Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:55:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 500 BTC Casascius Bar potentially for sale  (Read 3382 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 08:16:08 PM

Hi everyone,

I'd like to feel out how much interest there is for one of the two 500 BTC bars that I made, one which is still intact.

The owner is a long time friend of mine who recently passed away.  His family & their attorney are interested in selling it and they're not sure whether they're best to try to sell it intact (logistically challenging for its value) or to break it open.

So I'm interested in gauging interest in the form of non-binding USD offers on the bar, either open or intact, and in the case of intact, offer could be "$X + 500 BTC" so as to offer price $X on the physical bar itself, the 500 BTC being merely a reimbursement for the bitcoins it contains.

I'm able and willing to certify the bar as the authentic original and also provide the story line for how the bar came to be created and the nature of my relationship with that friend, we go back about 25 years.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 09:03:09 PM

You'll probably find people interested here. If there are more talks about the 500 BTC bar, I don't remember, but I think this is the last time someone showed interest on one of those on the forums.

Also, I guess we're finally going to know who owned the second bar Cheesy Watching.
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 02:37:34 PM

Sorry for your loss Mike. Tough time, I am sure.

I would be interested in the redeemed bar, more within my price range than an intact bar .... but it would be a real shame if that ended up being the way it needed to be sold. Hope you can find a buyer for it 'as is'.

Is the sale (of the bar) fixed in USD, or could it be bitcoin ? (Effectively, could a USD offer be made, but the payment made in bitcoins)

Any limitations as far as international sales go ?

(Thanks, and welcome back)
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2325

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 03:11:58 PM

Do you have a specific price range that you have in mind?

As is the same as above, having the 500 BTC intact would most likely be out of my price range
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 05:20:39 PM

So I am not the seller - I have no notion of what the price should be (and as the maker, I tend to steer clear of participating in the market).  No possibility of offending me - offer $0 just for giggles if you'd like.

His next of kin (& attorney) are not Bitcoin savvy so whether or not they decide to follow through with selling it will depend on whatever they see, USD preferable, and whether they will feel risk selling what must feel like a hot potato (hot in the sense it is a small object with a lot of value, the kind you would have professional handling for rather than ship in the mail).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1247

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 05:49:22 PM

Reserved.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1138541.0

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 06:40:46 PM

Sent a message to someone who might want a loaded one...

Oh, so he wants USD for the bar not Bitcoin?
Michail1
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 06:50:29 PM

I am interested in the bar.

Since no one has made an offer and this isn't an auction, I will just low ball to get a number started other than simply saying I am interested....
I offer BTC + $2k

(A bump to the thread to get notifications since I rarely come to BCT)

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 06:51:32 PM

Since no one has made an offer and this isn't an auction, I will just low ball to get a number started other than simply saying I am interested....
I offer BTC + $2k

lol...that was quick  Wink
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 07:00:22 PM

I offer BTC + $2k

Amazing offer! I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't get it.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 07:16:55 PM

I'll offer $2500 for a redeemed bar only.  If it makes any difference, I can fly out to meet the seller if based in the US.

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 07:24:08 PM

I offer BTC + $2k

Just to be clear on my starting offer,  I am only interested in an intact bar.   PM sent to Mike with details.

nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 07:31:09 PM

I'd offer the USD equivalent of 5 BTC for the redeemed bar (and holo) using the Winkdex rate at 12:00 noon UTC on the day the agreement is finalized.

Sorry, I know that sounds obtuse, just have no idea how to price the thing in USD. Would love to watch the holo being peeled, and potentially interested in traveling to make that happen, depending on location/date etc.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 07:42:21 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2016, 08:00:19 PM by BayAreaCoins

I offer BTC + $2k

Amazing offer! I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't get it.

Seems low in my eyes for a 1 of 2 piece and it being the only one still not redeemed.

It'd be a shame to have both of the 500btc bars redeemed IMO.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 07:59:11 PM

Seems a bit low in my eyes for a 1 of 2 piece and it being the only one still not redeemed.

Little confused here.  If chainsaw has one and you have one, then what is Mike selling?  Unless chainsaw passed away or you sold yours to him (or vise versa).

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 08:04:04 PM

Seems a bit low in my eyes for a 1 of 2 piece and it being the only one still not redeemed.

Little confused here.  If chainsaw has one and you have one, then what is Mike selling?  Unless chainsaw passed away or you sold yours to him (or vise versa).

The one pictured in my thread is Chainsaws.

I had it listed a long time ago for 1000 BTC because he felt more comfortable having me assess it's value + with that high of a listing.  I tend to be fairly confident asking high prices for rare items and catching shit over it Smiley.

He will entertain offers directly though and you're welcome to confirm what I said here with him. (I'm sure he'll pop up over here at some point)

Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 08:05:11 PM

The one pictured in my thread is Chainsaws.

I had it listed a long time ago for 1000 BTC because he felt more comfortable having me assess it's value + with that high of a listing.  I tend to be fairly confident asking high prices for rare items and catching shit over it Smiley.

He will entertain offers directly though and you're welcome to confirm what I said here with him.

Oh, ok.  Makes sense now.   Thanks.

uvwvj

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 08:08:28 PM

Mike - This place is not great for this type of sales anymore - I would suggest Reddit or even Twitter

At lease you have Michail1 here at a base bidder

Good Ole Bay trying to turn a buck some things never change -
Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 09:42:46 PM

Sorry for your loss, Mike.  Thank you for everything you have done for us!
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 23, 2016, 12:19:59 AM

Yes thanks Mike true legend you are and always will be, sorry for the loss of your friend Cry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: