Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:35:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [HAVELOCK] SDICE Passthru  (Read 3652 times)
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 07:16:31 PM

Havelock users are possibly less aware, or less interested in the other passthroughs. Trust could still be a factor, but odds are they just don't know about all the other options. That's my guess.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:49:50 PM

Can someone explain why people on Havelock are willing to pay 5-10% more than on BTCTC, MPEX and BitFunder?
It is not that Havelock is more trustworthy or has more other investment opportunities. So why use Havelock and pay more than on any other exchange?

The site is well built & its run by a reputable person. This alone is easily worth 10% over say bitfined or mpex. I dont know about btctc however.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Bowjob

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:52:20 PM

Can someone explain why people on Havelock are willing to pay 5-10% more than on BTCTC, MPEX and BitFunder?
It is not that Havelock is more trustworthy or has more other investment opportunities. So why use Havelock and pay more than on any other exchange?

The site is well built & its run by a reputable person. This alone is easily worth 10% over say bitfined or mpex. I dont know about btctc however.

If MPEX turns out to be a scam (which it isn't) Havelock will be affected since there's a direct link between Havelock and MPEX S.Dice shares.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
lebing
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:58:14 PM

If MPEX turns out to be a scam (which it isn't) Havelock will be affected since there's a direct link between Havelock and MPEX S.Dice shares.

Yeah - I thought it was obvious why people dont use MPEX. 30 coins just for the privilege of using that POS? Yeah, no thanks.

-E Voorhees
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:03:45 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2013, 06:47:47 PM by thoughtfan

I'm wondering again about this substantial price difference between Havelock and MPEx.  Lightbox, on your site you say:

"Units of the fund ARE convertible to shares on MPEX at 1 unit = 100 shares PUSHED to your MPEx account for a fixed fee of 10 BTC per transfer (fee subject to change)."

Is that an automated service or do you have to do that manually.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:50:55 PM

No idea what you mean by bitfined, but since the various PTs are PTs of MPEx you can hardly imagine one'd be "more" trustworthy. At the absolute logical most they're equally trustworthy to MPEx for this application.

Yeah - I thought it was obvious why people dont use MPEX. 30 coins just for the privilege of using that POS? Yeah, no thanks.

It is obvious why you don't use MPEx. People do use it, to the tune of 90% of all BTC finance, actually. Simmer down.

I'm wondering again about this substantial price difference between Havelock and MPEx.  Lightbox, on your site you say:

"Units of the fund ARE convertible to shares on MPEX at 1 unit = 100 shares PUSHED to your MPEx account for a fixed fee of 10 BTC per transfer (fee subject to change)."

Is that an automated service or do you have to do that manually.

If the stock trades on MPEx in the 70s and on Havelock in the 80s, then you need at least 10k shares moved for the price difference to make up that 10 BTC Havelock fee. I guess the explanation may be that "the people" (illustrated above) don't much trade in whole lots.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 06:48:03 PM

Pretty much. I was going to join ages ago, but then I realized that I'd only be trading, what, 3 securities? Talk about diversification  Roll Eyes ..not to mention it looks like a child developed it after reading "HTML for Dummies".

Definitely not worth it unless you're looking to put thousands of bitcoins into one stock without wanting passthroughs to take a cut. The provided security of GPG is also a plus..until another more professional exchange comes along and implements the same thing. Mix that with, oh I don't know, 4 securities to trade and *poof* MPEx is obsolete.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 07:32:30 PM

Pretty much. I was going to join ages ago, but then I realized that I'd only be trading, what, 3 securities? Talk about diversification  Roll Eyes ..not to mention it looks like a child developed it after reading "HTML for Dummies".

Definitely not worth it unless you're looking to put thousands of bitcoins into one stock without wanting passthroughs to take a cut. The provided security of GPG is also a plus..until another more professional exchange comes along and implements the same thing. Mix that with, oh I don't know, 4 securities to trade and *poof* MPEx is obsolete.

Yet another dood that knows better than the experts. You'll blow a hole in your own skull with that shotgun you think you know how to work, sparky.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 08:03:12 PM

Yet another dood that knows better than the experts. You'll blow a hole in your own skull with that shotgun you think you know how to work, sparky.

Ha! Oh MPOE, it looks like you may need to go back and look up the definition of the word Experts. I can always count on you for a good laugh Smiley

I've noticed you seem to be on a "sparky" kick lately as well. Wink

btcsql

Activity: 292

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 09:23:30 PM

As someone who was initially very impressed with the fund, I am now left wondering -- why hasn't Havelock taken advantage of the order book and filled the orders with new share units created from the MPEX sell side? I am sure there is a certain level of desire to keep the Havelock fund trading at X% premium for what ever reason, but it is not really a good reason... I don't think it's right for the fund to trade at an upwards of 20% premium to the underlying. For instance, right now there are 7000 shares on MPEX at an ask of .0063, and the Havelock bid is up to .736 for 21 units (2100 mpex shares).

There are only a few ways to resolve this issue, which is of course an issue because it means people are over paying by a significant amount. One would be: let people convert MPEX shares into the Havelock pass thru units, which I see is already existent -- although the process for conversion is not clear. The other would be: Havelock manages their order book as any broker would, and matches supply to demand, simply buying the units on MPEX and flipping them to the bids on Havelock.

This arbitrage needs to take place for the market to remain healthy, and frankly I am left feeling suspect as to why this hasn't already occurred. It seems to me (please correct me if I am wrong) that there is nothing stopping Havelock from buying the shares on MPEX, creating units (incrementing a SQL entry) on Havelock, and selling them to the market. It would be better for all parties involved if this kind of additional liquidity would be provided to Havelock shareholders.

I believe it is the duty of the fund to take advantage of these market dislocations when they exist to improve the overall efficiency, structure, and liquidity of our dear BTC markets. Look forward to hearing a response from James et al
ThickAsThieves

View Profile
February 12, 2013, 09:28:03 PM

As someone who was initially very impressed with the fund, I am now left wondering -- why hasn't Havelock taken advantage of the order book and filled the orders with new share units created from the MPEX sell side? I am sure there is a certain level of desire to keep the Havelock fund trading at X% premium for what ever reason, but it is not really a good reason... I don't think it's right for the fund to trade at an upwards of 20% premium to the underlying. For instance, right now there are 7000 shares on MPEX at an ask of .0063, and the Havelock bid is up to .736 for 21 units (2100 mpex shares).

There are only a few ways to resolve this issue, which is of course an issue because it means people are over paying by a significant amount. One would be: let people convert MPEX shares into the Havelock pass thru units. The other would be: Havelock manages their order book as any broker would, and matches supply to demand, simply buying the units on MPEX and flipping them to the bids on Havelock.

This arbitrage needs to take place for the market to remain healthy, and frankly I am left feeling suspect as to why this hasn't already occurred. It seems to me (please correct me if I am wrong) that there is nothing stopping Havelock from buying the shares on MPEX, creating units (incrementing a SQL entry) on Havelock, and selling them to the market. It would be better for all parties involved if this kind of additional liquidity would be provided to Havelock shareholders.

I believe it is the duty of the fund to take advantage of these market dislocations when they exist to improve the overall efficiency, structure, and liquidity of our dear BTC markets. Look forward to hearing a response from James et al

I don't see any problem with Havelock choosing whether or not to fill asks, regardless of the price. New investors are welcome to get cheaper shares wherever they can find them.
lebing
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 05:34:09 AM

There are only a few ways to resolve this issue, which is of course an issue because it means people are over paying by a significant amount. One would be: let people convert MPEX shares into the Havelock pass thru units. The other would be: Havelock manages their order book as any broker would, and matches supply to demand, simply buying the units on MPEX and flipping them to the bids on Havelock.

I don't see any problem with Havelock choosing whether or not to fill asks, regardless of the price. New investors are welcome to get cheaper shares wherever they can find them.

Exactly. Additionally, let this be a lesson to those who want to do an IPO in the future what happens when you list on MPEX.

-E Voorhees
MPOE-PR

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 08:31:59 AM

There are only a few ways to resolve this issue, which is of course an issue because it means people are over paying by a significant amount. One would be: let people convert MPEX shares into the Havelock pass thru units, which I see is already existent -- although the process for conversion is not clear. The other would be: Havelock manages their order book as any broker would, and matches supply to demand, simply buying the units on MPEX and flipping them to the bids on Havelock.

In principle what you describe is how things should work. I doubt the recent inactivity on the part of the fund manager is intentional - he hasn't been on irc either. I imagine the likely explanation is person had some irl stuff to attend to, couldn't log in for a day or two. These things happen, weddings, funerals, car gets stolen, hospital visit, thousand possible reasons. Probably once they get back online the backlog will be resolved.

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 01:59:45 PM

[...] recent inactivity on the part of the fund manager is intentional - he hasn't been on irc either. I imagine the likely explanation is person had some irl stuff to attend to

James is out of town this whole week. He'll be back on the 18th.

btcsql

Activity: 292

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 06:04:30 PM

[...] recent inactivity on the part of the fund manager is intentional - he hasn't been on irc either. I imagine the likely explanation is person had some irl stuff to attend to

James is out of town this whole week. He'll be back on the 18th.

I understand completely -- please excuse any undertones of criticism that may have penetrated my post; I do think Havelock provides a very valuable service, I was irrelevantly echoing how I would manage the fund to the benefit of all parties. Hopefully when James comes back he will consider matching the Havelock order book with MPEX shares so the spread doesn't approach 20%.
Choadzilla

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:16:34 PM

site's down..
lightbox (OP)

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 05:39:33 AM

site's down..

Routing issue this morning. Nothing wrong with the site itself.

James

https://www.canadianbitcoins.com for quick & easy buy/sell with $CAD
Canada's Oldest Bitcoin Brokerage.  Serving Canadian Bitcoiners since 2011!
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 08:16:09 AM

site's down..

James

There was something similar reported re MPEx yest, some people couldn't reach it.

lightbox (OP)

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 06:42:51 PM

site's down..

James

There was something similar reported re MPEx yest, some people couldn't reach it.

Some CCNE somewhere broke the interwebs and got fired. lol.

https://www.canadianbitcoins.com for quick & easy buy/sell with $CAD
Canada's Oldest Bitcoin Brokerage.  Serving Canadian Bitcoiners since 2011!
ThickAsThieves

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:40:20 PM

This stock is at an all time low sell/buy now!    Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: