Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:18:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon is (unfortunately) a scam. Here is why.  (Read 37933 times)
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 03:56:02 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2013, 08:34:36 AM by cedivad

I spent a lot of time during the last days (or weeks) on the forums considering a big investment on the Avalon ASIC. I tough that even if my english is far from perfect, i should have opened this thread explaining my reasons to people that didn't have the time to spend here as i did.

1) Jeff will not receive its order before the batch starts selling
If you pay 400$ to ship something (rumors are that the custom agent was corrupted to let the Avalon unit pass trough) you get a tracking number. God, i just spent 400$ to ship something, i need to know where it is in real time. I need to know when it will arrive. If the parcel was to arrive before the second batch, Avalon would know it and would be confident about it. They are instead suggesting you that hey, you might lose your place on the second batch if you wait for Jeff.

2) They need to order components before this weekend because they cleaned the market out of resistors and capacitors
Hell, yes. We need components! You know, this stuff is hard to find and it takes 4 week to have it. What kind of components? Sci-Fiction stuff? No, resistors. RESISTORS! Once that Avalon discovered the community is smart enough to realize that you can't run out of resistors in China, they changed the supposed-missing components to mosfets and "inductor". People that know their stuff better than i do thinks that the only pratical use for mosfets in the Avalon is to build a custom PSU. Something that doesn't make any sense. You have problems building the Avalon, you don't need to get things worse house-producing a PSU.
They could have said that they need to have some other chips from the FAB and that the fab will work during the CNY (i don't think that intel closes its productions line on their multi billion dollars fabs during the holidays). That would have made sense to me.

3) They will not publish a video of the Avalon mining before the batch starts selling
The original plan was to post it before the end of the 2012. No one saw it. It simply dosen't exist. There is no reasons not to show a little video of the Avalon mining if it does exist. This recalls me Tom when he didn't want to post pictures of the chips he should own.

4) They will not try to smash the network for a small period with their 100 ASIC to prove that they are out there
Just turn them on for 2 hours, we would notice. They didn't do this. They will not.

5)

Did they told you (chinese customers) the reason of the delay in shipping? It cannot be customs there.

No, I personally have heard no Chinese customers receiving their products. There was no explanation in this post.

I will change my idea if:
1) There is a video of the Avalon mining that convinces me and my standards
2) Jeff receives the Avalon at least 6 hours before the second batch, so that he has the time to show us something.

The BS about keeping the competition at the obscure of the fabulous progresses the Avalon team did in the dark field of the ASICs doesn't hold anymore.

I hope my thread to be appreciated. By no reasons i want to troll. I wanted to be a customer.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:01:29 PM

Thanks for pointing these things out. I want to see the Avalon team's counter-argument for this.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Beepbop

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:03:52 PM

I think they've made clear that their counter-argument is going to be coming in a box with fans and ASICs in it. I'm just getting the popcorn. Being at the cutting edge of mining is a high-risk venture.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:08:55 PM

Taking a risk to be at the cutting edge is not a problem. They're asking everyone to discount what they've said previously and suspend their own common sense...this is a problem. None of this passes the smell test, but I doubt they'll have much trouble finding 500 people to send them $1500.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:19:09 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2013, 04:38:22 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Well I don't know if it is a scam or not (and don't really care) but I am sure all ASIC and FPGA boards have a DC to DC PSU.

No not the 120VAC -> 12VDC ATX PSU but the board level PSU that converts that 12VDC supplied by the ATX power supply to xVDC used by the board level components.  Nothing in the computer world actually runs at 12V so the boards need to step down the voltage supplied by ATX PSU.  Unlike ATX AC->DC PSU there is no one size fits all because the amount of current, regulation, and voltage is going to vary from component to component.  Your motherboard (and video cards) have a DC to DC PSU for this exact reason.  
tigereye

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:25:18 PM

I can understand them not posting a tracking number.

For most carriers, the tracking number shows the destination of the shipment. Posting the tracking number would violate Jeff's privacy.
If anyone should post the tracking number, it's Jeff, but to be honest if I were in his position I would not post this number.

What I *MIGHT* do is make a post saying "I'm Jeff, I've received the tracking number and I'm tracking the package. It sure seems like SOMETHING is on its way to me."

However even doing this would involve himself in the politics/drama/furor on this forum about Avalon.
As if he doesn't have enough politicking with his role as dev and his appearances on vlogs to answer questions about Bitcoin...

One thing I *CAN* say about Avalon...
They have spent practically $0 on marketing, yet everyone in our community is talking about their product. That is extremely successful if you ask me.
They're using one of the best rules in advertising: less is more.

If my posts have helped, consider leaving a tip! 1AE5e56ivvaGMJJmLrZoLgiZXPx93CddyA
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:26:47 PM

I can understand them not posting a tracking number.
I did not asked for this.
If they had a tracking number, they would know whatever or not Jeff will receive the stuff by the 31. They do not.

Well I don't know if it is a scam or not (and don't really care) but I am sure all ASIC and FPGA boards have custom PSU.
Ok, -1.

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:30:20 PM

Question to forum administration: maybe this is right moment to ask Avalon stuff to publish proof of Avalon ASIC existance or shut down any (possible) scam activity?
I will try to explain myself.
BitSyncom used this forum to advertise its product, got preorders on this forum, used forum to keep (or not) customers informed about order status... But more than one week after we didn't saw any evidence that product were shipped... even more: existed. All questions about promised(!!!)  source code of modified cgminer, iso with OS image for device, video proof, shipment choice form, tracking number for jgazik and more - all this were TOTALY IGNORED. Now Avalon is starting new thread with batch #2 announced and look what they promise: no proof, no moneyback. One thing they promise: dates dates dates.
So, all I said is lead us to one conclusion: POSSIBLE SCAM! (Personaly I don't want it to be scam, as I am first batch customer). And now is good time to take sme preventive actions against possible scam and minimise possible damage to your forum users? I don't think that administration of this forum want to be anyhow related to scam?
creativex

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:31:30 PM

If anyone should post the tracking number, it's Jeff, but to be honest if I were in his position I would not post this number.

What I *MIGHT* do is make a post saying "I'm Jeff, I've received the tracking number and I'm tracking the package. It sure seems like SOMETHING is on its way to me."

Last I heard he(Jeff) had specifically said he had NOT received any tracking information, though Avalon claims to have spent $400 to get the package shipped. I'm having trouble reconciling these statements.

wormbog

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:33:37 PM

All Avalon has shown is that they're doing a poor job with their PR. If they're selling their ASICs faster than they can (supposedly) make them, why should they care? Why waste time trying to get even more orders than they can handle?

I thought BFL was an obvious scam before they released their first products. It turned out they just did a terrible job of managing their public image, a problem they still have today. It sure didn't impact their sales though. When you've got a revolutionary product you can afford to ignore your detractors.
MonsterZero

Activity: 72

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:33:41 PM

Last I heard he(Jeff) had specifically said he had NOT received any tracking information, though Avalon claims to have spent $400 to get the package shipped. I'm having trouble reconciling these statements.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=541;sa=showPosts

Here's his latest posting, as of the 25th of January he had not received trakcing info.  He seems the type to me to at least tell us he did receive tracking info.  It would go a long way, I don't need to follow his package but him saying he at least received info would alleviate... something.  (still mgiht be a brick haha (or 4 looking at that case))
deadweasel

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:34:23 PM

Question to forum administration: maybe this is right moment to ask Avalon stuff to publish proof of Avalon ASIC existance?
BitSyncom used this forum to advertise its product, got preorders on this forum, used forum to keep (or not) customers informed about order status... But more than one week after we didn't saw any evidence that product were shipped... even more: existed. All questions about promised(!!!)  source code of modified cgminer, iso with OS image for device, video proof, shipment choice form, tracking number for jgazik and more - all this were TOTALY IGNORED. Now Avalon is starting new thread with batch #2 announced and look what they promise: no proof, no moneyback. One thing they promise: dates dates dates.
So, all I said is lead us to one conclusion: POSSIBLE SCAM! (Personaly I don't want it to be scam, as I am first batch customer). And now is good time to take sme preventive actions against possible scam and minimise possible damage to your forum users? I don't think that administration of this forum want to be anyhow related to scam?

Actually, the correct time to take preventative measure is BEFORE you decide to send your BTCs somewhere.  It is not this forums responsibility to verify things you should have done already.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:35:05 PM

People that know their stuff better than i do thinks that the only pratical use for mosfets in the Avalon is to build a custom PSU. Something that doesn't make any sense. You have problems building the Avalon, you don't need to get things worse house-producing a PSU.
It is "custom VRM" not "custom PSU". Technically it is almost the same thing, but PSU produces 12V,5V & 3.3V, and VRM further reduces it down to 1.somethingV. Nothing out of ordinary.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:35:52 PM

Question to forum administration: maybe this is right moment to ask Avalon stuff to publish proof of Avalon ASIC existance or shut down any (possible) scam activity?

The same forum which allowed Pirate to run a painfully obvious ponzi scheme for months?

Good or bad the forum takes a hands of approach.  If you think it is a scam then don't buy one.  Pretty simple concept.  Personal responsibility and all that.  You are the keeper of your coins.  If you do something stupid then you may lose them and never get them back.  Of course if it is a scam I am sure many will ignore that chasing the promise of turning x BTC into 10x BTC by getting an ASIC first and in the process turn it into 0 BTC.  Note: I am not saying Avalon is or isn't a scam.  I don't really care, won't be buying one either way.
Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:43:52 PM

Actually, the correct time to take preventative measure is BEFORE you decide to send your BTCs somewhere.  It is not this forums responsibility to verify things you should have done already.
The same forum which allowed Pirate to run a painfully obvious ponzi scheme for months?

Good or bad the forum takes a hands of approach.  If you think it is a scam then don't buy one.  Pretty simple concept.  Personal responsibility and all that.  You are the keeper of your coins.  If you do something stupid then you may lose them and never get them back.
Where I said that I regret for being involved to possible scam? I'm have enough salary to make risky investments.
I heard something about Pirate, but don't know details. Maybe there was no man who point administration sight to scam?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 04:50:22 PM

I just started reading the other thread, and had to stop not even midway through the first post before commenting. Took my piss, got my coffee, got my smokes, now off to see if I can get through the rest of the first post without bursting a blood vessel.

Madness! (last couple seconds)
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:52:31 PM

No shipping/tracking information has been sent to me, privately or publicly, as of this writing.

No private communications since Jan 20.

Forum readers know as much as I know, at this point.

For the record, at this time, I do not think Avalon or BFL are scams.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
MonsterZero

Activity: 72

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:54:36 PM

No shipping/tracking information has been sent to me, privately or publicly, as of this writing.

Thanks for the update Jeff!
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 04:58:39 PM

Have I been browsing the wrong forum or something?  Huh
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 05:03:46 PM

Have I been browsing the wrong forum of something?  Huh

I, too, trust Jeff, and was about to post the following via quoting the post above the one I did quote, for this one's better.

Just got to post #4 and opted to comment here than pollute the (insert adjective here) thread.

I would consider ordering some more if my current order was not still listed as "CANCELLED" after 3 weeks of contacting Avalon.  Even BFL is more responsive.

I thought when I responded in the Avalon Shipped thread it was pretty clear I can't change any of the stats until I get back into NYC? but all the issues checks out since there was data stored, but callbacks were never made.

His computer will only work in NYC? This blows my mind!
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:08:40 PM

He either checks the connecting ip or has the certificates on a pc there.

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:11:36 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=139704.msg1488175#msg1488175

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:14:56 PM

There is no evidence whether BFL or Avalon are scams.

They both could be, they both could not be.

But, I don't agree with throwing one under the bus for that reason without solid evidence.

Why can't we wait a week to see if anyone receives an ASIC before making these types of threads?
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:16:59 PM

Why can't we wait a week to see if anyone receives an ASIC before making these types of threads?
Because on thursday they will get 700 * 1500$ worth of preorders.

lucif

Activity: 462

Clown prophet

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:17:14 PM

But, I don't agree with throwing one under the bus for that reason without solid evidence.

They ask money. They must proove they are not scammers. Presumption of innocence doesnt work here.
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 05:19:06 PM

Generally the forum does not play the scam hunting game. It could never do as good a job protecting you as the lump of great matter between your ears— but if it does a half-assed job perhaps you'll think you're safe when you're really not.  Stuff usually only gets binned/marked as a scam when its so obvious that the scam attempt amounts to spam or when it's generally considered as proven.  Buyer beware.

BitSyncom used this forum to advertise its product, got preorders on this forum, used forum to keep (or not) customers informed about order status... But more than one week after we didn't saw any evidence that product were shipped... even more: existed.
There actually exists more evidence than they are making public, I don't really understand their PR strategy.   It seems to me that the particular approach they are taking will bias the costs and rewards to the more irrational risk takers in the community— and I don't know that its a good thing. But they did point to the extreme time costs of dealing with the public, and I certainly see the point there.

Personally, based on what I know, I think it is unlikely to be a scam. But it doesn't need to be a scam to have problems and there are clearly some problems— if nothing else then in the shipping and funding of the next batch. Keep in mind that I'm a batch #1 customer too, so I may be a victim of a bit of hopeful thinking. At the same time: I have never been scammed, I have correctly identified and avoided many scams in the Bitcoin community, and I'm saying this even though Avalon hasn't been responding to my emails in the past week  (Unfortunately their shipping delays have put their shipping right on top of a cross country move for me,  and the complete uncertainty with respect to shipping times means I can't schedule my flights to be around to receive the hardware— so I'm likely going to have to pay someone to camp out at my old address until the parcels arrive).

I will not, however, be placing a second batch order— but I don't know how much of this is because "unlikely" isn't good enough for my personal scam tolerance vs the fact that my first batch order satisfied my current interest in 110nm ASIC miners. Probably more the latter— as I'd probably consider loaning money to them
CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:19:56 PM

So... don't pre-order from Batch #2 until there is evidence of working devices.

That is my plan at least... no one HAS to order anything...
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:22:31 PM

So... don't pre-order from Batch #2 until there is evidence of working devices.

That is my plan at least... no one HAS to order anything...

Although I must say: life isn't about "making sure" but rather "enduring the uncertainty".

Roll Eyes
creativex

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:22:53 PM

You know they'll fill that 2nd batch in hours right? Even with this total PR fail...

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:27:20 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2013, 05:46:30 PM by gmaxwell

There actually exists more evidence than they are making public, I don't really understand their PR strategy.
gmaxwell, are you saying that you have seen any pictures or videos that you think are evidence, which are not public?

gmaxwell
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 05:45:04 PM

There actually exists more evidence than they are making public, I don't really understand their PR strategy.
gmaxwell, are you saying that you have seen any pictures or videos that you think are evidence, which are not public?
I can imagine a sophisticated scam where carefully constructed "leaks" are used to dupe trustworthy™ people into 'laundering' weak evidence in order make it seem stronger— If I tell you I've seen photos, some people will believe me more than _any_ photo they could have possibly been shown, and I may have missed some glaring flaw in the evidence that would have been discovered had it been made public... and while— as mentioned— I don't think Avalon is scamming here, it occurs to me that to avoid contributing to this kind of game in the future I ought to act consistently:  If Avalon wants the benefit of people confirming that there is more evidence, then they should make it public.

So, I'll leave it at: Scam or not, they could easily provide lots of additional information. Fans call everything proven here, haters call everything disproven here. This is one of the reasons that 'evidence' is not all that good protection against scams in this sort of thing. Considering the kind of funds involved even from batch#1 surely a scammer could go buy a crate of fans, throw them on a bench, and call it an assembly line. The reason I think they should post more and are confused that they aren't isn't because I think it will protect anyone from getting ripped off— but simply because it's good PR that will help them collect more money.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:50:17 PM

@gmaxwell, I think we understood perfectly, thank you.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 05:55:18 PM

Or the mods could simply message them and say show our community more proof or we will delete your threads as there have been too many
scams around here and we wish to protect our users in the only way we can.

The people with the money normally have all the leverage. But in this goofy community it seems like the sales person who promises something
has all the power. I guess greed is the reason things are upside down around here.
gmaxwell
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 06:04:49 PM

Or the mods could simply message them and say show our community more proof or we will delete your threads as there have been too many
scams around here and we wish to protect our users in the only way we can.
It couldn't be done transparently without increasing false confidence in some cases. It can't be done in secret without turning the forum into a potential extortion racket (or at least subjecting it to credible allegations that it is one).  You do not want either of these outcomes.

Fortunately, centralized authority is not the only way to get things done. Prospective customers could put funds in escrow (even a trustless blockchain escrow) and make transparency demands— "You get our money only if you do X, Y, and Z and by putting funds in this escrow we prove that we're not trolls making demands to waste your time or upset your business".  This would avoid the above pitfalls.

The biggest problem I see with it is that I can't think of an X, Y, or Z that would materially reduce risks — except getting working units in the hands of some trusted third party and they claim to already have that in motion— given that they need the funds upfront to fund their production. A lesser issue is that if the community wanted to do it they'd have to come to a consensus on the terms very quickly.  If people could come up with and agree on some terms (that I don't think are insane), I'd be willing to act as a signer on an escrow for this.
dooferorg

Activity: 163

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:28:43 PM

I guess greed is the reason things are upside down around here.

+1

Sure is.

BTC: 1dooferoD3vnwgez3Jo1E4bFfgMf81LR2
ZEC: t1gnToN2HZW4GD52kofEVdijhRijWjCNfYi
rjbtc

Activity: 69

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:33:56 PM

I'm pretty new at this, but they did test out the units that shipped, right? Why not just go ahead and make a video of that happening? I'm sure there would still be people calling it a fake, but at least there would be something.  In all honesty, with the amount of money involved here I'd just personally deliver a few working units to trusted community members and let word of mouth do the rest.

BTC: 1AYWtqieXoQZnuT4iEk6MDEXBkdVd5BykN
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 06:46:58 PM

I'm pretty new at this, but they did test out the units that shipped, right? Why not just go ahead and make a video of that happening? I'm sure there would still be people calling it a fake, but at least there would be something.  In all honesty, with the amount of money involved here I'd just personally deliver a few working units to trusted community members and let word of mouth do the rest.

The only reasonable explanation is that they cannot or just like being drama queens. your choice.
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 07:10:11 PM

Avalon has me concerned from a business standpoint in addition to it sounding a little like a Ponzi scheme at this point.

Here are my thoughts:

- They PROBABLY have SOME units ready to ship as they're confident that they'll get a couple (to date, two) out to "testers" so they can post their reviews.

- My thoughts about them opening up round #2 pre-orders has me concerned that they're running out of money from the initial round of pre-orders and need additional capital to meet their goals

- The fact that they're ONLY using BTC this time around concerns me because it's not trackable and it seems like they're gambling that the price of BTC will continue to go up

- "No Refunds" sounds like the final blow as to their having business issues because what they're essentially saying is that they need to use the capital to pay bills and once you pay, money is gone.

- The network hash rate would lead me to believe that there are no ASIC's currently even operational (unless they're testing on a private chain, which would be weird because they COULD make some money off their testing)

I have concerns for those who still have their money with Avalon, or with any ASIC manufacturer in general. I think greed got the best of people. SURE, at current difficulties and network hash rate if you're THE FIRST on the network with an ASIC you'll probably stand to make good money... but after more ASIC's spin up, your profits should start dropping sharply. But perhaps there's another thread on this.

All I can say is, good luck to anyone who invested thousands of their hard earned dollars on this. It's quite the gamble on your part!
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 07:15:03 PM

The only reasonable explanation is that they cannot or just like being drama queens. your choice.
Cannot is not a reasonable explanation. I can make a demo video even though I have nothing.

We have been through this before.

Setup the asic unit. power it up. login. start the software. create a video showing things.
create account at a mining pool. point asic device at it. get pool owner to agree that is actual mining on their pool. they are easy to contact.

setup a few more of these asics devices and point at the same account. before you know it you have 100s and 100s
of gigahashes mining away and you show screen shots or what have you.

So, do you know of someone who has enough gpus around to fake that sorta test? ha. i don't.
nbtcminer

Activity: 249

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 07:19:47 PM

Avalon has me concerned from a business standpoint in addition to it sounding a little like a Ponzi scheme at this point.

Here are my thoughts:

- They PROBABLY have SOME units ready to ship as they're confident that they'll get a couple (to date, two) out to "testers" so they can post their reviews.

- My thoughts about them opening up round #2 pre-orders has me concerned that they're running out of money from the initial round of pre-orders and need additional capital to meet their goals

- The fact that they're ONLY using BTC this time around concerns me because it's not trackable and it seems like they're gambling that the price of BTC will continue to go up

- "No Refunds" sounds like the final blow as to their having business issues because what they're essentially saying is that they need to use the capital to pay bills and once you pay, money is gone.

- The network hash rate would lead me to believe that there are no ASIC's currently even operational (unless they're testing on a private chain, which would be weird because they COULD make some money off their testing)

I have concerns for those who still have their money with Avalon, or with any ASIC manufacturer in general. I think greed got the best of people. SURE, at current difficulties and network hash rate if you're THE FIRST on the network with an ASIC you'll probably stand to make good money... but after more ASIC's spin up, your profits should start dropping sharply. But perhaps there's another thread on this.

All I can say is, good luck to anyone who invested thousands of their hard earned dollars on this. It's quite the gamble on your part!

I think we're all saying the same thing; this new "batch #2" stinks of unspoken problems. As gmaxwell said, anyone could make up a demo video; its a mystery as to why team Avalon won't do it themselves. They are more than capable of doing that and NGzhang with regards to his icarus / lancelot projects have been able to prove that his previous FPGA projects worked. Through BFL's admission, we already know that there are problems with QFN packaging and it appears from the little information that exists online from team Avalon (I feel like I'm saying something out of Pokemon lol..) is using QFN packaged chips. My guess is that they either rushed to ship out what products they could and purposefully didn't do a demo because they feared it would give BFL an edge (this part is really a mystery to me as both companies seem to already be cash / asset committed to their own designs already at this stage in the game).
bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 07:27:21 PM

I feel that there is only one reason Avalon would be taking pre-orders on batch #2 before test review units will be received by jgarzik and someone else at Bitcoin Foundation.  Batch #2 couldn't be delayed for a week after reviews of first Avalon units, because _______________ .

In a couple of days, some people will give Avalon BTC with No refunds, No proof  Undecided

How could this not be a scam?

Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 07:33:31 PM

I agree that on the outside, there's no evidence for BFL and Avalon being scams. But BFL is taking orders with Paypal, which has fraud protection, and Avalon is not. I, personally, am not comfortable with this offering.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 07:56:41 PM

BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:18:01 PM

I spent a lot of time during the last days (or weeks) on the forums considering a big investment on the Avalon ASIC. I tough that even if my english is far from perfect, i should have opened this thread explaining my reasons to people that didn't have the time to spend here as i did.

If you pay 400$ to ship something (rumors are that the custom agent was corrupted to let the Avalon unit pass trough) you get a tracking number. God, i just spent 400$ to ship something, i need to know where it is in real time. I need to know when it will arrive. If the parcel was to arrive before the second batch, Avalon would know it and would be confident about it. They are instead suggesting you that hey, you might lose your place on the second batch if you wait for Jeff.

2) They need to order components before this weekend because they cleaned the market out of resistors and capacitors
Hell, yes. We need components! You know, this stuff is hard to find and it takes 4 week to have it. What kind of components? Sci-Fiction stuff? No, resistors. RESISTORS! Once that Avalon discovered the community is smart enough to realize that you can't run out of resistors in China, they changed the supposed-missing components to mosfets and "inductor". People that know their stuff better than i do thinks that the only pratical use for mosfets in the Avalon is to build a custom PSU. Something that doesn't make any sense. You have problems building the Avalon, you don't need to get things worse house-producing a PSU.
They could have said that they need to have some other chips from the FAB and that the fab will work during the CNY (i don't think that intel closes its productions line on their multi billion dollars fabs during the holidays). That would have made sense to me.

3) They will not publish a video of the Avalon mining before the batch starts selling
The original plan was to post it before the end of the 2012. No one saw it. It simply dosen't exist. There is no reasons not to show a little video of the Avalon mining if it does exist. This recalls me Tom when he didn't want to post pictures of the chips he should own.

4) They will not try to smash the network for a small period with their 100 ASIC to prove that they are out there
Just turn them on for 2 hours, we would notice. They didn't do this. They will not.

5)

Did they told you (chinese customers) the reason of the delay in shipping? It cannot be customs there.

No, I personally have heard no Chinese customers receiving their products. There was no explanation in this post.

2) Jeff receives the Avalon at least 6 hours before the second batch, so that he has the time to show us something.

The BS about keeping the competition at the obscure of the fabulous progresses the Avalon team did in the dark field of the ASICs doesn't hold anymore.

I hope my thread to be appreciated. By no reasons i want to troll. I wanted to be a customer.

1. Actually, chance of Jeff getting the unit on Thursday is pretty good, but of course there is a chance he won't like I mentioned. if you choose to read that has Jeff will not receive the unit that's not my problem.

2. It is what it is. there's a mountain of shit to order.

3. Let me explain something to you, and everyone else here, all of the evidence, short from a review from a trustworthy third-party can be faked. I rest easy thinking Jeff and Bitcoin Foundation is a good choice.

4. Let me quote Inaba here: "You are a fucking idiot."

Why the fuck not? I think I should have taken orders like BFL, screwed people with their backorders, then I'll not run into any of the problem I currently run into order parts and shit. Now some how I'm the greedy one? Get real. In addition, We at Avalon still do not believe BFL will ship a working product during the next month, Feb, 2013, so we are being cautious. Or consider this, a real bigshot IC company comes out and produces a 40nm, or lower Bitcoin Mining ASIC, and everyone will be kind of screwed. small batches allow the network to scale properly and minimize risk for both parties, the seller and customer. Whatever though, at this point I don't expect anyone to understand.

But speaking of greed, Let me give you a dose of potential reality you should actually worry about instead of this bullshit. Let me tell you a story about greed, there's a follow situation as described on a Chinese forum which refreshed what I thought was the rock bottom for evilness in the human heart.

The person, described Avalon as a scam, but not in the traditional sense where we did not make a working product but rather. We would upon "smoking day" chip success, issue a complete refund and start mining ourselves telling everyone the chip failed, then proceed to mining bitcoins at a rate about $40,000 a day.

tl;dr; It is much easier for Avalon to scam people than you thought. Clearly you have been worrying about the wrong things. Don't order from us if our terms is not good enough for you. Please, save us both the trouble.

mtminer

Activity: 86

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:22:06 PM

5)

1. Actually, chance of Jeff getting the unit on Thursday is pretty good, but of course there is a chance he won't like I mentioned. if you choose to read that has Jeff will not receive the unit that's not my problem.

3. Let me explain something to you, and everyone else here, all of the evidence, short from a review from a trustworthy third-party can be faked. I rest easy thinking Jeff and Bitcoin Foundation is a good choice.

Why the fuck not? I think I should have taken orders like BFL, screwed people with their backorders, then I'll not run into any of the problem I currently run into, and now some how I'm the greedy one? Get real. In addition, We at Avalon still do not BFL will ship a working product during the next month, Feb, 2013, so we are being cautious. Or consider this, a real bigshot IC company comes out and produces a 40nm, or lower Bitcoin Mining ASIC, and everyone will be kind of screwed. small batches allow the network to scale properly and minimize risk for both parties, the seller and customer. Whatever though, at this point I don't expect anyone to understand.

But speaking of greed, Let me give you a dose of potential reality you should actually worry about instead of this bullshit. Let me tell you a story about greed, there's a follow situation as described on a Chinese forum which refreshed what I thought was the rock bottom for evilness in the human heart.

The person, described Avalon as a scam, but not in the traditional sense where we did not make a working product but rather. We would upon "smoking day" chip success, issue a complete refund and start mining ourselves telling everyone the chip failed, then proceed to mining bitcoins at a rate about $40,000 a day.

tl;dr; It is much easier for Avalon to scam people than you thought. Clearly you have been worrying about the wrong things. Don't order from us if our terms is not good enough for you. Please, save us both the trouble.

Has advanced knowledge of forum formatting, yet simple cell phone camera use still escapes him.

michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:24:07 PM

A review from Jeff could be faked too, so why bother with that, if your logic is sound?  When BFL wouldn't provide timely pictures and videos, it later became clear that they were failing to provide that stuff because they simply didn't have it.

Now you're failing to provide that kind of stuff, only under the excuse that you could have faked it.  Sure, but we know that.  We know that a video of the machine isn't 100% proof, but that isn't what people are asking for.  They're asking for whatever assurance they feel pictures and videos would provide.
Tinua

Activity: 871

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:37:17 PM

................ We at Avalon still do not believe BFL will ship a working product during the next month, Feb, 2013, so we are being cautious. Or consider this, a real bigshot IC company comes out and produces a 40nm, or lower Bitcoin Mining ASIC, and everyone will be kind of screwed. small batches allow the network to scale properly and minimize risk for both parties, the seller and customer. Whatever though, at this point I don't expect anyone to understand.........

Who cares when BFL shipped?
What interests me alone is, when you sent my boxes
What is a smaller batch good for, if you bring not even the few boxes out of the country?
What good is it, if BFL shipp not bevor March, when our Boxes not shipped before CNY?
You wrote in big letters and counters "we Shipped"! We have not done! And what happen?.... "we shipp 2 Boxes" Great! Applause!
Why do you not publish the order number of the shipped boxes daily, so all the buyers know what going on?

This kind of questions have to be answered from you! Not all the other meaningless BS!

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:39:39 PM

You want to tell them to piss off, don't you?  The hate is swelling in you now.  Take your keyboard weapon.  Use it.  They are unarmed.  Strike them down with it.  Give in to your anger.  With each passing moment, you make yourself more like me...

Indeed.

I suggest BitSyncom you turn away from becoming an Inaba. I understand that customer service is like washing a backed up toilet. (only worse since you have to deal with talking turds)

Just give the facts and hide the anger as it looks bad and puts you on par with Inaba. Let your success do the talking and walking for you.
creativex

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:41:08 PM

Amazing how shipping deadlines of their own making seem to bring out the true colors of these vaporware vendors. Hey thanks at least for dropping the phony professionalism BitSyncom.

BitSyncom

Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:42:02 PM

Amazing how shipping deadlines of their own making seem to bring out the true colors of these vaporware vendors. Hey thanks at least for dropping the phony professionalism BitSyncom.

I'm just a human being.

p.s.

Since people are suggesting I get removed for potential scam, can I report people for slander also?

creativex

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:44:29 PM

I'm just a human being.

THEN USE YOUR OPPOSABLE THUMBS TO SEND AT LEAST JEFF A TRACKING NUMBER.

If you do this, Jeff will almost surely confirm and 90% of this will go away.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:44:39 PM

I'm just a human being.

p.s.

Since people are suggesting I get removed for potential scam, can I report people for slander also?
By all means, fire away. Make sure to hit Inaba for once! (Half joking...no, wait, I am serious.)
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 08:47:14 PM

You want to tell them to piss off, don't you?  The hate is swelling in you now.  Take your keyboard weapon.  Use it.  They are unarmed.  Strike them down with it.  Give in to your anger.  With each passing moment, you make yourself more like me...

Indeed.

I suggest BitSyncom you turn away from becoming an Inaba. I understand that customer service is like washing a backed up toilet. (only worse since you have to deal with talking turds)

Just give the facts and hide the anger as it looks bad and puts you on par with Inaba. Let your success do the talking and walking for you.

Its a joke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RFvAeSJgjc

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 08:47:57 PM

I'm just a human being.

p.s.

Its libel: Libel is defined as defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:52:31 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2013, 09:09:03 PM by Korbman

The only thing I don't understand is why you've only "shipped" 2 units. This has come around a number of times already..1 to Jeff, and 1 to the Foundation. What about the other 298? Why not just update some of the preorders with tracking numbers if they shipped? If everything has gone as planned, then there shouldn't have been just two units leaving your facility to begin with...it should have been dozens, all with tracking numbers. Nobody would give two fucks if they had a tracking number and found out their order was stuck in customs...

Believe it or not, that little bit of information would have negated the need for multiple threads calling you a scammer...Why is this so hard for you to understand?

dooferorg

Activity: 163

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 08:57:25 PM

I'm just a human being.

THEN USE YOUR OPPOSABLE THUMBS TO SEND AT LEAST JEFF A TRACKING NUMBER.

If you do this, Jeff will almost surely confirm and 90% of this will go away.

Next excuse up from Avalon/BitSyncom 'Hmm.. must have been lost in the mail .. Sorry about that'

BTC: 1dooferoD3vnwgez3Jo1E4bFfgMf81LR2
ZEC: t1gnToN2HZW4GD52kofEVdijhRijWjCNfYi
Beepbop

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:12:18 PM

Who cares when BFL shipped?
What interests me alone is, when you sent my boxes
I won't speak to the rest, but this actually makes sense to me: If they release details about what exact components they're missing and post detailed photos of the boards they might risk
- A competitor cutting down the time to shipping, thus depriving Avalon's own customers of some days of profitable mining.
- A competitor, or antoher enterprising saboteur with deep pockets could vacuum the market for the exact components that Avalon need.

The first isn't much of an issue by this point, I think - BFL seem to far along in their development to do a redesign - but based on what we know about the most unscrupulous competitors, or even some groups of miners, I wouldn't put it past them to try to slow down Avalon's batch 2 by increasing demand for components. I think that would be an effort in vain - I don't think any mining groups have that much money - but stranger things have happened in Bitcoin.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 09:16:08 PM

I'm going to push the envelop here.

In my mind, all the evidence to date points to Avalon not delivery as promised. Therefore, I openly invite Team Avalon to sue me. Simply have your lawyer contact me (PM/email). I will then provide them my real name, address, etc., so that they can properly serve me papers.

To make the libel suit official--Avalon is a scam!

If I don't hear from their lawyer within 24 hours, then what I stated above is indeed fact.

By 3:00 CST tomorrow, I will report back here to state that either I have been contacted by their lawyers, or no-joy. If I'm not contacted, then the age-old adage "buyer beware" is in force, and anybody purchasing Batch #2 are ____________ (refrained from completely the sentence, though the last word can easily be surmised).

~Bruno K~

PS: Somebody quote me. I am not drunk and this account has not been hacked, which can be verified by the admins of this forum if proof is needed.
creativex

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:17:17 PM

In my mind, all the evidence to date points to Avalon not delivery as promised. Therefore, I openly invite Team Avalon to sue me. Simply have your lawyer contact me (PM/email). I will then provide them my real name, address, etc., so that they can properly serve me papers.

If I don't hear from their lawyer within 24 hours, then what I stated above is indeed fact.

By 3:00 CST tomorrow, I will report back here to state that either I have been contacted by their lawyers, or no-joy. If I'm not contacted, then the age-old adage "buyer beware" is in force, and anybody purchasing Batch #2 are ____________ (refrained from completely the sentence, though the last word can easily be surmised).

~Bruno K~

PS: Somebody quote me. I am not drunk and this account has not been hacked, which can be verified by the admins of this forum if proof is needed.

Drunken haxxor. Tongue

cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:18:03 PM

In china they don't sue you.
They simply send someone to visit you. They are more practical.

finkleshnorts

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:18:56 PM

~Bruno K~

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:20:51 PM

Indeed.

Its a joke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RFvAeSJgjc
I thought it was an interesting (and strangely slow paced).

I have never actually seen Star Wars. I don't even have a clue from what movie in the trilogy it is. I should go watch that movie someday.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 09:26:38 PM

In china they don't sue you.
They simply send someone to visit you. They are more practical.

No problem here. They'll have my address. We keep the doors unlocked. There are no guns in this home. There'll more than welcome to come by unannounced, but with a courtesy call, I'll make sure to have tea ready.
Beepbop

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 09:30:16 PM

President Obama is a shape shifting lizard from Mars. If I don't hear from the Secret Service within 24 hours, then what I stated above is indeed fact. P.S. It doesn't count if the Secret Service contacts me about Bitcoin.
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 09:37:46 PM

I thought it was an interesting (and strangely slow paced).

I have never actually seen Star Wars. I don't even have a clue from what movie in the trilogy it is. I should go watch that movie someday.

I don't know which movie either, but I would remember the scene anytime..

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:11:36 PM

I believe it is not a scam, but there are much more besides a working product, I think BFL feels like a well established business, while avalon feels the opposite, especially the custom service

Trance104

Activity: 206

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:16:49 PM

Your response "stinks", as coming from an insecure person "breathing" lies...

This is precisely why most people running bitcoin businesses or writing bitcoin software think the forum is a ghetto.

Back to ignore, you.

To bad the people running bitcoin businesses are all scammers. Look at bitcoinasic.net.... Who would have thought Tom to be a scammer? What a shame.

The community may talk down on "businesses", but with good reason.
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2013, 10:38:19 PM

This is precisely why most people running bitcoin businesses or writing bitcoin software think the forum is a ghetto.

Back to ignore, you.

To bad the people running bitcoin businesses are all scammers. Look at bitcoinasic.net.... Who would have thought Tom to be a scammer? What a shame.

Not entirely true. I imagine there are a number of businesses out there with wholehearted intentions. However, who do you think gets the most attention..a well-intentioned small business, or the latest scam to come to Bitcoin?

Oh, and Tom isn't a scammer (yet)...he just failed to run his business properly. People are still getting their refunds (slowly).

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 11:05:10 PM

I'm just goin' to leave this here:

By the regulation, the FCC DoC certification mark is mandatory for devices classified under part 15 (IT equipment like computers, switched-mode power supplies, monitors etc., television receivers, cable system devices, low-power transmitters, un-licensed personal communication devices) and part 18 (industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) devices that emit RF radiation) of the FCC regulations.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2013, 11:56:05 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2013, 04:14:31 AM by mrb

cedivad, you are wrong. Avalon is not a scam. Neither you nor I can prove our opinions quite yet - so just wait and see.

1) Yifu cannot give a tracking number because, I theorize, he used unofficial / alternative ways to get the package quickly to Jeff in order to work around typical delays caused by traditional shipping companies, exports customs, etc. Perhaps he had to bribe a carrier, or a customs agent, or ask a travelling friend to carry it on a plane, etc.

2) Yifu said "resistor" instead of "mosfets and inductors" in a heated post. He made a mistake. Big deal. Besides, even resistors/capacitors can cause a 4-6 week delay (which he wants to avoid) when ordered in quantities of about 1 million (each Avalon unit probably has 200 1200 resistors/capacitors, multiplied by 600 units = 720 thousand (Edit: fixed math)). It is also very likely that most of the resistors/capacitors would be the exact same model, as they will be used as a supporting logic for a device that is estimated to be composed of 80 ASICs or so (see my previous posts making this estimation). That's lots of repetitive identical logic blocks. Even Digikey in the US rarely carries individual models of SMD resistors in qantities of 1+ million. Here is a concrete example: only ~5% of the 4.7kOhm SMD resistors models on Digikey are available in quantities of 1+ million.

3) I perfectly understand the Avalon team's stance. Every piece of evidence posted by BFL has been criticized. Avalon saw that and said "f*ck this shit - we are not going to waste time arguing with these trolls - let them see the evidence once we ship. Period."

4) Ditto. They don't need to prove anything. Plus mining on the main net would anger customers as they would raise the difficulty level.

5) You will hear from Chinese customers (if any ordered) as soon as they get their units. Patience - they just barely started shipping!
Bugpowder

Activity: 394

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 12:00:53 AM

I think they've made clear that their counter-argument is going to be coming in a box with fans and ASICs in it. I'm just getting the popcorn. Being at the cutting edge of mining is a high-risk venture.

This is not the cutting edge of mining.  Its the latest scam.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 12:17:42 AM

I have never actually seen Star Wars.
I knew there was a reason I didn't like you.

But you can see Inaba's point tho, right?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
libertybuck

Activity: 137

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 12:30:24 AM

but I am sure all ASIC and FPGA boards have a DC to DC PSU.

I think so. If you have a Icarus or Lancelot FPGA boards you will know it is true.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 02:19:14 AM

Back to ignore, you.

It would surprise me not if most people participating in the forum itself felt this way.  In a funny way that is part of the appeal of it to me, but then again it is not robbing me of time I would be spending on worthwhile things ATM.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
fernarios

Activity: 616
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 03:58:26 AM

even resistors/capacitors can cause a 4-6 week delay (which he wants to avoid) when ordered in quantities of 1+ million (each Avalon unit probably has 200+ resistors/capacitors, multiplied by 600 units = 1.2 million).
>200*600=1 200 000

Roll Eyes
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 03:59:23 AM

even resistors/capacitors can cause a 4-6 week delay (which he wants to avoid) when ordered in quantities of 1+ million (each Avalon unit probably has 200+ resistors/capacitors, multiplied by 600 units = 1.2 million).
>200*600=1 200 000
Roll Eyes

Huh? You just confirmed my math.
greyhawk

Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:00:17 AM

do the math again
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:05:55 AM

Oops! Shame on me. Damn extra zeros.

If I may adjust my argument and estimation, the Avalon ASIC PCB shows about 15 resistors/capacitors per ASIC. I estimated earlier they will have about 80 ASICs per Avalon, so that's 1200 resistors/capacitors per Avalon, multiplied by 600 units = 720k resistors/capacitors. Not 1+ million but close.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:25:31 AM

If I may adjust my argument and estimation, the Avalon ASIC PCB shows about 15 resistors/capacitors per ASIC. I estimated earlier they will have about 80 ASICs per Avalon, so that's 1200 resistors/capacitors per Avalon, multiplied by 600 units = 720k resistors/capacitors. Not 1+ million but close.

Shouldn't be an issue... I just searched for a few random values picked from projects I've worked on recently.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?FV=fff40001%2Cfff800e9&vendor=0&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV1=112&PV16=5

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?FV=fff40001%2Cfff800e9&vendor=0&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV1=261&PV16=5

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?FV=fff40002%2Cfff8000b&vendor=0&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV13=40&PV16=5

look at the quantities available..

Also, the capacitors around the IC are likely to be power bypass capacitors, which can easily be substituted for with slightly different values

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:25:50 AM

He either checks the connecting ip or has the certificates on a pc there.

I do not have my hardware 2 factor auth

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 04:42:18 AM

Shouldn't be an issue... I just searched for a few random values picked from projects I've worked on recently.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?FV=fff40001%2Cfff800e9&vendor=0&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV1=112&PV16=5

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?FV=fff40001%2Cfff800e9&vendor=0&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV1=261&PV16=5

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?FV=fff40002%2Cfff8000b&vendor=0&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV13=40&PV16=5

look at the quantities available..

Also, the capacitors around the IC are likely to be power bypass capacitors, which can easily be substituted for with slightly different values

These links confirmed what I said: only ~5% of the models are available in quantity of 1+ million (eg. only 15 of the 325 models of the 10kΩ resistors you linked to).

I agree that in general they are mostly interchangeable. When I design a circuit, as a hobbyist, I tend to pick the models/manufacturers of components available in greatest quantities, as they are usually also the less expensive. But I am not a designer of Avalon. I don't know their constraints. I don't know their requirements. I can't speak for themselves. All I know is some electronics designers are picky about which specific manufacturer of components they choose.
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 11:34:02 AM

You know they'll fill that 2nd batch in hours right? Even with this total PR fail...

Why do u call it a fail ... once again its unknown ...so unknown can be yes...fear takes hold and...CaChing !

Also Demos always work exactly how u imagine them to work "in your mind"

A key to selling s/w to large orgs is to never show them the software.... talk about it but dont show them

It works exactly how they want it to in their minds eye...even with 3 org reps in the room with 3 different visions of how it operates ...everybody is happy with completely different peices of s/w...lol

Sad but VERY true... Cheesy

OBJECT NOT FOUND
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 11:37:29 AM

Back to ignore, you.

Actually ...All the CC's have refunded (by Dave) so @ this point bASIC is not a scam ..i think there is only 105BTC left

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 03:51:42 PM

5)

Why the fuck not? I think I should have taken orders like BFL, screwed people with their backorders, then I'll not run into any of the problem I currently run into order parts and shit. Now some how I'm the greedy one? Get real. In addition, We at Avalon still do not believe BFL will ship a working product during the next month, Feb, 2013, so we are being cautious. Or consider this, a real bigshot IC company comes out and produces a 40nm, or lower Bitcoin Mining ASIC, and everyone will be kind of screwed. small batches allow the network to scale properly and minimize risk for both parties, the seller and customer. Whatever though, at this point I don't expect anyone to understand.

Too bad I have to sift through all the BS to find the info because of the trash chucked about in this forum. Thanks for the info BitSyncom I can see that your level of frustration is growing and it is hard not to lash out. I appreciate that from what I have read of the Avalon posts from you and your team you are doing this as you go and are trying whatever you can to adapt to the given situation. Although it might seem implausible to some what you are putting out is a risky for both your business as well as the consumer. I wish you the best and I hope that you can push through the next few weeks and be vindicated. I see consistency in your vision and what you have put out to the community about your product and the development.  I think it is right that people should NOT risk purchasing any ASIC unless you are willing to lose your that money considering the fact the product is untested. The buyer has to BEWARE here and that is the bottom line. Weigh the risk if you are not willing to part with 1500 USD then don't do it simple as that. There is no SCAM. The conditions to pre-order this device are clear. If you don't like the terms don't put the money down. Pretty simple.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:18:45 PM

There is no SCAM.

Ah, nice. You must have quite a bit more information at hand than hundreds of the rest of us. Care to explain?

creativex

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:38:31 PM

He's been here since Christmas Eve man! ...obviously knows everything there is to know about all the principles. Roll Eyes

axus

Activity: 129

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 04:42:43 PM

Why does everything need to be ordered right away?  Let the first shipment go out, take a break.  There's no rush to start a second batch.  The first batch will get there.  Right?

By the way, are there any examples where people have called out a Bitcoin scam, and been wrong?
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:02:21 PM

He's been here since Christmas Eve man! ...obviously knows everything there is to know about all the principles. Roll Eyes

Ha, I know right. There's been quite a number of defensive newbies coming around all of a sudden. Seems suspicious Wink

Or maybe we're just jaded after being here for quite some time...  Cheesy

creativex

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:11:03 PM

I may be jaded, but I'm pretty sure sockpuppets exist. I saw one riding a unicorn just a bit ago. Tongue

cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:34:44 PM

I may be jaded, but I'm pretty sure sockpuppets exist. I saw one riding a unicorn just a bit ago. Tongue
+1

They are also too easy by far to detect. The result is confirming that I don't want to have nothing to so with avalon anymore.

nbtcminer

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:48:35 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2013, 07:15:16 PM by nbtcminer

+1

They are also too easy by far to detect. The result is confirming that I don't want to have nothing to so with avalon anymore.

@ cedivad:

Edit: bah I'm tired... Walletbit is the payment processor.
creativex

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:02:50 PM

It should be clear to everyone by now that producing an ASIC miner is significantly more difficult than producing FPGAs. Therefore evidence of successful FPGA products is not firm evidence that vendor xyz is capable of producing an ASIC mining device.

cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:18:38 PM

It should be clear to everyone by now that producing an ASIC miner is significantly more difficult than producing FPGAs. Therefore evidence of successful FPGA products is not firm evidence that vendor xyz is capable of producing an ASIC mining device.

Yes, it was the way i was gonna reply.

I also have no idea ho how they plan to convert 50kBTC to $ in a few hours without touching the market.

But hell, tomorrow is gonna be a hell of a day for the market.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:30:38 PM

Ha, I know right. There's been quite a number of defensive newbies coming around all of a sudden. Seems suspicious Wink

Or maybe we're just jaded after being here for quite some time...  Cheesy

BFL: Oh shit! They showed a screenshot!
BFL: <Wrings hands with worry>
BFL: Send in our Newbie clones! (Ala Star Wars)
Josh-Mual: We shall let our customers know of our delay in, I.N.C.R.E.M.E.N.T.S.

(Joking only)
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:30:46 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2013, 06:56:55 PM by Korbman

I feel that the conditions for Avalon's batch #2 don't seem to make any sort of financial or business sense. I'm actually really curious as to how they plan to get a vendor to accept 100k + of BTC and what the heck any vendor would do with such a large amount of BTC. Dumping it on the markets would simply devalue it and holding on it would not pay the bills.

Exactly! BFL utilizes BitPay to convert any BTC payments right to USD so they can cover their bills. Avalon just wants BTC sent to an address (as far as we've been told)...which is incredibly sketchy WalletBit. Not to mention I  doubt their mysterious supplier accepts Bitcoin to begin with...though it is possible, don't get me wrong.

From my point of view, this reeks of business incompetence...and we've seen how that turns out for other companies, from GLBSE to bASIC.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:35:34 PM

Avalon just wants BTC sent to an address (as far as we've been told)...which is incredibly sketchy.

Umm. Where did you read this?

Certainly Avalon will be using a payment processor like Bitpay or a similar processor. That just doesn't make since to me.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:38:16 PM

Avalon just wants BTC sent to an address (as far as we've been told)...which is incredibly sketchy.

Certainly Avalon will be using a payment processor like Bitpay or a similar processor. That just doesn't make since to me.
They will be using WalletBit. (Not some anonymous address)
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:39:43 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2013, 06:56:26 PM by Korbman

They will be using WalletBit. (Not some anonymous address)

My apologies for spreading FUD, seems I missed that part.

Adjusted original post.

cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:46:00 PM

And now the next question will be, why in earth they plan to convert to usd if they want to run with the money? The answer is that they will not IMO run with the money, they simply had production problem they hope to fix with this money.

creativex

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:49:04 PM

I agree. I think they had problems and hope to fix it. If this is the case, I wish they'd just come clean.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:58:10 PM

My Theory:

Avalon releases picture of a box (back end)
Response: It is a box of fans!

Avalon releases picture at a different angle.
Then releases pictures of a stat page.

Response: Kano says it looks like legitimate output and remarks on the revision number and date.
Response: Everyone else says nothing. Others say it is "FAKE!", "DOCTORED", "Photoshopped".

Jeff gets his review done after he gets the unit.
Response: Oh that nice, (4 seconds later) But this proves nothing. It only proves that it is one of two boxes. No, it is actually just one box. The REST DON'T WORK!

BitCoin Foundation gets theirs.
Response: WTF is mine!?

First 4 customers get theirs.
Response: WTF, Where are ours?! This is BS! They won't ship the rest!

Next 10 customers get theirs.
Response: Holy MF...Only 10?

Next 100 customers get theirs.
Response: Whatever, I bet they have boxes hidden somewhere and are mining with the other 200+ boards.

Last 200 customers get theirs.
Response: WTF! Where are my Batch 2 orders you SOB?

Feb 20th comes around.
Response: WTF? I bet they ran off with the money.

etc etc.
creativex

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:03:48 PM

Just because a few outliers may respond that way doesn't mean it reflects the majority opinion. Avalon had the best reputation of all the vendors. Recently that's been taking a tremendous beating and not without justification. Their behavior has changed dramatically since their shipping date came and went.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:07:44 PM

Just because a few outliers may respond that way doesn't mean it reflects the majority opinion. Avalon had the best reputation of all the vendors. Recently that's been taking a tremendous beating and not without justification. Their behavior has changed dramatically since their shipping date came and went.
Lets hope the level of proof comes and some fears are put to rest. (among the sane of mind at least)
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 07:19:25 PM

... Their behavior has changed dramatically since their shipping date came and went.
This, +1

If their only concern now is not being worst than BFL we're in deep trouble.

Whatever problem they have shipping this out of the country could be solved by renting a space and having the hardware mine for customers minus a fee. ...

That would only require ~68amp of 220v  Roll Eyes

I'm eager to hear what their problem is / was.
creativex

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:28:33 PM

Lets hope the level of proof comes and some fears are put to rest. (among the sane of mind at least)

Unfortunately, by opening their batch 2 order window tomorrow and making comments such as this:

A demonstration will come by a customer very soon, if you wish to wait until then, go ahead; but you then run into the risk of not making into batch #2

They're forcing people to make choices they shouldn't have to make and that ramps up the animosity. What do you suppose the chances are of an independent review of Avalon appearing today? When that doesn't happen folks will have to go on what they know about Avalon currently to make their decision about batch 2 purchases.

laSeek

Activity: 70

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 09:51:37 PM

Looks like Jeff received his package...
Should I hold my breath waiting for those crying scam to apologise? Wink

Litecoin Core Developer
 - Dev Repo - https://github.com/dasher/litecoin.git
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:53:29 PM

I apologize.

However my dubs where more than founded. I'm happy that this is an event that was described in my first post, Jeff receiving the unit at least 6 hours before the preorder starts.

I'm really happy of it.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 09:59:04 PM

They don't need to apologize.

I never cried "scam" and I always maintained that Avalon, at least, actually did ship. Even so, I side with the sceptical here. They did nothing wrong. They pointed out, however shallow the logic, that there was a chance that Avalon was a scam. This is more information to everyone. This helps avoid groupthink.

The doubters need not apologize. In fact, I would like to thank them. It helps prove to the real scammers how difficult it would be to scam the community, such that even legitimate products are labelled scams. It ensures a better, safer community in Bitcoin's future.
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 10:13:16 PM

I never cried "scam" and I always maintained that Avalon, at least, actually did ship. Even so, I side with the sceptical here. They did nothing wrong. They pointed out, however shallow the logic, that there was a chance that Avalon was a scam. This is more information to everyone. This helps avoid groupthink.

The doubters need not apologize. In fact, I would like to thank them. It helps prove to the real scammers how difficult it would be to scam the community, such that even legitimate products are labelled scams. It ensures a better, safer community in Bitcoin's future.

No. Most critics did not say there is a "chance". They said with absolute certainty "it is a scam". Cedivad included: check his thread title.

These uninformed and misguided critics have been the root cause of most of the trolling and fights on this forum.
Trance104

Activity: 206

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:15:36 PM

I can only hope that everyone gets their orders and they all work minus 2 - 3 lemons.

At least ONE person got his. It's stange how all the Chinese orders haven't gotten theirs yet, but the one influential voice in the BTC community got his. I wouldn't be surprised if it "Gets even more GH than claimed!".

We'll see how that one goes. Price increase in batch 2... BTC only... No customer service... If it doesn't work when you get it, "too bad". They are going to walk away with the money. Let Jeff leave his DAZZLING review of the product. We'll see batch 2 sell out and Avalon disappear.

Cheers!  Grin
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:26:24 PM

No. Most critics did not say there is a "chance". They said with absolute certainty "it is a scam". Cedivad included: check his thread title.

These uninformed and misguided critics have been the root cause of most of the trolling and fights on this forum.

Look at my first point. For the info we had 2 hours ago, it was a certain scam. Now everything changed.

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 10:28:58 PM

http://garzikrants.blogspot.co.uk/

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
laSeek

Activity: 70

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 10:40:31 PM

I apologize.

However my dubs where more than founded. I'm happy that this is an event that was described in my first post, Jeff receiving the unit at least 6 hours before the preorder starts.

I'm really happy of it.

Respect & +1 cedivad - real men aren't afraid to be corrected - stand up for what you believe.
I don't fault Avalon for trying to do things the way they feel is best for them - I don't think they've handled their customers particularly well recently - but they've been better than many and it turns out substance over hype is a better suit for how they want to be seen.  At the end of the day they've come through.  Nice job.

Litecoin Core Developer
 - Dev Repo - https://github.com/dasher/litecoin.git
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
bce

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 11:02:32 PM

Wow, the Avalon may be a beast (power consumption / size), but that's a really clean case and internal layout.   Now, let's see if it can perform, and if Jeff can post a review prior to the opening of pre-order batch #2 Cheesy   This drama is just too good - and for that alone, thanks to team Avalon!    
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 11:12:11 PM

Now, let's see if it can perform, and if Jeff can post a review prior to the opening of pre-order batch #2 Cheesy   This drama is just too good - and for that alone, thanks to team Avalon!    

Hear, hear!  This season of All My Bitcoins is turning out to be a smash hit.  The upcoming difficulty doubling episode is even more exciting than the block halving!

I will never forget where I was when Jeff posted pics of the first consumer ASIC.

Best drama around, besides Utopia of course.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Beepbop

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:00:16 AM

Why does everything need to be ordered right away?  Let the first shipment go out, take a break.  There's no rush to start a second batch. 
There is a huge rush for both them and their customers, to get mining before the difficulty goes up or Bitcoin gets hit with some unpredictable event, like another flash crash, flaw found in the protocol, or MtGox raided, Silk Road shut down, or whatever. It's a bit like an arms race.
Beepbop

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:06:06 AM

Look at my first point. For the info we had 2 hours ago, it was a certain scam. Now everything changed.
So it's Schrödingers box of fans: It both is and is not a certain scam at the same time, but when you open the box it has to be one or the other.
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 12:18:13 AM

Idiot........

http://garzikrants.blogspot.se

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
Beepbop

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 12:21:26 AM

I hope you're not referring to me, because if you look over my post history, I thought Avalon ASICs were legit.
mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 02:48:08 AM

Most critics did not say there is a "chance". They said with absolute certainty "it is a scam". Cedivad included: check his thread title.

You were poorly informed, because multiple details apparently unknown to you indicated that Avalon was likely legit:
- history of the guys, long-term members of this community (ngzhang and yifu had made and sold fpga devices, I personally bought fpgas from yifu)
- very conservative and plausible power consumption (150 Mhash/Joule)
- old 110nm tech, easier to design at than 65nm

I replied to your points of concern, but you seem to have ignored or not seen them:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=139725.msg1489135#msg1489135

I guess I am more interested in the psychology of this debate: what could we have said differently that would have changed your mind, that perhaps Avalon was legit? I am sure this boils down to poor communication and sharing of information between forum members. I am trying to understand how the communication can be improved. Because if it can be improved, there would be a lot fewer debates and arguments on these forums, hence it would improve the quality of the forum as a whole (and I am really interested in improving it.)
creativex

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:19:13 AM

How would fewer debates and arguments improve anything? The salient points nearly always spring from the passionate debates/arguments.

Congrats Avalon, I haven't had much time to look over Jeff's posts yet, but the product he received looks very impressive.

mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 03:39:17 AM

How would fewer debates and arguments improve anything? The salient points nearly always spring from the passionate debates/arguments.

Congrats Avalon, I haven't had much time to look over Jeff's posts yet, but the product he received looks very impressive.

Yes, salient points come out of passionate debates. What I meant to say is that there was a lot of repetition: the same arguments, repeated over and over, with people apparently never moving forward.
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:00:13 AM

Most critics did not say there is a "chance". They said with absolute certainty "it is a scam". Cedivad included: check his thread title.

You were poorly informed, because multiple details apparently unknown to you indicated that Avalon was likely legit:
- history of the guys, long-term members of this community (ngzhang and yifu had made and sold fpga devices, I personally bought fpgas from yifu)
- very conservative and plausible power consumption (150 Mhash/Joule)
- old 110nm tech, easier to design at than 65nm

I replied to your points of concern, but you seem to have ignored or not seen them:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=139725.msg1489135#msg1489135

I guess I am more interested in the psychology of this debate: what could we have said differently that would have changed your mind, that perhaps Avalon was legit? I am sure this boils down to poor communication and sharing of information between forum members. I am trying to understand how the communication can be improved. Because if it can be improved, there would be a lot fewer debates and arguments on these forums, hence it would improve the quality of the forum as a whole (and I am really interested in improving it.)

Not sure if trolling me or what. I knew that, however BFL has possible numbers, an history as FPGA maker and yet to ship. bAsics, almost the same. The whole forum was sure that this was a scam, the FACT that we where told lies is enought to prove it: why the Chinese customers didn't get their units if the only problem what to pass Chinese customs? Do we really belive that, again? They have problems they don't wont to admit with this avalon. Full point.
The million dollar they will get tomorrow will most probably fix these problems.

I think that you are the uninformed.

Edit, yes, I readed your post at the time but didn't tought it was worth replying. Everyone belive what they want to belive, you are one of the guys that would have paid in btc even without Jeff receiving its unit. You cannot say that hey, they just started shipping to Chinese customers, you can't except them to already have them. Yes, not in 3 days, but what about 2 weeks? Seriously? Also, the lack of the video, how do you seriously justify it? It dosent make any sense. Sorry, I'm from my phone and don't have the time right now to answer properly. I hope to have made a few points anyway.

mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 06:28:59 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2013, 07:22:35 AM by mrb

Not sure if trolling me or what. I knew that, however BFL has possible numbers, an history as FPGA maker and yet to ship. bAsics, almost the same. The whole forum was sure that this was a scam, the FACT that we where told lies is enought to prove it: why the Chinese customers didn't get their units if the only problem what to pass Chinese customs? Do we really belive that, again? They have problems they don't wont to admit with this avalon. Full point.
The million dollar they will get tomorrow will most probably fix these problems.

I think that you are the uninformed.

Edit, yes, I readed your post at the time but didn't tought it was worth replying. Everyone belive what they want to belive, you are one of the guys that would have paid in btc even without Jeff receiving its unit. You cannot say that hey, they just started shipping to Chinese customers, you can't except them to already have them. Yes, not in 3 days, but what about 2 weeks? Seriously? Also, the lack of the video, how do you seriously justify it? It dosent make any sense. Sorry, I'm from my phone and don't have the time right now to answer properly. I hope to have made a few points anyway.

That's ok, take your time to reply when you are in front of a PC.

- "the whole forum was sure this was a scam" -> On the contrary, if you read the forums carefully you will find a very small number of critics with no credibility, and/or a history of trolling, making a lot of posts, but there is a much larger number of supporters (older accounts with more credence) who only defend ASIC vendors occasionally. The mere fact that BFL has so many preorders proves the large number of believers/supporters (and yes some of these customers in line are here just for the quick money and have no idea of the risks) - this is one of the reasons I say you are misinformed, because you failed to distinguish the general opinion of the forum members - but this is not your fault - it takes a lot of time to sift through the posts to filter out who can be trusted, who has the credentials, what information is important, etc

- "Chinese customers not speaking" -> firstly it is likely that ngzhang/yifu has literally just RUSHED a handful of units to the world so far, and that not a single Chinese customer was in this first shipped group (the bitcoin community is small in China compared to the rest of the world), plus there is the language barrier and they frequent different Bitcoin-related sites (have you seen the ridiculously small number of members posting in the Chinese subforum of bitcointalk.org?)

- "lack of video" -> If you were infomed, you would know that Yifu has explained they don't want to waste time trying to argue with critics, by providing videos, pictures, and so on, and that they would rather simply let the customers provide reviews/credibility. Again - not your fault to not know that - Yifu's post explaining their stance was buried deep in a thread.

Really I am asking you the question: is there anything we could have said that would have convinced you? Pointing out the top 10 most relevant posts from Yifu/ngzhang? Again I am just interested in the psychological aspects of the debate - sorry if you think I am trolling.
Bicknellski

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:18:37 PM

Some vindication... let's continue to watch as more and more units come online over the next few weeks. That makes you feel better I bet Avalon... but you knew it would happen and if you
were able to read between the lines you could see that the building frustration and anxiety in the posts by BitSyncom was to me a dead give away this guys gives a shit about his product. You can't fake that sort of thing. He is invested and it comes through in his posts. Not a SCAM. Now let's see what BFL has to offer it's believers.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
bitmar

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:23:36 PM

Does anyone know if Jeff was testing on "test net" without access to the Internet ? Avalon rig, may only be a controller for FPGA mine in China ( it's simple to implement). I know it sounds stupidly  but it should be the last final test. Jeff, if you're reading this, please check it.
Bicknellski

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:23:41 PM

There is no SCAM.

Ah, nice. You must have quite a bit more information at hand than hundreds of the rest of us. Care to explain?

The consistency of BitSyncom posts warranted the THERE IS NO SCAM comment.

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:30:25 PM

- "the whole forum was sure this was a scam" -> On the contrary, if you read the forums carefully you will find a very small number of critics with no credibility, and/or a history of trolling, making a lot of posts, but there is a much larger number of supporters (older accounts with more credence) who only defend ASIC vendors occasionally. The mere fact that BFL has so many preorders proves the large number of believers/supporters (and yes some of these customers in line are here just for the quick money and have no idea of the risks) - this is one of the reasons I say you are misinformed, because you failed to distinguish the general opinion of the forum members - but this is not your fault - it takes a lot of time to sift through the posts to filter out who can be trusted, who has the credentials, what information is important, etc

Actually it's been the opposite in this case. A number of veterans here cast doubt over Avalon as a result of their sudden "BFL like" behavior, which is a lot more than I can say about the nonsense that surrounded BFL for quite some time. Avalon started out with some transparency, but when it came time to package and ship they suddenly went secretive. That's never usually a good sign, and resulted in quite a bit of reasonable unease. It was the "newbie" accounts that kept popping up noting Avalon wasn't a scam and that we were overreacting.

Given the information (or lack thereof) we had available to us, I found the unease and pessimistic speculation justified, if not warranted. People can only make informed decisions with information...take that away and we're left with our imaginations.

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:33:00 PM

There is no SCAM.

Consistency, eh? Funny, coming from the guy who's account is a month old... Wink

Bicknellski

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:41:29 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2013, 04:05:34 PM by Bicknellski

There is no SCAM.

Consistency, eh? Funny, coming from the guy who's account is a month old... Wink

You do know it is a forum and one can read past posts right? What does having a one month old account have to do with making an assessment based on the characteristics of the posts being made? BitSyncom from the earliest posts was pretty matter of fact about what he was proposing and why even though they were behind other teams was willing to go forward basically because there needed to be others in the ASIC game. I don't get why people would immediately jump to wild speculation considering the measured way things progressed in the forum posts. Go through and just read it. Unfortunately a lot of what is posted on top of the Avalon threads is not worth the time to read. This thread though certainly made me stand up and notice that BitSyncom was at wits end and was dying for some vindication. Good he got some... let's hope there is more to come.

Unlike many who seem to have vested interest in the outcome of this "scam" I do not. I think that gives me a different perspective than most who post here. Maybe being a NUB in this case is a good thing. Seems as if many people simply enjoy stirring the pot or are wildly over invested making claims and statements that have no basis if fact. Speculation is no matter how reasoned is still speculation. The guys from Avalon had experience had shipped other units in the past and have had a long history in Bitcoin. Why would I jump on board with the rest of the naysayers? Better to be pessimistic and as well informed as possible rather than speculating wildly with no evidence. They shipped... so just wait... that was the right response... considering the amount of information posted by BitSyncom and the track record of BitSyncom one could have easily waited patiently... seems to me there was anxiety produced without any evidence.

greyhawk

Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:42:33 PM

Does anyone know if Jeff was testing on "test net" without access to the Internet ? Avalon rig, may only be a controller for FPGA mine in China ( it's simple to implement). I know it sounds stupidly  but it should be the last final test. Jeff, if you're reading this, please check it.

Yeah, also what if Avalon's are secretly not miners at all but are instead signalling the K'Thai-Gedek from Proxima Centauri that the time for the strikefleet to march has come?
nbtcminer

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 03:52:32 PM

There is no SCAM.

Consistency of a post doesn't mean anything. I could be consistently helpful for a year and then suddenly become an asshole. That doesn't mean I was / will always be right on what I'm saying. I only felt the need to come back and defend myself (since I'm one of those who was a doubter) since the situation up to yesterday was doubtful at best and scammy at worst. A good business leader / marketer/ customer will walk away from this whole mess having learned that:

1.) As a business representative, you shouldn't tell the public one thing and then not live up to it; it breeds distrust. (I'm talking about the live demo)

2.) Doing a second round of orders (100% down) before anyone gets round one is probably a bad idea. We're still in the wildwest of BTC mining here and anything that smells like a scam has to scrutinized for others to know about.

3.) Business reps should not take things personally and get angry over accusations that their product isn't shipping / no one has it yet. The whole lack of tracking numbers / JGarzik not knowing where his package was lead to a lot of people getting concerned over (what has now turned out to be) nothing.

Now I have already applauded BitSyncom and team Avalon on shipping their first unit and I look forward to them shipping more units from Batch 1 & 2. However that doesn't mean that my concerns as a customer wasn't warranted or justified; it just means I'm less worried now that there is more proof in the market that their products exist and work. Cavet Emptor ("Buyer Beware") is a motto has served buyers for centuries and will likely do so well into our future. You should consider the feelings of the other side and see that their actions might not have been malicious but actually that of worried current or potential customers.
Bicknellski

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:01:37 PM

There is no SCAM.

Consistency of a post doesn't mean anything. I could be consistently helpful for a year and then suddenly become an asshole. That doesn't mean I was / will always be right on what I'm saying. I only felt the need to come back and defend myself (since I'm one of those who was a doubter) since the situation up to yesterday was doubtful at best and scammy at worst. A good business leader / marketer/ customer will walk away from this whole mess having learned that:

1.) As a business representative, you shouldn't tell the public one thing and then not live up to it; it breeds distrust. (I'm talking about the live demo)

2.) Doing a second round of orders (100% down) before anyone gets round one is probably a bad idea. We're still in the wildwest of BTC mining here and anything that smells like a scam has to scrutinized for others to know about.

3.) Business reps should not take things personally and get angry over accusations that their product isn't shipping / no one has it yet. The whole lack of tracking numbers / JGarzik not knowing where his package was lead to a lot of people getting concerned over (what has now turned out to be) nothing.

Now I have already applauded BitSyncom and team Avalon on shipping their first unit and I look forward to them shipping more units from Batch 1 & 2. However that doesn't mean that my concerns as a customer wasn't warranted or justified; it just means I'm less worried now that there is more proof in the market that their products exist and work. Cavet Emptor ("Buyer Beware") is a motto has served buyers for centuries and will likely do so well into our future. You should consider the feelings of the other side and see that their actions might not have been malicious but actually that of worried current or potential customers.

Could careless who is offended. The posts put forth a good argument that Avalon was capable and knowlegable and had a history in Bitcoin. Those who seemed to fan the flames of doubt based all their concerns on nothing more than speculation. Again too many of you people seem overly invested in BFL camp or the AVALON camp to really get any perspective. Again I posted yesterday that it is buyer beware... and that is a risk you can make if you know that losing 1500 USD is ok. It is laughable how many different theories were put out as to why Avalon hadn't shipped yet. Laughable. It was pure entertainment but you know what. BitSyncom wasn't laughing... he got pissed and that is understandable given the number of purely idiotic posts and accusations that were made. If you can't see that then you are part of the problem I guess.

axus

Activity: 129

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:07:53 PM

I posted in the Avalon apology thread.  I was wrong, they didn't scam anyone.  However, it remains to be seen how they handle problems with the initial units.  But now people can place an order knowing that it's possible, and very likely that they will not be ripped off.
Bicknellski

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:14:24 PM

Not everyone wanted to speculate... some seemed to agree that being patient was the right tactic.

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:23:14 PM

What does having a one month old account have to do with making an assessment based on the characteristics of the posts being made?

[...]

I don't get why people would immediately jump to wild speculation considering the measured way things progressed in the forum posts.

Seems you just answered your own question..though I'm still unsure if you're a puppet account or not. Anyway, I was pointing out that a lack of substantial existence in this community (as in any community really) generally leads to naive posts...solely because you haven't become as skeptical as the rest of us. The world of Bitcoin isn't nearly as forgiving as a regulated market.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

creativex

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:38:38 PM

There is no SCAM.

Excellent post. There's nothing you can count on to protect you in this wide open BTC market aside from your own common sense. A large dose of skepticism is a survival necessity here. Though I'm pleased things have taken a turn for the better, Avalon was behaving in a very unprofessional manner and they had the criticism coming IMO.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:46:13 PM

Though I'm pleased things have taken a turn for the better, Avalon was behaving in a very unprofessional manner and they had the criticism coming IMO.
Was? Past tense? I was relieved when they postponed the 2nd batch orders. They literally have 1 unit in customer's hands. One. Uno. Lets see a majority of those 300 units shipped, and then talk about a 2nd batch.

creativex

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 04:50:17 PM

Though I'm pleased things have taken a turn for the better, Avalon was behaving in a very unprofessional manner and they had the criticism coming IMO.
Was? Past tense? I was relieved when they postponed the 2nd batch orders. They literally have 1 unit in customer's hands. One. Uno. Lets see a majority of those 300 units shipped, and then talk about a 2nd batch.

Interesting. By that logic BFL should immediately suspend new orders until they have SOMETHING shipped.

ONE >>>>>> ZERO

creativex

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 05:07:49 PM

You're going to hate the third batch then. Grin

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 06:07:16 PM

Interesting. By that logic BFL should immediately suspend new orders until they have SOMETHING shipped.

ONE >>>>>> ZERO
Well first, BFL isn't doing things in batches like Avalon is. And even if they were, and had only shipped one unit, I'd be saying the same thing. Until there is a large percentage of purchased units in customer's hands, why are they actively pursuing more sales?

creativex

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 06:18:22 PM

ONE >>>>>> ZERO
Well first, BFL isn't doing things in batches like Avalon is. And even if they were, and had only shipped one unit, I'd be saying the same thing. Until there is a large percentage of purchased units in customer's hands, why are they actively pursuing more sales?

WHAT?

Just because BFL is a bottomless batch 1 pit makes it okay for them to soak up millions in pre-orders over the course of EIGHT MONTHS without delivering anything but t-shirts and coffee mugs, but bad on Avalon for opening a 2nd batch(900 units total) whilst only having confirmed shipping one working ASIC unit?

Blatantly double standard much?

mrb
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 06:34:11 PM

Actually it's been the opposite in this case. A number of veterans here cast doubt over Avalon as a result of their sudden "BFL like" behavior, which is a lot more than I can say about the nonsense that surrounded BFL for quite some time. Avalon started out with some transparency, but when it came time to package and ship they suddenly went secretive. That's never usually a good sign, and resulted in quite a bit of reasonable unease. It was the "newbie" accounts that kept popping up noting Avalon wasn't a scam and that we were overreacting.

Given the information (or lack thereof) we had available to us, I found the unease and pessimistic speculation justified, if not warranted. People can only make informed decisions with information...take that away and we're left with our imaginations.

Well, what can I say... you were wrong too about interpreting the forum's general opinion. "The number of veterans" who casted doubt about Avalon were almost all posters with no credibitily, no trust, and a history of trolling and making wrong guesses. Just because someone is a veteran (has a high post count) does not mean he can be trusted.

I challenge you to list 5 trusted veterans who expressed a high certainty that Avalon was a scam -> you will not find any.

That's a skill you have to learn on a forum like this: determining who can be trusted in what they say/think vs. who is uninformed. A good starting point is to look at how dark the poster's "ignore" link is (the darker = the more persons chose to ignore him because what he says is not valuable).
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 06:41:48 PM

I challenge you to list 5 trusted veterans who expressed a high certainty that Avalon was a scam -> you will not find any.

You're exactly right, I won't find any "trusted veterans" based on your criteria of "high certainty". As you may have missed, I believe I phrased it like this:
A number of veterans here cast doubt over Avalon as a result of their sudden "BFL like" behavior [...]

You seem to be under the impression that this particular phrase is a synonym for "high certainty", which is far from the case and a probable cause for your confusion.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:04:04 PM

ONE >>>>>> ZERO
WHAT?

Just because BFL is a bottomless batch 1 pit makes it okay for them to soak up millions in pre-orders over the course of EIGHT MONTHS without delivering anything but t-shirts and coffee mugs, but bad on Avalon for opening a 2nd batch(900 units total) whilst only having confirmed shipping one working ASIC unit?

I can see how it can sound hypocritical, but that's not the way I intended that to sound.

BFL is continuously accepting pre-orders, even tho they haven't shipped yet, I get that. However, Josh's interactions here and on the BFL forums have been large in response to current customers (and trolls, but we won't go there). I haven't seen them actively trying to get new customers. In fact, Josh has said that when their Single do ship, the product will speak for itself.

But then we get Avalon, who was supposed to be opening pre-orders for Batch 2, with some very severe stipulations: 1) They had only shipped 1 product to 1 customer. 2) BTC only (aka no cc chargebacks). 3) No refunds, under any circumstance. Those 3 just made it sound a lil fishy, and I was glad when they postponed. Postponing gives #1 time to hopefully fix itself, and maybe they'd consider #2, or at the very least #3.

king_pin

Activity: 416

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 08:20:20 PM

My personal opinion is that:

Jeff is in on the AVALON scam too.

He mysteriously receives it in the last moment, so he doesn't have time to make a proper review.
NOW, 24 hours after he received it, all he posts 6 real photos and some shit a kid can do with Photoshop, when he knows there are close to a million $$$ at stake.

Help to save a persons life with BITCOIN - http://www.bitcoinsaves.org/en/
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:27:03 PM

He mysteriously receives it in the last moment, so he doesn't have time to make a proper review.
NOW, 24 hours after he received it, all he posts 6 real photos and some shit a kid can do with Photoshop, when he knows there are close to a million $$$ at stake.

Well, yes, why not? After all, we have only seen a single unit. Over 300, one.

BUT.

What's the freaking sense in this to delay the second batch preorder? They could be already between the 2 tropics by now if they didn't stopped the preorder. So, i don't agree this time.

creativex

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:27:56 PM

ONE >>>>>> ZERO
WHAT?

I can see how it can sound hypocritical, but that's not the way I intended that to sound.

BFL is continuously accepting pre-orders, even tho they haven't shipped yet, I get that. However, Josh's interactions here and on the BFL forums have been large in response to current customers (and trolls, but we won't go there). I haven't seen them actively trying to get new customers. In fact, Josh has said that when their Single do ship, the product will speak for itself.

But then we get Avalon, who was supposed to be opening pre-orders for Batch 2, with some very severe stipulations: 1) They had only shipped 1 product to 1 customer. 2) BTC only (aka no cc chargebacks). 3) No refunds, under any circumstance. Those 3 just made it sound a lil fishy, and I was glad when they postponed. Postponing gives #1 time to hopefully fix itself, and maybe they'd consider #2, or at the very least #3.

Just because Josh defines nearly everyone that finds fault with BFL as a troll doesn't make it so, regardless how much he blows on advertising. Yes advertising. Just how much *IS* BFL spending to advertise their vaporware before they've shipped anything at all? Wanna bet it's several times what Avalon is spending? ...this despite the fact that Avalon has shipped an ASIC product and BFL well...they do have some boxed up fans, though they're not for sale yet. I don't see a lot of Avalon signatures bought off either...BFL on the other hand...

CES? How much was spent for BFL to advertise their non-shipping ASIC products there? Why do they keep pumping the ad budget when they have as many shipping ASICs as I do? Let's at least apply the same standards.

I'm also not pleased with Avalon's no refund BTC only policies.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 09:11:17 PM

Just because Josh defines nearly everyone that finds fault with BFL as a troll doesn't make it so, regardless how much he blows on advertising.

I'm also not pleased with Avalon's no refund BTC only policies.
No I'm not saying everyone who has valid concerns about BFL is a troll. I'm saying you take yourself, PL, and smoothie out of the BFL thread, and it wouldn't have had to be split by the mods and started over. That's what I consider trolling.

creativex

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 09:22:51 PM

Right. Open discussion is fine as long as it's favorable to companies that advertise on bitcointalk.org. Check.

I'd have avoided the part about BFL still advertising like mad without shipping anything if I were you too btw. What kin ya say? Now there's some sketchy business tactics.

crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 09:23:01 PM

Do you even read or even talk in irc chat with him posting status the thing is real and not doctored Photoshop images. He posted starts connected to slush pool mining and the intire mining army on their confirmed his status and connection and detials of it.

GO troll somewhere else or learn to read up on posts, threads, chats and facts before shouting FAKE.The product is real. However remains to be said who else actually has one and the location to 299 more.

Even I know this could well be a ta-ticket to get others to buy into it and still be a scam. 1 unit is proof that hardware can be manufactured to make such items. But the main question is whee are the videos, other customers that bought where are they with theirs. They are still indeed a lot of questions unanswered however time will tell.

If customers start popping up and making videos and sending their proof in that they have then am all buy buy but, but until theirs more out their and solid proof of 300 actually running around and not just 1 box then I will up hold my verdict until theirs more proof. 1 BOX AND DEVELOPED ON BTC IS FAVORITISM MUCH

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 01:19:56 AM

Right. Open discussion is fine as long as it's favorable to companies that advertise on bitcointalk.org. Check.

I'd have avoided the part about BFL still advertising like mad without shipping anything if I were you too btw. What kin ya say? Now there's some sketchy business tactics.

But....BFL hasn't said "Units have shipped!!!",so we all know they are still working on them & no one is expecting delivery.Avalon customers were told "We're shipping!!!" & only 1 has recieved a unit.Are there more in transit  Huh No one knows.....................Thats the main beef,no info or communication about the other 298 units (2 were shipped from Avalon per thier post).

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
king_pin

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 01:40:25 AM

I know we have no reason to doubt him accept he is human!
Now honestly wouldn't you lie if they offered you lets say 100 000$ or 10% of the whole scam?
And dude u are really simple if you believe things that a people say on irc, forums etc. if there are money involved.

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 01:59:44 AM

I know we have no reason to doubt him accept he is human!
Now honestly wouldn't you lie if they offered you lets say 100 000$ or 10% of the whole scam?
And dude u are really simple if you believe things that a people say on irc, forums etc. if there are money involved.

Stop spamming the same post in every Avalon thread.  If you weren't so busy spamming you'd know that Bitcoin Foundation has posted a video of their Avalon unit in action.

Thats the main beef,no info or communication about the other 298 units (2 were shipped from Avalon per thier post).

This might change now.  It looks like the delivery of the first two units was intended to coincide with Yifu's 23rd birthday (Jeff already posted that he wasn't meant to get his yesterday) and the announcement that Batch 2 units will have room for 6 boards. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
king_pin

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 02:12:38 AM

Stop spamming the same post in every Avalon thread.  If you weren't so busy spamming you'd know that Bitcoin Foundation has posted a video of their Avalon unit in action.
Please post a link with the video, I can't find it.  Huh

WoW I found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk_c3QE_1aE
You call this a video Cheesy Cheesy
Well it is better than nothing, I agree, might convince me soon Smiley

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 02:16:46 AM

Please post a link with the video, I can't find it.  Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk_c3QE_1aE&feature=youtu.be

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 05:40:01 AM

If it is a scam it's a really really good one.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
dree12
Legendary

Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:45:12 AM

If it is a scam it's a really really good one.

They had to get Bitcoin Foundation into the scam. So that's the entire core developer team, BitInstant, Mt. Gox, and a whole lot more. Wow.
creativex

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 08:43:23 AM

But....BFL hasn't said "Units have shipped!!!",so we all know they are still working on them & no one is expecting delivery.Avalon customers were told "We're shipping!!!" & only 1 has recieved a unit.Are there more in transit  Huh No one knows.....................Thats the main beef,no info or communication about the other 298 units (2 were shipped from Avalon per thier post).

Correct. The appropriate BFLism is "We've scheduled shipments for blah blah" because no one can prove you haven't scheduled a shipment.

bce

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 09:53:36 AM

Stop spamming the same post in every Avalon thread.  If you weren't so busy spamming you'd know that Bitcoin Foundation has posted a video of their Avalon unit in action.
Please post a link with the video, I can't find it.  Huh

WoW I found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk_c3QE_1aE
You call this a video Cheesy Cheesy
Well it is better than nothing, I agree, might convince me soon Smiley

Kingpin is in on it!  Cheesy
king_pin

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 12:15:27 PM

LOL Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Yeah they may need a person like me so they look more real.
But I still don't understand why don't they post some undeniable proof, and make me and people like me sthu one and forever.
Until that moment comes I still say its a scam, or at least they are lying to some extend, just like BFL, and today a new delay was posted about batch 2. Why?

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:26:59 PM

But I still don't understand why don't they post some undeniable proof, and make me and people like me sthu one and forever.

They've tried...but you keep letting your paranoia get the best of you Sad

Beepbop

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:28:49 PM

There are still people who claim that 9/11 didn't happen, or was a controlled demoloition, and no amount of evidence will convince them otherwise. Likewise for the Moon landings. Every new piece of evidence is just something to be explained away with handwaving and ever more complex Ptolemaic models of the Solar System, and then ignored and conveniently forgotten about in the next discussion thread. Real Internet super-Herros they are.
creativex

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 03:42:41 PM

There are still people who claim that 9/11 didn't happen, or was a controlled demoloition, and no amount of evidence will convince them otherwise. Likewise for the Moon landings. Every new piece of evidence is just something to be explained away with handwaving and ever more complex Ptolemaic models of the Solar System, and then ignored and conveniently forgotten about in the next discussion thread. Real Internet super-Herros they are.

Might have something to do with WTC7 bud...unless you really believe a small office fire can cause a steel framed skyscraper to enter physically impossible freefall and collapse on it's own footprint. If you do believe that, I'd like to sell you a bridge.

LOL Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Yeah they may need a person like me so they look more real.
Until that moment comes I still say its a scam, or at least they are lying to some extend, just like BFL, and today a new delay was posted about batch 2. Why?

Seems the only proof you'll accept is for everyone at bitcoin foundation to drive their new 88Gh Avalon to your home, hook it up for you, and hash for you.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=112

They exist man...get over it.

As to batch 2 they're still changing specs. This update occurred while I was typing what appears ^^ up there.

Modular Layout
Avalon units are capable of holding up to fourmultiple hashing modules. These modules are independent; three come preinstalled, one upgrade slot is available. and upgrade slot(s) is available.

The new spec seems to call for 6 slots and not 4.

Beepbop

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 04:20:32 PM

Might have something to do with WTC7 bud...
Might have something to do with WTC 1 and 2 not exactly falling in on their footprint, but more like throwing tons of debris into WTC 7, thus weakening it, and then setting it on fire. And then falling with no faster than Earth gravity would predict. If you want to take this to another thread, feel free. But for the purposes of this thread:
QED to my post, some people have fixed ideas and will never be convinced by any evidence.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:32:33 PM

For my part, I find the moon landing doubt rather absurd.  OTOH, the hypothesis that some Muslims in some caves half way around the world pulled off is 9/11 much much weaker then that it was organized largely by a handful of people who had significant influence over systems in the US.  Over the decade, the latter hypothesis is simply proven to be much better at explaining the observations of the event.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Beepbop

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:52:29 PM

Terrorists - including the ones in this case - tend to be educated people and from the upper middle class. Their mindset might be from the Middle Ages, but their tactics and technology are not. Jews will be blamed for Bitcoin if it ever becomes successful. Mark my words.
creativex

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:54:35 PM

Might have something to do with WTC7 bud...
Might have something to do with WTC 1 and 2 not exactly falling in on their footprint, but more like throwing tons of debris into WTC 7, thus weakening it, and then setting it on fire. And then falling with no faster than Earth gravity would predict. If you want to take this to another thread, feel free. But for the purposes of this thread:
QED to my post, some people have fixed ideas and will never be convinced by any evidence.

The idea of debris weakening it so it could fall directly through the path of greatest resistance(str8 down) at the maximum acceleration allowed by the earth's gravitational pull is so absurd I find it insulting that you even bothered to type it. How can tons and tons of steel and concrete offer ZERO resistance? The answer is painfully obvious btw. If that's all you got then there's no point in wasting a thread as claiming the laws of physics didn't apply that day is not evidence.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:31:47 PM

Jews will be blamed for Bitcoin if it ever becomes successful.

They'll probably be blamed if Bitcoin fails as well.  What can ya do?

superfastkyle

Activity: 437

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:16:22 AM

The thing that bothers me the most about this so called proof is, the reason most of you believe avalon delivered as fact is because a reputable member is telling you so. Have you not learned anything? From Bitcoinica's owners running off with a half million, pirate (who everyone vouched for) $5 million plus theft, theymos trying to sell worthless stock, Nefario's bullshit, Patrick's bullshit, Matthews bet failure. I don't believe anyone on this forum and I'm not going to start anytime soon.
Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:24:15 AM

The thing that bothers me the most about this so called proof is, the reason most of you believe avalon delivered as fact is because a reputable member is telling you so. Have you not learned anything? From Bitcoinica's owners running off with a half million, pirate (who everyone vouched for) $5 million plus theft, theymos trying to sell worthless stock, Nefario's bullshit, Patrick's bullshit, Matthews bet failure. I don't believe anyone on this forum and I'm not going to start anytime soon.

I understand your point, but I think it was completely obvious that pirate was a ponzie scheme. Everyone seemed to know it, they just went with it due to greed. There was no technical reason to believe it was true. It was a straight up "just trust me".

The Avalon ASIC on the other hand does not seem far fetched by any means. The technology seems completely novice compared to the rest of the devices we see now days. It just took a lot of investment to make it even worth trying for this particular application.
king_pin

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 04:46:57 PM

Might have something to do with WTC7 bud...unless you really believe a small office fire can cause a steel framed skyscraper to enter physically impossible freefall and collapse on it's own footprint. If you do believe that, I'd like to sell you a bridge.
I agree here totally btw. Smiley
Seems the only proof you'll accept is for everyone at bitcoin foundation to drive their new 88Gh Avalon to your home, hook it up for you, and hash for you.
And Nope they don't have to bring it, although I'd love that, Smiley just make a nice video showing everything (not some 23 second crap from a YouTube profile that was made the same day), or when someone else, who isn't on AVALON's payroll Smiley posts a nice video, or 10 people post crappy videos Cheesy

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 04:58:51 PM

I believe the little man that lives inside the fridge who turns the light on and off might also be in on the 'scam'.
Everyone PLEASE check your fridges today.

dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 05:09:16 PM

The only people who vouched for pirate were in the "lending" business, ran PPTs, or were invested with pirate.
The Bitcoin Foundation and Jeff Garzik are much more trustworthy than any previous scammer.  When has a core dev scammed anyone, or vouched for a scammer?

I am willing to bet Avalon will deliver.  Want to take me up on it?

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 06:34:58 PM

Let's assume Jeff isn't in on it.

That still doesn't mean it's legit.

He's got a box with spinning fans - that he's pointed at a pool or bitcoind somewhere... whats to stop that machine from relaying this information to an fpga or gpu farm in wherever and them turning on the mining for him.

Sanity requires additional verification from multiple sources.

Until we ~300 users saying "hey I got mine and it's working right now" the jury is still out on Avalon.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 09:13:57 PM

The amount of retardness on this forum is amaizing!

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 09:25:29 PM

911 controlled demolition: I believe.
Fake moon landings: I don't believe.
Face on Mars: I used to believe.
2012 doomsday: I never believed.
JFK having more than I one shooter: I believe.
Sandy Hook: 50/50 believe.
BFL delivers: 98.6% believe.
Avalon is not a scam: 98.6% believe.
theymos has sockpuppet(s) as mod(s): 50/50 believe. (apologies to theymos for this one)
king_pin

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 09:38:02 PM

Fake moon landings: I don't believe, but some pics were modified.
Face on Mars: I don't believe.
2012 doomsday: I believed. Smiley
Sandy Hook: IDK what this is Cheesy
BFL delivers: 90% believe.
Avalon is not a scam: 90% believe.
But I believe that they are lying about what state of production they are in now. They have some crappy prototype, IDK if there are actually more than one, and they post pics of it, first with 3 than with 4 modules and a vid in which you cant actually see what is making those 80+GH/s

+American government knew about Perl Harbor: I believe

fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:29:39 PM

Let's assume Jeff isn't in on it.

That still doesn't mean it's legit.

He's got a box with spinning fans - that he's pointed at a pool or bitcoind somewhere... whats to stop that machine from relaying this information to an fpga or gpu farm in wherever and them turning on the mining for him.

Sanity requires additional verification from multiple sources.

Until we ~300 users saying "hey I got mine and it's working right now" the jury is still out on Avalon.

Agreed.

If BitSynCom has indeed been shipping ~12 units/day since 20 Jan-- some units should start arriving in Customers' hands soon.

It would be very unfortunate if BitSynCom is simply using jgarzik and the bitcoin foundation to garner more trust just in aim to take more Batch #2 orders with no intent to deliver anything at all...

Time will tell.

Nah. He delivered a working device. It is not vaporware. He has delivered 3 diff products now. He is legit.
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:51:19 PM

Fake moon landings: I don't believe. => me, unsure
Face on Mars: I used to believe. => never belived
2012 doomsday: I never believed.
Avalon is not a scam: 98.6% believe.

God, we are the same...

SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:55:01 PM

make an apology and close the thread. on to the next potential scam.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 11:02:05 PM

make an apology and close the thread. on to the next potential scam.
Already did my apology, can't close the thread.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 03:03:40 AM

can't close the thread.
Yes, you can. It's called locking.

flatronw

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:01:42 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2013, 05:31:17 AM by flatronw

Discard the hyperbole and review what little has actually happened to date:  

1:-As it seems to stand at the moment we have only 2 or 3 confirmed Avalons “in the wild”  One of those was shipped “express” to an individual who has a “high profile” within the BTC community,  assuring widest exposure of its release and performance. Consider what would be the cost to produce 2 or 3 “one-off” prototypes.

2:-To date, there appears to be nobody else posting with great glee, that they have their Shipping Number or a shipping confirmation. Avalon is reticent about if they will actually ship the complete first batch before Chinese New Year

3:-There is still, as always, very limited communication from Avalon themselves. They are far from forthcoming. Just feeding tid-bits as necessary to keep the ball rolling. That is apart from the opening of the second release orders. Stressing-”no proof” “no refund” “Bitcoin only”

4:-The second tranche of orders is sold out in 24 hrs - 600 units @US$1500 =  US$900,000.00 All of which is all absolutely non trace-able, non retrievable.
    EDIT: The second tranche is not sold out: Due to issues with Bitwallet. Does anybody seriously expect the second tranche to NOT sell out ASAP?

5:-We are now approaching the Chinese New Year which as Avalon has stressed previously will close them down for two weeks.

The execution of a successful scam relies on creating trust, by taking a small payment and providing  what was initially agreed. Setting the atmosphere of confidence and trust for the “big take”
In addition in this particular scenario, we also have the Chinese New Year just co-incidentally occurring just at the time of the opening and closing of the second batch of orders. Potentially giving two weeks grace for somebody, should they be so disposed to vanish.

I am not saying it is, but I am saying that at this point in time. It is difficult to avoid recognising just how closely this situation fits the criteria of a classic scam.  

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:19:48 AM

4:-The second tranche of orders is sold out in 24 hrs - 600 units @US$1500 =  US$900,000.00 All of which is all absolutely non trace-able, non retrievable.

Only about 38 units were sold from batch #2.  Not 600.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:25:52 AM

1:-As it seems to stand at the moment we have only 2 or 3 confirmed Avalons “in the wild”  One of those was shipped “express” to an individual who has a “high profile” within the BTC community,  assuring widest exposure of its release and performance. Consider what would be the cost to produce 2 or 3 “one-off” prototypes.
[...]
I am not saying it is, but I am saying that at this point in time. It is difficult to avoid recognising just how closely this situation fits the criteria of a classic scam. 

Yes, consider the cost of producing 2-3 one-off ASIC prototypes...  because apparently you have not done so.

It's about the same as producing 300, in terms of the chips produced.  ASICs have huge setup costs, compared to per-chip costs.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
flatronw

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:56:50 AM

1:-As it seems to stand at the moment we have only 2 or 3 confirmed Avalons “in the wild”  One of those was shipped “express” to an individual who has a “high profile” within the BTC community,  assuring widest exposure of its release and performance. Consider what would be the cost to produce 2 or 3 “one-off” prototypes.
[...]

Yes, consider the cost of producing 2-3 one-off ASIC prototypes...  because apparently you have not done so.

It's about the same as producing 300, in terms of the chips produced.  ASICs have huge setup costs, compared to per-chip costs.

No I have not and you miss the point. Whatever the cost. Undeniably it would be covered by the amount received in the initial ordering. Even if it took 75% of those initial funds to produce the just 2 or 3 prototypes. At the end of the second phase it still leaves Avalon sitting on over US$1,000,000.00 in totally untraceable, unrecoverable funds.

A considerable chunk of change! 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: