Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:48:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon is (unfortunately) a scam. Here is why.  (Read 37932 times)
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:58:10 PM

My Theory:

Avalon releases picture of a box (back end)
Response: It is a box of fans!

Avalon releases picture at a different angle.
Then releases pictures of a stat page.

Response: Kano says it looks like legitimate output and remarks on the revision number and date.
Response: Everyone else says nothing. Others say it is "FAKE!", "DOCTORED", "Photoshopped".

Jeff gets his review done after he gets the unit.
Response: Oh that nice, (4 seconds later) But this proves nothing. It only proves that it is one of two boxes. No, it is actually just one box. The REST DON'T WORK!

BitCoin Foundation gets theirs.
Response: WTF is mine!?

First 4 customers get theirs.
Response: WTF, Where are ours?! This is BS! They won't ship the rest!

Next 10 customers get theirs.
Response: Holy MF...Only 10?

Next 100 customers get theirs.
Response: Whatever, I bet they have boxes hidden somewhere and are mining with the other 200+ boards.

Last 200 customers get theirs.
Response: WTF! Where are my Batch 2 orders you SOB?

Feb 20th comes around.
Response: WTF? I bet they ran off with the money.

etc etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:03:48 PM

Just because a few outliers may respond that way doesn't mean it reflects the majority opinion. Avalon had the best reputation of all the vendors. Recently that's been taking a tremendous beating and not without justification. Their behavior has changed dramatically since their shipping date came and went.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:07:44 PM

Just because a few outliers may respond that way doesn't mean it reflects the majority opinion. Avalon had the best reputation of all the vendors. Recently that's been taking a tremendous beating and not without justification. Their behavior has changed dramatically since their shipping date came and went.
Lets hope the level of proof comes and some fears are put to rest. (among the sane of mind at least)
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 07:19:25 PM

... Their behavior has changed dramatically since their shipping date came and went.
This, +1

If their only concern now is not being worst than BFL we're in deep trouble.

Whatever problem they have shipping this out of the country could be solved by renting a space and having the hardware mine for customers minus a fee. ...

That would only require ~68amp of 220v  Roll Eyes

I'm eager to hear what their problem is / was.
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:28:33 PM

Lets hope the level of proof comes and some fears are put to rest. (among the sane of mind at least)

Unfortunately, by opening their batch 2 order window tomorrow and making comments such as this:

A demonstration will come by a customer very soon, if you wish to wait until then, go ahead; but you then run into the risk of not making into batch #2

They're forcing people to make choices they shouldn't have to make and that ramps up the animosity. What do you suppose the chances are of an independent review of Avalon appearing today? When that doesn't happen folks will have to go on what they know about Avalon currently to make their decision about batch 2 purchases.

laSeek

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 09:51:37 PM

Looks like Jeff received his package...
Should I hold my breath waiting for those crying scam to apologise? Wink

Litecoin Core Developer
 - Dev Repo - https://github.com/dasher/litecoin.git
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:53:29 PM

I apologize.

However my dubs where more than founded. I'm happy that this is an event that was described in my first post, Jeff receiving the unit at least 6 hours before the preorder starts.

I'm really happy of it.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:59:04 PM

They don't need to apologize.

I never cried "scam" and I always maintained that Avalon, at least, actually did ship. Even so, I side with the sceptical here. They did nothing wrong. They pointed out, however shallow the logic, that there was a chance that Avalon was a scam. This is more information to everyone. This helps avoid groupthink.

The doubters need not apologize. In fact, I would like to thank them. It helps prove to the real scammers how difficult it would be to scam the community, such that even legitimate products are labelled scams. It ensures a better, safer community in Bitcoin's future.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 10:13:16 PM

I never cried "scam" and I always maintained that Avalon, at least, actually did ship. Even so, I side with the sceptical here. They did nothing wrong. They pointed out, however shallow the logic, that there was a chance that Avalon was a scam. This is more information to everyone. This helps avoid groupthink.

The doubters need not apologize. In fact, I would like to thank them. It helps prove to the real scammers how difficult it would be to scam the community, such that even legitimate products are labelled scams. It ensures a better, safer community in Bitcoin's future.

No. Most critics did not say there is a "chance". They said with absolute certainty "it is a scam". Cedivad included: check his thread title.

These uninformed and misguided critics have been the root cause of most of the trolling and fights on this forum.
Trance104

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:15:36 PM

I can only hope that everyone gets their orders and they all work minus 2 - 3 lemons.

At least ONE person got his. It's stange how all the Chinese orders haven't gotten theirs yet, but the one influential voice in the BTC community got his. I wouldn't be surprised if it "Gets even more GH than claimed!".

We'll see how that one goes. Price increase in batch 2... BTC only... No customer service... If it doesn't work when you get it, "too bad". They are going to walk away with the money. Let Jeff leave his DAZZLING review of the product. We'll see batch 2 sell out and Avalon disappear.

Cheers!  Grin
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:26:24 PM

No. Most critics did not say there is a "chance". They said with absolute certainty "it is a scam". Cedivad included: check his thread title.

These uninformed and misguided critics have been the root cause of most of the trolling and fights on this forum.

Look at my first point. For the info we had 2 hours ago, it was a certain scam. Now everything changed.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:28:58 PM

http://garzikrants.blogspot.co.uk/

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
laSeek

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 10:40:31 PM

I apologize.

However my dubs where more than founded. I'm happy that this is an event that was described in my first post, Jeff receiving the unit at least 6 hours before the preorder starts.

I'm really happy of it.

Respect & +1 cedivad - real men aren't afraid to be corrected - stand up for what you believe.
I don't fault Avalon for trying to do things the way they feel is best for them - I don't think they've handled their customers particularly well recently - but they've been better than many and it turns out substance over hype is a better suit for how they want to be seen.  At the end of the day they've come through.  Nice job.

Litecoin Core Developer
 - Dev Repo - https://github.com/dasher/litecoin.git
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 11:02:32 PM

Wow, the Avalon may be a beast (power consumption / size), but that's a really clean case and internal layout.   Now, let's see if it can perform, and if Jeff can post a review prior to the opening of pre-order batch #2 Cheesy   This drama is just too good - and for that alone, thanks to team Avalon!    
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 11:12:11 PM

Now, let's see if it can perform, and if Jeff can post a review prior to the opening of pre-order batch #2 Cheesy   This drama is just too good - and for that alone, thanks to team Avalon!    

Hear, hear!  This season of All My Bitcoins is turning out to be a smash hit.  The upcoming difficulty doubling episode is even more exciting than the block halving!

I will never forget where I was when Jeff posted pics of the first consumer ASIC.

Best drama around, besides Utopia of course.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Beepbop

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:00:16 AM

Why does everything need to be ordered right away?  Let the first shipment go out, take a break.  There's no rush to start a second batch. 
There is a huge rush for both them and their customers, to get mining before the difficulty goes up or Bitcoin gets hit with some unpredictable event, like another flash crash, flaw found in the protocol, or MtGox raided, Silk Road shut down, or whatever. It's a bit like an arms race.
Beepbop

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:06:06 AM

Look at my first point. For the info we had 2 hours ago, it was a certain scam. Now everything changed.
So it's Schrödingers box of fans: It both is and is not a certain scam at the same time, but when you open the box it has to be one or the other.
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 12:18:13 AM

Idiot........

http://garzikrants.blogspot.se

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
Beepbop

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:21:26 AM

I hope you're not referring to me, because if you look over my post history, I thought Avalon ASICs were legit.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 02:48:08 AM

Most critics did not say there is a "chance". They said with absolute certainty "it is a scam". Cedivad included: check his thread title.

You were poorly informed, because multiple details apparently unknown to you indicated that Avalon was likely legit:
- history of the guys, long-term members of this community (ngzhang and yifu had made and sold fpga devices, I personally bought fpgas from yifu)
- very conservative and plausible power consumption (150 Mhash/Joule)
- old 110nm tech, easier to design at than 65nm

I replied to your points of concern, but you seem to have ignored or not seen them:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=139725.msg1489135#msg1489135

I guess I am more interested in the psychology of this debate: what could we have said differently that would have changed your mind, that perhaps Avalon was legit? I am sure this boils down to poor communication and sharing of information between forum members. I am trying to understand how the communication can be improved. Because if it can be improved, there would be a lot fewer debates and arguments on these forums, hence it would improve the quality of the forum as a whole (and I am really interested in improving it.)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: