Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:25:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Perpetual motion device - Free Energy - Do you believe in it?  (Read 13951 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:30:48 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2013, 05:42:14 PM by 420

How much would you bet that it works or doesnt?

This topic is aimed at mainly:
myrkul
Rassah

Is this video a scam?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6Qait2JGY#t=3m12s

and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJdLA4w3w58

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:41:29 PM

It's not a scam, perpetual motion has been modeled a lot in the past, and for the most part can work, like those plastic birds with that liquid in them, that always go down and up.

The hardship comes in harvesting that free energy. See how at first the little metal piece flies off? Imagine that happening in an electric output battery for a big city, an explosion would ensue, the ground would shake violently, then the city loses power and everyone thinks it's a terrorist attack. Or the end of the world if your town is religious.

It's not a scam, but using magnetism would not be profitable since at some point itcan stop spinning without flying off.

So his piece isn't exactly perpetual.

[Edit] Not a fan of "free perp. energy". I'd much rather huge tesla coils shoot lightning at a big anntennae at our houses periodically and all electric devices can usewirless electricity. I fucking hate chords

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
420 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:43:22 PM

It's not a scam, perpetual motion has been modeled a lot in the past, and for the most part can work, like those plastic birds with that liquid in them, that always go down and up.

The hardship comes in harvesting that free energy. See how at first the little metal piece flies off? Imagine that happening in an electric output battery for a big city, an explosion would ensue, the ground would shake violently, then the city loses power and everyone thinks it's a terrorist attack. Or the end of the world if your town is religious.

It's not a scam, but using magnetism would not be profitable since at some point itcan stop spinning without flying off.

So his piece isn't exactly perpetual.

[Edit] Not a fan of "free perp. energy". I'd much rather huge tesla coils shoot lightning at a big anntennae at our houses periodically and all electric devices can usewirless electricity. I fucking hate chords

see new vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJdLA4w3w58

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:49:01 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2013, 09:54:13 PM by nimda

We have something called the Laws of Thermodynamics. Note: they're not even theories; they're laws.
In a perfectly friction-less vacuum, perpetual motion is possible, but not harvesting energy from the system. In this case, it's probably complete bullshit.

I bet it's bullshit. Even if it's not, it's certainly not "free energy."
Those stop eventually. They run out of water.
420 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:51:54 PM

Thats the point I was looking for. It may move now but the magnet wears out...and the magnet had to be built and charged which is basically like the 'fuel' of the equation

anyway I'd like to build one and see how long it'd run then

nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 05:56:58 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2013, 09:54:32 PM by nimda

It would depend on your magnet, assuming the video isn't as fake as the other one ("see new vid" -- electricity is coming from under the table or a hidden magnet). I've killed magnets in a matter of months before, and that was just performing party tricks. (One surefire way to kill your magnet is to do that "levitation" trick, then weigh down the floating one).

Presumably there's some heat coming out of this too; anyone who's roasted a magnet over a fire will tell you that the magnet dies.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 06:12:40 PM

Already debunked as a motor powered by a voltage across the nails.

I gotta admit, this one took me a few seconds to figure out. But then I remembered induction. There's another coil underneath the table, hooked up to a power supply. Current flowing in that coil induces a current flow in this one, powering the bulb. It's the same way the wireless charging on the newer phones work.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
rizzla

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:19:20 PM

Perpetual motion devices using magnets are not perpetual beacuse magnets wear out.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 06:32:23 PM

How those work is actually very simple, and pretty interesting. It's a heat engine, using a temperature gradient between the head and the butt of the bird to alternately condense and evaporate a liquid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_bird

If a glass of water is placed so that the beak dips into it on its descent, the bird will continue to absorb water and the cycle will continue as long as there is enough water in the glass to keep the head wet. However, the bird will continue to dip even without a source of water, as long as the head is wet, or as long as a temperature differential is maintained between the head and body. This differential can be generated without evaporative cooling in the head; for instance, a heat source directed at the bottom bulb will create a pressure differential between top and bottom that will drive the engine. The ultimate source of energy is the temperature gradient between the toy's head and base; the toy is not a perpetual motion machine.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
420 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:34:23 PM

oh now if I even set up perpetual motion there'll be claims i'm using 'wireless power'

myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 06:36:59 PM

oh now if I even set up perpetual motion there'll be claims i'm using 'wireless power'

Set it up on a glass table, with enough framing that we can see there aren't any hidden power sources.

01BTC10
VIP

Merit: 503

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:41:49 PM

Pretty sure second video use induction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYqAxeyc3bw
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 06:43:49 PM

Set it up on a glass table, with enough framing that we can see there aren't any hidden power sources.

meh, could still be powered by IR or UV laser..
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 06:48:35 PM

We'd see the pickups for that, it would look a bit like an LED.

Oh, and 420, be sure to include schematics. It's not science if it's not reproducible.

mobodick

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 07:09:04 PM

We'd see the pickups for that, it would look a bit like an LED.

There are paints that look metallc-grey in the visible spectrum but are transparent in the uv or ir.
So it could have easily been build into the device.

But my point was maybe more that you cannot tell anything from a youtube video.
You see a small part of what could otherwise be (and with these things usually is) a controlled environment.
In all propability this is indeed just induction. But you have to keep in mind that it does not have to be.
So even if it is then demonstrated that it could not have been simple coil induction then you already know it can still be a trick.
That's how you have to think with these kinds of people.

A rule of thumb is: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
None of these free-energy types has come up with any evidence so far.
I think you can safely dismiss any youtube videos about free energy without actually watching them..

myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 07:28:08 PM

I think you can safely dismiss any youtube videos about free energy without actually watching them..

Probably true. Key to science, though, is an open mind. If you dismiss all claims without even looking at the evidence, you could miss something groundbreaking. That's why I requested schematics. If I can build it myself, and it works, pulling energy out of thin air, I'll believe it.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 08:23:27 PM

The first one is obviously fake.  The coil speeds up.  There's probably a battery hidden in the wood block, making a simple motor.  Also, monopole magnets aren't known to exist.

Listen, I'll save you some time.  This is the closest you will come to finding a legitimate magnetic "free energy" device on Youtube.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2013, 08:45:43 PM

From my own research there doesn't really seem to be such a thing as free/infinite energy, we can make it very cheap or you can have lots and lots of it like if you power something from the sun or with water, the problem with all this stuff like perpetual motion is that it does work on a small scale but you have to look at it from an industrial point of view because people want thousands of kilowatts to power cities. Oil and Nuclear are more popular options because of how much easier it is to get that kind of thing going, that said I can understand oil because all you do is dig that out of the ground and burn it after you prepare it but with Nuclear? It's the equivalent of having a nuclear bomb sitting next to your house and I just think that's insane.

All these ideas are for the most part already there, but particularly with sun and wind they're horribly inefficient because when you want to have something powered constantly you can't really have things like weather dictating how much power you're capable of generating if you want to do stuff long term with it. A lot of these people posting the 'free energy' crap on youtube I think are people who are just learning about science and have no idea what they're talking about, either that or they are probably trying to scam you like you think.
mobodick

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 08:48:57 PM

Probably true. Key to science, though, is an open mind. If you dismiss all claims without even looking at the evidence, you could miss something groundbreaking. That's why I requested schematics. If I can build it myself, and it works, pulling energy out of thin air, I'll believe it.

If you invented a free energy machine you would not present the evidence in a youtube video...
There are many places that would gladly investigate such claim so there are enough ways for thee people to verify it actually works how they thin it works.
Again, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
In this respect a youtube video is useless unless it provides verifyable data collected blindly over many trials. Which is much more convenient to do in text so usually people write papers. And that is when you know you can at least put some effort into taking it seriously...
You simply cannot prove this stuff with a youtube demonstration.

About keeping an open mind, you would be way better off just reading some physics books as the whole playingfield of these quacks has been thoroughly mapped out decades ago by science and there was no free energy found despite the scrutiny. There just is no thing like free energy in a closed system on our macro level. There is a slight possibility there is a source of free energy at the absolute lowest quantum level but that happens at a scale of 10^-37m or something like that. Interfacing with something so small requires you to use tools operating at that level. Needless to say that any macroscopic ontraption could never be precise enough.
All these people playing around with macroscopic objects will never ever be able to magically tap energy out of thin air. It is just not how our univers happens to work.
So unless someone opens a 52th dimentional portal to c'thuluville they just cant be talking about really getting free energy and i'm not taking it serously.
mobodick

View Profile
January 12, 2013, 08:52:09 PM

The first one is obviously fake.  The coil speeds up.  There's probably a battery hidden in the wood block, making a simple motorAlso, monopole magnets aren't known to exist.

Listen, I'll save you some time.  This is the closest you will come to finding a legitimate magnetic "free energy" device on Youtube.

Not by themselfs, no.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: