Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:16:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I was charged extra for using my credit card  (Read 2522 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 06:39:21 PM

I went Kayaking the other day and rented a kayak.

The charge was $35. But they said "if you're going to use a credit card we charge extra". I used my credit card and they charged $37.50.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:42:12 PM

The charge was $35. But they said "if you're going to use a credit card we charge extra". I used my credit card and they charged $37.50.

Was $37.50 the extra or was the extra the $2.50?

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:46:42 PM

awesome, as they should. Why should consumers be forced to eat that cost in the form of higher prices. When everyone pays the same price no matter if they are paying with a card or with cash, this is effectively transfers wealth from credit card users and cash users to the credit card company in the form of higher prices for all (with the card user being partially or wholly compensated by how ever much utility he/she derives from using a card instead of cash). This form of discriminated on the part of store owners will help to foster an incentive structure that rewards efficiency and punishes waste, which makes everyone better off (except for the guy who owns the credit card company).

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:55:31 PM

Yes, a group of retail businesses just won an anti-trust lawsuit against the CC companies, on the basis that the common practice that vendors must hide the 'interchange' costs from costumers amounted to market collusion.  The court finally agreed.  You'll see more of that going forward.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:01:59 PM

This is normal. Businesses pay the credit card companies a fee when a card is used. Instead of absorbing the costs, it's usually passed on to the customer. Gas stations sometimes do the same thing.
A 7% increase does seem a little steep though...

Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 07:06:27 PM

This is good and healthy (in many ways). In my dayjob credit card purchases affect profits signifigantly, for example amex can take 4% off the top. Which is a lot when your working with goods where pricing is very competitive, for example groceries.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:06:27 PM

This is normal. Businesses pay the credit card companies a fee when a card is used. Instead of absorbing the costs, it's usually passed on to the customer. Gas stations sometimes do the same thing.

Theu used to do the same thing in the US in the 1980's and before.  That ended with the vendor contracts I mentioned.  We're likely to see it again soon, though.  This is on reason that CC's are more popular with US citizens than in other countries, as much of the cost of useing a CC has been hidden from the consumer in the form of unnaturally higher prices.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:10:54 PM

7% isn't bad. Think about it, 1% on that purchase for the flat rate, plus 3% for the transaction fee. Then think about how much he has to pay in taxes when the cash just goes in his pocket. It costs him much more than 7% to have a paper trail.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:15:24 PM

7% isn't bad. Think about it, 1% on that purchase for the flat rate, plus 3% for the transaction fee. Then think about how much he has to pay in taxes when the cash just goes in his pocket. It costs him much more than 7% to have a paper trail.

I agree, 7% is on the high end of normal, but isn't out of reason.  4% is about average just for the interchange fees, not counting any other fees.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:47:24 PM

No 7% isn't on the high end 7% is just a way to the merchant to pad his pocket.

The court decision limits surcharges to actual costs or a max of 4%.  Any swiped merchant is going to pay <2% these days.  Hell Joe Blow with 0 days business experience can get an account with Square (or a host of other providers) and swipe cards at <3%. 
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:52:04 PM

Square charges 2.75% if the card is present. 7% is robbery and he just stole from you.

Most processors charge less than 1.99% and you can always find one that's cheaper. I've heard its as low as 1.5%.. I'm not 100% on the facts, but I also learned that when you sign up the person who signs you up makes the extra %'s.. So they're making 1.5% of your transactions, so they can always lower it and only make .5%..

Robbery.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:57:04 PM

Square charges 2.75% if the card is present. 7% is robbery and he just stole from you.

Most processors charge less than 1.99% and you can always find one that's cheaper. I've heard its as low as 1.5%.. I'm not 100% on the facts, but I also learned that when you sign up the person who signs you up makes the extra %'s.. So they're making 1.5% of your transactions, so they can always lower it and only make .5%..

Robbery.

Nonsense, that is not all of the charges.  Square doesn't charge for the 'interchange' fees, because they don't have too, the contracts that the CC companies had with the vendors and each other negates most of that.

And nothing in this conversation includes the interest and fees that the cardholder eats due to his own contract.

farlack
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 08:02:29 PM

Robbery.

Nonsense, that is not all of the charges.  Square doesn't charge for the 'interchange' fees, because they don't have too, the contracts that the CC companies had with the vendors and each other negates most of that.

And nothing in this conversation includes the interest and fees that the cardholder eats due to his own contract.

That should all be added in with your cost to rent, not given to the customer as an extra tab.

Advertising something as $100 then charging $107 because of your fees is crazy. I doubt anyone is charging 7% in any fees to swipe a card.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 08:11:26 PM

Just checked my charge again. $37.30 to be exact.

But 7% would make sense in that our sales tax is 7%.

So by taking cash they have no paper trail. With a credit card they eat the CC fee and charge you sales tax.

I have noticed a few more gas stations charging based upon credit card or cash.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
farlack
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 08:22:05 PM

Sales tax  Grin

Thinking they charged you just for using your card.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 08:42:04 PM

if i ran a business i would advertize in card price and tell everyone i give a "cash discount" =)

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:12:45 PM

Robbery.

That should all be added in with your cost to rent, not given to the customer as an extra tab.

Advertising something as $100 then charging $107 because of your fees is crazy. I doubt anyone is charging 7% in any fees to swipe a card.

Is advertising something as $107 and then offering a $7 discount to cash customers any different?  Because that's basiclyhow it's been done for the past 30 years.  Yes, 7% is on the high end, but not unrealistic for a small vendor that does not frequently need to use the CC network.  7% would be very high for a volume user, such as a brick & morter retail chain of any size; in such a case the 2.x% charged by Square (due to the volume that Square can accumulate) is much more realistic.  WAl-mart can negotiate for better terms from Visa, but a small kayacking store probably can't.  I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that any business with a building of their own can't use Square due to the TOS, or Visa would have a fit.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:21:58 PM

if i ran a business i would advertize in card price and tell everyone i give a "cash discount" =)

You would would be contractually prohibited from actually advertising the cash discount, but everyone does it.  You could go into any major electronics store right now, pick out some high dollar widescreen tv, and even if it's on sale, you could ask for the 2.x% that the company pays the CC company as an additional discount if you paid in cash, and you can expect to get it.  I've done this a dozen times over the past decade alone.  It's just not worth the effort for low value items, although I have done it at Wal-mart for a microwave that was listed for only $80 on sale at the time.  The only time that I can't expect to get it, is when the manager is busy and would consider the discount to not be worth *his* time.

You also can't expect to do this with anything in groceries.  Their margins are so tight, that the 'grocery side' of department stores don't make *anything* from there unless the customer is paying cash anyway.

BTW, this is a great way to get a new refrigerator if you've got the cash, but you would literally have to have the cash in your hands.  The managers are usually empowered to offer this cash discount, but are trained to deny the request unless they can see the cash; because so many people have been known to only have half the cash and then offer the rest as a personal check.  The big chains have been stung many times, and regard this as a kind of 'bait and switch' game.

farlack
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 12:20:07 AM

Robbery.

Is advertising something as $107 and then offering a $7 discount to cash customers any different?  Because that's basiclyhow it's been done for the past 30 years.  Yes, 7% is on the high end, but not unrealistic for a small vendor that does not frequently need to use the CC network.  7% would be very high for a volume user, such as a brick & morter retail chain of any size; in such a case the 2.x% charged by Square (due to the volume that Square can accumulate) is much more realistic.  WAl-mart can negotiate for better terms from Visa, but a small kayacking store probably can't.  I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that any business with a building of their own can't use Square due to the TOS, or Visa would have a fit.

Giving a discount and charging extra is two different things, be ignorant more please.

You obviously have never used a creditcard processor.

First off 7% is unheard of unless you're selling high risk products. Please stop being ignorant and saying 7% is a normal price because you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. It does not matter if you're doing $100 in sales a day or $1000 they're not going to charge you any different rates, unless your doing massive amounts of money.

As for square, again you owe me doughnuts, or money, I like both.

https://squareup.com/register

I use square every single day.
Why them at 2.75% vs someone else at 1.99%?

1. Square I don't need to rent a swiper that costs $50-100 a month on a 4 year contract.
2. I don't need to pay $50-100 a month gateway fees.
3. I don't have all the other crazy fees.
4. Square deposits next day vs 3-4-5 days for other processors.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 12:35:59 AM

You would would be contractually prohibited from actually advertising the cash discount, but everyo

Not any more.  That was what the court case was about.  The courts agreed that the prohibition on cash discounts and the prohibition on charging consumer for using credit cards amounted to collusion between the major credit card networks.

Today merchants are free to offer any discount % for cash buyers.  Merchant can offer 50% off to cash buyers if they want.
Today merchants can charge consumers a surcharge on credit cards but not more than the actual interchange rate or 4% which ever is less.

The 7% in the OP was simply a merchant ripping a consumer off.  The court decision is relatively new most people don't know the details I expect a like of stuff like this going on for a while. 

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: