Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Luke-Jr an enemy of Bitcoin ? [poll]
Yes
No
I don't know

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is one of the devs (Luke-Jr) an enemy of Bitcoin ?  (Read 5335 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 08:56:55 AM

From what I've seen of Josh Blue LukeJr on stage, I don't think he should be in procession of sharp objects.

Link to video please ?

Sure! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0pdmqdb5Uc

At 1:52, LukeJr hi-five's a fellow dev.

Enjoy!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 09:21:38 AM

Luke has a point.

As much as I'm a libertarian, it's also true that social rules make life a lot easier.

You don't have to be a libertarian to use Bitcoin.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 10:04:30 AM

Luke has a point.

As much as I'm a libertarian, it's also true that social rules make life a lot easier.

AFAIK libertarians believe that social rules are n3ecessary, but there should be a minimal government.

No, but you cannot be against libertarianism either, you have to accept that there are libertarians (and even anarchists & crypto-anarchists) using the currency and live with it.
Otherwise sooner or later you will start to fight what you don't like, which makes you an enemy of Bitcoin - that is what I am talking about.

Its exactly the same with cash - because of people who are against cash, governments of the world are actively fighting cash, and forcing every bigger money transaction to be bank-to-bank transaction.

Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 10:09:31 AM

+1

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 10:57:07 AM

Luke has a point.

AFAIK libertarians believe that social rules are n3ecessary, but there should be a minimal government.

No, but you cannot be against libertarianism either, you have to accept that there are libertarians (and even anarchists & crypto-anarchists) using the currency and live with it.
Otherwise sooner or later you will start to fight what you don't like, which makes you an enemy of Bitcoin - that is what I am talking about.

Its exactly the same with cash - because of people who are against cash, governments of the world are actively fighting cash, and forcing every bigger money transaction to be bank-to-bank transaction.

Yes, bitcoin is fully agnostic about any human beliefs.
mobodick

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 10:58:09 AM

From what I've seen of Josh Blue LukeJr on stage, I don't think he should be in procession of sharp objects.
Wielding the pen sharply, are we?
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 11:03:00 AM

Yes, bitcoin is fully agnostic about any human beliefs.

The concept of a brainwallet is incompatible though with Marx's "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs".

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 01:43:34 PM

Wrong on all counts. There are two realities. The
People are always the weakest chain and that is the reason Bitcoin exists: to route around human imperfections.
No. This is your delusion. Even if other nuts share it, it isn't reality.

Reality is populated by humans, who created machines. Your delusion is true so long as you believe it.

And when someone shuts off the computer for you, you will return to reality.
mobodick

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 02:04:15 PM

Wrong on all counts. There are two realities. The
People are always the weakest chain and that is the reason Bitcoin exists: to route around human imperfections.
No. This is your delusion. Even if other nuts share it, it isn't reality.

Reality is populated by humans, who created machines. Your delusion is true so long as you believe it.

And when someone shuts off the computer for you, you will return to reality.

Reality is ONLY VERY VERY SCARCELY populated by humans so humans are basically irrelevant in any discussion about reality...
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 05:25:33 PM

Wielding the pen sharply, are we?

Only pokin' a little fun at LukeJr's expense. I ain't got no horsey in this here race, but I do admire the work LJ does, albeit I don't understand it, let alone able to do it.

I made the mistake another time of calling out the looks of some other user's avatar, of which he changed shortly thereafter. I learnt later that he's not a bad looking fellow. As far as myself goes, I may look halfway decent, but when I smile one can see I'm missin' a few teeth. Probably the only feature about myself I would change, and will with extractions and dentures. At least my brain's still sharp as a box of crayons.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:18:20 PM

At least my brain's still sharp as a box of crayons.

U mean half of ur brain? LOL
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:32:29 PM

he already ironed that out!
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 07:49:35 PM

I see, sorry for my little English  Grin
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2013, 12:01:35 AM

I see, sorry for my little English  Grin

Is there an echo in here?
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 12:26:45 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2013, 03:04:12 AM by FirstAscent

Luke has a point.

Over in the Politics forum, there's a constant argument between the libertarians and others. I can't stand libertarianism myself. Just my opinion, but libertarianism is a terrible idea, and there are sound arguments as why it is.

Oh, and besides, Bitcoin is impotent against taxes. How deluded do you have to be to think Bitcoin could ever allow one to evade taxes except when it's a hobby currency?

Think. If Bitcoin becomes useful, then taxes will be implemented differently. For example, taxes will be based on the height of your fence, or how many shingles are on your roof, or how big your waist is.

Don't be a moron.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 01:55:49 AM

FirstAscent, I want you to know that I've decided to fence off all of my property.  In honor of your posting here.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 08:15:11 AM

Luke has a point.

Over in the Politics forum, there's a constant argument between the libertarians and others. I can't stand libertarianism myself. Just my opinion, but libertarianism is a terrible idea,

Then you will make a great slave.
But don't count me in.

Think. If Bitcoin becomes useful, then taxes will be implemented differently. For example, taxes will be based on the height of your fence, or how many shingles are on your roof, or how big your waist is.

They can take your car and your house, but they will still be unable to take your Bitcoins. You can sell the house and car for Bitcoins, and they cannot take anything from you anymore.

So taxing people having Bitcoins is not as easy as it might seem at first. This will probably lead to lowering taxes to an acceptable (for almost everybody) level.

I myself think that the TOTAL amount of taxation (including all hidden fees and taxes) should not exceed 10%. 10% is a fair amount of taxation which i could bear.

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:12:25 PM

Luke has a point.

Over in the Politics forum, there's a constant argument between the libertarians and others. I can't stand libertarianism myself. Just my opinion, but libertarianism is a terrible idea,

Then you will make a great slave.
But don't count me in.

They can take your car and your house, but they will still be unable to take your Bitcoins. You can sell the house and car for Bitcoins, and they cannot take anything from you anymore.

So taxing people having Bitcoins is not as easy as it might seem at first. This will probably lead to lowering taxes to an acceptable (for almost everybody) level.

I myself think that the TOTAL amount of taxation (including all hidden fees and taxes) should not exceed 10%. 10% is a fair amount of taxation which i could bear.

Are you going to live in your flashdrive full of bitcoins? No. You're then going to have to rent from someone who owns a house and pays taxes, and he'll pass the expense on to you. You're a bonehead.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 03:58:23 PM

This will probably lead to lowering taxes to an acceptable (for almost everybody) level.

Why do you think that? They would increase the taxes instead.

Actually, I'll tell you what happens when masses don't want to pay taxes... The people that pay taxes get rich, and the rest begin working for them. Sounds counter-intuitive, doesn't it?

First, they increase barriers of entry to do anything substantial. Sure, you can sell trinkets online or baby sit, but that will be the limit of your business reach. Business that conform dominate every market and pass the expenses to the customers. Customers rush to gray markets, but they also get overwhelmed by big businesses in time.

Moral of the story: You need to have a very good plan if you are going to challenge the State's power.

Now, back to the topic, you are still saying this:

This is speculation on your part. What if I don't think it will ever come to that because libertarians are impotent? I can perfectly support Bitcoin because of some features I like, and I might think that the potential use by libertarians will never be a problem in a scale greater than the benefit Bitcoin brings.

You could say that they might become damaging to your plans of using Bitcoin to libertarian ends, but that's what being an enemy of libertarianism means anyway.
trepper

Activity: 89
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:23:29 PM

Actually, I'll tell you what happens when masses don't want to pay taxes... The people that pay taxes get rich, and the rest begin working for them. Sounds counter-intuitive, doesn't it?

First, they increase barriers of entry to do anything substantial. Sure, you can sell trinkets online or baby sit, but that will be the limit of your business reach. Business that conform dominate every market and pass the expenses to the customers. Customers rush to gray markets, but they also get overwhelmed by big businesses in time.

Moral of the story: You need to have a very good plan if you are going to challenge the State's power.

Roll Eyes
Can't disagree!

It's also a good idea to think twice about the true nature of the "State's power".
Who owns it, for example...
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: