Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:11:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could deals like this be real and if yes explain the recent big buys and sells?  (Read 2962 times)
Akka (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 05:35:37 PM

Real or Scam?

Man, this is why i ask this question. You only have to read the news to know, I´m selling right now at almost 62K per kilo intact horns and sections at 72K per kilo (average section is about .52 to .66 kg) I don´t sell powder.

If anyone is trying to sell at this ridiculous price is probably trying to scam you, and i repeat you can search for news in google and you´ll see my prices are the right.

Anyway my material is black rhino horn pure keratin hunted in Namibia.  I have three in the US right now:

---82cm (32 inch) and 5.435 kg at 330K US dollars

---52cm (20.3 inch) and 2.918 kg at 180K US dollars

---37.3 cm (14.5 inch) and 2.188 kg at 135K US dollars

I will do sections for the smaller one, and the extra cost is because for me is more difficult to sell it in this way.

I only accept bitcoins, and of course accept full escrow.

I also can work outside full escrow, in 50% upfront and two bitcoins payments, or 20% bitcoins in first, and silver or gold in second.

The horn or section can be shipped to an address or to a drop point. If you are in NY, i suppose you´ll have it in three days tops once the payment is done.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/rhino-horn-crisis-and-the-darknet

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 05:54:53 PM

Wow that's awful Sad
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 06:02:13 PM

Wow that's awful Sad

There are also counterfeit rhino horns on the black market! Let's hope he is just trying to scam someone.
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 06:13:52 PM

Wow that's awful Sad

There are also counterfeit rhino horns on the black market! Let's hope he is just trying to scam someone.

Year hopefully. That being real would really be terrible.

mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 06:15:39 PM

Wow that's awful Sad

Hopefully he just sends them ground up fingernail clippings... Doubt they'd be able to tell the difference.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 06:24:51 PM

Wow that's awful Sad
+1, never thought I would say this phrase but I hope he is scamming or selling fake stuff !
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 06:26:19 PM

Wow that's awful Sad

Hopefully he just sends them ground up fingernail clippings... Doubt they'd be able to tell the difference.

But they can: http://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sanparks.org%2Fparks%2Fkruger%2Fconservation%2Fscientific%2Fnoticeboard%2Fscience_network_meeting_2010%2FPresentations%2FHarperC.pdf&ei=eMwCUdDUHpCSswbXrIHoAQ&usg=AFQjCNFqjxXMNniNgTU23XbB1Ed2f1IMTg&sig2=CRcoLQgs8R3RCe5Fwr2URg&bvm=bv.41524429,d.Yms

Even which family of rhinos it was taken from, which sanctuary it was poached in.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 06:29:05 PM

Fuck poachers and their buyers in every orifice they have with poison razors.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
bitcoinscratcher

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2013, 06:35:24 PM

Rhino's are like "real life" unicorns, and these poachers are like real life scum bags!
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 06:36:50 PM

I was actually thinking about this a little while back.
Selling fake rhino horns and the likes is an animal-friendly thing to do.
If you flood the market with fake, price should drop for the real stuff too, limiting incentives for poachers.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 06:46:05 PM

Maybe it's time to encouraging the WWF to start accepting bitcoin donations?

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 06:47:38 PM

Rhino's are like "real life" unicorns, and these poachers are like real life scum bags!
Wait, could that be where the ASIC unicorn blood is coming from?
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 07:05:40 PM

Maybe it's time to encouraging the WWF to start accepting bitcoin donations?

I dunno... Hulk Hogan is getting a little long in the tooth, not really sure how much help he'd be  Grin

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:25:33 PM

The South African army’s technical support was part of a shift towards the use of surveillance tech in conservation. Drones, which are cheaper than ever thanks to the U.S. military’s decade-plus of development along with a new private drone economy, have become popular in ecology and conservation efforts. Ecologists working with orangutans were notable early adopters, with drones offering the ability to fly over forests for surveys far cheaper than manned flights could ever be.

Drones are making their way into the wildlife trade as well. Google recently gave the WWF $5 million for drones to protect wildlife in Africa and Asia, while a number of other conservation groups have been getting into the drone game. Clive Vivier, a 65 year old rhino farmer and co-founder of the Zululand rhino reserve in South Africa, recently received permission from the U.S. State Department to buy Arcturus T-20 drones, which feature 17-foot wingspans, 16 hour flight times, and which are used by the Navy.

There is some hope, with the use of drones to hunt the poachers down.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:28:03 PM

The South African army’s technical support was part of a shift towards the use of surveillance tech in conservation. Drones, which are cheaper than ever thanks to the U.S. military’s decade-plus of development along with a new private drone economy, have become popular in ecology and conservation efforts. Ecologists working with orangutans were notable early adopters, with drones offering the ability to fly over forests for surveys far cheaper than manned flights could ever be.

Drones are making their way into the wildlife trade as well. Google recently gave the WWF $5 million for drones to protect wildlife in Africa and Asia, while a number of other conservation groups have been getting into the drone game. Clive Vivier, a 65 year old rhino farmer and co-founder of the Zululand rhino reserve in South Africa, recently received permission from the U.S. State Department to buy Arcturus T-20 drones, which feature 17-foot wingspans, 16 hour flight times, and which are used by the Navy.

There is some hope, with the use of drones to hunt the poachers down.

Until the poachers get their own drones.

Weapons only give temporary hope that requires rapidly expanding sums of money to reacquire once lost.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 08:52:02 PM

Could we get an escrow provider on board to give us our coins back, pull together and try to bust this guy?

Let him ship directly to a police station or so?

I can see the news:

Bitcoin community busts endangered spiciest poachers

I know, but you can daydream a little.

Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:25:31 PM

This is a scam, no way in hell a poacher or someone with their hands on a rhino horn/horn powder would sell on the darknet.

It's like buying red rock opium. You're an idiot if you did.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 25, 2013, 11:35:36 PM

This is a scam, no way in hell a poacher or someone with their hands on a rhino horn/horn powder would sell on the darknet.

I'm not familiar with either case, so enlighten me please.  Why not?
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 01:50:52 AM

Resolving the Tragedy of the Commons by Creating Private Property Rights in Wildlife
http://cei.org/studies-other-studies/resolving-tragedy-commons-creating-private-property-rights-wildlife
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 04:36:19 AM

I'm not familiar with either case, so enlighten me please.  Why not?

The market for rhino horns is for the most part in Asia, although yes, there are people all over the world with enough money to buy it because it is "exotic", and because they want it, then again, what is claimed to be sold on the deepweb is the powder itself.

In China the horn is believed to be an aphrodisiac but mostly as a cure for convulsions and headaches. And acording to this link in the vietnamese use it as a drug to either party or get better after a night of boozing (http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/africa/south-africa/120823/rhino-horn-party-drug-vietnam-south-africa-poaching).

And here we see the horn is used to carve anything from knives, to other "medicinal" uses: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/rhinoceros/rhino-horn-use-fact-vs-fiction/1178/

As for red rock opium, it's claimed to be "real" opium, it is in fact, and incense that is being sold in most cases.

There's no getting high from a rhino horn, theres barely anything from it that could be used as actual medicine it's made from the same substance your nails are made from, so, cut your nails, shave them to a powder and sniff to see if you'll get high and get back to me.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: