Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:51:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My wife is a hero: mom shoots intruder 5 times, saves kids  (Read 9402 times)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 04:26:31 PM

lol how did this thread turn to construction? It does make you think though? How the hell can we keep our homes secure against hurricanes and tsunamis? I wonder if steel is a good option? Though that seems like it would have problems as well.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 04:43:48 PM

lol how did this thread turn to construction? It does make you think though? How the hell can we keep our homes secure against hurricanes and tsunamis? I wonder if steel is a good option? Though that seems like it would have problems as well.

The places that are serious about storms build their houses (or at least one room) with cinder block walls, reinforced with rebar, and filled with concrete. Next best thing to digging into the side of a mountain.

Safety from a tsunami actually requires a whole different design strategy: make way for the water.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 10:22:51 PM

The places that are serious about storms build their houses (or at least one room) with cinder block walls, reinforced with rebar, and filled with concrete. Next best thing to digging into the side of a mountain.

Safety from a tsunami actually requires a whole different design strategy: make way for the water.

The truth is that for the vast majority of us, it's not worth making our homes secure from hurricanes and tsunamis. I'm probably more likely to be killed on my way home tonight than I am of ever being killed by a hurricane in my home.

And a tsunami would have to be going some to reach Tennessee. Cheesy

myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 11:05:36 PM

The truth is that for the vast majority of us, it's not worth making our homes secure from hurricanes and tsunamis. I'm probably more likely to be killed on my way home tonight than I am of ever being killed by a hurricane in my home.

And a tsunami would have to be going some to reach Tennessee. Cheesy

Especially if you're in western TN. If you get hit there with a Tsunami, we've got bigger problems.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:09:31 AM

btw, what do you pay for a house made of foam (board)?
pick a size, i dont know whats common in the us, 1500sq?
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 01:40:43 AM

in light of new evidence, i withdraw my proposal to use a mp7 pdw for home defense purposes. in order to limit damage to your property, owners of *cough*...houses...similiar to the one above should consider something with more appropriate penetration capabilities.

and buy some end-cutting pliers. you dont want to pull those of the wall....
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 01:46:09 AM

Thanks for that, fornit... I haven't laughed that much all day.

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 08:10:21 AM

I'm sure you also know that women, who tend to be physically weaker, not only benefit more from the addition of a firearm, but also benefit more often, being the target of violence more often than men.

I know you've said that women 'tend' to be physically weaker but I'm someone who attends a martial arts club where there's a twelve year old girl who could easily kick your arse LOL I think it's just a general perception that's been drilled into our heads really, the problem is everyone is different so there's no real way to say whether this is true or not, the only thing that is 100% certain is that female muscles are of a different shape than men.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 02:32:19 PM

I'm sure you also know that women, who tend to be physically weaker, not only benefit more from the addition of a firearm, but also benefit more often, being the target of violence more often than men.

I know you've said that women 'tend' to be physically weaker but I'm someone who attends a martial arts club where there's a twelve year old girl who could easily kick your arse LOL I think it's just a general perception that's been drilled into our heads really, the problem is everyone is different so there's no real way to say whether this is true or not, the only thing that is 100% certain is that female muscles are of a different shape than men.

Well, of course. exceptions don't disprove a tendency. Not every woman can be a black belt, though, and I bet a fully grown man, at the same level of skill, can beat that 12 year old. The point is:

Little old lady, armed with knife, vs street tough, armed with knife: advantage: street tough.
Little old lady, armed with gun, vs street tough, armed with gun: fair fight.

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 02:37:11 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2013, 02:55:53 PM by Lethn

Human weapon is a crappy example for martial arts, but what if the old lady knows ninjitsu knife fighting? Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlq2gw4LnIg

Go to 5:13

Cheesy and I know the point, but it's daft, speaking as someone who's been doing martial arts for around 8 years there is no way to tell just from physical appearance whether a person is capable of winning a fight or not.

Edit: I finally found an awesome example, there's this guy who my teachers learned a lot from called Sensei Kase, he's dead now but on first glance you would never think he could do any martial arts at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXZZ4NOY9aI - sorry about the crappy music, but this was one of the only decent videos of him demonstrating I could find, he completely knocks about a guy far fitter than he is when he's being attacked.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 02:53:39 PM

Human weapon is a crappy example for martial arts, but what if the old lady knows ninjitsu knife fighting? Tongue

And what if the street tough also knows ninjutsu knife fighting?

The point is, if you leave it to hand-to-hand, the advantage leans heavily in favor of the aggressor, who, by virtue of making his living through beating people up, has a vested interest in being the stronger.

Or, as an old advertising slogan put it:
 "God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 02:56:48 PM

That's true, but my point is that that kind of thing isn't dependent on a persons gender or physical fitness etc. Tongue
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 03:07:48 PM

That's true, but my point is that that kind of thing isn't dependent on a persons gender or physical fitness etc. Tongue

And a gun completely removes gender or physical fitness from the equation - totally ignores them in determining who wins the fight. Something no hand-to-hand fighting style or weapon can claim.

And which is easier to do, achieve 15th dan black belt, or learn how to hit a melon-sized target at 30 ft?

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 03:12:58 PM

lolz I get what you're on about, shooting is easier most of the time but honestly, there are so many factors to think about when it comes to this kind of thing it's like with arguing about the newtown shooting etc. it's just a never ending cycle of hypotheticals, I can just as easily come up with a counter argument to what you're saying as with mine.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 03:31:45 PM

I found an example on the web, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Wow, I've seen a couple like that, I just assumed that the foam was insulation and was just yet to be covered by the board.

I have to say, I'm not fond of a lot of modern houses. Modern materials and techniques look like they've just come out of the printer from the CAD program, none of that slight non-uniformity that gives a house character.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 04:07:19 PM

lolz I get what you're on about, shooting is easier most of the time but honestly, there are so many factors to think about when it comes to this kind of thing it's like with arguing about the newtown shooting etc. it's just a never ending cycle of hypotheticals, I can just as easily come up with a counter argument to what you're saying as with mine.

Not really. The best you can really say is that they might have a gun, too, and that still makes it a fair fight.

If I had to pick one single thing which did the most to bring about the Renaissance, it would be firearms. Cannon destroyed the age of the castle, and hand-held firearms destroyed the age of the armored knight. Without those, feudalism was doomed.

elektibi75

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 11:34:29 AM

Nice one mom`s Cheesy

█ DARFChain █ DARFChain - smart escrow engine, based on proof-of-accounting consensus █....
▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
• Whitepaper • ANN Thread • Telegram • Facebook • Reddit • Slack • YouTube • VK
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 05:11:37 PM

How dare anyone suggest people don't have the right to keep and bear arms?

I'd love to see them suggest such a thing to Mrs. Herman and Sarah McKinley.  But they won't, because they basically are complete and total cowards.

Georgia mom shoots intruder 5 times in face, hides children
http://myfox8.com/2013/01/06/ga-mom-shoots-intruder-5-times-saves-children/
A Georgia mother hid her two 9-year-old twins and shot an intruder several times during a home invasion

“My wife is a hero. She protected her kids. She did what she was supposed to do as responsible, prepared gun owner,” Donnie Herman told WSB-TV.

Young Oklahoma Mom Shoots Intruder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw4B_XbW7ds
19-year-old with a baby says 911 operator told her to "do what you need to do."

If you refuse to protect your kids from harm (including becoming orphans), you are the shittiest failed parent ever.

Thank you for posting this.

We almost never hear of stories like this in the establishment-controlled mainstream media. Wonder why that is...
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 03:07:15 AM

Sorry, but thats just sick.
Noone except the law enforcement should be allowed to carry weapons...

If i have the chance and time to shoot 6 bullets in head and NECK of someone else i cant be in mortal danger - hence the use of arms is unjustified.

Well, right there you've asserted the lady is better off dead.

Then you have erred in your inferences as to the meaning of the 6 bullets.

Many handgun instructors suggest to empty the gun into the bad guy.  Many documented cases where the bad guy kept coming after being shot multiple times.

Stick to talking about things you know about please.

Oh, and by the way, many in "law enforcement" are not adept with weapons (and neither should they be).  Many qualify by a range test with 50 shells once a year.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 02:27:47 PM

Let me summarize this thread:

1) We are so unhappy with our deep mental illnesses and lack of respect for life, we think the act of killing alone is heroism.

2) When somebody knocks on your door, stay quiet and hide in the closet with a weapon.

3) The purpose of the right to bear arms is to protect us from petty thieves. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: