Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:44:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How often is hash counter updated ? Does closing the client save current state ?  (Read 1316 times)
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 17, 2010, 10:59:42 AM

Hey,

As I understand, the client is doing the hashing in an organized manner, based on some counter. I mean that when i close the client, it saves the current state, so it can continue just where it left last time. Am i right ?

I was wondering how often is the client doing backup of current state in its database, because in an event on sudden power failure, they client could forget where it was and waste some amount of time doing the same work twice when it is turned on later. Is that the case ? Or is the counter saved in real time ?

So If I hard-reset my computer or kill the client with -9 parameter and then restart the client, will it pick up hashing exactly where it left, or will it start some stage from the beginning ?

I hope i made myself clear enough, because my english surely isn't perfect.

Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tcatm
qt

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
October 17, 2010, 11:02:22 AM

It doesn't matter where your client resumes hashing. Chances for finding a block are the same.
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 17, 2010, 11:06:02 AM

It doesn't matter where your client resumes hashing. Chances for finding a block are the same.

Even if it repeats exactly the same work that has been done before ? Curious.

tcatm
qt

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
October 17, 2010, 11:10:33 AM

It won't repeat work. It'll create a new block to work on and this block will be different from the last one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: