Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:53:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am about to do something massivley stupid  (Read 24100 times)
lucif

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Clown prophet

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 11:57:23 PM

I will be holding my breath until then

Only because of this you'll probably not stay alive.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:30:24 AM

Investing is little more than a fancy word for gambling. Borrowing money to gamble is a bad idea. You don't want to find yourself here in a few weeks asking for a loan to "win it all back". Remember only speculate with what you can loose.

Dead wrong.
Then we disagree. I have been investing for 25+ years. Financial instruments, stocks, angel investing, land, even art. I do my homework and it has paid well for me. However every investment came with risk and no promise of reward.
It's like horse racing, some horses are likely to better than others, but no horse is sure to win.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bullioner

Activity: 166
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:51:25 AM

Investing is little more than a fancy word for gambling. Borrowing money to gamble is a bad idea. You don't want to find yourself here in a few weeks asking for a loan to "win it all back". Remember only speculate with what you can loose.

Dead wrong.
Then we disagree. I have been investing for 25+ years. Financial instruments, stocks, angel investing, land, even art. I do my homework and it has paid well for me. However every investment came with risk and no promise of reward.
It's like horse racing, some horses are likely to better than others, but no horse is sure to win.

Doesn't this just come down to people having different definitions of gambling vs investing?  For some, investing means purchasing a productive asset to secure long term gains, whereas gambling means betting on a discrete outcome.  For those using those meanings, they are indeed very different things.  Investment still involves risk, of course.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:51:31 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 02:08:37 AM by Spaceman_Spiff

For people who do their homework, it is never a gamble.

How about  'the butterfly effect' and 'chaos theory' ?  No matter how prepared you are, you are never 100% sure.

That kind of questions makes me think that most people here are just high schoolers.
For you guys making any kind of investment is a gamble.

Why do I think you are a high schooler? You could have said, "how about risk and uncertainty", but no, you have to jump all the way to terms that are way out of topic, but common to find in youtube.

Haha, did you do your homework on predicting I am a highschooler  Wink ?  You would have lost some money on that gamble.... I am definitely not, just tried to put a little bit of variety in my wording .  
When you say: if you do your homework, it is never a gamble, I read that as you saying there is no risk, while in truth 1) there is always risk and 2)most investment decisions are much like a poker game.  The best players/predictors will (probably) gain, those that are worse (or happily hold their fiat and don't realize they are playing) lose value.  (If we get a bit more into it, ok not all investing is a zero-sum game as it will have an effect on the economy, but you get the gist of what I am saying).
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:59:40 AM

Dead wrong.

Doesn't this just come down to people having different definitions of gambling vs investing?  For some, investing means purchasing a productive asset to secure long term gains, whereas gambling means betting on a discrete outcome.  For those using those meanings, they are indeed very different things.  Investment still involves risk, of course.
I suppose we are on the same page after all. You are probably right about me being a little to loose with the word gambling. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:12:34 AM

How about  'the butterfly effect' and 'chaos theory' ?  No matter how prepared you are, you are never 100% sure.

Better not go outside today, might get run over.

No reason to put on a bicycle helmet or have insurance, chances of getting run over are slim, so they are zero.
Hawk72

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:44:57 AM

I don't see how this can possibly go wrong.
nanopene

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:49:19 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 03:08:54 AM by nanopene

That kind of questions makes me think that most people here are just high schoolers.
For you guys making any kind of investment is a gamble.

Why do I think you are a high schooler? You could have said, "how about risk and uncertainty", but no, you have to jump all the way to terms that are way out of topic, but common to find in youtube.

Haha, did you do your homework on predicting I am a highschooler  Wink ?  You would have lost some money on that gamble.... I am definitely not, just tried to put a little bit of variety in my wording .  
When you say: if you do your homework, it is never a gamble, I read that as you saying there is no risk, while in truth 1) there is always risk and 2)most investment decisions are much like a poker game.  The best players/predictors will (probably) gain, those that are worse (or happily hold their fiat and don't realize they are playing) lose value.  (If we get a bit more into it, ok not all investing is a zero-sum game as it will have an effect on the economy, but you get the gist of what I am saying).

No, you are still wrong.
Yes, there are risks, that's granted. But when I say investing, I mean actually knowing what the hell you are doing financially.
Popping to the stock market and purchasing some shares is not investing, that's gambling.
Jumping in to the purchase of shares without the bare minimum knowledge of fundamental analysis, is gambling.
Daytrading, is mostly gambling.

Gambling is speculating without any proof.
Investing is speculating based on information, and by making a very educated guess.

Follow the steps of value investing, and you will be on the right track on investing.
Otherwise, better stay away from any kind of markets.

PS: Then definitely college, undergrad Wink
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:51:55 AM

OP, you should've done it before recent 200% price increases.

Signature space available for rent.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:00:02 AM

PS: Then definitely college, undergrad Wink

Haha, no  Grin
XxionxX (OP)

Activity: 254

Digital money you say?

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:24:59 AM

I know! XD

But I also believe we have a long way to go Smiley

Lose big, win big, I am down for this gamble. Roll them bones!

FAP Turbo 2.0, the FOREX trading robot which also trades bitcoin!

I had to link it because I love the name. Seriously, that is the real name.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 05:53:19 AM

Its posts like these that show the top of the market cant be far away.

I thought about the same thing two years ago and luckily had a 2000 tuition refund from loans that went straight to a check. I can't see the price dropping more than $5-10 short term, but mid-long, ie 6-24 months, I believe it's up.
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 05:08:51 AM

try 800%

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 06:44:12 PM

What an idiot OP was...

Grin

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Ozymandias

Activity: 644

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:44:16 PM

So did OP actually go through with it?
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:56:33 PM

Would be funny if he did; and repaid the student loan in 20 days Cheesy Bought a camaro with the change.

i am satoshi
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:01:22 PM

He said he took out a $6k non-student loan for it.  So, yeah... good call OP.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 08:13:16 PM

Would be funny if he did; and repaid the student loan in 20 days Cheesy Bought a camaro with the change.

I think at this point (current price) I can pretty much pay off all my student loans and my husband's car as well, but somehow I feel like that would be a stupid thing to do  Tongue
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:16:00 PM

I think at this point (current price) I can pretty much pay off all my student loans and my husband's car as well, but somehow I feel like that would be a stupid thing to do  Tongue
Grin

Better hold on to the rest of them and see where it goes!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 08:18:38 PM

You learned that from your experience with that electric car?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: