Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:27:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering out loud: Which should Chinese miners support - Core, Classic or another?  (Read 37956 times)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 05:23:10 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2016, 07:57:37 PM by hdbuck

Its good (chineese) Miners are greedy, we all are.

So nobody breaks the consensus.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 05:53:43 PM

I think it is a bit disingenuous to argue that nationalities don't matter as many western bitcoiners, including prominent ones, cite Chin as a factor in their assessment of the success of Bitcoin or lack thereof.
It is almost like to say that on the level of atoms, there is no sexuality or race, therefore the society should heed nothing but laws of physics.
I agree that code itself doesn't recognise nationality, but it is not only the code, but people who are involved with it.

That's an interesting point, so the culture also plays a role in the consensus building too. It will make the consensus more difficult to reach

I believe that the first consensus community must reach is to write some constitution level rules so that every one is agree with, so that we have some common ground to build upon. The reason that we have so many different road maps promoted by different party is because there is no such level of commonly agreed basic principles

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 05:58:24 PM

I think it is a bit disingenuous to argue that nationalities don't matter as many western bitcoiners, including prominent ones, cite Chin as a factor in their assessment of the success of Bitcoin or lack thereof.
It is almost like to say that on the level of atoms, there is no sexuality or race, therefore the society should heed nothing but laws of physics.
I agree that code itself doesn't recognise nationality, but it is not only the code, but people who are involved with it.

That's an interesting point, so the culture also plays a role in the consensus building too. It will make the consensus more difficult to reach

I believe that the first consensus community must reach is to write some constitution level rules so that every one is agree with, so that we have some common ground to build upon. The reason that we have so many different road maps promoted by different party is because there is no such level of commonly agreed basic principles

I don't think a constitution will fly. Bitcoin is an incentives machine. If something changes it will be because the incentive structure has changed somehow.

Innit?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 06:20:28 PM

That's a half-truth. Angry

I'm sorry, care to elaborate? I forgot why you're ignored Grin
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 06:34:35 PM

I don't think a constitution will fly. Bitcoin is an incentives machine. If something changes it will be because the incentive structure has changed somehow.

Innit?

Of course incentives is also part of the picture. Since currently there is no such kind of code, anything can be openly discussed, you can look at Classic where they are trying to make such constitution, to decide on some basic rules that should never change

It can be very specific, for example always 21 million coin supply.  But it can also be very abstract, like to keep the miner incentive intact, for example averagely 50 bitcoins per block forever (This unavoidably will limit the block size)

The constitution is about the part that almost never changes, so that if you disagree with those rules, for example 21M bitcoin, you better leave for another coin

Another part is about the decision making, e.g. how to reach consensus in a community full of different people with different political/culture/religion ideology. There is still no good way to count user's opinion, using hash power voting is not a really good method

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 06:39:03 PM

Innit?

Of course incentives is also part of the picture. Since currently there is no such kind of code, anything can be openly discussed, you can look at Classic where they are trying to make such constitution, to decide on some basic rules that should never change

It can be very specific, for example always 21 million coin supply.  But it can also be very abstract, like to keep the miner incentive intact, for example averagely 50 bitcoins per block forever (This unavoidably will limit the block size)

The constitution is about the part that almost never changes, so that if you disagree with those rules, for example 21M bitcoin, you better leave for another coin

Another part is about the decision making, e.g. how to reach consensus in a community full of different people with different political/culture/religion ideology. There is still no good way to count user's opinion, using hash power voting is not a really good method

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Prohibited_changes

That's a half-truth. Angry

I'm sorry, care to elaborate?

Fatty's not a shill.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 06:41:00 PM

The most important is the decision making mechanism

Current mess is caused by that there is no decision making mechanism, so that all the design happens without first have a consensus based decision. When the design finished, programmers find out that there is no miners interested in their solution, this result in waste of time and human resource

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 06:43:37 PM

Current mess is caused by that there is no decision making mechanism, so that all the design happens without first have a consensus based decision. When the design finished, programmers find out that there is no miners interested in their solution, this result in waste of time and human resource

But that's what BIP's are for.

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 06:47:15 PM

BIP's  are design proposals, but how are they get approved? That's decision making mechanism

Currently they are approved by the 5 core devs that have Git commit right, but their approval does not mean the approval of miners and other interested community members. And this is especially problematic when those 5 core devs have a conflict of interest themselves

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 06:50:52 PM

BIP's  are design proposals, but how are they get approved? That's decision making mechanism

Currently they are approved by the 5 core devs that have Git commit right, but their approval does not mean the approval of miners and other interested community members. And this is especially problematic when those 5 core devs have a conflict of interest

Conflict of interest is a problem in principle. I agree. But there's no such thing as an unbiased position.

Can you elaborate on the specific conflicts?

Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 06:58:46 PM

Currently they are approved by the 5 core devs that have Git commit right, but their approval does not mean the approval of miners and other interested community members. And this is especially problematic when those 5 core devs have a conflict of interest themselves
Not quite. First of all, git commit access is not a privilege at all - it is only a job of merging things which has passed peer review.
Secondly, BIPs do not require approval from any Core devs.

Most BIPs simply need approval from multiple software projects (Core or otherwise) which implement them. For example, lots of wallets implement BIP 13 (p2sh address format), and a number of mining programs implement BIP 22 (getblocktemplate).

Softfork BIPs need approval from a supermajority of miners. For example, BIP 65 not long ago was adopted by 95% of the network hashrate.

Hardfork BIPs need approval from everyone using Bitcoin. The only hardfork ever in the history of Bitcoin was in the aftermath of the 2013 crisis, with no argument against it whatsoever. We do not yet have a single example of a hardfork deployed in non-crisis situations or by planned agreement in advance, much less a contentious hardfork that has successfully been forced on a subset of the community.

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 07:01:37 PM

Conflict of interest is a problem in principle. I agree. But there's no such thing as an unbiased position.

Can you elaborate on the specific conflicts?

Just because conflict of interest will always happen in a community full of libertarian type of people, you can not use traditional top-down model decision making mechanism

Consensus decision making model has been promoted before the HongKong conference, but judging from that conference, everyone is working on their own agenda blindly

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 07:09:33 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2016, 07:27:02 PM by johnyj

Not quite. First of all, git commit access is not a privilege at all - it is only a job of merging things which has passed peer review.
Secondly, BIPs do not require approval from any Core devs.

Most BIPs simply need approval from multiple software projects (Core or otherwise) which implement them. For example, lots of wallets implement BIP 13 (p2sh address format), and a number of mining programs implement BIP 22 (getblocktemplate).

Softfork BIPs need approval from a supermajority of miners. For example, BIP 65 not long ago was adopted by 95% of the network hashrate.

Hardfork BIPs need approval from everyone using Bitcoin. The only hardfork ever in the history of Bitcoin was in the aftermath of the 2013 crisis, with no argument against it whatsoever. We do not yet have a single example of a hardfork deployed in non-crisis situations or by planned agreement in advance, much less a contentious hardfork that has successfully been forced on a subset of the community.

Of course it is not a strict benevolent dictator type of management, but still those changes are seldom communicated well with miners before they are implemented

Soft fork can cause unprepared hard fork, the July 04 fork is an example. It indicated that miners don't fully understand the consequence of BIP66, that is because they did not took part in the decision making process of BIP 66, thus they blindly follow the recommendation from core devs, and as a result, lost lots of coins

achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2016, 08:07:23 PM

Of course it is not a strict benevolent dictator type of management, but still those changes are seldom communicated well with miners before they are implemented

Soft fork can cause unprepared hard fork, the July 04 fork is an example. It indicated that miners don't fully understand the consequence of BIP66, that is because they did not took part in the decision making process of BIP 66, thus they blindly follow the recommendation from core devs, and as a result, lost lots of coins
What do you mean they did not take part in the decision making? Of course they did, that was how the fork happened, when most of the miners supported BIP66 by producing the properly versioned blocks. It is just that they were SPV mining so they didn't check the validity of the invalid block they mined on which is what caused the fork. What does that have to do with then not participating the decision making?

Besides, Wang Chun, the operator of F2pool, actively participates in development. He posts on the mailing list, sometimes on IRC, and sometimes on Github. He is definitely a part of the decision making process. I'm sure that several other large pool operators do the same, I just don't know their names.

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 08:49:49 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2016, 09:07:22 PM by johnyj

What do you mean they did not take part in the decision making? Of course they did, that was how the fork happened, when most of the miners supported BIP66 by producing the properly versioned blocks. It is just that they were SPV mining so they didn't check the validity of the invalid block they mined on which is what caused the fork. What does that have to do with then not participating the decision making?

Besides, Wang Chun, the operator of F2pool, actively participates in development. He posts on the mailing list, sometimes on IRC, and sometimes on Github. He is definitely a part of the decision making process. I'm sure that several other large pool operators do the same, I just don't know their names.

If they really actively participated in the decision making process of BIP66, they would have known that BIP66 might create a hard fork, thus they will reject BIP66 from the beginning. Or do much more preparation to prevent such a hard fork from happening. Just like we are now discussing the hard fork that Segwit soft fork could generate

The problem is technical and language barrier, so that miners might never reach same level of understanding like core devs, thus there must be enough good communication to be sure they are totally clear of all the consequences of a change. In fact even core devs themselves can not see all the possible attack vector if the solution is too complex

But this is too technical, basically the communication between core devs and rest of the community is broken because of the technical and complexity barrier, but as long as this barrier is there, there is no way to reach consensus, thus the way to reach consensus becomes politics/culture/religion. I guess that if some day Arabic countries control majority of hash power, only Muslim devs code will get their support  Grin

Technical barrier is usually used in centralized organizations to enforce their decision. But in bitcoin community, it has exactly opposite effect, e.g. it makes sure that no consensus thus no decision can be made

Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 09:08:26 PM

If they really actively participated in the decision making process of BIP66, they would have known that BIP66 might create a hard fork, thus they will reject BIP66 from the beginning.
BIP66 could not and did not create a hard fork.

hdbuck
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 09:12:41 PM

If they really actively participated in the decision making process of BIP66, they would have known that BIP66 might create a hard fork, thus they will reject BIP66 from the beginning.
BIP66 could not and did not create a hard fork.

pretty sloppy tho:

http://www.contravex.com/2015/07/04/bitcoins-4th-of-july-independence-from-america-day/

no more americans  Angry
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 10:43:10 PM

Some Chinese translations of current sentiments on Classic-

https://bitcoinzh.com/chinese-response-to-bitcoin-classic-hard-fork/

Quote from: 8btc.com
BitcoinZH Introduction: Disappointment with Gavin's failure to support the Chinese 90%/2MB proposal, and offense caused by his concerns around miner centralization mark a lukewarm response to Bitcoin Classic on 8btc.com

https://bitcoinzh.com/has-anyone-upgraded-to-bitcoin-classic/

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 11:03:25 PM

BitcoinZH Introduction: Disappointment with Gavin's failure to support the Chinese 90%/2MB proposal, and offense caused by his concerns around miner centralization mark a lukewarm response to Bitcoin Classic on 8btc.com

I'm a notorious big blocks shill (it seems) and even I think 75% is too low.

Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 11:22:07 PM

I'm a notorious big blocks shill (it seems) and even I think 75% is too low.

There'll be a lot of cat herding for 90%. And I cannot think of anyone in the Bitcoin community who doesn't cause offense consistently.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: