Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:37:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: !Strong leadership and organization needed to keep BITCOINS successful  (Read 5146 times)
S3052 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 06:20:27 PM

All,

coming back from "normal work" and reflecting a bit in the car about BTC, I'd like to share my thinking with you:

Most successful businesses are build around strong people who work effectively in an organization. You have to have: 1) A compelling idea and business model, 2) Strong , intelligent leaders and 3) an organization and processes to enable them to achieve the maximum. (I personally have some experience since I am running a 350 $MM+ revenue business, and profitably)

When applying this to BTC's we have 1) and 2) already. 1) We have a strong BTC idea and a unique P2P model. 2) I see a lot of intelligent people here, both businesswise and technically.

What is missing is the effective organizational structure.

We can have a decentralized "currency", but we can not be effective when we don't work more centralized and structured.

Let me you you some examples:
* Letter to the CCC. A lot of comments in the thread, but it started 2 weeks ago and we still have not done anything.
* Global Exchanges are halted because of a handful of idiots (fraudulent scammers) and the system is still down ... since 2 weeks already
* I could go on forever.  But this should not create negative spirit. There are so many great people and ideas here, but without some kind of simple but effective structure we won't get far.

And we should avoid this.

Proposal:
1) People volunteer to take an active leadership role
2) This should be spread about the key functions needed (business, technical, ..)
3) We set up a voting system to elect the leadership council
4) The leadership council actively drives good ideas forward, deselects less promising ones, etc.

What think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 06:23:53 PM

I think it's a good idea but how can we gauge a level of commitment?  It's easy to say "yes, I'll do it" but it there were an incentive for the leaders besides honor and respect, it would encourage more activity, imho.  right now people do this because it's 'fun'.  if it starts to feel like work then people want more, like getting paid with bitcoins.  if there was a way to compensate these chosen leaders...then...
S3052 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 06:27:20 PM

I agree with you. Some sort of incentive is needed, and only if people deliver, they continue getting it... that's human nature.

I also think this can still be fun, though. because if we will be successful and achieve certain milestones on the way, we will get quite some happiness. Most people, including me would do this still mostly for fun. But as least some reward is needed to keep the motivation up.

And definitely, BTCs is a good way to pay.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 06:33:16 PM

What think?

Just like a German to suggest imposing order upon a naturally occuring market.

You are free to attempt to do anything you like, which is the point of a free market, but you can never represent the community.  I will not support, and would generally oppose, any attempts of this kind from anyone.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
S3052 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 06:41:25 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2010, 07:46:06 PM by S3052

That's what I like about this free community. Everyone can have his opinion.

And by the way, I am offering help; but I won't be able anyhow to play a leading role since I won't be able to spend much time due to my job.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 07:47:39 PM

Proposal:
1) People volunteer to take an active leadership role
2) This should be spread about the key functions needed (business, technical, ..)
3) We set up a voting system to elect the leadership council
4) The leadership council actively drives good ideas forward, deselects less promising ones, etc.

Bitcoin is nothing more than an electronic commodity.  It's not any political organisation, or at least it should not be.  What you suggest is about as weird as would be the creation of a gold-dedicated political movement.

Now, I know there *are* indeed such organisations, such as GATA (Gold AntiTrust Action Committee).  But this organisation exists only because of the manipulation of gold price from central banks.

So, I guess a bitcoin organisation would be required only when central banks will start trying to corner the market.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2010, 08:21:09 PM

I am willing to honor and respect people who do cool stuff.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 08:47:30 PM

S3052, I think your idea is exactly what is needed, within certain boundaries.

There are a lot of good ideas generated on the forum about how to drive bitcoin forward, but nothing gets done because...
1) the suggester doesn't have the technical skills to execute
2) the idea requires several people to work in a co-ordinated fashion, and there isn't a way to easily co-ordinate
3) people would 'help' with execution of an idea/project, but don't want to 'lead'.  Without leadership, it won't get started.

I don't see how S3052's idea needs to infringe on the free-wheeling atmosphere of the bitcoin community.  It is simply a separate mechanism to execute on some ideas to (hopefully) move bitcoin forward.  Nobody has to participate, and this structure would not have any 'control' over bitcoin development.

People who choose to participate could commit themselves to a specific function:
-technical
-marketing
-public relations/promotion
-idea vetting
etc.

Initial steps could include:
-defining a mission. For example: "Team BTC exists to promote the use of Bitcoins in the world economy"
-gathering a list of people who are committed to this mission and want to contribute labour, money, ideas
-gather a list of the skillsets from the volunteers
-strike a nominating committee to find candidates for the leadership council
-hold elections
-determine functional heads
-select a web platform to manage the community and it's projects
-start accepting suggestions/ideas from the wider membership
-vet the ideas and prioritize (these could even be voted on)
-get to work!

S3052 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 08:54:43 PM

You have nailed it brilliantly (and expressed it better than I did  Smiley).

If the BTC team needs some business / marketing, strategic help I will be available.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 08:54:52 PM

The current bitcoin community is quite small, and the bitcoin-related websites tend to be bare bones, produced by geeks for geeks.  The average consumer would have a difficult time obtaining bitcoins, and a difficult time finding useful items on which to spend bitcoins.  At the moment, bitcoins themselves would be considered high risk to novice and experience investors alike.

And...   I think things are fine like that, for the moment.

bitcoin currency will benefit from a slow maturity.  That gives the technologists time to work through minor flaws in the system (witness the recent security updates).  Gives hackers time to attack the system, to try and make it fail.  Gives cryptanalysts time to study the system.

The average consumer, and consumer-friendly websites and bitcoin acquisition methods will come over time... without any need for "strong leadership" of bitcoin.  Let the free market do it's thing.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 08:56:14 PM

If the BTC team needs some business / marketing, strategic help I will be available.

I created the Bitcoin Mutual Aid Association for the purpose of promoting bitcoins as well to build social solidarity. We only have 3 members.

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 10:51:48 PM

I created the Bitcoin Mutual Aid Association for the purpose of promoting bitcoins as well to build social solidarity. We only have 3 members.

And I'm a member.
Perhaps a link will bring more people over: http://fivegrinder.com/group/Bitcoin%20Mutual%20Aid%20Association#main
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 15, 2010, 10:58:49 PM

You have nailed it brilliantly (and expressed it better than I did  Smiley).

And I'm a member.
Perhaps a link will bring more people over: http://fivegrinder.com/group/Bitcoin%20Mutual%20Aid%20Association#main

And we got a member already!  Smiley

S3052 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2010, 06:59:53 AM

I joined as well!

Good that this is starting to get more traction now!!!

Anonymous

October 17, 2010, 02:34:27 AM

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1355.0

I started BitcoinMedia a few weeks ago. The idea was to promote bitcoin through social media and new media such as podcasts and online  videos and collect all the diverse promotion efforts into one organised structure. I am even offering small btc rewards for producing content that can be posted out on the blog and distributed to the different accounts and followers.

On the leadership aspect I would nominate chaord  Smiley.
He can explain better how Visa runs with so many disparate members yet is extremely successful and has been adopted by the majority of merchants.

chaord

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 17, 2010, 05:57:59 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2010, 06:10:39 AM by chaord

I couldn't agree more with the premise of this thread.  Incidentally, a recent passion of mine has been the study of healthy organizational eco-systems.  I have thought a lot about what type of organizational structure would best serve bitcoin as a whole and also it's individual participants.  I truly feel that Dee Hock, the founder of Visa, Inc. has the key.

Some quick facts:
  • Visa is the largest for-profit organization in the world.
  • Visa is a non-stock, member owned company.  It is owned and governed equally by it's over 20,000 member banks.
  • Member/owner banks have maximum autonomy
  • Visa is governed by all, yet dominated by none.
  • Visa obviously must comply with all national governments, yet is not bound to a specific one.
  • Visa is one of the most recognizable and trusted brands in the world.
  • Visa had to overcome insurmountable odds and adversaries, just like bitcoin will!
  • Many would argue that the key to Visa's success is not it's product/service, it is it's dynamic, adaptable, and principles grounded structure in pursuit of a common purpose.

Dee Hock wrote an unbelievable book chronicling his fascination (and obvious success) in creating a Purpose-driven, Principles-bound organization.  It's called One from Many: Visa and the Rise of Chaordic Organization  (hence my choice of nickname on this forum Wink).  It is by far the best leadership and organizational structure book I have ever read (including graduate school in business).  I highly recommend that anyone serious about forming a game-changing organization around bitcoin-concepts read his book.  What's I find particularly fascinating is that Dee Hock embodies in his organizational principles nearly the exact same things that most bitcoiners hold dear, yet he does it without ever getting into a discussion of political philosophy.

As someone who would love to take the "plunge" into promulgating bitcoin professionally, I am certainly interested in setting up an official organization like this.  I think what we need right now is very simple: a core group of people willing to commit to and serve each other professionally.  Forming an actual organization, complete with organizational documentation (purpose & principles) and the ability to contract with individuals and other businesses, is the best way to move forward.

If you are interested in doing this at a more formal level, please email me at chaord.btc@gmail.com Please include some details about yourself, and an indication of resources you currently have at your disposal (time, expertise, assets, money/bitcoins, etc) that you are willing contribute towards a shared purpose.  I will aggregate responses and set up an initial conference call where we can define our principles, declare our purpose, and design a structure that will be advantageous for all participants.

Sound good? Ok! Let's do it!
S3052 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2010, 06:41:50 AM

I love it and I am in.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 17, 2010, 07:04:11 AM

I keep failing to understand what your purpose is exactly.

Anonymous

October 17, 2010, 09:50:06 AM

He is trying to make bitcoin the success that visa is. That is a worthy goal in my mind.

With the right support , the right people and emulating the methods of  successful similar organisational structures bitcoin would take off. What this thread is aiming for is finding those key individuals. A lot of people have the passion for bitcoin but it takes more than that to get it to the next level.
S3052 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2010, 09:54:45 AM

He is trying to make bitcoin the success that visa is. That is a worthy goal in my mind.

With the right support , the right people and emulating the methods of  successful similar organisational structures bitcoin would take off. What this thread is aiming for is finding those key individuals. A lot of people have the passion for bitcoin but it takes more than that to get it to the next level.

+1 !!!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: