Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:22:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SegWit is a waste of disk space?  (Read 2303 times)
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 04:02:11 AM

I've posted this here also since there's 2 issues.
1) For pools having to accept an increase is disk space usage
2) In general regarding bitcoin why I posted it at the link:

So ... I'm wondering why we should put up with an increase in the amount of disk space required for segwit for the same number of transactions?

Why do we NEED segwit?

Simply increasing the block size will have the same effect without making individual transactions bigger.
segwit makes individual transactions bigger.

Now the only argument I've seen given for this is that if you ignore the segwit data you can run a smaller blockchain.

However, if instead you run a pruned blockchain it will be smaller, so I see the segwit excuse as FUD.

More so, saying you don't need the segwit data is the equivalent of saying SPV mining is OK.

As for malleability, so anyone wanna say why that can't be done properly on it's own without segwit?

Anyone got some answers that doesn't skip over and ignore these issues?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 03:40:29 AM

Could you please post here all your pros and cons regarding Segwit? Many of people think that Segwit is the only way of Bitcoin evolution, and that it's an urgently needed step...

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 06:43:26 AM

Kano, you're a waste of disk space

The nested P2WPKH & P2WSH address types are, of course, inherently bigger

But the native forms won't be. You know this, and yet choose to lie by omission

People shouldn't trust someone as dishonest as you with anything, especially not their pool earnings

Vires in numeris
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 06:58:24 AM

What is a viable option besides Segwit?
One thing for sure is that we can't keep going with the current system forever.

kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 07:39:41 AM

What is a viable option besides Segwit?
Well the problem with core is that they ignored BIP100 that offered bigger blocks, and had 70% pool approval before it even went to a proper vote.

The problem with BIP100 was that core didn't want it - it doesn't fit in with their personal "possible" financial gains running LN and centralising bitcoin more than they try to centralise it already.

If bitcoin wasn't centralised, then there would be multiple options in core at the moment to vote for blocksize changes.

Bitcoin already inherently handles 32MB blocks, it's mainly just a number defined in the code that limits it to 1MB.

SegWit in it's current form is simply core trying to fix the fuckups they made with P2SH, but it allows for other things ...
... and they can tout it as a block size solution, which is only a side effect of ignoring the extra data.

Meanwhile, I wrote the OP almost a year ago Smiley
There's still the rather amusing size issue that even core devs don't seem to understand.
A second storage of data requires a second storage of key information of that data.
Simple to understand for anyone with an inkling of an understanding of databases.

... and core segwit means that using standard 1x addresses will cost 4 times using P2SH addresses ... i.e. push everyone onto the problematic core P2SH addresses ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 09:50:05 AM

Why not?

Supply and demand works.

Maybe, if some pools weren't mining empty blocks and people weren't spamming the network with transactions to artificially consume block space, there would be such an "urgent" need to increase block size at all.  Granted it seems pools are mining fewer empty blocks, but they do still happen.  That is NOT a problem with bitcoin.  And people wasting their money with spam transactions consuming block space and bloating the number of unconfirmed transactions is NOT a problem with Bitcoin either.  That is people trying to manipulate others.

Bitcoin is a set of principles as much as it is a technology and an idea.  The less it is tampered with the better.  Bitcoin should be allowed to succeed or fail on it's own merits.

Those who want Bitcoin to be something different than what it is should start their own AltCoin with their own set of principles and technologies.  That may very well one day supplant Bitcoin or compliment it.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 10:12:29 AM

Well my opinion is based on my own experiences while paying for things with BTC. Slow confirmations and high cost tx fees. How the hell that is a nice thing?

I agree though with you about the empty blocks and spam, 100%.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:26:25 AM

Well my opinion is based on my own experiences while paying for things with BTC. Slow confirmations and high cost tx fees. How the hell that is a nice thing?

I agree though with you about the empty blocks and spam, 100%.

Supply and demand at work.  When supply decreases demand increases, and vice versa, then the cost increases.  I don't mine at the moment, but I really like seeing 1 to 2.5+ Bitcoin in transaction fees in each block.  That is very healthy for Bitcoin.  The only thing I have purchased lately are games on Steam, but I always use the higher transaction fee option and have always been very successful in getting my transaction accepted quickly.  Of course I am using Bitcoins I mined in 2011/12.

Transaction fees are the lifeblood of Bitcoin.  I think they are a "nice thing"  because without them Bitcoin has no real value.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 03:00:21 PM

I'm a miner myself and I know that tx fees are important, but the current level of tx fees cost and tx confirmation speed fights the idea about bitcoin making fast low cost money transactions possible. Wasn't this one of the original ideas?

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2520

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 04:12:22 PM

I'm a miner myself and I know that tx fees are important, but the current level of tx fees cost and tx confirmation speed fights the idea about bitcoin making fast low cost money transactions possible. Wasn't this one of the original ideas?
To start, yes. But one cannot forget that Satoshi himself had stated that eventually 0 miner block rewards and only getting the Tx fees is Bitcoin's end-game. That is what the halving's will lead to. Tx fee's MUST increase for the remaining (mega) miners to survive at that point

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 05:21:19 PM

But when total number of transactions keeps rising, even lower level transaction fees make a good total amount in the end.

VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 05:23:28 PM

Indeed Haggs!  And as I understand it it is trivial to increase the blocksize up to a max of 32MB since that's already coded in originally by Satoshi!  Don't need all that extra nonsense with all the ulterior motives attached...  Tongue

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2017, 10:10:57 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2017, 10:21:23 PM by -ck

Indeed Haggs!  And as I understand it it is trivial to increase the blocksize up to a max of 32MB since that's already coded in originally by Satoshi!  Don't need all that extra nonsense with all the ulterior motives attached...  Tongue
32MB was the limit of the message size between nodes. There was in fact no limit at all to block size, but the message size wouldn't cope with anything larger than 32MB. Satoshi was the one who imposed a 1MB limit later on to minimise DoS risk. I suggest you do some reading in the more general bitcoin/ and development and technical/ discussion sections of the forum to understand why a massive increase all alone like that would be a potentially unmitigated disaster for the network at this time for multiple reasons. Even an increase to 2MB alone is massively different to 1MB; it doesn't just carry with it 'double the work, storage and bandwidth'. Some things do not scale linearly at all to size unfortunately due to the original protocol design of bitcoin transaction verification. The original design was not perfect (nothing ever is) and only with the benefit of hindsight can we see the flawed components in the design and the code which was a monolithic code dump from Satoshi. However it's here to stay and we need to work with it. Assuming we need to scale, everything must be factored into the scaling approach.

By the way, talk of BIP100 is back too, which was by far the most popular pool scaling choice at one stage, though currently they're trying to tie it in with BU:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1822824.0

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
VRobb

Activity: 1610
Merit: 538

I'm in BTC XTC

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 10:21:43 PM

I stand corrected.  Thanks for the real explanation, -ck!

I don't believe in superstition because it's bad luck: 13thF1oor6CAwyzyxXPNnRvu3nhhYeqZdc
These aren't the Droids you're looking for: S5 & S7 (Sold), R4B2, R4B4 (RIP), 2x S9 obsolete, 2xS15-28, S17-56, S17-70
Pushing a whopping 1/5 PH!  Oh The SPEED!!!
Laviathon

Activity: 481
Merit: 264

BCMonster.com BTC ZEN HUSH KMD ARRR VRSC ACH RFOX

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2017, 01:45:34 AM

I am going to choose to go with segwit right now.   This whole SEGWIT/BU battle is bad for the values of the network.   Some of the features I agree are overkill however it does bring more information and stability to the network as a whole.     It does bring the larger block size which is the biggest argument that most of your BU supporters are campaigning for.  Am i Wrong?

BCMonster.com BTC, KMD, ZEN, HUSH, RFox, ARRR, ACH, VRSC <cpu> -   /  Easy Live Dashboards   / Looking for Miners! Join our Discord
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3853

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 03:03:32 AM

Segwt at least deals with technical aspects.
BU-a political power grab. They even have an office of "President" proposed. Ridiculous.
lolailo

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2017, 10:38:39 AM

Take a look at BitcoinEC, Core code plus block size option, without the rest of the BU changes and bugs.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2017, 02:42:25 PM

Segwt at least deals with technical aspects.
BU-a political power grab. They even have an office of "President" proposed. Ridiculous.
Forks are promoting forks, so, they are promoting diversity.
If you don't like BU, there is also Classic, XT and the next BitcoinEC.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
blacksmithtm

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 09:07:37 AM

Kano, you're a waste of disk space

The nested P2WPKH & P2WSH address types are, of course, inherently bigger

But the native forms won't be. You know this, and yet choose to lie by omission

People shouldn't trust someone as dishonest as you with anything, especially not their pool earnings

Meh, kano is sliding into obscurity. He will troll the community until he does. Meh.
blacksmithtm

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2017, 09:12:05 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2017, 09:27:10 AM by blacksmithtm

This was an early marketing gimmick spread by people who didnt care about bitcoin but only $$$ to get people to invest. However, if you want low cost money transactions bitcoin is still the best bet. But the transaction systems have to be built on top. Unfortunately miners are against this, but in that they are only reducing the value of the tokens they mine.

Take a look at BitcoinEC, Core code plus block size option, without the rest of the BU changes and bugs.

What if EC has a bug? I mean the Concept behind BitcoinEC is dumb. They strip out the things Bitcoin Unlimited has worked on. Xthin, Parallel validation and so on, because you cant trust the devs who made it. Its crap. But the same devs made EC. So why isnt that being scrapped too?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: