Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:13:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogecoin should hard fork to ring signatures.  (Read 434 times)
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 05:54:18 PM

I just had this stroke of genius earlier.  

Dogecoin was always meant to be a joke and experiment but it's technology is getting left behind.  

I don't want to see Doge die, but maybe they don't have to.  If they hard forked to ring signatures and a modern mining algorithm, suddenly Dogecoin might be amazing and hot again.

Same goes for the beleaguered Nyancoin.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 05:58:39 PM

Isn't doge working well now and quite secure being merge mined with LTC?

I like doge. More real world adoption could be useful though.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 06:55:14 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2016, 07:11:28 PM by ArticMine

Dogecoin was always meant to be a joke and experiment but it's technology is getting left behind.  

I don't want to see Doge die, but maybe they don't have to.  If they hard forked to ring signatures and a modern mining algorithm, suddenly Dogecoin might be amazing and hot again.

No. Too much of a social covenant change. Actually what Doge could very effectively take from Monero is Cryptonote style adaptive blocksize limits. This could work very well in Doge because Doge already has the hard part in place namely the tail emission. It would position Doge with a very similar codebase to Bitcoin but without the blocksize issue.

Edit: The tail emission in Doge could over time make Doge the primary source of security in the merge mine with Litecoin.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 08:46:21 PM

No. Too much of a social covenant change. Actually what Doge could very effectively take from Monero is Cryptonote style adaptive blocksize limits. This could work very well in Doge because Doge already has the hard part in place namely the tail emission. It would position Doge with a very similar codebase to Bitcoin but without the blocksize issue.

Edit: The tail emission in Doge could over time make Doge the primary source of security in the merge mine with Litecoin.

Should we send this to the doge devs and have them implement asap. If it's as good as it sounds....why not do it?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: