giving their ID and I think I would loose a lot of people in that way. Also, I would have no meaningful way of verifying any ID but just assume that it was real etc. You mean verified mobile numbers as in some kind of verification code by text message?
IMO very few would unveil this identity and personal informations around here

catch.me.if.you.can

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 01:07:32 PM

Does anyone have a good idea for distributing a PoS only coins for free? The distribution needs to be widespread and free and there needs to be robust mechanisms in place to prevent fraud such that one person only gets one payout. Using Bitcointalk usernames is just too limited and using IPs seems unreliable so what can be done?

Nothing. IDs are necessary like Aurora coin.
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1051

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2016, 06:05:54 PM

no one is giving ids to anyone. users are all about anonymity.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 07:18:26 PM

Does anyone have a good idea for distributing a PoS only coins for free? The distribution needs to be widespread and free and there needs to be robust mechanisms in place to prevent fraud such that one person only gets one payout. Using Bitcointalk usernames is just too limited and using IPs seems unreliable so what can be done?

I am somewhat against the idea of asking people for ID and there may be some issues around that. I was thinking of using WhatsApp as a distribution tool. As far as I can understand you will need a smart(ish) phone to run WhatsApp and it's linked to your phone number. So you set up a WhatsApp for the coin and users could register through a WhatsApp message. You would then need two (or three) working phones to be able to claim twice and that would be restrictive for most, at least in the beginning before a coin has any real value. WhatsApp is free and it's in use world wide. Any observations on WhatsApp as a distribution tool?

TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 07:36:15 PM

I am somewhat against the idea of asking people for ID and there may be some issues around that. I was thinking of using WhatsApp as a distribution tool. As far as I can understand you will need a smart(ish) phone to run WhatsApp and it's linked to your phone number. So you set up a WhatsApp for the coin and users could register through a WhatsApp message. You would then need two (or three) working phones to be able to claim twice and that would be restrictive for most, at least in the beginning before a coin has any real value. WhatsApp is free and it's in use world wide. Any observations on WhatsApp as a distribution tool?

I think there is a way to read the phone's software ID number under Android but it is deprecated. And I think the user can hack this ID number.

Some telcoms employ a simmcard which for example here in the Philippines can be purchased for less than $1. Thus attainnig many phone numbers (for the same phone) is not very expensive.

You'd need some way through the telcoms to verify the unique hardware ID of the phone (the one that can be used to track the phone if it is stolen). Does WhatApp do that?

catch.me.if.you.can

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 07:50:49 PM

I do not see something bad with the IDs. In an ideal democratic society the finances must be clear and open.
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 09:33:21 PM

I do not see something bad with the IDs. In an ideal democratic society the finances must be clear and open.

This is hardly an ideal democratic society and it's full of all sorts of fraudsters. Another idea would be a face-to-face on Skype to register and get coins. We see your face but you don't need ID. Also, why not have only one unique "coin address" per wallet with no option to create another address and instead have a 'comment' field to designate who and to/from if you wish.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 03:14:42 AM

We see your face but you don't need ID.

You can't remember all the faces. You would need face recognition technology, but maybe that can be gamed as well.

vaporware asset wizard

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 03:42:24 AM

Big toe prints are unique to every person, and not generally used by law enforcement, so no privacy implications.

Applicants upload a photo of their toe scan, which in theory could be scanned using regular fingerprint matching software for duplicates/scammers.

Once the distro was completed the toe prints could be deleted permanently
davien

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 09:48:30 AM

This is hardly an ideal democratic society and it's full of all sorts of fraudsters. Another idea would be a face-to-face on Skype to register and get coins. We see your face but you don't need ID. Also, why not have only one unique "coin address" per wallet with no option to create another address and instead have a 'comment' field to designate who and to/from if you wish.
That skype idea isn't that bad Cheesy

catch.me.if.you.can

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 10:31:32 AM

Big toe prints are unique to every person, and not generally used by law enforcement, so no privacy implications.

Applicants upload a photo of their toe scan, which in theory could be scanned using regular fingerprint matching software for duplicates/scammers.

Some coins need permanent distro because they have demurrage (e.g. freicoin) or non-fixed supply.
davien

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 10:44:53 AM

I can see a new business opportunity over here. Black Big Toe Market - Buy your new personality - Buy a big toe print

catch.me.if.you.can

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 12:28:04 PM

What about dna fingerprint?
EBK1000 (OP)
Legendary

A Wound in Eternity

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 06:54:32 PM

What about dna fingerprint?

What about retina deposit. Wee keep your retina until distribution is over.

vaporware asset wizard

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 01:57:20 AM

I can see a new business opportunity over here. Black Big Toe Market - Buy your new personality - Buy a big toe print

haha ... in all seriousness, assuming a project could acquire and use fingerprint scanning software, then big toe scans might work. What opportunities for abuse are there? Probably only someone taking toe prints from disabled & elderly people in nursing homes, and that'd require physical access to the sockpuppet toes (for taking prints and cleaning off the ink). I can't see too many scammers bothering. Also, toe scans still need to be uploaded, so all regular checking for IP's and browser signatures etc would be done.

I think toe scans is too cumbersome for scammers, but viable for genuine applications. Plus great marketing potential Smiley
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:38:55 AM

Photoshopped big toe prints.

The scanner is at a distance. You can't prove it was used.

The chin that looks like a vagina is a I think instructive. I'd photoshop my shaved testicle with a big toe print to see if I could fool the system.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: