Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:48:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with mining rigs  (Read 2202 times)
navydude (OP)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 05:45:31 PM

Awesome will check it out. I want the max profit right now so if a duel miner is the way to go then i will set it up. Off to read about the duel miner.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 07:17:31 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2016, 05:59:53 AM by QuintLeo

Claymore's dual miner seems, by most reports, to be a bit less efficient at Ethereum mining - though the Dcred (sp?) mining income might make up for that.

You really don't have a lot of options though - most folks seem to be using the Genoil miner, qtminer, or the Claymore dual miner - there's only one other option I know about but it seems to have been not worked on for a while and seems to be getting ignored for being slower than anything else.

Doesn't seem to be much hashrate difference between any of them, and some of the highest reported hashrates are outdated due to the growth in the DAG file making EVERYTHING slower over time.

Definitely go with 3+ Gig ram on the cards, if possibly - I've got some 2 Gig NVidea cards that are still working, but my 7870 2Gig is NOT able to mine at all at this point for some reason.
 (Edit - it's working now, figured out I needed more SYSTEM ram for some reason in that machine - but running at 12.something even overclocked a lot, I suspect the figures posted in that database in the 14-16 Mh range are from much earlier days when the DAG was smaller and everything was faster. On the other hand, I already HAD the card so whatever I make with it less electric cost is PURE PROFIT).

I'm currently trying to play around with driver options, but as a long-time Slackware user I am finding Ubuntu and especially bleeding GRUB to be a major pain - but the only miner packages available to me are Ubuntu-specific, as I CAN NOT ACCESS GITHUB NO MATTER WHAT I HAVE TRIED to get access to the bloody source code or anything other than qtminer or Windows64-specific compiled versions of the other stuff.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
navydude (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 02:08:57 PM

Claymore's dual miner seems, by most reports, to be a bit less efficient at Ethereum mining - though the Dcred (sp?) mining income might make up for that.

You really don't have a lot of options though - most folks seem to be using the Genoil miner, qtminer, or the Claymore dual miner - there's only one other option I know about but it seems to have been not worked on for a while and seems to be getting ignored for being slower than anything else.

Doesn't seem to be much hashrate difference between any of them, and some of the highest reported hashrates are outdated due to the growth in the DAG file making EVERYTHING slower over time.

Definitely go with 3+ Gig ram on the cards, if possibly - I've got some 2 Gig NVidea cards that are still working, but my 7870 2Gig is NOT able to mine at all at this point for some reason.
I'm currently trying to play around with driver options, but as a long-time Slackware user I am finding Ubuntu and especially bleeding GRUB to be a major pain - but the only miner packages available to me are Ubuntu-specific, as I CAN NOT ACCESS GITHUB NO MATTER WHAT I HAVE TRIED to get access to the bloody source code or anything other than qtminer or Windows64-specific compiled versions of the other stuff.

I really appreciate this. I am going to try a few and decide which one works best for these cards. I will be running windows 10 more than likely so hopefully i can get these tuned up and mining at top speed in a short amount of time. Should have most of the parts today. The CPU and memory are being deliverd tomorrow. Sad I spent right at 2k for this setup and ready to get some money coming back in. I would love to sit on the ether for a bit and see what is going to happen but would really like some of my investment back. IDK Would love to watch this go big like BTC did.

WarrEagle

Activity: 663
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 02:25:08 PM

Make sure you don't push the cards too hard in your quest for hash rate. Reported and effective hash rates are two very different beasts. Plus your cards will last longer under less stress.

DELETED
WarrEagle

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 02:26:38 PM

I really appreciate this. I am going to try a few and decide which one works best for these cards. I will be running windows 10 more than likely so hopefully i can get these tuned up and mining at top speed in a short amount of time. Should have most of the parts today. The CPU and memory are being deliverd tomorrow. Sad I spent right at 2k for this setup and ready to get some money coming back in. I would love to sit on the ether for a bit and see what is going to happen but would really like some of my investment back. IDK Would love to watch this go big like BTC did.

http://90d5dd.ethosdistro.com/ my rigs, I'll be adding 11 more cards over the next week.

DELETED
navydude (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 02:30:27 PM

Make sure you don't push the cards too hard in your quest for hash rate. Reported and effective hash rates are two very different beasts. Plus your cards will last longer under less stress.

Yep. Thanks for the concern and the reminder. I remember seeing a bios update to lower voltage somewhere. I want to make the most as efficient and as safely as possible. Time to start looking for that post. In your opinion will we ever need a card with more than 4gb? Would the cost to purchase a 6 card Nano setup be worth the expense? I have enough for another build. Just not sure how What i want to do yet. I really wanted an x11 asic but they are sold out currently.

Your cards hashing away nicely. How many do you have all together?

WarrEagle

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 03:28:28 PM

Yep. Thanks for the concern and the reminder. I remember seeing a bios update to lower voltage somewhere. I want to make the most as efficient and as safely as possible. Time to start looking for that post. In your opinion will we ever need a card with more than 4gb? Would the cost to purchase a 6 card Nano setup be worth the expense? I have enough for another build. Just not sure how What i want to do yet. I really wanted an x11 asic but they are sold out currently.

Your cards hashing away nicely. How many do you have all together?

25 running now with 5 more to add in over the next week 18 Gigagbyte 4GB R9-380's, 5 MSI 2GB R9-380's, and two XFX 8GB R9-390's. The R9 390 XFX cards I got from Best buy when Amazon was blowing them out for $309.91. I got them to price match on two cards that they had on the shelf. Then, I purchased 4 - R9 290's refurbed from GPUshack last night @ $259 a card. They will get added to a rig later in the week. I am also sending the 2GB cards back to Amazon, ordered 6 more Gigabyte R9-380's to replace them. They just take forever to start mining after a shutdown.

4GB is going to be enough for ETH and I hear that DAG chunking is going to be able to get around the memory limits at some point.. However ETH will switch to POS before that is an issue. We'll see.

Oh, and if you hover your mouse over the GPU count, rig name, on that ethosdistro, you can see what rig is running what cards. You can also click on the fans and temps to see your metrics collected over time graphed out. I clock the MSI cards lower than the Gigabyte Windforce, they get a better effective hashrate that way. Makes no sense, but that is what works best for my setup.

DELETED
navydude (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 03:40:47 PM

Thats awesome. I see the rigs and GPUs listed. Im a damn noob. I think im gonna order 6 more myself maybe 12 if the wife dont find out. How were you able to send the 2gb cards back to amazon? Just tell them they are bad and replace under warranty with a new 4gb card!!

WarrEagle

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 03:51:51 PM

Not quite...they are still within the 30 days since I purchased them. I have Prime and buy a ton of gear from them.

DELETED
WarrEagle

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 03:57:06 PM

A couple of pics of the setup.

http://prntscr.com/azt3wk
http://prntscr.com/azt43l

DELETED
navydude (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 04:16:48 PM

Thats looks pretty sweet. I will try to get some of mine when they are up and running. Does it put out alot of heat?

Stein

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 07:31:27 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2016, 07:44:10 PM by Stein

That looks awesome! I want to build my first rig and had a few questions for you.

1) why didn't you go with all 390 s? (I see you have 1 rig with 390's) Is it because 380's are more bang for the buck ?
2) Can one psu run a 6 card 390 rig ? Like this ?
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-120-G2-1600-X1/dp/B00MMLUIE8?ie=UTF8&keywords=evga%201600&qid=1462303778&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
3) Where did you buy the racks that the rig is built in ?

Looks awesome Smiley
WarrEagle

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 09:06:36 PM

That looks awesome! I want to build my first rig and had a few questions for you.

1) why didn't you go with all 390 s? (I see you have 1 rig with 390's) Is it because 380's are more bang for the buck ?
2) Can one psu run a 6 card 390 rig ? Like this ?
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-120-G2-1600-X1/dp/B00MMLUIE8?ie=UTF8&keywords=evga%201600&qid=1462303778&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
3) Where did you buy the racks that the rig is built in ?

Looks awesome Smiley

You nailed it bang for the buck. 20 MH/s for $200 or 30 MH/s for $350....the math just made sense and they draw less wattage. You can run a 1600 watt supply on 6 390's but that will push that PSU hard. I run 6 380's on a 1200 watt platinum or a 1300 watt gold, depends on what amazon feels like selling me. For 6 390's, I would instead use two PSU's, one 1000 watt gold 80+ AND a 850 watt gold 80+. Run the Motherboard and powered risers and three GPU cards on the 1000 watt PSU then just use the 850 watt PSU for the 12v supply to three cards. DO NOT cross power the risers or motherboard from the second PSU though. The 12V rails are isolated on the GPU's so that is all you want to run on them.

Those rigs I made and I sell them on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-GPU-Ethereum-mining-rig-frame-6-GPU-USB-1x-X-16x-PCIe-risers-ATX-style-/252368784979?

DELETED
WarrEagle

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 09:06:52 PM

Thats looks pretty sweet. I will try to get some of mine when they are up and running. Does it put out alot of heat?
Yes, lots of heat.

DELETED
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 07:34:46 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2016, 06:05:37 AM by QuintLeo

Just need a good case to handle the airflow needed to deal with the heat.

After some digging, I DID find a few "designed to mount 4 dual-slot card" cases, ALL of which seem to be at least somewhat serious about the capability to move massive amounts of air through them.

I even went to through the process of putting together a planned buy for a new 4-card rig - but then ran across a couple articles about Pascal and Polaris, and decided to put off buying ANYTHING for a couple months as the first of the next-gen GPU cards are being talked about as available sometime this summer (NVidia has specifically stated "before back to school season" which specifies August timeframe at the LATEST for their first Pascal releases).

(Edit - late May for the GTX1080 and June 10 for the GTX-1070 - I'm now VERY HAPPY I decided to wait!)

Since both NVidia AND AMD are finally going to the 14/16nm process node this generation, we should see some killer improvement in efficiency from both, and likely some significant increases in performance as well.

As far as my existing cards go - the FIRST thing I did with EVGA PrecisionX was to DROP the target temp, make it PRIORITY, and kick the fan profiles up to something sensible (100% by 75C, among other things - their STOCK profile was a pathetic joke that seems to be intended to deliberately overheat the cards if they're used 24/7 for anything seriously demanding).
 There's a REASON I'm to the point "ball bearing fans or I won't even LOOK at your stuff".

On the good news side - figured out my HD 7870 is actually fine, it just had issues 'cause the power supply I was trying to run it on was flaky. It's pumping 1050Mhz quite comfortably the last week running on one of my Seasonic X1250s. Currently building up another Xubuntu64 with AMD drivers right now in the hopes of getting it running Ethereum - if that won't work, worst case I'll start folding with it for now (the Nvidia version I have on one of the other machines wouldn't clone properly, think it was a conflict with the Nvidia drivers not letting the AMD card work right).

(Edit - hashing Ethereum at a little over 12Mh with 1200/1250 clock the last 2 days, comfortably cool despite yesterday getting WARM. VERY VERY picky about the memory clock - higher gets WORSE fast, lower gets WORSE fairly fast - not picky about cpu clock other than higher = faster).

Sadly, the 7850 I have appears to have been damaged after all when that power supply got flaky, or *IT* flaked out badly and damaged the PS when it did. Still runs, but anything over about 550Mhz and it's crash city. Only a 1 Gig card though, so it's happy running dnetc probably for the rest of it's life.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
navydude (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 03:26:39 PM

Well after getting everything all set up im one power cable short for my last GPU. I ordered the Lepa 1600 and it come with 5 cables plus one that is 8+4. That kinda sucks but guess i will get another orderd unless maybe im looking at this wrong.  Huh

navydude (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 09:18:27 PM

Im having a difficult time getting these cards to start. After hooking up five of them, one of the cards fans spins really slow and another one starts turning and then goes off every couple of seconds. None of the other cards will start or do anything. Pulling my hair out currently. PLease help!!

bigs21024

Activity: 294

please help gofund.me/bigs21024 Family in need

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 10:09:21 PM

shit bro how much you making a month

navydude (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 01:45:33 AM

Finally up and running. Going to run over night to see how things go. I am one power cable short so only running 5 GPUs for now. If any one can post a link to where i can find a Lepa 12 pin to 2x6  pin GPU power cable. I have looked and cant seem to find one. There maybe a different solution to this so any thing to get this up and running. Thanks

WarrEagle

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 03:49:40 PM

Finally up and running. Going to run over night to see how things go. I am one power cable short so only running 5 GPUs for now. If any one can post a link to where i can find a Lepa 12 pin to 2x6  pin GPU power cable. I have looked and cant seem to find one. There maybe a different solution to this so any thing to get this up and running. Thanks
You dont need a specific LEPA cable. I think they all work the same from one manufacturer to the next. You can also get a splitter too. I used some of them for cards that need 2 power connectors.

http://www.amazon.com/Phobya-6-Pin-PCI-E-Splitter-Sleeving/dp/B007OULOZY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1462463177&sr=8-4&keywords=VGA+PSU+cable

Or you can use a couple of these to pull power from SATA ports on the PSU,

http://www.amazon.com/Akasa-SATA-power-adapter-cable/dp/B0097I74N2/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1462463331&sr=8-48&keywords=VGA+PSU+cable

DELETED
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: