Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:03:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Drama from BitcoinASIC  (Read 21843 times)
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 09:53:50 PM

I'm sure there are secret underground bunkers all over the world where Trendon Shavers, Bruce Wagner, Tom Williams, Zhou Tong, Amir Taaki and Co. sit around scared witless of the mighty internet nerds revenge.

Zhou's so scared that you can find out his residential address and how many shares he owns in his new company from an ASIC search on NameTerrific.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 10:43:23 PM

How do people think they can totally get away with scamming a bunch of people with vast computer knowledge unless they are single and willing to leave the country...quickly.

I mean this community is easy to scam because of greed, but once you have the loot you need to skeedaddle.

Hell hath no fury like a nerd with internet access...
They get doxxed, but then nothing happens afterward.  If people actually started suing these people, then maybe they'd skeedaddle more quickly.  As it is, it seems like a scammer hardly has to worry.
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 10:48:11 PM

Yeah true enough. I guess I assumed people were following through...silly me.
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 11:34:12 PM

Here comes the retribution for stealing ~50-100k BTC STyle ??

"Youre a scammer"

WOAH!!...ohh the humanity....its worse than Hitler....

...ho humm...Easy targets Cheesy

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2013, 11:48:05 PM

"Youre a scammer"

The only known scammer that didn't suffer such humiliation was Tom Williams.
||bit

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 11:51:47 PM

I just got the same email from Ari.

This is the contact info I have for Tom.  Can someone confirm whether it's correct (I think the phone number may no longer be active).

P.O. Box 246
Hannibal, NY 13074

Telephone:

PO box wont help a lot I think Does tom revelatead his real name in past or does ppl send him ten sof thousands in btc without know his real name and having just a po box and a prepaid phone? Sounds like crazy if...

As far as we know, his name is Thomas Van Riper.

He got a Bitcoin vanity licence plate last year, so Ari's lawyers could probably track him that if anyone has a picture of the licence plate (it was on his Google+ account but he's deleted that account now and I can't find a picture in Google cache but he may have posted it here as well - it was in March 2012).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66927.msg778314#msg778314

Dave had access to the merchant account so he should be able to provide all of the details related to that account.

The domain registration info for BTCFPGA uses the PO box address.

http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/btcfpga.com

This was the street address for his computer repair shop.  It's also the address given on several domains Tom registered.

121 Lyon Street, Fulton, NY 13069 - New York,

Tel: (315) 514-0269

He was still using that phone number late last year but the website for the computer repair shop is now blank.

Fulton is significantly larger (so more commercial) than Hannibal (which is more rural). So, he probably worked in Fulton and just lives in/near Hannibal where his PO Box was located.

I'm curious as to how fast authorities will respond if we aggregate our complaints and focus them at the proper authorities. Is there any one thread yet where we can do this - i.e. focus & coordinate a collective response? or Has anyone taken action to contact any authorities for themselves yet?

||bit

I informed the real Ari about this thread and the whole story, I guess he will made some justice action too. Anyway if this guy ( thomas Van Riper seem his real identity, google will give you same head than the picture with license plate) was frauding using my name company I wont let this happend without sentence... Specially he's american also easy to reach...real name, real face, he have a shop physical...Well I'm just sad for ppl who paid with BTC as they will be never refund and it will be hard to proof anything with BTC as ever...

It isn't too hard to prove BTC payment. If you couldn't prove it with the blockchain. There is an email about the purchase, and the website still shows it (screenshot the order while you can). Further, at least in my case, he is in dialogue that the payment was received. Open/Shut case on payment. The only thing now is to actually get refunded.

||bit
||bit

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 11:54:41 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/votevanriper/home/elect-thomas-van-riper-sgo-secretary

I am now in my second semester as a full time liberal arts Psych major at CCC, my dream career is to be in a position to help people - specifically youth, in the field of Substance Abuse Counseling.

Seem Thomas Van Riper is his real name, this is now confirmed. Free for Ari or customers of bAsic scammed to continu the process... Anyway this scam case will be more to easy to fix than some others...Good luck for people scammed in BTC to recover their funds (I never ordered from bAsic)

Yeah, it appears so:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110203011330/http://sites.google.com/site/votevanriper/

||bit
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 11:59:17 PM

"Youre a scammer"

Nah, he got scammer tagged under his other name, Bruce Wagner. Very misleading.
||bit

View Profile
February 06, 2013, 11:59:34 PM

Does anyone know if he still stays at this location ?

I can confirm the zip code, but that's for the whole town Fulton.

From NY DMV and zip code checks out: 13069

Vehicle Plate Number:      BITCOIN
Make of Vehicle:      CHEVR
Model Year of Vehicle:      2005

He got the licence plate in March last year.  He was still using the Fulton Street address for his PC repair business late last year but the website for that business is now gone.  It's still a reasonable starting point for lawyers, though.

New theory: Tom + Ari are the same person!

It would be funnier if Tom and Sonny were the same person.

LOL!
||bit

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 12:07:30 AM

I'm not even sure how I would approach this from a legal standpoint. Who does one contact? Surely not the police. The FBI would get involved if it can be shown that mail fraud has been committed. What's interesting is this... if the FBI determine that the bitcoins are not real money or something liek that and the only thing he has to re-imburse are bitcoins. That will suck fro Tom since the price are probably on average double since he accepted most of them.

So, does anyone know what a legal course of action would be? Who would need to be contacted?

The mayor of Fulton..? LOL

||bit
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 12:15:52 AM

"Youre a scammer"

Nah, he got scammer tagged under his other name, Bruce Wagner. Very misleading.

Actually, no! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=2033
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 12:51:29 AM

Hahaha, really? That's amazing.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 01:17:41 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2013, 02:40:44 AM by repentance

I doubt those people who are sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars of other people's money are too concerned by the "humiliation" of a scammer tag (something Zhou doesn't have, incidentally).

I'm not even sure how I would approach this from a legal standpoint. Who does one contact? Surely not the police. The FBI would get involved if it can be shown that mail fraud has been committed. What's interesting is this... if the FBI determine that the bitcoins are not real money or something liek that and the only thing he has to re-imburse are bitcoins. That will suck fro Tom since the price are probably on average double since he accepted most of them.

A failed business is not the same thing as a fraud.  Whether Tom is operating as an LLC or as a sole trader, he has legal protections open to him if he personally or his business are insolvent.  The vast majority of the time, unsecured creditors can expect to receive little or nothing when the assets of a failed business are liquidated.  People can certainly pursue judgements against him in NY, but obtaining a judgement is not the same as being able to enforce it.

The pretending to be another company is going to fall under various fraud laws and is very likely a criminal offence.  There's a website whose name escapes me at the moment where you file a complaint in respect of computer related crime in the US and it gets forwarded to the appropriate government agency for follow up.  Someone else might recall their URL.

A question which remains unaddressed is the identity of the original investors in the bASIC project and the nature of their involvement - depending on how that investment was structured, they may also have legal liability in relation to the bASIC project.

Is there a way someone more technically competent than me can make a copy of the BitcoinASIC.net website in case the scammers decide to tske it down in a hurry?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
live627

Activity: 574

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 04:19:33 AM

Is there a way someone more technically competent than me can make a copy of the BitcoinASIC.net website in case the scammers decide to tske it down in a hurry?
You can do it yourself using HTTrack.
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 05:13:54 AM

Where are the mods who believe his account was hacked?

Idiots..
||bit

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 06:54:24 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2013, 07:17:22 AM by ||bit

I believe this picture of Cablepair / Thomas Van Riper was taken at this location.

The Fulton address comes up positive for a person named Amy [C.] Vanriper. She is 29 years old. About the same age as Tom. Perhaps, his sister or wife.
Associated with the same address is the name Jeremy Wallace that is about ten years older or so which is possibly old data.

Well, now it's known where the lawyers can start looking.

Tom (unless he is just a patsy for of a more elaborate scheme) can do himself a big favor by updating people on the status of all the returns. Like how many are to process, and his daily progress...etc.. Silence on the issue only builds frustration with the people that already got screwed over.

||bit

BlackLilac Jordan

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 08:08:49 AM

I believe this picture of Cablepair / Thomas Van Riper was taken at this location.

The Fulton address comes up positive for a person named Amy [C.] Vanriper. She is 29 years old. About the same age as Tom. Perhaps, his sister or wife.
Associated with the same address is the name Jeremy Wallace that is about ten years older or so which is possibly old data.

Well, now it's known where the lawyers can start looking.

Tom (unless he is just a patsy for of a more elaborate scheme) can do himself a big favor by updating people on the status of all the returns. Like how many are to process, and his daily progress...etc.. Silence on the issue only builds frustration with the people that already got screwed over.

||bit

I'm all for going after scammers as aggressively as possible, but you might want to do a little more research before you post the name and address of some quite possibly unrelated person.

Anything whatsoever to suggest that the two live(d) there at the same time, or know each other? Or did you find some woman's name related to that address, and you're just running it up the flag poll?
server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
February 07, 2013, 11:02:26 AM

I'm all for going after scammers as aggressively as possible, but you might want to do a little more research before you post the name and address of some quite possibly unrelated person.

Anything whatsoever to suggest that the two live(d) there at the same time, or know each other? Or did you find some woman's name related to that address, and you're just running it up the flag poll?

What are you suggesting ?

This picture of Tom was taken at this location and now we learned that Amy Van Riper [29] also lives there. (what's the source of this last part of information?)

polrpaul

Activity: 238

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 02:52:20 PM
Last edit: February 07, 2013, 03:28:00 PM by polrpaul

What are you suggesting ?

This picture of Tom was taken at this location and now we learned that Amy Van Riper [29] also lives there. (what's the source of this last part of information?)

Those seeking proof can turn to public sources:

Amy A. (Suppes) Van Riper

https://plus.google.com/105139826715061374299/photos
http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Amy+Suppes&global=true&sns9=t40#New York
http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Amy+Vanriper&sns9=t40&global=true#Hannibal,+NY:2162483267
http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Amy+Van+Riper,+Fulton,+NY&sns9=t40#:17977904071
http://www.instantcheckmate.com/search/resultsAPI/NY/Vanriper/Amy
http://obits.syracuse.com/obituaries/syracuse/obituary-print.aspx?n=charmaine-stiles-moonie&pid=159889538

Tom and Amy have 4 children: Joseph Suppes (from Amy's prior relationship/marriage), Thomas M. Van Riper, Benjamin Neal Van Riper and LillyAnna Charmaine Van Riper (youngest, only daughter and in the picture with BITCOIN license plate).

http://www.ariseinc.org/pdfs/Unique2009.pdf
Reflections of the Willows
Amy Van Riper, 28, was sitting on a bench as the sun rose when she took “Reflections of the  willows.” She believes the photograph expresses calmness and serenity. Amy lives in Hannibal with her husband and three children. Amy embraces her disability and says that “it opens up my mind and eyes to see things as a form of art.”

Amy A Vanriper
Home (315) 402-2448
186 Rathburn Rd, Lot 16
Fulton, NY 13069-4169

PO Box 246
Hannibal, NY 13074-0246

121 Lyon St
Fulton, NY 13069-2910

Other Addresses:
Pollard Rd, Lot 5, Hannibal, NY
Emery St, Fulton, NY

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
polrpaul

Activity: 238

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2013, 03:40:43 PM

Tom (unless he is just a patsy for of a more elaborate scheme) can [...]

||bit

No patsy.. he has always been very public about himself (a huge mistake in a con/scam, so take that with a grain of salt).

You can compare videos posted on YouTube, BTCFPGA MMQ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EoDeOCgJKs

Compared to him preaching gospel as Joel310Ministries:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drbPAcBAphU

Pesonal YT channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/offthefed/videos
is no longer online, so..
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TEVTXxUemdcJ:www.youtube.com/user/offthefed/videos+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
You can see Tom, wife Amy and son Ben in the video thumbnails.

Pesonal G+ channel:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100481502635276052436/albums/profile
You can see Tom, wife Amy and daughter Lillyanna in photos, and he's friends with Dave Carlson.

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: