Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:12:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 101 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you consider trading as gambling?  (Read 47281 times)
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 08:51:45 AM

Hey people,

I've always been a huge gambler. I like creating useless schemes (as we all know bank always win ^^) and betting whole nights long in order to find THE right way of betting.
But I need change, I can't bet over and over on the same game cause after I see that nothing can be done to change the odds, I'm bored.

So I thought a bit about trading and I started not so long ago. and it feels a bit like a betting game without knowing the odds and with an infinity of parameters!

Does anyone else takes trading as a gambling game? Smiley

Yep, trading resembles gambling a lot: if you hit the MAX button you might lose big, only in gambling you might lose all you have and with trading you lose only part of what you had, you can't lose all at once. So trading is a bit safer IMO, but you should always remember that like in gambling the worst your enemy is a "strategy" which you think is unbeatable.

You can lose everything in trading, what if you went all in on LTC and it dies next day, you have zero.  The difference is in real gambling against the house there is no way to find +ev bets unlike, poker, sports, trading etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cluit
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 08:55:28 AM

Not really trading can be considered or compared to gambling. I think gambling needs only luck while trading as far as I am told by my friends is based on immense knowledge and depth about market.
naidray
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:52:53 AM

in trading there are chart and analysis, if gambling it is based on pure luck

so i dont think its the same
Do you think that market charts are actually always correct? Don't we had major crises, economic recessions, major flops of known companies in the past?
And we had really unknown company from nowhere rise to power in short time. Some things cannot be predicted by reason.
Not always market charts are correct but they can be used as a reference while ultimately it is our choice to trust them or use our own strategy same as gambling. But many time I also end up fining many similarities between gambling and trading.
upsidedown75
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:55:06 AM

Do you think that market charts are actually always correct? Don't we had major crises, economic recessions, major flops of known companies in the past?
And we had really unknown company from nowhere rise to power in short time. Some things cannot be predicted by reason.
Not always market charts are correct but they can be used as a reference while ultimately it is our choice to trust them or use our own strategy same as gambling. But many time I also end up fining many similarities between gambling and trading.
Yes, Gambling tips and tricks also are shared by many users and they also can be used as reference points Eg: Sports Betting, and should not be exactly followed like trading. There are many difference between gambling and trading.
CasioK

Activity: 826

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 10:15:27 AM

Unknown companies can lose in the long run but big companies always earn more profit and are stable. Trading in stock market is much better than gambling IMO.

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
mOgliE (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 10:26:17 AM

Unknown companies can lose in the long run but big companies always earn more profit and are stable. Trading in stock market is much better than gambling IMO.

Yeah but if you trade stocks of very big companies like Apple or Google, you'll earn peanuts because the growth will be increadibly low.

So low risk but insignificant profits Wink

mOgliE (OP)
Legendary

Merit: 1251

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 10:30:00 AM

Ok so for most of you guys, trading is different because it's not based on pure luck.

But fact is it would mean that you consider poker as not being a gambling game? As it's not based on pure luck just as trading! ^^

patt0
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1005

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 06:36:20 PM

well you can win and loose by trading,you don't always win there, so i guess it is considered as gambling, but personaly i think about trading like a job
Gambling is almost 100% similar to trading, you can never win or say get profit from trading unless you get lucky. But the only reason I see why trading is not same as gambling, because it requires little bit of skill and knowledge too.

I can't agree with you. There are professional traders, that live with the profit they made from it. It just can't be just luck, otherwise how could they live from it? Being lucky can't be a profession, it makes no sense. It's not for all, and I'm not saying you don't need luck, but I can't agree that is a little of skill and most luck, it has to be the opposite, otherwise no one could live from it.

Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 06:43:40 PM

Totally false. There is history of more than 20 (sic!) multibillion dollar companies which fell in last 10 year.

To highlight the biggest bankruptcy of XXI century so far:

"Lehman Brothers:Date: Sept. 15, 2008: Assets: $691 billion: The 158-year-old investment bank made history as the biggest company to file for bankruptcy. Lehman failed to find a buyer in September 2008 after it lost $7 billion on failed bets on risky subprime mortgages during the previous two quarters. Stocks plunged around the world in the wake of Lehman's collapse as the U.S. devised plans to bail out its competitors."

http://www.thestreet.com/gallery/tsc-bankruptcy2-decade/20/photo-lehman-bankrutcy.html
cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
February 29, 2016, 07:12:58 PM

When it comes down to it....almost everything we do in life is a gamble.  We're gambling with the insurance companies when we pay our premiums, we're gambling with the education system when we pay our tuition, and we're gambling with our retirement fund when we pay into our 401K's. To get the most valuable information from a thread such as this, one would have to define the terms of the discussion.

What do we mean by "gambling?"  Are we talking about pure games of chance, games of incomplete information, games of skill....etc...negative EV propositions, positive EV propostions....what are we considering?

Ace_Of_Fades

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 08:22:37 PM

Absolutely not, when you gamble you have a 50/50 chance of winning. With my trading history, I find trading is more like a 70/30 chance. If you know what to look for then you have the advantage over all the other guys who don't. Where as gambling.... there's no advantage, only luck.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 09:39:27 PM

Absolutely not, when you gamble you have a 50/50 chance of winning. With my trading history, I find trading is more like a 70/30 chance. If you know what to look for then you have the advantage over all the other guys who don't. Where as gambling.... there's no advantage, only luck.

If you really have a 70% win rate in trading then you are probably the best traders in the world. Don't think anyone can have a good win rate such as that, unless you are trading with small lots and got lucky.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
LuckyYOU

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 10:06:12 PM

If you really have a 70% win rate in trading then you are probably the best traders in the world. Don't think anyone can have a good win rate such as that, unless you are trading with small lots and got lucky.

I understand what you mean, but i guess what he wants to say are the odds are different.
Gambling 10/100, tradiing maybe 60 out of 100. Even higher when you tried legit coins like any top 10 altcoin on coinmarketcap.

frank0929

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 11:41:46 PM

Trading is not gambling. There are a lot of differences. Trading is based on knowledge. But if you think about forex and other option exchanges yeah, we can count them as gambling. I don't consider normal Bitcoin trading as gambling.
Cyaren

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 29, 2016, 11:43:38 PM

Nope. Trading is trading, and gambling is gambling. With trading you can base your decision off the current trends, and information. But with gambling, it's pure luck. There is no guarantees with gambling, and you can lose all your money really quickly. However with trading it is easier to cashout, if you think the trend has now changed.
wamlah

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 12:02:33 AM

Pure gambling. You are guessing as like you are betting.
DeDordtenaar

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 12:43:20 AM

how about binary trading. i think you have chance 50/50 for winning. you cannot use your knowledge to binary with 1 minute time

,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄╓                 
            ╓▄█████████████████▄╖           
         ╓▄█████▀▀'▒,,,,,╠'▀▀█████▄,         
       ,▓███▀╜,▄▄███████████▄▄,╙▀████╖       
      ▄███▀ ▄█████▀▀"``╙"▀▀█████▄ ▀███▄     
     ▓███╜╓████▀ ,▄▄█████▄▄, ▀████,╙███▌     
    ▓███`╔███▀ ╓▓███▀▀▀▀▀████╖ ▀███@"███▌   
   ]███▌┌███▌ ▐███         ███▄ ▐███ ▐███,   
   ▐███ ▐███ .███           ███  ███▌ ███▌   
   ▐███ ▐███ '███           ███  ███▌ ███▌   
   ]███@╙███@ ▀██▌        ,▄██▌ ▐███ ▐███`   
    ▓███ ▐███▄ ╙██▀╩     9███╜ ╔███▀,███▌   
     ████,╙███▌               ▓███╜,████     
      ▀███▄ ▀╜                 ▀▀ ▄███▌     
       ╙████▄,                 ╓▄████╜       
         ╙█████▄▄╓,       ,╓▄▄█████▀         
            ▀▀█████████████████▀▀           
                '▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀'

CloakCoin | Private, Secure & Untraceable Cryptocurrency |  Enigma
Forum | Bitcointalk | Twitter | Slack |  Facebook |  VK |  Reddit |  CloakTV |  Instagram |  IRC-Chat |  Faucet
fullypak
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:14:55 AM

Not really trading can be considered or compared to gambling. I think gambling needs only luck while trading as far as I am told by my friends is based on immense knowledge and depth about market.

Yes, that is true. Not only knowledge but also should have a patience to wait for your investments to grow. Because investing in market is nothing but investing on company business and any businesses to grow, it needs time. So pick some good companies and wait for long term than surely one can make good money but in gambling mostly every one will lose money at the end.
zerowing

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:53:47 AM

I think trading is a puzzles with numbers, math, patterns and sequences based on knowledge, trends and information.  Wink
klf
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 01:59:57 AM

I think trading is a puzzles with numbers, math, patterns and sequences based on knowledge, trends and information.  Wink

Day trading is always very bad and it is almost equal to gambling. So don't look at number but look at the company past business performance and what are there future plans and company promoters past history to invest in company. It takes some time to grow our money in these kind of investments and results may not be instant. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 101 »
  Print  

Jump to: