Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:44:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Onus & Remedy in Scam Accusation Threads  (Read 6429 times)
usagi (OP)
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 08:22:21 AM

FWIW I actually agree that for assets like yours, valuing at liquidation price is a bad idea - a terrible idea if you do so based on volume not just highest bid due to low liquidity.

Then in principle you do not agree with the evidence used to inform the contention I was misleading investors and misrepresenting the NAV. Thank you.

Where it was less clear was when you started valuing things a mile above Ask price because you had some belief that they'd be worth a load more in future.  If something trades in the range 0.9 to 1.0 then value should usually be somewhere in the 0.9-1.0 region (if you can buy them at 1.0 - and noone, including you, is snapping them up, then it's hard to see how they can be worth more than that).

I believe you are referring to COGNITIVE and ABM. ABM was selling and trading, albeit illiquidly, at ~0.45 IIRC. Sometimes it would dip down to ~0.15. After talking with PsychoticBoy and analyzing the company and the price history, I believed it was worth at least 0.35. So I marked it.

I was also right about COGNITIVE. back when it was ~0.40? or so? I predicted it would go to 0.60 or 0.65. I was right.

Yes I did make some mistakes as initially I was doing everything by hand. But I corrected every mistake which was pointed out to me.

An example of where it got really delusional was continuing to value OBSI.HRPT at IPO price (0.01) even when everyone (apart, apparently, from  you) knew he'd scammed and it was trading in a range a LOT lower.

You did not know. And there are things I know which you are not aware of. For example, I saw Obsi buy back thousands of OBSI.HRPT shares on the market to raise the price. That's when I bought in. I had discussions with Obsi about this. maybe I was his mark -- I don't know. I acted on the information I had at the time. Just because you were essentially a non-participant does not mean I wasn't. I had reasonable grounds to believe it was not a scam.

And valuing hardware at the price you paid for it in BTC even when the exchange-rate had doubled and its BTC value was now half that.

I didn't do that. All of the equipment purchases were in mid-late september at around $11-$12/BTC.

If you take on exchange-rate risks, then the outcome of those risks has to be included in valuations - leaving things at what you paid for them (when beyond ANY doubt they're worth a lot less) just because you don't want to report a loss is NOT good practice.

I agree.

Not actually sure it's scamming though - I just put it down to a combination of incompetence and a belief you were always right that meant even when someone pointed out a glaring mistake you just assumed you were right without even spending 10 seconds checking.

Anyway, got to do weekly report for my own fund - after that I'll see if I have time to type up details of my first allegation (there's only a handful in total that I'll bother with) and send it to BCB.

I'm not always right. But in this case I have grounds to do what I did. I'm sorry if you don't understand all the inputs that went into my decision making, and I'm sorry if I made mistakes. But I did not defraud, scam, or lie. That is very important in judging whether or not I am a scammer -- I did not create a victim and there are no damages. If there are victims and damages you need to clearly state them. Example:

I, as an investor in BMF, was a victim of usagi's misrepresentation BECAUSE I bought into his company BECAUSE he told me that the stock was worth 1 bitcoin when the truth is, that as soon as he had bought any share whatsoever it should be valued at the bid price. Therefore usagi scammed me out of the bid-ask spread on his investments.

This is just an example -- but it's important to contain the information in the style above: 1. who is the victim, 2. what are the damages, 3. what did usagi do wrong which created the victim and the damages, which proposes the remedy (repayment, in this case).

In the above hypothetical case I could also make a proper response; You are not a victim BECAUSE the contract clearly stated I would provide value through analysis, and I did so by using fair value accounting which '...takes into account objective factors such as acquisition cost'. ... and such information was also provided in weekly shareholder letters and on our website.

See? the three guidelines in the OP are a very simple way to fairly deal with any scammer accusation case.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 09:34:32 AM

You did not know. And there are things I know which you are not aware of. For example, I saw Obsi buy back thousands of OBSI.HRPT shares on the market to raise the price. That's when I bought in. I had discussions with Obsi about this. maybe I was his mark -- I don't know. I acted on the information I had at the time. Just because you were essentially a non-participant does not mean I wasn't. I had reasonable grounds to believe it was not a scam.

You fell for the oldest trick in the book.

One of the main moves in market mainpulation is to buy from yourself - making it look like demand/trade volume.

All he likely did there was buy back shares from a second account of his.  He got hundreds (or whatever) of BTC from you in return for just paying a trade fee on moving shares from a puppet account back to the issuing account.  Take a look at the really obvious ponzis pn BTC exchanges - watch how they seem to sell a chunk of shares early then post about sales being fast and they're nearly sold out (followed by them suddenly finding capacity to sell more).  Here's a clue - those sales aren't real: they're selling to themselves to make it look like there's demand.  Market-manipulators/scammers do it all the time - establishing volume at a price-point to get naive inestors to believe that an artifical range is 'real'.  Simiarly when he stopped selling shares to let the price recover - it's a safe bet that he was actually still selling, just selling pre-transferred shares from a 2nd account so shares outstanding didn't increase.

And ponzis routinely place Asks below IPO price - they don't actually NEED a fixed amount per share so can sell at any price they want.  Making it look like there's some shares for sale cheap is great for them if it'll get them a few extra sales to bargain-hunters.  So an order book loaded with his orders is fine.  Go look at MOB on LTC-GLOBAL (an obvious scam or disaster that somehow got 5 votes despite no thread, no info on issuer, lots of missing info in contract no evidence of any past activity lending and a claimed board with no identities).  IPO price is 1.0.  See the 400 for sale at 0.95?  Guess who that is (hint: there's less than 400 shares outstanding so you don't even have to guess).  If those were outstanding (rather than unissued - i.e. he had the sense to transfer them to a 2nd account and sell from that) and he bought them back would that convince you he was genuine?

Sorry that you saw something that didn't prove ANYTHING about whether obsi was a scammer or not (if legitimate he was buying back, if a scammer he was probably buying from himself or doing it as a loss-leader - so the action isn't evidence in either direction) and fell for it.

If you wanted to establish he wasn't scamming then the responsible thing to do would be to insist he prove the funds raised are being used in a business generating the profits he claimed.  Anyhting less than that (when you have suspicions) and you aren't trying to find out whether it's a scam or not - you're just trying to find an excuse to ignore the suspicion it's a scam through greed for the promised return.  Which is why all these scams work - people's greed over-rides their common-sense and they look for reasons to invest when, sensibly, they should be looking for reasons NOT to invest and only investing if there aren't any.

There's a really simple rule to follow which will let you avoid nearly all ponzis/blatangt scams and won't make you miss many (if any) real opportunities.  If they won't reveal what they do OR won't prove that they do what they claim to do then don't invest.  It really IS that simple.  Go look for examples of securities where what was being done wasn't revealed (or it WAS revealed but no rpoof given to show it was happening) and investors got their capital back - don't expect to find many (other than loss-leading small loans to set up a bigger one to run with).
Deprived

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 09:47:37 AM

I'm not always right. But in this case I have grounds to do what I did. I'm sorry if you don't understand all the inputs that went into my decision making, and I'm sorry if I made mistakes. But I did not defraud, scam, or lie. That is very important in judging whether or not I am a scammer -- I did not create a victim and there are no damages. If there are victims and damages you need to clearly state them. Example:

I, as an investor in BMF, was a victim of usagi's misrepresentation BECAUSE I bought into his company BECAUSE he told me that the stock was worth 1 bitcoin when the truth is, that as soon as he had bought any share whatsoever it should be valued at the bid price. Therefore usagi scammed me out of the bid-ask spread on his investments.

This is just an example -- but it's important to contain the information in the style above: 1. who is the victim, 2. what are the damages, 3. what did usagi do wrong which created the victim and the damages, which proposes the remedy (repayment, in this case).

In the above hypothetical case I could also make a proper response; You are not a victim BECAUSE the contract clearly stated I would provide value through analysis, and I did so by using fair value accounting which '...takes into account objective factors such as acquisition cost'. ... and such information was also provided in weekly shareholder letters and on our website.

See? the three guidelines in the OP are a very simple way to fairly deal with any scammer accusation case.

First off, I'll formulate my accusations however I choose - it's not for you to somehow disallow accusations against you that don't fit some format you desire. 

I will however:

1.  Describe what you said and did, either with evidence of the post (if I have it recorded or it hasn't been deleted) or with a pretty clear explanation of where it was prior to deletion so it can be recovered.
2.  Explain why it (the action or statement) was wrong - unless it's so obviously wrong that there's no need.
3.  If something you said was untrue then explain why you MUST have known it was untrue (getting something wrong accidentally  is absolutely NOT scamming).
4.  Explain some how group of people lost out (or could have lost out) as a result of what you did

I will NOT propose a remedy.  A remedy is irrelevant to whether or not a scam occurred - which is all I'm attempting to demonstrate.  Remedy should be determined AFTER there's been a decision that there was a wrong that needs to be righted.  Similarly I won't attempt to calculate the value of damages - that only determines the SCALE of a scam, not whether or not there is/was one.

Back to doing my report - nearly had it done then found I'd typoed the exchange-rate on which it was all based when doing final double-checks before publishing.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 10:44:42 AM

Anyone can point out scammers.  However it seems a lot of people really don't like usgai but many of his most vocal critics didn't really lose any money.
That might be because...

Seeing as how EskimoBob among others have NON-TRIVIAL amounts of investment in my companies, it now seems obvious you were engaged in a stock price manipulation scheme. Did you know EskimoBob's NYAN.A holdings alone are worth more than $500 US? He was in deep. Why was he pushing so hard? Was he buying on the cheap? This wasn't 1 or 2 shares. Mircea was in too. All the time MPOE-PR was shitting on me, and the trouble I had with smickles, pigeons, and so on -- and what comes out in the end? Mircea has over $1,000 US in NYAN.A alone and is invested in almost every one of my companies. What the hell? $50 bucks says you and puppet were also in. Now the picture becomes clear doesn't it?

Which seems like a good reason why people other than the person being scammed should be allowed to accuse scammers.

That's right - when it turns out that one of usagi's biggest critics had actually lost money as a result of the actions by usagi he was complaining about, usagi accused him and everyone else who criticised of a "stock price manipulation scheme" and uses this as a further argument for why they shouldn't have been allowed to accuse him of being a scammer. Furthermore, usagi has said that he's not going to repay EskimoBob in full or even give him his own shares in full because EskimoBob accused him of scamming:

Thank you for the email.
I think you need to start typing that apology letter for all the baseless lies you have spread about me in your forum posts. You know, those where you state for fact, that I lie about holding shares in one of those disasters of yours.
I'm probably not going to pay you or return your shares -- at least not without taking reparations for the damages you've caused my business. I've been in contact with an internet defamation lawyer for a couple of weeks now. I've already demonstrated defamation and financial damages. The main problem I face is jurisdiction; and therefore $$$. It's expensive. In your it might not be -- I have your hushmail address now, which is hosted in Canada (small world ehh) so I don't need to go through Theymos. That will end up saving me $1000 or so.

I'm still thinking how to proceed but whatever decision will involve a community-approved decision, so don't even bother whining about this, I'm just telling you what is going to happen and that it's out of your hands. I am going to assign a value to the damages you've caused me, which is at least the value of the BAKEWELL contract, and deduct that value from what you are owed. If you don't like this, my advice is that you issue an apology. Please understand, this isn't an issue of proving what you are owed; that's well known, and I've already demonstrated financial damages. It's similar to how Patrick Harnett and Hashking aren't going to get paid (or will get deductions) from the various businesses they invested in. Patrick Harnett had something like 10,000 shares of CPA -- but he owes CPA something like 100 or 150 bitcoins. So I will be deducting from him as well. It's just like that. No biggie. You fucked up, now you have to pay the price.

This is a good reason why people who haven't been scammed should be able to make scammer accusations. We saw a similar phenomena with Pirate's scam where he managed to intimidate most of his victims into shutting up by threatening not to repay them if they didn't.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
usagi (OP)
VIP

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 10:55:21 AM

That's right - when it turns out that one of usagi's biggest critics had actually lost money as a result of the actions by usagi he was complaining about,

STOP LYING.

It has not been shown that EskimoBob lost money as a NYAN.A holder. You have NO RIGHT to say that and NO EVIDENCE. This is a prime example of how false claims and emotion can ruin someone. Makomk you are being very foolish. Almost 1000 bitcoins were used to buy back NYAN.A before the GLBSE close and support a price of 1 bitcoin per share. I am now in a claims process where all NYAN.A holders will receive 1 bitcoin per share.

How dare you sit there and state that EskimoBob lost money. it's because of stupid, irresponsible comments like yours just now that I am in this situation.

usagi accused him and everyone else who criticised of a "stock price manipulation scheme" and uses this as a further argument for why they shouldn't have been allowed to accuse him of being a scammer.

No I did not say he should not be allowed to accuse me.

Furthermore, usagi has said that he's not going to repay EskimoBob in full or even give him his own shares in full because EskimoBob accused him of scamming:

No I did not. You are lying. I said I would follow a community approved process. That process has now been completed by burnside on BTCT.CO and EskimoBob has his 40 shares.

I'm still thinking how to proceed but whatever decision will involve a community-approved decision,

See? You quoted me but you do not have the intelligence or the respect to read what I said.

The damage you, and people like you have caused me is nearly irreparable. You owe me an apology.

We saw a similar phenomena with Pirate's scam where he managed to intimidate most of his victims into shutting up by threatening not to repay them if they didn't.

I'll be square with you: You need to fuck off. You don't have the intelligence or reading comprehension to understand what happened. You are operating like a blindfolded child trying to strike a pinata hoping some candy will fall out. You don't even read what you quote and don't seem to realize the stuff you quote undermines what you say.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 10:59:30 AM

Wow. That is right out of pirates play book. You learned at the feat of the master.

It is not looking good for usgai.

Usgai. Please site the name and address of the "Internet defamation lawyer" you consulted.

Thank you.
usagi (OP)
VIP

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 11:23:53 AM

Wow. That is right out of pirates play book. You learned at the feat of the master.

Huh? What?

?

Usgai. Please site the name and address of the "Internet defamation lawyer" you consulted.

Thank you.

You're not welcome. Why would I provide you his name? I paid a consultation fee and didn't retain him. Huh It has nothing to do with anything I'm being accused of. He certainly won't talk with you on the phone about my case unless I authorize him to, and he will likely charge you money for the telephone consultation. This is a bit of a dead end and doesn't make sense.

You're being hostile to me. You've misrepresented what I told you in PM. You are intentionally or otherwise failing to understand that the BMF contract stipulated that I would provide added value via analysis. And that vampire's contention is without merit because we had a mandate to buy and hold as a long term investment fund. I have discussed the principles of fair value accounting with you in three places now; twice in PM and once in a reply in this thread. If you cannot admit that you have grossly misrepresented what I said, then I will post our conversation in PM. I can't believe you are unable to comprehend what I said about our contract and how we valued stocks.

We wrote it into the contract friend. We did what we said we were going to do. And no one lost any money just because we followed fair value accounting principles. Unfortunately it seems you're a little short on facts.. and what facts you have you are twisting... You make me sad, I had thought you would treat this fairly.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 11:46:18 AM

The name of the lawyers is a fact.

I'm. Looking for facts and you can not provide any.

You use lots of words to say the same things over and over again.

Please post a copy of the invoice from the lawyer.

Please also post a copy of your contract.

Thank you.
ldrgn

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:07:37 PM

1. There must be a clear victim.

So under your proposed ruleset Pirate doesn't get a scammer tag until he's defaulted, even though he was offering impossible returns and clearly running a Ponzi from day one.  How is this a more equitable system?  This only benefits the people looking to scam.
Deprived

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:31:26 PM

So under your proposed ruleset Pirate doesn't get a scammer tag until he's defaulted, even though he was offering impossible returns and clearly running a Ponzi from day one.  How is this a more equitable system?  This only benefits the people looking to scam.

I could claim I built a rocket in my back yard and offer to sell flights to the moon in it.  Obviously noone would fall for it - so by usagi's definition I wouldn't be a scammer as there was no victim and no damages.

By everyone else's definition I'd be a scammer - just a very bad one who was never going to make a profit from his unsuccessful scams.  A scam is a fraudulent business scheme - there's no requirement for it to actually succeed in defrauding anyone for it to be a scam.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:36:16 PM

So under your proposed ruleset Pirate doesn't get a scammer tag until he's defaulted, even though he was offering impossible returns and clearly running a Ponzi from day one.  How is this a more equitable system?  This only benefits the people looking to scam.

I could claim I built a rocket in my back yard and offer to sell flights to the moon in it.  Obviously noone would fall for it - so by usagi's definition I wouldn't be a scammer as there was no victim and no damages.

By everyone else's definition I'd be a scammer - just a very bad one who was never going to make a profit from his unsuccessful scams.  A scam is a fraudulent business scheme - there's no requirement for it to actually succeed in defrauding anyone for it to be a scam.

By that arguement then Buttery Fly Labs is a scammer.
And BTCJam is a scam.

I think there does need to be a victim. It is our job to regulate another person belief? 

I may not believe you have a rocket ship in you back yard but I would believe Richard Branson. And if Richard Branson rocket ship fails to make it to the moon does that make him a scammer?
usagi (OP)
VIP

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:40:36 PM

The mods have said the same thing countless times. In trhe EskimoBob/YARR thread, badbear ruled that there must be financial loss, and that if I only lost my time and not money as a result of an attempted scam the accused would not get a tag.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:46:16 PM

If a person is greedy and or dumb enough to invest in a company paying unrealistic returns who are we to stop them. The fact that this form allows that cesspool of a lending forum to exist with only a disclaimer it is pretty clear that it is up to the buyer to beware.

I think victim who has lost money is required for a scammer tag
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:50:07 PM

So while it is clear that a Lot of guys don't like usgai.

He is obviously not a very good investment manager

He also a lier and probably Delusional  he may still not be a scammer.
usagi (OP)
VIP

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:56:05 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2012, 01:07:13 PM by usagi

He also a lier and probably Delusional  he may still not be a scammer.

I warned you that if you continued to misrepresent me I would post the discussion we had. I'm going to write it up now.

BCB is not dealing with this case in a fair and equitable manner.

I sent BCB the following information in PM:
Hi. The charge of me misrepresenting the value of my assets seems central to this discussion. I would like to point out some things.

One, the spreadsheets were published on tsukino.ca/bmf, which was a wordpress site which I have deleted. So it is unrecoverable. however, you can know what was published there because I re-published the holdings of BMF here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=133168.0

In response to this, BCB posted:
"the spreadsheets were published on tsukino.ca/bmf, which was a wordpress site which I have deleted. So it is unrecoverable. "
* admitting to deleting material information.

In the above, BCB has failed to account for what I said, that I republished the holdings of BMF. When he says that I "admit" to deleting "material information" he is blowing this out of proportion. The information was not material at the time it was deleted. Furthermore, thanks to puppet an eskimobob and not least myself there are copies of our holdings online. Taking what I said as "admitting" to deleting "material information" is a misrepresentation of what I said.

Point two was, "I had written into the contract that BMF would provide added value to investors via analysis. This was the value that I had put in to the spreadsheet initially. At a certain point in time (august?) EskimoBob, Puppet, Deprived, et. al began complaining that this was a form of falsifying NAV. So we had a long discussion. During this discussion I asked them if pulling data off GLBSE was the correct thing to do. They said yes in general (people thought it was a better idea) so I downloaded some kind of script to pull data off GLBSE and used a formula which looked at 24hr avg, 5 day avg, etc. and picked either the max or the average -- can't remember, the point being that it was data based directly off GLBSE. On the spreadsheet I announced this change and posted the exact formula. I also posted this formula in a letter to shareholders posted on the securities forum. However, in a separate discussion (not intended as advertising) I mis-spoke about the nature of the formula. I think I said "average" instead of "max" -- and this was taken as an attempt to defraud. Nothing could have been farther from the truth."

In response, BCB posted this:
he admits to incorrectly valuing his assets:
"I mis-spoke about the nature of the formula. I think I said "average" instead of "max" – "
He admits that while he was representing  the value of his investments in the future - if  the investor how liquidated their asset would actually receive less value.:

This is a complete 180 degree turn around from what I said. I did not, absolutely not admit that I incorrectly valued my assets! I am extremely upset that BCB would lie about what I said in this manner.

Point three was,
"After I had gone through this painful process the same people (eskimobob, deprived, puppet) and others continued to complain. So in desperation I ran a shareholder motion about the valuation. I also provided three independant ways to calculate the value; the share count, from the original spreadsheet, the analysis value I had written into the contract which was my duty to provide, and the new column valuing the holdings by using the GLBSE data. I went out of my way to provide as much information as I could. What was EskimoBob and puppet's response?

They produced a spreadsheet using the minimum of last traded price, 5 day avg, and bid -- designed to make my holdings look like crap. The value ended up around half of what I had posted, and they used this to say I was lying. The claim was that if someone wanted to liquidate their investments, that would be the price they could get. This is true but also extremely misleading -- as a fund we were more interested in future value and collecting dividends. It is very unfair to say I was misleading investors because I painted a picture of future value and dividend value, instead of telling them what they would get if they sold everything in a market order.

The problem with valuing that way is we always instantly lose money. if I buy at the ask and then value at the bid, I have to report a -5% or -10% on every trade and that is not logical. No fund operates that way. Not FDBF, SS, M.ETF, MU, GBF or anything. If we pay 100 BTC for BTC-MINING for example, we would keep the stock at 100BTC until something major or material turns up about the company or until the stock price crashed. I was never concerned with day to day fluctuations of 2% here, 5% there. It was my job to provide added value through analysis. That's my feeling. I hope it helps."

In response to the comments BCb made I issued him the following clarification in PM:
So I just heard from usagi  he indicates:

"the spreadsheets were published on tsukino.ca/bmf, which was a wordpress site which I have deleted. So it is unrecoverable. "

* admitting to deleting material information.

Why did you say that when I provided reasonable evidence that the material information a) was republished by me, accurately, and b) is in possession by a large number of other people in the form of lists by nefario?

he says he "can't remember" specific facts.

The fact in question is whether or not the contention was between publishing an average value in the spreadsheet, forum thread and shareholder letter and accidentally referring to it as a max function, OR publishing it as max and accidentally referring to it as average. Do I need to point out that the fact in question was already linked to you by vampire? You are coloring what I said.

he admits to incorrectly valuing his assets:

"I mis-spoke about the nature of the formula. I think I said "average" instead of "max" – "

No I did not. Why did you say I admitted to incorrectly valuing the assets when you know the context of what was said? You are making it look like I engaged in a campaign to promote my stock as being valued by avg (or max) in opposition to how it was actually valued. That's not right.

He admits that while he was representing  the value of his investments in the future - if  the investor how liquidated their asset would actually receive less value.:

"The claim was that if someone wanted to liquidate their investments, that would be the price they could get. This is true "

It's not looking good for usagi.

Why did you say it's not looking good when I told you that this is how all funds operate? Are you aware that no fund in the world ever buys at asks and then reports value at bid? Do you understand how a mutual fund operates? When we buy x shares of a security at 1 bitcoin per share, we do not turn around and immediately value them at bid. That's crazy. I used formulas that STABILIZED the value of the fund so that when we made purchases it would not adversely affect the price of the fund. This is normal. This is how an IPO works. You are proposing, are you not, that if we sold 100 shares in IPO, then immediately the other 9,900 shares would be worth less than 1 btc per share merely because we now must value the company at bid price.

That is not how investing works, that is not how markets work, and that is not how mutual funds work. I demand that you publish what I have said here if you are to remain impartial in this case. It is not a crime or a fraud to value stocks at what we paid for them or by analysis especially since that was written into the contract, of which all investors were made aware.

I don't yet understand why you are misrepresenting what I said in this way. If you are going to say, for example, the quotes you said -- but ignore the explanation -- you are doing people a disservice.

Furthermore the spreadsheet also cautioned investors that all values were estimates. Are you familiar with fair value accounting? Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_value
In accounting and economics, fair value is a rational and unbiased estimate of the potential market price of a good, service, or asset. It takes into account such objective factors as:

acquisition/production/distribution costs, replacement costs, or costs of close substitutes
    actual utility at a given level of development of social productive capability
    supply vs. demand

and subjective factors such as

risk characteristics
    cost of and return on capital
    individually perceived utility

Please note words "potential market price" (future value)
"utility...cost of and return on capital" (capital gains but also dividends)
also note: "subjective factors".

The fact that I didn't value long term holdings at bid price is actually a GOOD thing.

I did not admit to misrepresenting value, incorrectly valuing assets, or deleting material information. I demand you post a retraction of that if you are going to remain in charge of a fair assessment.

You need to understand finance and accounting practices to understand that I was doing a GOOD job and not a BAD job valuing assets. The fact that deprived or vampire don't really know anything about finance or accounting does not mean it looks bad for me. It means they don't really know anything about finance or accounting.

In response, BCB posts this:

Thank you.

I told him in PM that I did not appreciate the hostile way he was treating me. He responded by saying he never asked me to work with him and that I could not bully him into doing what I wanted (Huh) I told him, I would not work with someone who was being hostile to me in this manner. Then he posted this:

I contend that BCB is misrepresenting what I told him and is treating me in a hostile manner. I believe he is using his position of repsect in the community, gained from dealing properly with other scammers, to pile on yet more baseless claims against me. For all the talk of evidence and fairness, BCB has responded to me with innuendo and hostility, compared me to pirate, and ignored my statements of fact about how we ran BMF.
Deprived

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:57:37 PM

So under your proposed ruleset Pirate doesn't get a scammer tag until he's defaulted, even though he was offering impossible returns and clearly running a Ponzi from day one.  How is this a more equitable system?  This only benefits the people looking to scam.

I could claim I built a rocket in my back yard and offer to sell flights to the moon in it.  Obviously noone would fall for it - so by usagi's definition I wouldn't be a scammer as there was no victim and no damages.

By everyone else's definition I'd be a scammer - just a very bad one who was never going to make a profit from his unsuccessful scams.  A scam is a fraudulent business scheme - there's no requirement for it to actually succeed in defrauding anyone for it to be a scam.

By that arguement then Buttery Fly Labs is a scammer.
And BTCJam is a scam.

I think there does need to be a victim. It is our job to regulate another person belief? 

I may not believe you have a rocket ship in you back yard but I would believe Richard Branson. And if Richard Branson rocket ship fails to make it to the moon does that make him a scammer?

Right - but if it was PROVED I didn't have a rocket ship in my back yard?  Would I still not be a scammer?

How about if I created a nick very similar to theymos', claimed to be a owner of this forum and offered to escrow for people?  I'd get banned for it - but are you saying I wouldn't be a scammer unless someone actually fell for it?

This gos to the point I made in my first repsonse in this thread:  that behaviour which gets a scammer tag is NOT the same as being a scammer.  If the tag is only given when actual harm is caused then you could in some cases conclude that someone IS a scammer but that they won't get a scammer tag as they didn't succeed in scamming anyone.

It's irrelevant in this case anyway - as I'll get around to examples where victims DID suffer loss from usagi anyway (though at this point it may still be repairable).  Think I'm nearly done on first one (a couple more old posts to dig out) then will no doubt hit a PM size limit and have to redo it in chunks.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 01:40:15 PM

Usgai
I don't know you. I dont claim to represent you. I don't have a bias either way.  I attempt to glean what scant facts are in you PM to me.

I ask for Additional facts And you respond with paragraphs of opinion.

It is based on this dialogue with you and others that I form my opinion of which I'm entitled to express untainted by you spin. I will state again publically you can not bully nor intimidate me.

If you fail to supply requested facts I will continue to shape my opinion based on factual info available to me.
You are free to post any and all private conversations we have.

But I will only post relevant comments in the other thread.

Thank you.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 01:42:23 PM

Deprived

That is what we are trying to do here: find proof.

I look forward to reading your message.
usagi (OP)
VIP

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 01:51:26 PM

Usgai
I don't know you. I dont claim to represent you. I don't have a bias either way.  I attempt to glean what scant facts are in you PM to me.

I ask for Additional facts And you respond with paragraphs of opinion.

Is that why you called me a delusional liar?

If you fail to supply requested facts I will continue to shape my opinion based on factual info available to me.

So you are claiming to have facts which state I am a liar and that I am delusional? If so why did you then post this, which insinuates you do not have evidence?

That is what we are trying to do here: find proof.
I look forward to reading your message.

You are free to post any and all private conversations we have.
But I will only post relevant comments in the other thread.
Thank you.

So far all I have seen is you saying that "it doesn't look good for usagi", comparing me to pirate, and saying I am delusional and a liar. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then it's not an attempt to "bully" you -- I just choose not to deal with you because you are obviously just trolling here.

Please, prove me wrong. I'd appreciate it.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 02:13:46 PM

Usgai your continued Obfuscation will not work here. Nor will I repeat myself to aid in your Obfuscation.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: