Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:23:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing of Bitcoins is against Bitcoin.  (Read 41821 times)
cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 11:02:15 AM

Storing is not against Bitcoin!
The less coins in circulation the higher the demand for the ones avalaible.Scarcity dude!

On the other hand you're right that spending bitcoin is an important part of the ecnomy as well.
So I would say both is good and important!

I thought about this and it made me think: if everybody held their bitcoin and there were less in circulation, what would that translate to as far as the security of the network is concerned?  Would the network's security be compromised at all if there were no transactions being broadcast?
kyrios_

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 11:06:30 AM

The less coins in circulation the higher the demand for the ones avalaible.Scarcity dude!

On the other hand you're right that spending bitcoin is an important part of the ecnomy as well.

I thought about this and it made me think: if everybody held their bitcoin and there were less in circulation, what would that translate to as far as the security of the network is concerned?  Would the network's security be compromised at all if there were no transactions being broadcast?

why would security be compromised? in order to rewrite the public ledger as long as NOONE has 51% it'll still be intact
cjmoles
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 11:36:59 AM

why would security be compromised? in order to rewrite the public ledger as long as NOONE has 51% it'll still be intact

That's my question...what affect would that have on the concentration of hashing power and what would the possible consequences be?
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 12:15:08 PM

First we need a way to spend our bitcoins (e.g. local store)

talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 12:32:24 PM

exactly, if there is enough places to spend our bitcoins then we will use them. this is something that OP doesn't want to agree on.

besides with all the speculations going on and the price going up it is sometimes hard to give up what you have bought cheap and is going higher even.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 12:53:07 PM

Its not 100% against rules, rather its like dont store them for lifetime. Keep making transactions, because its transactions that keep it alive. And storing would mean less transactions, though I store some, I still make a lot of transactions.
Vika NSFW (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 01:47:31 PM

have bought cheap and is going higher even.

Again.
BTC can be earned by selling products and services, not only buying at exchanger.

Vika NSFW (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2016, 01:49:47 PM

if there is enough places to spend our bitcoins then we will use them

Knock with a BTC code to Your product and service providers!

lixer

Activity: 2520
Merit: 586

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 05:57:25 AM

Its not 100% against rules, rather its like dont store them for lifetime. Keep making transactions, because its transactions that keep it alive. And storing would mean less transactions, though I store some, I still make a lot of transactions.
But I think we should not affect the flow of money. Whenever we use a currency, some amount of it is always saved in our wallets. Small amount is fine but we should not try to stock bitcoins in huge amount for just price increase. That would affect the system in some ways.

Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 07:27:33 AM

But I think we should not affect the flow of money. Whenever we use a currency, some amount of it is always saved in our wallets. Small amount is fine but we should not try to stock bitcoins in huge amount for just price increase. That would affect the system in some ways.
But I feel storing of bitcoins is not against bitcoins but rather its not appreciated actually. You can use the bitcoins you own as whatever way you want, no matter if you save them or spend them.
upsidedown75
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 07:33:36 AM

Why would someone stock bitcoins actually ? Bitcoins are even more popular because its easy to spend and accept, and with such a currency why would you stock them ? Seriously I never stock them.
Vika NSFW (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 11:08:38 AM

why would you stock them ?

Some people is attracted by idea become rich overnight from exchange rate similar to BTC1=$100.000.

~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 11:18:26 AM

yes you are quite right because right now there are not much stores accepting bitcoin. The only way to get things purchased is cashing out from your bitcoin atm card to cash and buy. Atleast i have gone through this situation several times.

MaritiJames3

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 11:19:52 AM

I think storing can be good if you ask me but its also the point, if you really want it, you have to keep in mind the bitcoin will go to a high amount because of the halving.

I think its good to hold your bitcoin because you can gain a lot of money.
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 03:04:30 PM

exactly, if there is enough places to spend our bitcoins then we will use them. this is something that OP doesn't want to agree on.

besides with all the speculations going on and the price going up it is sometimes hard to give up what you have bought cheap and is going higher even.
Yes you are right , no one is arrogant here to not use BTC even when they see good things online being sold for BTC ,  often buy bitcoins  but more often I spend them on various items.
prtty2gal2

Activity: 1092
Merit: 523

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 05:33:50 PM

I believe storing of bitcoins is not against bitcoins but yes we should not store them and dshould instead spend them and share with all we know. Spreading btc spreads awareness too.
mikewillda

Activity: 219

CTO/Spokesman

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 06:48:50 PM

I store most of my bitcoin as I think the price will rise a lot. But I also spend some to help the network.

Never invest more than you can afford to loose.
justdimin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 670

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 09:00:54 AM

I believe storing of bitcoins is not against bitcoins but yes we should not store them and dshould instead spend them and share with all we know. Spreading btc spreads awareness too.
But what I feel is it is against bitcoin even I agree that anything that you own then you have 100% rights on it, whether you save, spend, burn etc . But still I think it must be spread among more and more people and more transactions should be made.

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
cjmoles
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 06:58:52 PM

That's my question...what affect would that have on the concentration of hashing power and what would the possible consequences be?

I feel dumb bumping my own post but does anybody have an answer to this last question here?  Is it a dumb question or just too hard to give an answer.  I think the question is germane to the topic of this thread, and it's got me curious as to what others know about it.  If there were no transactions being broadcast, how would that affect the networks integrity?
offlinedragon

Activity: 135

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 04:27:21 PM

I too agree with the fact that bitcoin is an active currency and should be seriously and actively used to buy things online and offline rather than a being stored for some bump and dump holding strategy.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: