Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:29:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The official Armory-for-OSX Bounty Thread [CLAIMED -- 25 BTC]  (Read 10382 times)
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:32:40 PM

I just got here, so I may need to go back and do some reading, but the app does absolutely nothing for me. Double clicking it does nothing, running ~/Downloads/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory in terminal simply returns... do I need to install something?

I can perfectly understand if not all dependencies could be bundled, but a little error would help me greatly Smiley OSX 10.6.8 here.

I'm working on making a Snow Leopard VM so I can test this. I think I know what the problem is, though. Does your computer have a 32-bit only processor (Core Duo)?

Nope, sorry about that Smiley It is 64bit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 12:09:13 AM

FYI:

Tested on a 2,53GH Macbook Pro (mid 2009, 15 inch), 4GB RAM, which had Armory already installed through Red Emerald's instructions

Everything ran smooth and I had the same performance and "feeling" running Armory from the .app or Red Emerald's install.

Only difference: with the .app the internally built OSX Firewall asks if I want to allow Python to receive incoming traffic, like it's listening to a port. With the install made with Red Emerald's instruction, OSX Firewall never asked that.

Obviously I did not allow it to receive incoming traffic (I don't see why, it's not bitcoin-qt) and it still ran OK. Outgoing traffic as per Red Emerald's: python connected to google, bitcoinarmory.com and github.

Last but not least, I broadcasted an offline signed transaction OK.

EDITED: I see that I allowed incoming traffic for python (Red Emerald's install), I must have forgot about it. So everything is the same on that sense. Btw: why is python/armory requesting for incoming transaction? Sorry for my ignorance

And thanks again for the best bitcoin client, by fair. Loving it in Linux, btw Wink

Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 01:29:51 AM

I really like the bounty idea. Any chance of you doing that for the rest of Armory development? I mean, I'd really like to see a Bitcoin Armory rpm for fedora users. Slap up a bounty and I'll donate to it, eventually there's bound to be enough fedora users that would like to have that. It was a real workaround for me to figure out how to get Bitcoin Armory to work for me on Fedora.

I'll offer a bounty to fix the makefile.  Seriously, all I need is the simplest of checks in the make file, and Armory compiles super-cleanly on all these *nix distributions.  Once the makefile goes looking for the .so instead of .a, having any versions of the dependencies should be sufficient. 

But yes, there will probably be more bounties in the future, to help with related things.  As long as they are well-contained, easily-verifiable problems, I am for bounties...

I'll donate if you'll just put the instructions I offered on the install page under the ubuntu instructions.

Just making good on my promise:

http://blockchain.info/address/15Lf5C4cfmDTccj8XfsiTj6gYcHSq8Lsn6

Thanks again!

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
higuys

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 06:39:03 AM

Right, I can't for the life of me get a snow leopard VM set up, so I'm going to need some more information. There has to be some error output.
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:21:00 AM

Right, I can't for the life of me get a snow leopard VM set up, so I'm going to need some more information. There has to be some error output.

I love how you are sure of that, it's kinda sweet Smiley

Ok, all jokes aside, I'll have a proper look at it today and will provide you with details other that "I clicked and it did not work".
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 02:47:13 PM

Also on Gatekeeper.  The nice thing about gatekeeper is how flexible it is.  If you hold option while you right click and app and select Open then you will have the option to bypass gatekeeper for this one app only (you don't have to turn the whole system off)

I have had occasional problems when this didn't work, if you move the download Quarentine flag then I have never come across a situation where this doesn't work. 

I just hate seeing the advice 'turn off gatekeeper' when it is such a great system.

FYI to remove the flag:
Code:
xattr -d com.apple.quarentine /path/to/app

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 02:50:46 PM

Also on Gatekeeper.  The nice thing about gatekeeper is how flexible it is.  If you hold option while you right click and app and select Open then you will have the option to bypass gatekeeper for this one app only (you don't have to turn the whole system off)

I have had occasional problems when this didn't work, if you move the download Quarentine flag then I have never come across a situation where this doesn't work. 

I just hate seeing the advice 'turn off gatekeeper' when it is such a great system.

FYI to remove the flag:
Code:
xattr -d com.apple.quarentine /path/to/app

Well, hopefully it won't be needed anymore.  I should have a proper, Class 2 code-signing certificate soon.  I assume that Apple trusts the same software as everyone else?  Or at least, it will present it with a non-scary warning (because it will now have my name instead of something else).

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
brandondayton

Activity: 41

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 06:26:01 PM

Works great for me. Right when I finished setting up ubuntu in a virtual machine to run Armory. Thanks!
TAiS46

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2013, 12:45:41 AM

Will donate 1 BTC after the Mac version will be public Smiley
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 02:33:03 PM

Took me a lot longer than expected to revisit this, sorry!

Code:
computer-2:MacOS cn$ DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=../Dependencies/QtCore.framework/Versions/Current:../Dependencies/QtGui.framework/Versions/Current:../Dependencies:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH bin/python armorybuild/ArmoryQt.pyc 
Illegal instruction
computer-2:MacOS cn$ DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=../Dependencies/QtCore.framework/Versions/Current:../Dependencies/QtGui.framework/Versions/Current:../Dependencies:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH bin/python
Illegal instruction

And I stand corrected, cause although I have a fairly recent i5 MBP, its kernel seem to be running 32bit mode

Code:
Darwin sc2.lan 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun  7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Hope it helps you help me...
sub0

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 12:19:04 AM

This is great. I've been wanting to try Armory. When can we expect the public version?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 12:29:46 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2013, 07:21:19 PM by etotheipi

This is great. I've been wanting to try Armory. When can we expect the public version?

I'm just finishing the crazy updates for 0.88, and then I will be doing an official release (after a testing period, probably over the next week).  As part of that process, I have to setup a different offline computer just to sign Windows and Mac binaries (this is turning into a real PITA just for signing Windows binaries in Linux, and so far I can't find anything at all that does OSX).  In order to avoid problems with the gatekeeper, I wanted to make sure the first actual OSX release is signed with a real certificate.

So to answer your question, probably next week.  Even if I wanted to, I don't have my system setup yet to do the signing... that's getting done Friday.
(yes, i'm a stickler for making sure identity information/signatures are kept offline)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
sub0

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 07:19:06 PM

Sounds good. Thanks for all the hard work!
ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 11:54:14 PM

Watching this thread for updates.  Can't wait to try this against multibit and the official client!

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:38:06 PM

I just got here, so I may need to go back and do some reading, but the app does absolutely nothing for me. Double clicking it does nothing, running ~/Downloads/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory in terminal simply returns... do I need to install something?

I can perfectly understand if not all dependencies could be bundled, but a little error would help me greatly Smiley OSX 10.6.8 here.

It seems to be working for me on OSX 10.8.3. At first, after double-clicking the app, it didn't appear to be working. Then I control-clicked on the "python" icon in the launchpad and selected "show all windows". . . Armory then started up.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:54:30 PM

etotheipi: could you please confirm that higuys .app is 100% safe to use?

I've been using Red Emerald's solution for a while, then I've tested higuys solution which is also working very good. Just wanted to know if you would recommend definitely switching to higuys app while we wait for an official OSX release.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 03:11:02 PM

I've been using Red Emerald's solution for a while, then I've tested higuys solution which is also working very good. Just wanted to know if you would recommend definitely switching to higuys app while we wait for an official OSX release.

Hi Rampion,

I can't confirm that.  The only way I'll confirm it is if I made it myself, but I haven't done that yet.  Luckily, I'm just about done with what I was doing, and have some time now to try the OSX building as higuys laid out for me.

Let's see how far I get...

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:14:49 PM

Hi Rampion,

I can't confirm that.  The only way I'll confirm it is if I made it myself, but I haven't done that yet.  Luckily, I'm just about done with what I was doing, and have some time now to try the OSX building as higuys laid out for me.

Well, to be honest now I'm kinda worried of having used extensively higuy's solution. Not your fault of course.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 03:16:22 PM

Hi Rampion,

Well, to be honest now I'm kinda worried of having used extensively higuy's solution. Not your fault of course.

What I said shouldn't make you any more concerned than you were before.  There's plenty of trustworthy people around here, I just don't trust anyone but myself to release my software. 

keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:58:19 AM

Hi. I tested higuys' build on an iMac running 10.8.3 and it runs fine. The only real problem I have is that the memory usage is very high, about 1.7G, so it takes a big bite out of the maximum of 4G I can install on this iMac. I remember reading somewhere in this forum that optimisation is something that is being worked on. Is the memory usage likely to drop significantly?

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: