Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:08:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is BitBay the only decentralized market?  (Read 1815 times)
Apollo13 (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 06:43:28 PM

Please forgive my noob questions. I'm new to this, and don't know where to start.

I stumbled across this site by coincidence: http://bitbay.market/

This has not anything to do with bitcoin, right? This is a similar technology?

Are there other decentralized markets out there?
btc_zero_sum

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 09:40:32 PM

there's syscoin and projects like openbazar as well, but bitbay is the one with smart contracts and pegging on the way (and well known genius dev behind it)
i invested few btc in bitbay for the long run  Cool
Ulloa

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 10:36:12 PM

Please forgive my noob questions. I'm new to this, and don't know where to start.

Bitbay so far are the only one who made it very close, altough they are taking a very long time to do it.
The coin seems to going up on bittrex the last couple of days. So there is something going on there.
Apollo13 (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 11:16:53 PM

Thank you for your answers.

I found some info on syscoin and openbazar. They both seem to be dependent on escrow agents. That's a contradiction to decentralized. Or am I missing something?

So you both think BitBay is a good investment? At what price point is it not a good investment anymore?
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 12:08:12 AM

I can't see much downside at all at this point.

pugilist555

Activity: 474
Merit: 261

GBM

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 01:51:30 AM

I can't see much downside at all at this point.

I agree. This project is one of the most undervalued due to the unfortunate ICO events. Its competitor Syscoin is currently 20x value.

Blockchain technology
Apollo13 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 10:46:35 AM

I bought some. Maybe I buy more next week when I get more bitcoin  Smiley

I found some info on syscoin and openbazar. They both seem to be dependent on escrow agents. That's a contradiction to decentralized. Or am I missing something?

I never got an answer to that question. Why do many call syscoin and openbazar decentralized when they depend on escrow?
3r197

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 12:05:03 PM

I bought some. Maybe I buy more next week when I get more bitcoin  Smiley

I never got an answer to that question. Why do many call syscoin and openbazar decentralized when they depend on escrow?

Good question. I guess no one can answer it because it's not true to begin with. Maybe they have monitors for the escrow agents? Yet that isn't decentralized. And who pays the monitors for the escrow agents? Is there extra mining fees to cover both the escrow agents and the monitors of the escrow agents? Sounds like a nightmare in terms of a scalability factor.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 02:26:58 PM

NXT also has a (decentralized) marketplace but that not very well known, therefore it's illiquid and generally speaking you can't see too many signs of life over there.
Apollo13 (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 03:58:30 PM

After a quick google search I get the impression that there are two NXT markets. Is that correct?
The NXT market for digital content only with feedback as the only buyer protection?
The NXT freemarket for everything else and relying on feedback and escrow agent is that correct?

I guess you could argue that relying on feedback only is fully decentralized. Not sure I would take the risk unless it was for very small amounts of money though.

Please correct me if I got this wrong
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 07:12:23 PM

There is also freemarket what bases on Nxt blockchain but is not the Nxt Marketplace itself.

You can download software here http://nxtfreemarket.com or use the web version https://freemarketlite.cc/index.html

NXT also has a (decentralized) marketplace but that not very well known, therefore it's illiquid and generally speaking you can't see too many signs of life over there.
funsponge

Activity: 776
Merit: 557

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 01:58:35 PM

I read somewhere yesterday the NXT Dev had jumped ship to Lisk? Not sure if that's true.

I own Bitbay too! Such a sleeping giant! David Zimbeck who is doing the Dev at Bitbay and the create of 'Halo' & 'Nighttrader' is like the Bill Gates of crypto! I'm expecting Bitbay to be a contender in 2016!
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 05:25:07 PM

I own Bitbay! I see the potential it has and what David is doing over there is ground breaking stuff. I've bought in early and glad I did! This is explode

Apollo13 (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 07:07:13 PM

I own bitbay too now  Smiley

But I would still like to know if bitbay is the only decentralized market or if there are others out there.
pugman
Legendary

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 08:19:25 PM

I think it's the only one

Duomo

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 09:19:01 PM

Open-Bazaar is another decentralized market. It a peer to peer marketplace where people can sell and buy goods in bitcoin. I think you would be throughly interested and also, I am not sure if it is fully functioning yet. I see decentralized market places as the new "market". People seem to have another added level of comfort knowing that something is decentralized. 
Apollo13 (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 09:42:49 PM

Open-Bazaar is another decentralized market. It a peer to peer marketplace where people can sell and buy goods in bitcoin. I think you would be throughly interested and also, I am not sure if it is fully functioning yet. I see decentralized market places as the new "market". People seem to have another added level of comfort knowing that something is decentralized. 

As I understand it openbazar will use escrow agents. How can anything be decentralized when it uses escrow agents? Thats just another version of ebay etc.
If I'm missing something here, please tell me
Duomo

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 10:21:57 PM

As I understand it openbazar will use escrow agents. How can anything be decentralized when it uses escrow agents? Thats just another version of ebay etc.
If I'm missing something here, please tell me

I think this link regarding disputes on Open-Bazaar would be able to answer your question in full detail without leaving behind any connecting dots much more simpler than I can.  Smiley

https://gist.github.com/drwasho/405d51bd1b1a32e38145
pugman
Legendary

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2016, 10:27:15 PM

Bitbay will use Bithalo Which specifically is decentralized escrow (2 party escrow) making it the only decentralised market that I'm aware

funsponge

Activity: 776
Merit: 557

View Profile
March 16, 2016, 10:29:15 PM

Open bizarre isn't out yet I believe. So many crypto's promising things but haven't yet delivered. At least Bitbay have something out there working!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: