Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:19:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Closed Contest] Design a Bitcoin-based Bank Note (BitAurum Bit Note)  (Read 7499 times)
lightlord
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3226
Merit: 1226

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2013, 01:48:17 AM

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:06:59 PM

OP, can you PM me your hi-res logo, please?

Need to submit an entry but need the logo.
acorn

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

I make pretty things.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 07:23:55 PM

I would also like the logo please Smiley
layer1gfx
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1109

Graphic Design & Translation - BTC accepted here!

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 08:33:52 PM

lol.

(jokingly)

let's burn all paper currencies!
to h3ll with notes - long live the bitcoin!

(/jokingly)

to each its own, but as a professional graphic and web designer i would prefer to do serious work for serious btc, no bounty business, 50% deposit in advance or no project.

@BitAurum: if you need anything done please pm.

with amused regards and wishing good luck to everyone!

layer1gfx

layer1gfx.com
acorn

I make pretty things.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 09:42:38 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2013, 05:44:41 AM by acorn

http://i48.tinypic.com/2uynkuu.jpg

Close-up of "AURUM" waved microscript along bottom of the note.

Will PM higher resolution, un-watermarked version upon request.
Note: there's a 3D model there.. it's unfinished. I'm making a 3d representation of the SHA-2 compression function. Also, the logo looks like crap because I still need a hi-res version from OP.

Edit: I have updated the image so that the private key is now on the right side, to prevent accidental scanning (they QR codes were too close together before).
yucca

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 02:00:45 PM

my effort so far (i'm liking acorns better Cheesy):

johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:25:50 AM

my effort so far (i'm liking acorns better Cheesy):

Both of you guys came up with really good designs. You don't feel taken advantage of if your design isn't picked and you aren't paid after you obviously put so much time into the project? No offense to the OP, by the way. I think the way to go about something like this though is to hire someone who has some sort of profile. Give them half up front and the rest if you decide to use their design. If not, let them keep the half payment-they put a lot of work in. I just feel bad when I see bounties offered and people essentially working for free.
BitAurum (OP)

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:53:01 AM

No offense to the OP, by the way. I think the way to go about something like this though is to hire someone who has some sort of profile. Give them half up front and the rest if you decide to use their design. If not, let them keep the half payment-they put a lot of work in. I just feel bad when I see bounties offered and people essentially working for free.

I just enjoy being an asshole, so I came up with this new and ground-breaking idea on how to make people suffer. I shall name it "call for bids" or even "open tender", and nobody has ever done it before, especially for graphic designs. Disregard my first post (on how you don't have to enter a finished design to win, but just a conceptual piece that shows how you are up for it), disregard my attempt at licensing this under CC so non-winning contestants still earn the necessary attribution for derivative works. Disregard the fact that it's everyones free choice to participate, when you boil it down, it still is slavery, amirite?
Sorry for the sarcasm, but I believe it's a bad habit to feel victimized or offended in someone else's place. These are all smart people, let them decide if it's worth the effort. It's neither a publicity stunt nor a tease with a predefined winner. I want the best design that fits my requirements and this method will show me what's out there.

This brings me to the main reason I was stopping by: You can't just take an already existing design (mainly those published in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92969.680), put my logo on it and call it original artwork. If it's clearly a derivative work to something that was not published under a compatible license before, I can't use it for my purpose, because everyone else will be able to use the original design. Again: There are no rules in place that say that someone else can't print bitnotes, so I will need to use copyright as a basis to make a genuine bitaurum-note a potentially expensive thing to copy. So sorry, if it's not original artwork, it doesn't qualify for the contest.

That being said: I appreciate everyone's effort so far and I am amazed by what people can do. There have been very good entries that have only been emailed to me and which I will not disclose until the contest is over (as per the artist's wish). There also were several requests for the vectorized logo, so I am hoping for some more entries by next week.
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:38:42 PM

No offense to the OP, by the way. I think the way to go about something like this though is to hire someone who has some sort of profile. Give them half up front and the rest if you decide to use their design. If not, let them keep the half payment-they put a lot of work in. I just feel bad when I see bounties offered and people essentially working for free.

I just enjoy being an asshole, so I came up with this new and ground-breaking idea on how to make people suffer. I shall name it "call for bids" or even "open tender", and nobody has ever done it before, especially for graphic designs. Disregard my first post (on how you don't have to enter a finished design to win, but just a conceptual piece that shows how you are up for it), disregard my attempt at licensing this under CC so non-winning contestants still earn the necessary attribution for derivative works. Disregard the fact that it's everyones free choice to participate, when you boil it down, it still is slavery, amirite?
Sorry for the sarcasm, but I believe it's a bad habit to feel victimized or offended in someone else's place. These are all smart people, let them decide if it's worth the effort. It's neither a publicity stunt nor a tease with a predefined winner. I want the best design that fits my requirements and this method will show me what's out there.

This brings me to the main reason I was stopping by: You can't just take an already existing design (mainly those published in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92969.680), put my logo on it and call it original artwork. If it's clearly a derivative work to something that was not published under a compatible license before, I can't use it for my purpose, because everyone else will be able to use the original design. Again: There are no rules in place that say that someone else can't print bitnotes, so I will need to use copyright as a basis to make a genuine bitaurum-note a potentially expensive thing to copy. So sorry, if it's not original artwork, it doesn't qualify for the contest.

That being said: I appreciate everyone's effort so far and I am amazed by what people can do. There have been very good entries that have only been emailed to me and which I will not disclose until the contest is over (as per the artist's wish). There also were several requests for the vectorized logo, so I am hoping for some more entries by next week.
I don't understand the sarcasm, I was not trying to fault you. I've just seen tons of bounty posts where the OP ends up choosing a design they like and not paying (since it was already made public). Perhaps I posted what I had to say on the wrong thread-you seem 100% good intentioned. But you have to admit, some people take advantage in similar situations.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 08:05:37 PM

I don't understand the sarcasm, I was not trying to fault you. I've just seen tons of bounty posts where the OP ends up choosing a design they like and not paying (since it was already made public). Perhaps I posted what I had to say on the wrong thread-you seem 100% good intentioned. But you have to admit, some people take advantage in similar situations.

Yeah, and we have scammer tags for them if they do it. Tongue
BitAurum (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 04:41:31 PM

Hello everyone, I'm just warming up the thread to remind everyone to submit their designs by tomorrow. The winner of the contest will be announced on Saturday.

Good luck!
acorn

I make pretty things.

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 01:43:21 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2013, 03:51:02 AM by acorn

Updated: I completed the SHA-2 compression function model and added it to the bill.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 01:53:32 AM

wow acorn. nice work.
GGGGG

Activity: 183

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 06:07:53 AM

Not a completed design, if it wins I will spend much more time polishing the design. Anyways, here's my entry.

BitAurum (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Hello everyone,

As promised I will now announce the winner of the bitaurum bitnote design competition. Sadly, if you check the first post, you will see that only entries that were sent to me by email could be considered, which disqualifies the designs by psy and acorn although I enjoyed them very much Undecided
(The reason for this rule is the irreversibility of email and thereby the lack of 1984-like effects. You can always manipulate externally hosted images on a board and then fight about who did what in reference to what was posted before...)

Back to the story: About one day after announcing the competition, I received a design by BitcoinLady (Mark and Barbara Messer, to my understanding), who obviously had been working on a project like this for some time. They quickly adopted to the requirements and within the last 2 weeks created a 90% finished design that only needs some more refinement. They wished not to be published before the contest is over, so I honoured this wish.

Here it is, the front of the winning design by BitcoinLady:

There are some refinements necessary, such as colour balancing the front and backside, implementing the byte-based denominator (there seemed to be a misunderstanding about it being a base-10-divisor to give Satoshis, milliBTC...), changing the image of John Locke to someone who was pro-paper-money (or at least not completely opposed Tongue), adding some security features (will be made public when the final design is available), ...

If these requirements are filled, I will wholeheartedly pay the 10 BTC as promised. Should there be any problems (which I of course don't expect), I would like the second and third place (2nd: psy; 3rd: acorn) to stand by for about 2 weeks before they publish the designs elsewhere, because I would like the option to commission your work without having to worry about licensing. After this period, I highly recommend making your designs available for the public under a CC license. They are nice to look at and might convince the odd stranger of your talent. All of this is optional for you, of course.

I would like to end by thanking all of the artists that participated. I hope nobody felt like their time was wasted and even thought only one of you could gain the "grand" prize, I hope that everyone has gained a bit of experience. Also, I learned that there is a lot of creative potential within the bitcoin community and I will gladly recommend you guys to any outsider that happens to pass by: It has been fun to be in contact with so many talented people and I know where to look when I have some more designing to do.

It has been a pleasure!

PS: That image of Hofer everyone keeps using is dreadful, I guess he didn't bring the best painters when doing guerilla warfare against the French Grin. Thanks very much to Mr.No who found this sculptor (http://jimsfigs.blogspot.de/2013/03/andreas-hofer-completed.html), some other paintings, as well as tools for exactly the job we try to get done here (http://www.guard-soft.com/strokes_maker.html).
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 05:18:38 PM

Good thing we were disqualified. That way your "licensing" for designs posted in the tread is invalid and my company retains 100% of our design copyrights.

Thank you for playing!
BitcoinLady

Activity: 374

Prima Inter Pares

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 06:32:38 PM

Hello everyone,

As promised I will now announce the winner of the bitaurum bitnote design competition. Sadly, if you check the first post, you will see that only entries that were sent to me by email could be considered, which disqualifies the designs by psy and acorn although I enjoyed them very much Undecided
(The reason for this rule is the irreversibility of email and thereby the lack of 1984-like effects. You can always manipulate externally hosted images on a board and then fight about who did what in reference to what was posted before...)

Back to the story: About one day after announcing the competition, I received a design by BitcoinLady (Mark and Barbara Messer, to my understanding), who obviously had been working on a project like this for some time. They quickly adopted to the requirements and within the last 2 weeks created a 90% finished design that only needs some more refinement. They wished not to be published before the contest is over, so I honoured this wish.

Here it is, the front of the winning design by BitcoinLady:

There are some refinements necessary, such as colour balancing the front and backside, implementing the byte-based denominator (there seemed to be a misunderstanding about it being a base-10-divisor to give Satoshis, milliBTC...), changing the image of John Locke to someone who was pro-paper-money (or at least not completely opposed Tongue), adding some security features (will be made public when the final design is available), ...

If these requirements are filled, I will wholeheartedly pay the 10 BTC as promised. Should there be any problems (which I of course don't expect), I would like the second and third place (2nd: psy; 3rd: acorn) to stand by for about 2 weeks before they publish the designs elsewhere, because I would like the option to commission your work without having to worry about licensing. After this period, I highly recommend making your designs available for the public under a CC license. They are nice to look at and might convince the odd stranger of your talent. All of this is optional for you, of course.

I would like to end by thanking all of the artists that participated. I hope nobody felt like their time was wasted and even thought only one of you could gain the "grand" prize, I hope that everyone has gained a bit of experience. Also, I learned that there is a lot of creative potential within the bitcoin community and I will gladly recommend you guys to any outsider that happens to pass by: It has been fun to be in contact with so many talented people and I know where to look when I have some more designing to do.

It has been a pleasure!

PS: That image of Hofer everyone keeps using is dreadful, I guess he didn't bring the best painters when doing guerilla warfare against the French Grin. Thanks very much to Mr.No who found this sculptor (http://jimsfigs.blogspot.de/2013/03/andreas-hofer-completed.html), some other paintings, as well as tools for exactly the job we try to get done here (http://www.guard-soft.com/strokes_maker.html).

Thank you very much, we really feel privilidged and happy!!!
Barbara and Mark Messer

MathCampbell

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:43:44 AM

I have to say, that there is some truly amazing work being done here, and whilst I preferred Acorn's design, the final one is also excellent....I was thinking I could enter this, but I'm clearly late to the game..

Out of interest, Acorn (And BitcoinLady)...what plugin/app were you using to do your Guilloches?  I know it can be done straight in Illustrator, but I'd love to know how you did it...I have a client looking for something similar...
BitcoinLady

Activity: 374

Prima Inter Pares

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 01:12:10 PM

As to guilloches - as we make mainly 3d designs in Rhino, we use it for this purpose. Rhino gives a lot more possibilities to manipulate curves and stack them in series. At the end we simply export it to Illustrator. The guilloches here are not very complicated - can be far more "baroque".

World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 04:36:32 PM

Front side

Back side

very nice

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: