Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:03:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbies Beware! BITINSTANT.COM selective scamming? IGNORED BY SUPPORT! 1/5  (Read 3294 times)
RobbedbyBitinstant (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:18:14 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2013, 12:14:04 AM by RobbedbyBitinstant

Edit: Five days later... Bitinstant has sent my coins. For slow service and poor customer support I rate 3/5. I'm grateful to be paid, and I hope other users wont be in my situation.

I setup a deal with Bitinstant to transfer a large amount of cash to BTC. I made the payment, all paperwork accounted for and all variables double and triple checked. Shortly thereafter BITINSTANT emails me to confirm that the payment has been executed... good.... NOT... because the payment was never executed. Now its been days. (BTC price constantly rising)

I think BITINSTANT is selective scamming customers. I think they are regularly doing shady business like what has happened with me, in hopes that you will be the customer who just lets it slide. I won't be that customer and I hope you wont either.

NEW BUYERS BEWARE! DO NOT TRUST BITINSTANT.COM!!!

Edit: I want to clarify that this issue has been going on through the weekend. In that time I've contacted every form of support Bitinstant has and received no replies.

I think that it might makes sense to tune-up this thread, but I don't want to create a wall of text that deters newbies from receiving the necessary warning.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kryptox

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:27:28 PM

Thanks for the heads-up.  I've used them for some very small transaction (less than 10 BTC) without any problems.  I'll typically start out with smaller transactions when trying out a new service provider.  They really seemed reputable.  Anyone else had any trouble with them?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:28:21 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2013, 12:21:46 AM by DannyHamilton

Wow! Over-react much?

Try posting your concern in the Official Newbie BitInstant Support Thread, I'm sure they'll work with you to resolve your issue (although it might help to calm down a bit and keep your communication civil).
RobbedbyBitinstant (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:35:22 PM

Wow! Over-react much?

Try posting your concern in the Official Newbie BitInstant Support Thread, I'm sure they'll work with you to resolve your issue (although it might help to calm down a bit and keep your communication civil).

You need to leave.

I've already posted in that thread and I'm not overreacting. There is only a little information in this thread, but you assume my emotions aren't valid and based in maturity?

I don't need to calm down to deserve receiving my funds.
Kryptox

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:41:04 PM

Just wondering how that is an over-reaction?  Yeah, ok, that's a lot of CAPS, but I'd be pretty pissed if I was in his situation and was being ignored by support. 
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:56:24 PM

Just wondering how that is an over-reaction? . . . 
As far as I can tell, he ran into an issue on a Holiday weekend here in the U.S.  He posted exactly one post in the Support thread on a Sunday, waited 18 minutes and 55 seconds for a response, and then created a second post announcing "Newbies Beware! BITINSTANT selective scamming? IGNORED BY SUPPORT!"

How is that not an over-reaction?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:00:32 PM

You need to leave . . .

Nah, I'm fine, but thanks for the suggestion.

. . . I'm not overreacting . . .

Clearly you are.

. . . you assume my emotions aren't valid and based in maturity?

I didn't assume that, but now that you've mentioned it . . .

I don't need to calm down to deserve receiving my funds.
No, you don't need to.  I never said you did.  I just suggested that it might help.
Kryptox

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:07:49 PM

Yeah, hopefully you're right Danny.  I personally hate it when people make unrealistic claims about turnaround or response times, but like I said before, I think it will get resolved and OP just got unlucky with the guys at bitinstant taking some time off.

https://www.bitinstant.com/aboutus
"Based out of New York City and The United Kingdom, our staff is always around to answer your questions."

Let us know how it turns out.
21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:38:05 PM

Just wondering how that is an over-reaction? . . . 
As far as I can tell, he ran into an issue on a Holiday weekend here in the U.S.  He posted exactly one post in the Support thread on a Sunday, waited 18 minutes and 55 seconds for a response, and then created a second post announcing "Newbies Beware! BITINSTANT selective scamming? IGNORED BY SUPPORT!"

How is that not an over-reaction?

I read the same post. He didn't give them a whole lot of time to respond. I've never had issue with BitInstant in the past myself, regardless of transaction size.
RobbedbyBitinstant (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 07:40:44 PM

You need to leave . . .

Nah, I'm fine, but thanks for the suggestion.

No really, DannyHamilton, you're presumptuous and rude. GTFO.

I think its very clear that I'm discussing an ongoing problem, not rushing some transaction that happened hours ago.

I also think its also obvious that I posted this thread as MY THREAD, and intentionally separate from the support thread that I'm also in.

Finally, as a previous quote from this thread indicated... Bitinstant claims to be available for my support and THEY ARE NOT. They also claimed that my transfer would be quick and easy and it WAS NOT.

BITINSTANT STOLE MY FUNDS.

I contacted their live chat. Waited for hours....
I contacted their email support. Waited for a day...
I contacted their emergency line. Waited for days...

IVE RECEIVED NO CONTACT BACK.
21after2

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 07:51:24 PM

No really, DannyHamilton, you're presumptuous and rude. GTFO.

You've been more rude than he has.

I contacted their live chat. Waited for hours....
I contacted their email support. Waited for a day...
I contacted their emergency line. Waited for days...

IVE RECEIVED NO CONTACT BACK.

It's a holiday weekend here in the states.
RobbedbyBitinstant (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:11:24 PM

This weekend is not a forced closing for businesses in the United States. Its not even a popular trend for businesses to stop operation during MLK weekend.

If you want to contribute to this thread please either take time to develop on the issues present, or stick to a simple explanation of your own relationship with Bitinstant.com
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:19:17 PM

No really, DannyHamilton, you're presumptuous and rude.
Thanks for pointing it out, I'll strive to be less presumptuous and rude in the future.

GTFO.
You may want to make a similar effort.

Finally, as a previous quote from this thread indicated... Bitinstant claims to be available for my support and THEY ARE NOT. They also claimed that my transfer would be quick and easy and it WAS NOT.
I understand that they have not responded to you as quickly as you had expected.  Certainly they could do a better job of setting appropriate expectations.

The fact that you haven't gotten support as quickly as you'd like does not necessarily indicate theft.  It isn't even clear yet that BitInstant is the one with your funds.  When using BitInstant's service the funds change hands several times.  Depending on the method you choose, the funds could be held up at ZipZap, MtGox, or elsewhere.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:19:41 PM

I'll be willing to bet upto 10BTC that they will resolve this fully in the end, so if you think they scammed you, get in contact with me and we'll discuss the details of the bet.

21after2

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:24:00 PM

This weekend is not a forced closing for businesses in the United States. Its not even a popular trend for businesses to stop operation during MLK weekend.

If you want to contribute to this thread please either take time to develop on the issues present, or stick to a simple explanation of your own relationship with Bitinstant.com

It's not a forced closing, but many businesses choose to close for the weekend anyways. Especially smaller companies.

Here's my contribution: give BitInstant until at least Monday to respond to your inquiries either in their support thread or through your other contact methods. You can check Yankee's log in details to see if he's been logged in since you made your request: if he's been on and hasn't responded, that could be a problem. You can open a thread in the scam accusations forum once your newbie restrictions are removed if you feel Yankee deserves a scammer tag, which will also give him another opportunity to respond to your claims. And, as Blazr mentioned, you could also take legal action against BitInstant if you feel it's gotten to that point. Is that more helpful?

I'll be willing to bet upto 10BTC that they will resolve this fully in the end, so if you think they scammed you, get in contact with me and we'll discuss the details of the bet.

I'm willing to add a few BTC to this bet as well.
RobbedbyBitinstant (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:27:59 PM

Thanks for posting again DannyHamilton, and I'm sorry for the negativity between you and I. I agree with you, that I could also be more polite and thoughtful.

Thanks aswell to Blazr. I would also contact the BBB and my local PD when I feel the time is appropriate. I only engaged in business with Bitinstant because I believed their credibility was worth gambling on, and I still hope that they will come back to me with an excuse and amends.

The truly perturbing part of this transaction is that Bitinstant has claimed to have transferred my funds to the appropriate destination when no transfer was made. I've seen feedback from users who had their transfers fail, but this is another gambit altogether and far less understandable from my perspective.

I intend to update this thread at each step of resolution, and hope for a positive outcome for all parties.
RobbedbyBitinstant (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:34:43 PM

It's not a forced closing, but many businesses choose to close for the weekend anyways. Especially smaller companies.

Here's my contribution: give BitInstant until at least Monday to respond to your inquiries either in their support thread or through your other contact methods. You can check Yankee's log in details to see if he's been logged in since you made your request: if he's been on and hasn't responded, that could be a problem. You can open a thread in the scam accusations forum once your newbie restrictions are removed if you feel Yankee deserves a scammer tag, which will also give him another opportunity to respond to your claims. And, as Blazr mentioned, you could also take legal action against BitInstant if you feel it's gotten to that point. Is that more helpful?

I'm willing to add a few BTC to this bet as well.

Thats a good suggestion aswell, and inline with the plan of action I've adopted.

I won't place any bets on my predicament, its enough of a headache already. Again, it sucks to be using my time in this manner. I've made the decision though, and I need Bitinstant to realize that I won't rollover.

Odolvlobo,
My accusation is based on my experience and feedback I've received via this, and other forums. On this forum, there are users within the Bitinstant support thread who claim to have outstanding issues that are not being taken care of. A user in particular, claims to be at two months with an unresolved transaction with Bitinstant.

I'm not at the point of compiling that kind of evidence. I'm trying to wind-up in such a way that Bitinstant does have time to respond and to make a decision about how they want to handle this...... although frankly, I think that they've already used a lot of time and hardly deserve the wait. Its a personal decision to publicize my issue but to wait a bit longer before further escalation.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 09:13:52 PM

watching.

21after2

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 09:15:44 PM

Yankee responded to you in the BitInstant support thread. Sounds like your funds were sent to a different address. Did you give him the wrong payment address?
BitcoinBasics

Activity: 37

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 09:39:53 PM

I use bitinstant every time i purchase bitcoins. Have never had a problem. I still recommend to everyone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: