Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:32:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Letter to the CCC  (Read 12244 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 07:43:45 PM

Time to write a letter to the CCC(Chaos Computer Club). We will also need German translators once the donations and the letter has been finalized. This is the letter adapted from the EFF letter. Feel free to critique and make improvement.

Dear Chaos Computer Club,

The Bitcoin community appreciates your efforts to protect electronic liberty and help the internet remain free of censorship and unnecessary intervention.

Bitcoin < http://bitcoin.org > is a new open-source P2P cryptocurrency system, published under the MIT license.

There are several enterprises and individuals in the Bitcoin community and growing. We have donated about 600 BTC to date to the EFF, now we wish to donate X amount to you.

We are certain that you will receive many more in individual donations if you will set up your own bitcoin address and tell people that they can donate to you via bitcoins.

Warmest regards,

The Bitcoin community.

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 07:45:14 PM

Use this URL precisely:

http://www.bitcoin.org/

Using SSL brings up a browser warning, and it's slower anyway.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 07:46:41 PM

Use this URL precisely:

http://www.bitcoin.org/

Updated.

SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 10:12:02 PM

Dude, it's the CCC. They know these things and will appreciate to see a HTTPS link.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 11:48:46 PM

Here a draft German translation (while I am still wondering why we translate, because the CCC is fully capable to read and write English!!!)

---------------------
Sehr geehrter Chaos Computer Club,

Die Bitcoin Gemeinde begruesst Ihre Bemuehungen zum Schutz elektronischer Freiheit. Dies hilft, das Internet von Zensur und unnoetiger Intervention freizuhalten.

Bitcoin < http://bitcoin.org > ist ein neues, quelloffenes P2P Krypto-Waehrungssystem, publiziert unter der MIT Lizenz.

Es gibt mittlerwiele schon zahlreiche Unternehmen und Einzelpersonen, und dieser Trend waechst stark. Wir haben zur Foerderung von bitcoins kuerzlich ca. 600 bitcoins (BTC) an den EFF gespendet.

Jetzt haben wir vor, auch Ihnen X bitoins zu spenden.

Wir sind uns sicher, dass Sie viele weitere individuelle Spenden erhalten werden, wenn Sie einfach Ihre eigene bitcoin-Adresse erstellen und mitteilen, dass Spenden ueber bitcoins an Sie gehen koennen.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Die Bitcoin Gemeinde.
------------------------

One question: Shouldn't we encourage them also to provide us with comments / feedback if they have some (and if so, where do we direct them to?)

Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2010, 07:42:48 PM

It's more like:
Zahlreiche Unternehmen und Einzelpersonen sind bereits aktiv bei uns, und vorraussichtlich haelt das Wachstum weiterhin an.

The rest sounds pretty solid Cheesy

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
S3052
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 07:45:23 PM

Thanks a lot. This sounds much better!

Below is the full, corrected letter.

---------------------
Sehr geehrter Chaos Computer Club,

Die Bitcoin Gemeinde begruesst Ihre Bemuehungen zum Schutz elektronischer Freiheit. Dies hilft, das Internet von Zensur und unnoetiger Intervention freizuhalten.

Bitcoin < http://bitcoin.org > ist ein neues, quelloffenes P2P Krypto-Waehrungssystem, publiziert unter der MIT Lizenz.

Zahlreiche Unternehmen und Einzelpersonen sind bereits aktiv bei uns, und vorraussichtlich haelt das Wachstum weiterhin an. Wir haben zur Foerderung von bitcoins kuerzlich ca. 600 bitcoins (BTC) an den EFF gespendet.

Wir sind uns sicher, dass Sie viele weitere individuelle Spenden erhalten werden, wenn Sie einfach Ihre eigene bitcoin-Adresse erstellen und mitteilen, dass Spenden ueber bitcoins an Sie gehen koennen.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Die Bitcoin Gemeinde.

tcatm

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 07:53:19 PM

I'd vote for writing the letter in English or at least not a simple translation.
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 08:12:01 PM

i second that,
not that theres anything wrong with this translation, but i wouldnt talk like that in german to the CCC guys.

tcatm

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 08:16:24 PM

Just a small fragment, might be used on the wiki or website, too.

Bitcoin < http://bitcoin.org > ist ein junges, quelloffenes Peer-to-Peer Krypto-Währungssystem. Es ist unter der MIT Lizenz verfügbar. Das Netz ist ohne zentrale Institution in der Lage, sicher zu stellen, dass ein Benutzer nur die Bitcoins versenden kann die er auch tatsächlich besitzt. Transaktionen können Weltweit ohne Verzögerung stattfinden. Nach ungefähr einer Stunde sind Transaktionen bestätigt.

Erfunden wurde das System von Satoshi Nakamoto FIXME:fill_in_date und mitlerweile wird es von zahlreichen Unternehmen und Einzelpersonen aktiv verwendet. Man kann Bitcoins sogar gegen den US-Dollar, Euro oder den Rubel eintauschen -- oder sie erwerben.
S3052
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 08:18:54 PM

thanks for letting me translating in the middle of the night  Wink

but all right, I proposed to write them in English myself

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 08:35:25 PM

I am attempting to raise money for the CCC in conjunction of making the Bitcoin Mutual Aid Association grow so that we can actually fund projects.

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1432.0

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 11:35:58 PM

I remember Wikileaks' headache earlier this year when their Paypal donation account was commandeered and when someone leaked the donors' identities.

Perhaps we should emphasize that Bitcoin would encourage more donations by protecting the privacy of the donors and so on, using Wikileaks as an example.

"Ein dezentrales, anonymes System zur Uebertragung von Spenden schuetzt die Privatsphaere der Spender und garantiert, dass das Geld unabhaengig von den Interessen eines Bezahlsystem-Betreibers ankommt."

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 12, 2010, 07:35:58 AM

I remember Wikileaks' headache earlier this year when their Paypal donation account was commandeered and when someone leaked the donors' identities.

Perhaps we should emphasize that Bitcoin would encourage more donations by protecting the privacy of the donors and so on, using Wikileaks as an example.

Perhaps we should try to contact wikileaks directly...
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2010, 03:10:19 PM

Perhaps we should try to contact wikileaks directly...

One charity at a time.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 04:15:11 AM

So, is anybody going to critque my writing or join the BMAA?  Sad

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 06:40:01 PM

Looks fine to me, I say take point and ship it.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 08:59:01 PM

Looks fine to me, I say take point and ship it.

We still need donations to the CCC.

LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
October 17, 2010, 09:23:27 PM

bitcoins Roll Eyes

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2010, 11:19:26 PM

So is the letter perfect or something?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: