Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:02:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: 280 BTC total bets between Micon and mrb (are BFL ASICs real?)  (Read 46360 times)
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:29:31 PM

Ok, dooglus works for me, let's do it.

Can you PM me your email address?

I got the PM and have now emailed code A to Micon and code B to CrazyBlane.  Those start with einva and einvb.

They now both need to get casascius' btcaddress program:
  http://casascius.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/bitcoin-address-utility/

You'll maybe need to install the .NET stuff (or Mono if you're not on a Microsoft system) to get it to run.

Then open the 1st menu, 'Tools', and pick the last entry, 'Escrow Tools'.

One of you (it doesn't matter which, but you should agree who) needs to 'Be a Payee', put in the code I sent you, and 'Generate Payment Invitation'.  That will give you a new code P (starts with einvp).  You send that to the guy you're betting against, and he uses it on the 'Be a Payer' tab.  You both should see the same bitcoin address.  Confirm here that you both see the same one.  That's where you'll send your stakes.

To claim the money, you need 3 codes (A, B, P).

I have A and B.
Micon will have A and P.
CrazyBlane will have B and P.

so none of us can get at the money without cooperating with one of the others.  That's how the escrow works.

Ideally Micon and CrazyBlane will agree who won; the loser will give his code (A or B) to the winner, and I don't need to get involved.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:32:44 AM

Pretty neat idea, I like it.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 03:28:31 AM

Pretty neat idea, I like it.

It's clever isn't it?  I can decide who wins if you two can't, but I can't get my hands on your coins.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 04:16:26 AM

Addresses match, I've deposited 5 coins. Good luck sir!
Address:
1G3hsvYUArCZphrSvj3Kux5X3GQH6aHqG6

Transaction details for my deposit:
https://blockchain.info/tx/dc21110e2165e7e9f28476ae860fb3552a28a5c902d86a847a2da5d6821a49ef

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 04:33:39 AM

Addresses match, I've deposited 5 coins. Good luck sir!
Address:
1G3hsvYUArCZphrSvj3Kux5X3GQH6aHqG6

Transaction details for my deposit:
https://blockchain.info/tx/dc21110e2165e7e9f28476ae860fb3552a28a5c902d86a847a2da5d6821a49ef

shipped as well.  10 coins in the addy:

https://blockchain.info/address/1G3hsvYUArCZphrSvj3Kux5X3GQH6aHqG6

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
mrb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:41:23 AM

Micon, I am willing to put up a bet on the same terms as SgtSpike's last bet, with 100 BTC each.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:46:27 AM

It is unbelievable to me the amount of fail that is going to go into not only mrb and I almost assuredly losing our original bets on BFL, but possibly also SgtSpike. Congrats Micon, while I won't officially concede at this point, I think it's pretty unlikely that we'll meet 350MH/J given that Josh has said expect 170MH/J. SgtSpike should be safe baring BFL catastrophe, but who knows at this point.

I expect at least a shoutout as a sponsor if you make the November Nine from my bet. Tongue
Micon
Legendary

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 06:10:08 AM

Micon, I am willing to put up a bet on the same terms as SgtSpike's last bet, with 100 BTC each.

let's get a new set of escrow codes and you have a bet

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:11:46 AM

Casascius recently drew my attention to this site:

http://www.bitescrow.org/

It implements his escrow system in an offline web page so you don't need to mess with Mono or .NET.

let's get a new set of escrow codes and you have a bet

mrb: I can provide an escrow code if you're happy for me to escrow the bet.  PM me your email address and (optionally) your GPG public key.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Micon
Legendary

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 06:39:56 AM

It is unbelievable to me the amount of fail that is going to go into not only mrb and I almost assuredly losing our original bets on BFL, but possibly also SgtSpike. Congrats Micon, while I won't officially concede at this point, I think it's pretty unlikely that we'll meet 350MH/J given that Josh has said expect 170MH/J. SgtSpike should be safe baring BFL catastrophe, but who knows at this point.

I expect at least a shoutout as a sponsor if you make the November Nine from my bet. Tongue

MrTeal I feel your pain as you have supported BFL for so long.

If you would like a small rebate, and I will ensure the bet won, send me your envi-code & a hash to micon@sealswithclubs.eu within the next 24 hours and I'll send you back 5 coins.

No worries if you do not want to do this and sweat the remaining 14 days.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:02:28 PM

MrTeal I feel your pain as you have supported BFL for so long.

If you would like a small rebate, and I will ensure the bet won, send me your envi-code & a hash to micon@sealswithclubs.eu within the next 24 hours and I'll send you back 5 coins.

No worries if you do not want to do this and sweat the remaining 14 days.

LOL... I definitely wouldn't call myself a BFL supporter. I did make a preorder with them, but I also had one with bASIC and would have bought an Avalon if I was ever able to be online for their botched sales. Tongue
I made the bets because in early February when we made the bet I thought there while their mid to late February timeline was BS, there was better than a 50% chance of them shipping by the end of March so a 1:1 bet made sense. Obviously they blew that pretty badly. The second bet was a little more questionable, 2:1 odds were good on what seemed like reasonable chance that they could meet some sort of deadline. I do admit that my judgement was clouded by wanting to chase back the coins I'd already lost though. By the end of March they had functioning prototypes even if they had some issues. A month lead time should be more than sufficient to do a couple board revs and get units out the door, but they're cutting it close. I still think there's a decent chance they'll get out the 3 units they need to satisfy the bet by the end of April now that they're resigned to shipping what they have, but the power specification looks like it's almost a lost cause.

I'll think about that offer today and might take you up on it.
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:47:01 PM

mrb: I can provide an escrow code if you're happy for me to escrow the bet.  PM me your email address and (optionally) your GPG public key.

I've sent escrow codes to Micon and mrb.

I'll quote the terms of the recent bets here as a hedge against future shenanigans:

BFL will ship out at least 3 ASIC mining devices capable of at least 150MH/s per watt to at least 3 customers (at least 1 device per customer) who post pix & verify hashrate by 12:01am EST 7/1.  No BFL-employee or anyone that has been to BFL labs personally to settle the 3 customers pix & hashrate.  If BFL ships a device that does not meet the power specification, but then does ship out at least 3 ASIC mining devices meeting the above criteria before the deadline, then SgtSpike wins the bet.

I would like to move forward on our measly 5 BTC bet with the same terms written above. Are we using Escrow?

I'm assuming we replace 'SgtSpike' with 'CrazyBlane' or 'mrb' in the quoted paragraph.  Having SgtSpike win those 2 bets on a technicality would suck.  Smiley

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:04:47 PM

I've sent escrow codes to Micon and mrb.

I'll quote the terms of the recent bets here as a hedge against future shenanigans:

BFL will ship out at least 3 ASIC mining devices capable of at least 150MH/s per watt to at least 3 customers (at least 1 device per customer) who post pix & verify hashrate by 12:01am EST 7/1.  No BFL-employee or anyone that has been to BFL labs personally to settle the 3 customers pix & hashrate.  If BFL ships a device that does not meet the power specification, but then does ship out at least 3 ASIC mining devices meeting the above criteria before the deadline, then SgtSpike wins the bet.

I would like to move forward on our measly 5 BTC bet with the same terms written above. Are we using Escrow?

I'm assuming we replace 'SgtSpike' with 'CrazyBlane' or 'mrb' in the quoted paragraph.  Having SgtSpike win those 2 bets on a technicality would suck.  Smiley
Lol, I would never try to collect on something like that.  It's obvious that the intention is for a bet between CrazyBlane and Micon, and doesn't involve me at all.  But sure, it's probably better to get all ducks in a row.
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:48:10 PM

Lol, I would never try to collect on something like that.  It's obvious that the intention is for a bet between CrazyBlane and Micon, and doesn't involve me at all.  But sure, it's probably better to get all ducks in a row.

Yeah, I was mostly just trying to be funny.  I think the intention is pretty clear.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 06:55:19 PM

While not really surprising given the character quality of the bettors, it's refreshing to see you fellas behaving honorably. If only some of it would rub off on the company in question.

Micon
Legendary

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 07:04:27 PM

I'll think about that offer today and might take you up on it.

cool, you have a few more hrs to take me up on it.  Seems generous on my part, but do respect the degen
While not really surprising given the character quality of the bettors, it's refreshing to see you fellas behaving honorably. If only some of it would rub off on the company in question.

don't hold your breath IMO Smiley

Yeah, I was mostly just trying to be funny.  I think the intention is pretty clear.

I'm sure this won't be an issue, CrazyBlane seems reasonable.  I will state at this stage that I'm obviously betting that BFL won't ship by 7/1.  won't be an issue

I have escrow code from Dooglus, I have generated the payment invitation for you and have generated a hash

1Dtf7TrZrQr7QooVGoKfd99rxHNoikQ3EH

please PM me an email Mrb (sorry if I already have it) and I'll send you the envi-code securely

mrb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 08:13:12 PM

Micon: pm'd
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:14:23 PM

While this thread has been up and down in terms of entertainment value, one of the most actually interesting aspects of it is the implementation in the real world of this escrow concept, which could be easily used for non-gambling contracts and effectively be self-enforcing.  Conceivably, practices like this could cull the herd of the worst scammers, without the inefficiencies of the court system, that has so far prevented these scammers from being prosecuted and allowed them to steal at will.

Of course, as the real value of trusted arbitrators increased, it might be they eventually would cost as much as real judges and mediators.
Micon
Legendary

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 09:18:18 PM

Micon: pm'd

email'd envi-code

While this thread has been up and down in terms of entertainment value, one of the most actually interesting aspects of it is the implementation in the real world of this escrow concept, which could be easily used for non-gambling contracts and effectively be self-enforcing.  Conceivably, practices like this could cull the herd of the worst scammers, without the inefficiencies of the court system, that has so far prevented these scammers from being prosecuted and allowed them to steal at will.

Of course, as the real value of trusted arbitrators increased, it might be they eventually would cost as much as real judges and mediators.

IMO trusted users like dooglus should make a small % acting as escrow.  could btc-address could easily add functionality to send a small % to the escrow agent once the bet was settled?   most times the escrow would automatically make the small commish, occasionally a big fiasco would arise and a real determination would need to be made.  That is where the escrow earns all those small %'s over time IMO.

dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:40:03 PM

IMO trusted users like dooglus should make a small % acting as escrow.  could btc-address could easily add functionality to send a small % to the escrow agent once the bet was settled?   most times the escrow would automatically make the small commish, occasionally a big fiasco would arise and a real determination would need to be made.  That is where the escrow earns all those small %'s over time IMO.

Perhaps a website could be set up which issues escrow codes automatically once two people agree on a contract.  You both get to edit the contract on the site, and once you both agree, it gives you your escrow codes, one each, and keeps a copy of the codes, GPG encrypted to my private key.  So even if someone gains unauthorised access to the site's database, they don't get to see the escrow codes.

That should allow for fully automatic escrowed betting (and trading of all kinds) where I only have to get involved in the event of a dispute.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: