Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:47:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are you switching or quitting?
I'm switching to BFL - 22 (17.1%)
I'm quitting - 36 (27.9%)
I'm ordering from Avalon after CNY - 17 (13.2%)
I'm staying with bASIC - 11 (8.5%)
I'm waiting to see what companies produce before purchasing - 43 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 129

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bASIC customers - Are you quitting or switching?  (Read 3768 times)
jamesg (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 10:04:02 PM

With Avalon a week from shipping, I'm just hoping I don't pee my pants in anticipation waiting for it.

I hope the only reason for Avalon being silent and not having a demo is because they are busy packaging working products.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 10:04:30 PM

I urge everyone not to overreact. If everyone cancels their orders, I can see Tom having trouble paying everyone back. Keep this in mind... I'd rather get a late ASIC than nothing at all and no refund.

At this point I think the chances of bASIC delivering an ASIC product ever are near zero.

IMO, The only way bASIC can succeed is if Tom steps down and hands the project off.  I don't think he's going to do that.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 11:14:34 PM

I urge everyone not to overreact. If everyone cancels their orders, I can see Tom having trouble paying everyone back. Keep this in mind... I'd rather get a late ASIC than nothing at all and no refund.

At this point I think the chances of bASIC delivering an ASIC product ever are near zero.

IMO, The only way bASIC can succeed is if Tom steps down and hands the project off.  I don't think he's going to do that.

Why do you think the project is even salvageable?

Why do you ppl trust this "good man" with this ASIC project. Hes not an engineer (technically dumb if i recall back when he started mining venture). Sure he can hire engineers but be honest to yourself, this is not assembling some off the shelf parts.

Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 11:37:19 PM

It may well not be salvageable.  Even if a team with the right talent, resources, and credibility were to step in immediately and Tom were to give full cooperation, succeeding would be an uphill battle.

And that's only if the chips are usable, which is a very big if.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:05:44 AM

Ill be switching to whoever at least shows working product....
I wont order till they be shipping, this preorder scammy shit is BS. Now, I have no idea if I will be gettin back my BTC from bASIC or not since theyve become shady now...Im so fucking pissed. This is turning into another scam and fast..

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 01:16:03 AM

It may well not be salvageable.  Even if a team with the right talent, resources, and credibility were to step in immediately and Tom were to give full cooperation, succeeding would be an uphill battle.

And that's only if the chips are usable, which is a very big if.

Seemed to me that Lucas (iirc) was about as clear as it gets.  Had a meeting with Tom and found nothing/zero/nada/ziltch of any value.  Certainly no 'chips' regardless of their 'usability', and probably nothing more than some drawings on some napkins.  Sounds like there is nothing to salvage, and even if there was, the performance of the last few days besmirched whatever name Tom had.

If/when another skilled engineer besides the Avalon guy enters the mining space he may as well start from scratch.  Although I could well be fooled, I would trust the new PR guy (buzzdave?) on the basis of his forthright suggestion to go straight to charge-backs, and because he seemed to have been able to get a few people some of their BTC back.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:01:05 AM

In otherwords, yet another fucking scam...

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:25:16 AM

If it is, it's not a very good one.

A good scam doesn't give anyone their money back, unless it's so they can scam even more money.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 03:29:14 AM

A good scam doesn't give anyone their money back, unless it's so they can scam even more money.

Unless you got lucky when you put all the BTC deposits in one wallet and the price risen 20% and take your chances on the CC payments over 90 days old. Minus Dave's wages, there's enough left over to feed a family for a while without having to eat leftovers.
mtminer

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:09:01 AM

Unless you got lucky when you put all the BTC deposits in one wallet and the price risen 20% and take your chances on the CC payments over 90 days old. Minus Dave's wages, there's enough left over to feed a family for a while without having to eat leftovers.

Then why refund 200k of CC orders?
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:15:14 AM

With Avalon a week from shipping, I'm just hoping I don't pee my pants in anticipation waiting for it.

I hope the only reason for Avalon being silent and not having a demo is because they are busy packaging working products.

Your beloved BFL is in the same boat.. (They are planning to ship something like 1 week after chips are done).
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:16:22 AM

I rather call it a business start-up that fails.  I'm sure Tom was truly going after selling working asic system, he just not succeed to do so !z
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:19:05 AM

As I understand things, the credit card companies are not stupid...they keep a hold of enough money to protect themselves against charge-backs.  But I've never (and never wanted) to be on the receiving end of credit cards or pay-pal so I don't know the exact details.

Eventually the credit card companies have to fork over the dough to the vendor.  That's why one needs to request a charge-back within a certain period of time of making a purchase.  Those who missed this window will be shit-outa-luck in being made whole via this mechanism.

I guess if one is scamming via credit-card, one needs to have a way to string people along for long enough for the charge-back window to close.  Like maybe you lose your place in the pre-order queue and miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime mining Bitcoin or something along those lines...

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:43:53 AM

As I understand things, the credit card companies are not stupid...they keep a hold of enough money to protect themselves against charge-backs.  But I've never (and never wanted) to be on the receiving end of credit cards or pay-pal so I don't know the exact details.

Eventually the credit card companies have to fork over the dough to the vendor.  That's why one needs to request a charge-back within a certain period of time of making a purchase.  Those who missed this window will be shit-outa-luck in being made whole via this mechanism.

I guess if one is scamming via credit-card, one needs to have a way to string people along for long enough for the charge-back window to close.  Like maybe you lose your place in the pre-order queue and miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime mining Bitcoin or something along those lines...

This.
Some of the very early BTCFPGA orders are now outside chargeback window - personally I've got about another ten days to do so on mine, but I have one CC order and one BTC order.
Going to see if Dave replies to me tomorrow, so far this is the correspondance:

[13/01/2013 23:39:25] Me: Hello
Just heard the news about BTCFPGA folding - what's the refund situation as of now?
[14/01/2013 00:06:55] David Carlson: trying not to fold it - dealmaking in progress
[14/01/2013 00:07:08] David Carlson: you can submit a refund if you want, or wait to hear the details this week
[14/01/2013 00:09:24] Me: I think I'd rather just pull the plug and get the refund if I'm honest at this point
[14/01/2013 00:10:07] Me: My order numbers were 785 and 1896
Should be an order for one of the low-end units, an upgrade to one of the high end units and an upgrade to DHL shipping
[14/01/2013 00:10:31] David Carlson: please email it all to me - I need it all in one searchable place
[14/01/2013 00:11:17] Me: Cool, I passed a bunch of it to you on the dave@bitcoinasic email earlier
[14/01/2013 00:12:44] David Carlson: ok great
[14/01/2013 00:14:20] Me: It should be
#785 (Credit Card order) - $599.99 for the base unit + $30 shipping.
Shipping upgrade (BTC) - $60 worth of BTC at that time
#1896 (Bitpay Order using BTC) - $470 worth of BTC at that time
[14/01/2013 12:32:31] Me: So, did that get sorted?

Nothing since then... Have emailed too. Will probably have to process a chargeback for the CC part but that still leaves me $530 out of pocket.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:19:24 AM

I was thinking about ordering from bASIC months back, but chose BFL. Out of all the companies, I feel BFL has been up front and honest with their problems and delays (inb4 hate). No chinese new year crap. But actual reasons why they're having trouble getting stuff out the door. Lots of work has been put into it for it just to be a scam. And I could track down a few in the company quite easily if it all was just a scam. As for bASIC and the other companies, I just don't trust them as much as I do BFL. And that is very little at the moment.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 07:00:44 AM

I wonder if dave can even communicate anymore w/ tom ... or has tom run off? Cuz its seemin more n more like tom is runnin off.....

becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 01:22:41 PM

I stayed as long as I could, but this is very upsetting to me. Refund requested. Now it looks like BFL and Avalon.
Read the Manual before you do anything:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=136615.0
Trance104

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:26:45 PM

I would prefer to order from Avalon... Because FUCK BFL.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:46:52 PM

I would prefer to order from Avalon... Because FUCK BFL.
Are they even accepting pre-orders for their 2nd batch?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 06:00:28 PM

I wonder if dave can even communicate anymore w/ tom ... or has tom run off? Cuz its seemin more n more like tom is runnin off.....

Dave's recent update.

Hi everybody - I just wanted you to know that I'm getting your mails - but I can't personally respond to all of them in good time, so I'm posting here.  I've had a major personal upset that has tied me up for two days, so I haven't done the refunds as quickly as you'd like.

Tom called me first thing in the morning to find out what the status on that was and gave me a "friendly push" to get going on them again.  

Tom's sole focus is concentrating on a deal to be agreed upon Friday.  He has set my sole focus to be processing the refund requests in a more timely manner.

I do need a couple days however.  I *have* to be away from the comp from now until tomorrow evening, before I can get back into it.  Again, my apologies to you for the delay.

For the people who've requested refunds, please hang in there - I will be processing them.  Its quickest for me to fly through all the refunds and then post here for folks to check their order status.  I will read all emails and respond to specific ones as necessary.

As soon as I have more news from Friday's meeting, I'll update the forum - thanks again for your patience!

EDIT: I just wanted to add that Tom sounded very upbeat and motivated to see bASIC placed in the hands of a team that can carry it forward to complete his original vision.

Source
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: