Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:28:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How to teach someone about Bitcoin  (Read 58719 times)
Hellacopter

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 02:46:15 PM

I think there's no point in teaching about Bitcoin yet, it's too early. Give it one to two years more, and we'll see how things are looking like for the average joe. I think Bitcoin will change a lot in the way it is presented to people, specially non techies. Once we have Lightning Network and there's no more blocksize bullshit arguing and people are sending fast and cheap transactions in a seamless way, then I will tell people about it, and hopefully the war on cash is mainstream and people start realizing why they need a way out from the system.

In my opinion, we need as Bitcoin's community to teach people about this powerful crypto currency and advertise , spread the word about it, that's a kind of help and support of this currency. In addition a lot of people still don't know anything about it till now
Imoote

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 02:48:51 PM

Well, as the saying goes, "experience is the best teacher"
It's better if you let them try using bitcoin in any basic transaction and see how good it is

I agree with this. I've read on this forum some time ago about a guy who bought beers to all of his friends with Bitcoin. That was a good example of a proper teaching IMO.
Yes true but it will be better again according to my friends tell me about how to give a beer with bitcoin and tell me how can i get bitcoin, which is of paramount importance to those interested. I'm sure it could succeed.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 03:02:34 PM

I think there's no point in teaching about Bitcoin yet, it's too early. Give it one to two years more, and we'll see how things are looking like for the average joe. I think Bitcoin will change a lot in the way it is presented to people, specially non techies. Once we have Lightning Network and there's no more blocksize bullshit arguing and people are sending fast and cheap transactions in a seamless way, then I will tell people about it, and hopefully the war on cash is mainstream and people start realizing why they need a way out from the system.

In my opinion, we need as Bitcoin's community to teach people about this powerful crypto currency and advertise , spread the word about it, that's a kind of help and support of this currency. In addition a lot of people still don't know anything about it till now

Most people I tried to teach Bitcoin about think it's weird, or don't understand it, it's like talking about internet in 1990. Only when you mention how it will increase it's value in the future they start listening, but if you don't mention the fact that they can make money buying it and holding it they will not be interested most of the time.
benmartin613

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 03:13:49 PM

Well, as the saying goes, "experience is the best teacher"
It's better if you let them try using bitcoin in any basic transaction and see how good it is

I agree with this. I've read on this forum some time ago about a guy who bought beers to all of his friends with Bitcoin. That was a good example of a proper teaching IMO.
Yes true but it will be better again according to my friends tell me about how to give a beer with bitcoin and tell me how can i get bitcoin, which is of paramount importance to those interested. I'm sure it could succeed.

Yeah experimenting with bitcoin on buying and selling it on trading will give a person some experience do understand what bitcoin is and how it works.
sana54210
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1128

"CoinPoker.com"

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 04:15:09 PM

most important is honest interest about technology, not about earning quick bucks..sadly, when somebody asking me about BTC, it is always about earnings..
That is the basic human nature. I believe when people aiming for some profit, they themselves get into the technology automatically but in time. We need to get some concentration from them towards bitcoin but it can be either towards technology or towards making some profits.

MedaR
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1026

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 04:21:43 PM

Just give him link of this forum, nothing more. Here we have everything that is needed for quality learning.
And members here are in most cases ,in mood for assistance..

You can rent this space
stromma44

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 04:28:33 PM

Well teaching someone who is not aware about the technology will be really difficult, but if he is updating his knowledge with latest trends then it will not take more time to teach.
Jmild1

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 04:32:22 PM

Well teaching someone who is not aware about the technology will be really difficult, but if he is updating his knowledge with latest trends then it will not take more time to teach.

Yeah, that's right. You need to know first if the person know how to even use a computer before telling them the bitcoin currency
DimensionZ

Activity: 350

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
April 11, 2016, 05:41:53 PM

The best way of teaching friends how to use Bitcoin is to sit down with them and show them the ropes.
There will always be questions that can't be answered if they were to learn everything by themselves so lending a hand could be better.

skinnyboy

Activity: 223

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2016, 09:46:55 AM

Perhaps one of the best ideas is simply not to waste to much time teaching them about it, just tell them it's digital cash, then put some in their hands...

Which, coincidentally, is what me and a couple of partners are aiming to do soon, we're just preparing to launch our new bitcoin based music store, with the aim of getting it into the hands of new people.

Perhaps when they have it, then they'll have a reason to learn.  Who knows, we'll see.

I'll be counting on you lot to do the decent thing and spend a little coin though, okay ;-)

BeGoods
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 10:12:44 AM

most important is honest interest about technology, not about earning quick bucks..sadly, when somebody asking me about BTC, it is always about earnings..
That is the basic human nature. I believe when people aiming for some profit, they themselves get into the technology automatically but in time. We need to get some concentration from them towards bitcoin but it can be either towards technology or towards making some profits.
it is the nature of human beings dude Cheesy people will automatically think about the advantages of him. so it was not a problem. for now maybe we can take advantage of this to get a lot of new adopters.
bitcoin really profitable. it would have demanded a lot of people to join in bitcoin
skinnyboy

Activity: 223

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2016, 10:38:33 AM

it is the nature of human beings dude Cheesy people will automatically think about the advantages of him. so it was not a problem. for now maybe we can take advantage of this to get a lot of new adopters.
bitcoin really profitable. it would have demanded a lot of people to join in bitcoin

The downside if they get involved for that reason is that they then go and waste money on every pointless scam, ponzi and ill thought out new "concept", then, when their losses get high enough, they walk away claiming it's all a scam.

I make a point of telling people not to get involved if they think they're going to get rich off of it now.

zPanda

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 10:50:51 AM

Sign them up with an online wallet, teach them about the differences between the wallets and storages, security and backups, a bit about economics and how BTC is used, sold, bought and distributed.
Stack23

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 10:59:13 AM

Tell him to search on google.
relq

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 11:20:10 AM

Do you think it will effective doing that ? Ask people to search on google about bitcoin is really bad idea imo, people who still new about bitcoin want a fast way to know about bitcoin.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 11:24:12 AM

That's not really a help!
Sure you can give them the known websites and speakers like AA as good sources.But even then it happens people don't understand what Bitcoin really is.
I try to show it to them. Set up a wallet on their phone and send them a few bits.And then show them how to send to you back.Experiencing something is always better than just getting tought theoretically.
Mr. Big
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1179

While my guitar gently weeps!!!

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 12:05:13 PM

Sign them up with an online wallet, teach them about the differences between the wallets and storages, security and backups, a bit about economics and how BTC is used, sold, bought and distributed.

I'm pretty sure that the knowledge that you will share with that way of teaching is already enough for them to stand and search on their own after...But I think it won't be easy to teach anyone when you are about to tell them detail by detail...
FabioDelcatto

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 02:11:56 PM

Just tell them how to use it, and that it works safe and easy, if they know how easy it works than they will also tell more people that they have to use it and that is nice.
But we must I think promote it more, there must be more people that must know Bitcoin.
goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 02:46:18 PM

Just tell them how to use it, and that it works safe and easy, if they know how easy it works than they will also tell more people that they have to use it and that is nice.
But we must I think promote it more, there must be more people that must know Bitcoin.

Trully promoting it or advertising it would be the best thing to make a lot of money. Since people will join and buy some for investment then the proce would also rise at rhe same time.
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2016, 02:52:30 PM

I have always found the best way to learn anything is to be thrown in at the deep end, the way I found out was by googling bitcoin and then ended up here and then took it from there, did some research, bought some bitcoin and so on.

I think just a nudge in the right direction would work best, I have tried to explain to a few people and they just give up and say that they haven't got the time to be learning anything.

You could direct them to this forum and show them how to setup a wallet online such as Coinbase as it has an easy to use app, then send them a bit of bitcoin and some faucet links then it is up to them to take it forward, I just end up hounding people too much as I think I get too excited trying to bring someone new to bitcoin Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: