Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:49:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin blockchain data torrent  (Read 211075 times)
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 07:30:32 PM

Hi, is anyone got a FRESH & CLEAN bootstrap.dat file around ? it will be much appreciated by many users ,( me included ) , since it became almost impossible to syncronise bitcoin core in a decent downloading time...even with a really good conection.
Actualy it is a serious problem for this software.. Undecided
 Bitcoin core developpers should have to seriously work on this..

+1 from the last time that i have rebuilded the blockchain (october 2014).
bitcoin core is heavy duty corrupted by orphan block (for the new arrival members) ... and very high restriction from the client to upload blocks to others.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 03:52:09 PM

Hi, is anyone got a FRESH & CLEAN bootstrap.dat file around ?

Read the OP and download the torrent.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
defcon23
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 07:49:36 PM

i did it.. problem solved. i was able to rebuild the blocks in 1 ( long ) day  Wink
thanx for your answer.
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 11:52:15 AM

My seed ratio is up to 681 now.

If anyone wants to setup seeders the cheapest way I found was on a AMD Athlon 64 5600+ X2 at https://robot.your-server.de/order/market . EUR 25 a month for a dedicated machine with serious bandwidth. Setting up transmission-cli under screen isn't difficult.
PabloW

Activity: 228
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 03:52:48 AM

Thanks! downloading. Where is exactly the folder where I should place this file?

Also, Armory says i'm in 254069 block, where can I see whats the total number of blocks at this moment?
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2014, 11:30:09 AM

Thanks! downloading. Where is exactly the folder where I should place this file?

Copy the bootstrap.dat file and paste it in, %APPDATA%\Bitcoin (Windows), ~/.bitcoin/ (Linux) or ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/ (Mac) .

Also, Armory says i'm in 254069 block, where can I see whats the total number of blocks at this moment?

You can see it on http://www.bitcoinwatch.com/ ( have other details) or https://blockchain.info/charts (recommended) or  http://blockexplorer.com/q/getblockcount (shows the block count only). Smiley

~~MZ~~

xhrike

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 01:44:23 PM

I came as far as block 317000. That's more that 13 weeks old tells bitcoin-qt..
Then I got stuck. I have 12 active connections to the network.
Is there a regularly, like every 24 hours, maintained version of bootstrap.dat out there?

So.. I am pretty sure I can take this upon me. Automate it and let it rip.
The only problem I see is the huge bandwidth capacity needed.

Answers or suggestions?

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2014, 02:07:46 PM

Is there a regularly, like every 24 hours, maintained version of bootstrap.dat out there?

Answers or suggestions?

Please take the time to read OP. Smiley

=snip=

How often will this torrent be updated?

Assuming this project is deemed useful and worth continuing... the torrent will be updated once every few months, when the checkpoints are updated in the reference client source code.

Why not update the torrent more often?

A torrent works best when it is a large, static dataset that changes infrequently.  That maximizes the ability to seed the data, enabling even part-timer seeders to contribute meaningfully.  Less frequent changes also minimizes the risk that a malicious torrent will appear, with a long, malicious side chain.  The current policy only updates the torrent after blocks are buried many thousands deep in the chain.

~~MZ~~

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1480

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2014, 04:29:06 PM

-snip-

Answers or suggestions?

Launch with -connect=IP to a fast node for the rest.

For windows hit Win+R to open the "run" window:
enter: c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -connect=IP
change the IP to one from the list, the path as needed and click ok.

For linux, open a terminal and enter

bitcoind -connect=IP

change the IP and on some distros you have to give the full path to bitcoind.
Note, this will not launch a GUI, use bitcoind getinfo so see the status.

or run bitcoin-qt instead of bitcoind for GUI.

Once synced, close bitcoin core and launch as usual.

List of possible nodes:

Code:
last updated 2014.11.25
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP                  - location             - owner[1]  -  speed      - info/stats page[2] - testnet
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eldinhadzic.org[4]  - LA, USA              - eldinhadz - 1000 mbit/s - no                 - no
84.200.34.113       - Freinsheim, DE, EU   - Newar     - 1000 mbit/s - yes                - no
185.45.192.129      - Amsterdam, NL, EU    - anon      - 1000 mbit/s - /node.php[3]       - yes
213.165.91.169      - Germany, EU          - shorena   -  100 mbit/s - yes                - no
50.7.68.180         - New York, USA        - Newar     -  100 mbit/s - yes                - no
5.9.24.81           - Germany, EU          - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
178.79.173.71       - United Kingdom, EU   - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
107.155.104.194     - Dalls, USA           - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
106.185.32.195      - Japan, Asia          - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
94.242.57.173       - Russia, Asia         - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
[1] refers to a bitcointalk.org username or anon if requested
[2] same IP, port 80 or path/port given
[3] work in progress
[4] IP is 173.236.158.177

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
xhrike

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 04:59:15 PM

-snip-

Answers or suggestions?

For windows hit Win+R to open the "run" window:
enter: c:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe -connect=IP
change the IP to one from the list, the path as needed and click ok.

For linux, open a terminal and enter

bitcoind -connect=IP

change the IP and on some distros you have to give the full path to bitcoind.
Note, this will not launch a GUI, use bitcoind getinfo so see the status.

or run bitcoin-qt instead of bitcoind for GUI.

Once synced, close bitcoin core and launch as usual.

List of possible nodes:

Code:
last updated 2014.11.25
IP                  - location             - owner[1]  -  speed      - info/stats page[2] - testnet
eldinhadzic.org[4]  - LA, USA              - eldinhadz - 1000 mbit/s - no                 - no
84.200.34.113       - Freinsheim, DE, EU   - Newar     - 1000 mbit/s - yes                - no
185.45.192.129      - Amsterdam, NL, EU    - anon      - 1000 mbit/s - /node.php[3]       - yes
213.165.91.169      - Germany, EU          - shorena   -  100 mbit/s - yes                - no
50.7.68.180         - New York, USA        - Newar     -  100 mbit/s - yes                - no
5.9.24.81           - Germany, EU          - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
178.79.173.71       - United Kingdom, EU   - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
107.155.104.194     - Dalls, USA           - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
106.185.32.195      - Japan, Asia          - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
94.242.57.173       - Russia, Asia         - zvs       -  unknown    - no                 - no
[1] refers to a bitcointalk.org username or anon if requested
[2] same IP, port 80 or path/port given
[3] work in progress
[4] IP is 173.236.158.177

Ah.. I didn't know that. Thanks!

I used bitcoind and then tail'd the log file.. But this -connect=IP is very helpful.

Much reading to do still Smiley
xhrike

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 12:57:53 AM

-snip-

Answers or suggestions?

-cut-

Well, that was a nice experience.. The database corrupted every single try and I couldn't find what did it..
So I compiled bitcoind from source and imported bootstrap.dat
Then finally I went on to connect again to the IP's mentioned before, only to discover that.. I was blocked Cheesy

Thanks guys..
xhrike

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 01:04:45 AM

Answers or suggestions?

Please take the time to read OP. Smiley

=snip=

-cut-

Why not update the torrent more often?

A torrent works best when it is a large, static dataset that changes infrequently.  That maximizes the ability to seed the data, enabling even part-timer seeders to contribute meaningfully.  Less frequent changes also minimizes the risk that a malicious torrent will appear, with a long, malicious side chain.  The current policy only updates the torrent after blocks are buried many thousands deep in the chain.

~~MZ~~

Yes, now I read the whole OP this makes sense.
xhrike

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 12:57:11 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2014, 01:30:48 PM by xhrike

-snip-

Answers or suggestions?

-cut-

Well, that was a nice experience.. The database corrupted every single try and I couldn't find what did it..
So I compiled bitcoind from source and imported bootstrap.dat
Then finally I went on to connect again to the IP's mentioned before, only to discover that.. I was blocked Cheesy

Thanks guys..

The sole reason I appeared here was that I forgot.. one time only.. to backup the block chain database before re-installing a new OS on my computer. I got the grandfather instead of the father in the backup protocol.

So.. Torrent'ing a bootstrap database, waiting for clues from the local super-heroes.. Because hey.. I just want to pay my insurance on Monday..

Then.. The realization that many 'contributors' just say "f*ck you, man.." in a newbie's face when he seems to be down and struggling..

I've seen this behavior before, and at the time I was disgusted by the apparent change. No one seemed to bother to read Virginia Shea anymore and just went on to become rampant egomaniacs.

Yeah, I know.. This is frustration with the proceedings of a once promising protocol. But right now it seems you are in the tub with that frog.

A question that reeds to be answered by each and every local bitcoin super-hero: Do you want a worldwide payment protocol, or just goof around for personal glory for some time. Of course there is some momentum still; you've got your new arrivals, and hey.. conferences where you can pat each other on shoulders how ultra-famous that guy is. That actually is my clue that you fail to see the significance of what you are holding in your hands right this minute.
Later there will be the names, the guys with beards somewhere out there, telling how they had it in their own hands but lost it; fumbled, dropped the ball, and lost the game. So I smile, knowing that some of you will see, and many others will remain as blind as they are..

Now I really have that insurance to pay. And you're not helping, Eternal September people..

xhrike

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 02:33:05 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2014, 02:52:17 PM by xhrike

Packing up..

I've compiled bitcoind and bitcoin-qt from source on Ubuntu 14.04. I mostly do that, but I was lazy this time so I got the canned version. I should've known better. Then I downloaded bootstrap.dat via Torrent and cleaned my system as to avoid any circumstance that could make things go FUBAR, and ran bitcoind. Nice, it worked: bitcoind was loading blocks from bootstrap.dat, and it seemed to work like a charm. No more corruption of the database like with the canned bitcoind. Good. When bitcoind finished loading from bootstrap.dat on block 31700, I stopped bitcoind. Then I ran bitcoin-qt . To read..: "No block source available. 1 year and 32 weeks behind." "19 active connections to the Bitcoin network," and "Catching up... Processed 232045 blocks of transaction history. ... " I know that my node seemed to be misbehaving because I had to reload the same blocks after every time the canned bitcoind seemed to corrupt the blockchain database. I have never ever experienced this with a self-compiled version of either bitcoind, or bitcoin-qt. Last night I pulled my blocks from famous 173.236.158.177, the blockchain database crashed a few times, and so I'm given no quarters anymore.

Can you see a newbie struggling with this? He or she doesn't want to be a programmer or systems expert, he or she just want to adopt this cool new fad.. Yeah, it shot up to $1,000 - hello.. geek millionaires - from nothing, and then crashed to like $275 - hello.. people who lost an arm and a leg - something, but hey people seem to think it's viable. Well, this single experience tells me that it is not. This is not a serious global payment system, decentralized or not. This is hobby stuff. And while fiat value - hey.. they CPU mined bitcoin - for some is still good, this is going nowhere really fast. I don't mean that bitcoin will disappear, because let's face it there is a lot of real money put in.. But like this? Like this one experience I am having now, after all these years? Just going it from the seat of my pants one time? Dudes, you are delusional..

Ok.. I will say it. This actually IRL screwed me over. Ok? There, now you can gloat. Another one bites the dust never to come back again. Happy now? Good.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 02:40:18 PM

Can you see a newbie struggling with this?
He just posted a few times in this thread... ;-)

You don't need to run a full node or even the reference implementation if you want to use Bitcoin, alternatively you can just wait for 0.10 to come out where bootstrapping should work much faster.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
xhrike

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 02:51:25 PM

You don't need to run a full node or even the reference implementation if you want to use Bitcoin, alternatively you can just wait for 0.10 to come out where bootstrapping should work much faster.

Yeah.. Well it had to.
xhrike

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 03:07:27 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2014, 03:22:10 PM by xhrike

1200 some posts makes you local super-hero hm? This my man is a sucker punch, a kick in the head to someone who is down. A glaring gloat.. I know what I can do, and I also know what can't be done in my situation now. Yeah, I have not been following devs for years, and yeah, I just took the new source, read the change log, and went on with business. While you were real busy creating your local super-hero status. You know nothing about who I am or how early I adopted Bitcoin. You know nothing about my systems knowledge. Nor about my knowledge of Bitcoin platforms and portability. You don't know if I had a time-window closing. The only thing you know is that I use bitcoind on Ubuntu 14.04 now. And I needed (!) to do it this way. You have not been of any help super-hero. You just did some lip-gymnastics here.

But it's done now. I just made the mistake of trust. Once.

Bye.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 03:14:54 PM

Activity != posts. I would love to hide these stats next to my posts by the way.

I judged you based on what and how you posted here. Also your forum title as of writing this actually IS "Newbie". Enjoy your amazing ubuntu machine, Linux skills and fantastical amount of BTC that you mined far earlier than me.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
xhrike

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 03:32:43 PM

Activity != posts. I would love to hide these stats next to my posts by the way.

I judged you based on what and how you posted here. Also your forum title as of writing this actually IS "Newbie". Enjoy your amazing ubuntu machine, Linux skills and fantastical amount of BTC that you mined far earlier than me.

Hm.. This is the real newbie answer. Biased because of entrance time, and board status..
I mine Bitcoins yes, for years now. Yes, I CPU mined them also. No, I did not buy a pizza back then.
But whatever amount, there was very little converted to fiat. So I ain't no fat cat like some, right?
And yeah, some of my systems run Linux, some don't.
How I stepped in? Well, I didn't expect a closed community like some of the newsgroups, and I certainly did not expect a post score based status thing. Some seem to need that. Like with reference codes in their .sig.. I didn't see that either.

So I simply asked stuff I didn't know, right?
xhrike

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 03:42:01 PM

Hm.. This is the real newbie answer. Biased because of entrance time, and board status..
I mine Bitcoins yes, for years now. Yes, I CPU mined them also. No, I did not buy a pizza back then.
But whatever amount, there was very little converted to fiat. So I ain't no fat cat like some, right?
And yeah, some of my systems run Linux, some don't.
How I stepped in? Well, I didn't expect a closed community like some of the newsgroups, and I certainly did not expect a post score based status thing. Some seem to need that. Like with reference codes in their .sig.. I didn't see that either.

So I simply asked stuff I didn't know, right?

I don't even know whether there is a propagation system for bad nodes. Should be if not Smiley

Even though it leaves me dead now. Ah, f*ck this.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: